Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2010, 22:45   #256
Senior - BHPian

XM1+ on my Esteem

Finally got the XM1+ for my Esteem today. The ride is better though I do not see any significant difference. Have done close to 30KM after the change now. Will wait and watch.
Old 21st March 2010, 23:04   #257
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhuvan_prasad View Post
I hope so too . The tyres are going to be put through a rigorous workout, given the state of some of our highways, and will show their true colours then. Btw, I have 195/60 R 14's on my OCH, they are pirelli P6000'S. I've had a real good experience with them, regarding grip in both dry and wet(unlike some online reviews). Could you give your expert opinion on them, compared to the XM1+?
They are decent tyres. I think they are about the same as XM1+s. Maybe a little better, but I go only by the marketing stuff. Havent used them personally.
Old 26th March 2010, 13:13   #258
BHPian

XM1+ tyre pressure

Maruti recommends 29psi for the JK's which come on the Ritz Zxi, considering that the michelin XM1+ i swapped them with, are also of the same size, i should stick with 29 psi for them also, right? Should I increase it for the highway? There will be 4 of us (70kgs each) plus minimal luggage (30kgs max) in the car during the road trip.
Old 26th March 2010, 13:36   #259
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Maruti recommends 29psi for the JK's which come on the Ritz Zxi, considering that the michelin XM1+ i swapped them with, are also of the same size, i should stick with 29 psi for them also, right? Should I increase it for the highway?
Keep same tyre pressure as recommended by manufacturer, you can increase it by half to one psi for highway drive.
Old 26th March 2010, 13:50   #260
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Should I increase it for the highway? There will be 4 of us (70kgs each) plus minimal luggage (30kgs max) in the car during the road trip.
Ideally, for highway journeys you must increase the pressures by a few psi. Since you are currently running 29 psi, you can increase the pressure to about 32-33 psi and enjoy a smooth ride.

Remember to fill the tyres only when cold. Try experimenting with different pressures depending on the type of road that you will encounter on your journey to find just the right compromise.

When i switched over to the B'stone ER60s on my Santro, I did a highway drive with 31 psi initially (recommended - 30 psi) and found the ride very harsh, increased it to 33 psi on my drive back home and the tyres worked brilliantly in terms of both comfort levels and grip.
Old 26th March 2010, 14:29   #261
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
When i switched over to the B'stone ER60s on my Santro, I did a highway drive with 31 psi initially (recommended - 30 psi) and found the ride very harsh, increased it to 33 psi on my drive back home and the tyres worked brilliantly in terms of both comfort levels and grip.
The ride became better as you increased psi ?? I thought ride gets better as one decreases the tyre pressure, as the tyre adapts more to the undulations and unevenness the road throws up.
Old 26th March 2010, 15:32   #262
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The ride became better as you increased psi ??
Well, this was on the highway and a rather bad one - the BLR-Pondicherry state highway. Of the overall distance about 10% of the roads are really bad and about 20% are tolerable. It is over this 20% stretch of the entire distance that the ride was very good with pressures at 33 psi.

The ER 60s (tubeless) soak up the undulations and bad patches very well.
Old 28th March 2010, 14:04   #263
Senior - BHPian

Have covered about 250 kms on the Michelin XM1+ now on my Esteem and there is noticeable improvement in the ride quality. The car seems to sail smoother than before. Overall, am happy with the buy. Need to assess the performance after a few thousand kms.
Old 28th March 2010, 14:53   #264
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ideally, for highway journeys you must increase the pressures by a few psi. Since you are currently running 29 psi, you can increase the pressure to about 32-33 psi and enjoy a smooth ride.
33 PSI for Alto's tyres ? 12" ? Unless you have upgraded.
I too fill more on highways, but max to 31 PSI.
At 29 PSI I found the tyres to be very very noisy especially
on concrete. It was unbearble at times. I pulled to the first roadside
tyre guy and upped to 31. Silence all the way!
Old 28th March 2010, 14:56   #265
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post
Keep same tyre pressure as recommended by manufacturer, you can increase it by half to one psi for highway drive.
Where did u find a gauge to increase the pressure by 0.5 psi ?
Quote:
Well, this was on the highway and a rather bad one - the BLR-Pondicherry state highway. Of the overall distance about 10% of the roads are really bad and about 20% are tolerable. It is over this 20% stretch of the entire distance that the ride was very good with pressures at 33 psi.

The ER 60s (tubeless) soak up the undulations and bad patches very well.
What tire did u have before getting the Turanza ER60 ?

Last edited by kpzen : 28th March 2010 at 14:58.
Old 29th March 2010, 09:18   #266
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Where did u find a gauge to increase the pressure by 0.5 psi ?
Digital display. Just the way vernier caliper that you have access to can display two digits beyond decimal point, portable air compressor that I use shows air pressure in half psi increments in its digital display.
Old 29th March 2010, 09:51   #267
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
What tire did u have before getting the Turanza ER60 ?
The OEM Bridgestone S322. They served me well - changed at 57,000 kms!
Old 3rd May 2010, 09:52   #268
@ri
BHPian

Michelin's for i20 asta

Hi Guys,
I'm planning to change the stock tires of the i20 at the time of delivery which come with Apollo Aceleres. I got Michelins on my Zen and just love them, so kinda highly inclined to going for the change. Checked out with some dealers for the change and got a quote of 7K for changing all the 5.
Now I have couple of questions, (1) How are the Apollo's in terms of performance, and (2) If I go for the change, I am thinking of an upgrade to 195/60 R14s from the stock 185/65 R14s. Intend to keep the stock alloys. Would this be a good upgrade and hope it wont affect the GC too much!
~@ri
Old 3rd May 2010, 14:21   #269
Distinguished - BHPian

You would be throwing away good money. The Michelin is a good tyre, but not worth a 7k premium over the OEM Apollos.

The Apollo Aceleres are very very good tyres. Dont change them now... let them run their life. Then go and buy your favourite Michelins!
Old 4th May 2010, 10:35   #270
@ri
BHPian

thanks Nikhilb2008 for the suggestion. I was seriously in two minds. I so love the Michelins!!! I think I'll just keep the Apollos for now

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks