Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th July 2010, 19:10   #316
BHPian

XM1+ vs Yoko A drive

I am trying to source either XM1+ or Yoko -185/70/14 - for my imminent change of the stock JK tyres on swift vdi that has done 47.5K. With monsoon around I get this scary feeling when the speedo get close to 100KPH(Roads and traffic around Trivandrum is pathetic, highways are the worst).

I ve been hopping around various tyre shops in the town and it is hard to find shops with these brands. 2 of them are TyrePlus(Yoko A drive or S drive) near Technopark and Universal(Michellin XM1+) near Kumarapuram. The lady at Tyre Plus said it would be around 4000K for Yoko A drive(including fitting and alignment) and details for S drive would arrive tomorrow. Does anyone know if S drive is performance tyres(i am ignorant)? The guy at Universal said Michellin XM1+ would cost 3800. Guys, which sounds better?

Also a guy in one of the shops i called suggested to go for Bridgestone, i think it was the Turanza ER-60.

I prefer comfort over performance - lesser noise, smoother ride and no less grip than the stock tyres. So should I go for Yoko(A/S drive), Michellin XM1+ or Bridgestone Turanza ER-60. Please advise this first-timer...

Thanks in advance, this thread was like Bible for me to get this far on my quest to get a shoe upgrade for my Swift Vdi.
Old 16th July 2010, 22:01   #317
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by glidealong View Post
I am trying to source either XM1+ or Yoko -185/70/14 - for my imminent change of the stock JK tyres on swift vdi that has done 47.5K. With monsoon around I get this scary feeling when the speedo get close to 100KPH(Roads and traffic around Trivandrum is pathetic, highways are the worst).

I ve been hopping around various tyre shops in the town and it is hard to find shops with these brands. 2 of them are TyrePlus(Yoko A drive or S drive) near Technopark and Universal(Michellin XM1+) near Kumarapuram. The lady at Tyre Plus said it would be around 4000K for Yoko A drive(including fitting and alignment) and details for S drive would arrive tomorrow. Does anyone know if S drive is performance tyres(i am ignorant)? The guy at Universal said Michellin XM1+ would cost 3800. Guys, which sounds better?

Also a guy in one of the shops i called suggested to go for Bridgestone, i think it was the Turanza ER-60.

I prefer comfort over performance - lesser noise, smoother ride and no less grip than the stock tyres. So should I go for Yoko(A/S drive), Michellin XM1+ or Bridgestone Turanza ER-60. Please advise this first-timer...

Thanks in advance, this thread was like Bible for me to get this far on my quest to get a shoe upgrade for my Swift Vdi.
You're correct, S.Drives are performance tyres, XM1+ is a comfort oriented tyre. Since you prefer comfort over performance, I would recommend XM1+.

Wherever you buy from, ensure that the dealer is authorised to sell the brand chosen and ask for the warranty card (NA with Yokohama) and Bill.
Old 17th July 2010, 00:54   #318
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk13 View Post
You're correct, S.Drives are performance tyres, XM1+ is a comfort oriented tyre. Since you prefer comfort over performance, I would recommend XM1+.

Wherever you buy from, ensure that the dealer is authorised to sell the brand chosen and ask for the warranty card (NA with Yokohama) and Bill.
Thanks TSK, The prices seems right to you? I think this thread itself mentions that Yoko are cheaper than Michellin, but here i get a 200rs higher price for Yoko. Why is warranty NA for Yoko? they are selling it grey in India?

Any fellow Trivandrum TBHPians out there to help me with the choice of showroom?
Old 17th July 2010, 15:15   #319
BHPian

Guys, I have got Tata Manza (Aura ABS qudra) and want to change the tyres.

Which is the best upsizing I can go for and which brand?

I require Comfort, Less Noise, and should be able to last long (20-25k kms)

Please suggest if Michelin XM1+ will do the job"?
Old 18th July 2010, 00:11   #320
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks TSK, The prices seems right to you? I think this thread itself mentions that Yoko are cheaper than Michellin, but here i get a 200rs higher price for Yoko. Why is warranty NA for Yoko? they are selling it grey in India?

Any fellow Trivandrum TBHPians out there to help me with the choice of showroom?
Glidealong, I meant Yoko doesn't issue Warranty Cards and the bill is the sole proof of purchase and warranty. I can't comment on the prices since I'm not having any information regarding them.Yoko S.Drives might be expensive than XM1+, which I think is due to the former belonging to Performance range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vahss_11 View Post
Guys, I have got Tata Manza (Aura ABS qudra) and want to change the tyres.

Which is the best upsizing I can go for and which brand?

I require Comfort, Less Noise, and should be able to last long (20-25k kms)

Please suggest if Michelin XM1+ will do the job"?
For comfort and low road noise, the following are most-recommended (in Aplhabetical order):
  • Continental CPC2
  • Michelin Primacy LC
  • Yokohama Decidel
All tyres mentioned above have dedicated threads which you can browse for obtaining further insight.
Old 19th July 2010, 14:27   #321
BHPian

Ive been running xm1+ on my verna crdi for almost 20k km now. While the comfort and silence has been amazing, the last few thousand km I seem to be struggling for grip. Tire squeal while turning even at moderate speeds is very evident and on an ABS car the tires are losing grip on heavy braking. Unable to determine what the issue could be. Brakes have been checked completely and pads replaced. Are my tires faulty? THere seems to be no loss of tread or anything as such.
Old 19th July 2010, 14:54   #322
Senior - BHPian

^same problem faced by me and another user on another forum on his getz. check my cars ownership thread and see the condition of the tread when I disposed it. It had enough tread to last another 10k kms. I had mine replaced at 25k or so when I lost grip went sliding off on some wet roads

The tyres are really good but this sudden loss of grip is weird. Have you done proper tyre rotation ?
Old 19th July 2010, 16:04   #323
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottle View Post
^same problem faced by me and another user on another forum on his getz. check my cars ownership thread and see the condition of the tread when I disposed it. It had enough tread to last another 10k kms. I had mine replaced at 25k or so when I lost grip went sliding off on some wet roads

The tyres are really good but this sudden loss of grip is weird. Have you done proper tyre rotation ?

When I got the tires at tyrestore odo was around 10k. Now touching 29k. I was told that rotation every 15k is enough, but had it done during service at 21000 km itself, so 4k km earlier.
When I found my front brakes locking I had the car taken to the service center again at around 26000km, had the front brake pads changed cause they had worn out on the left side completely,and had everything checked up.
Things seemed to be fine when I found that the car was losing grip constantly and losing direction on heavy braking.
Headed to tire store, they put the car onto the ramp and raised it.
He rotated each tire with his hands, and came to the conclusion that since the rear tires were rotating freely and the front were not, the brakes are jamming in front and have not been calibrated properly during brake pad change and that is the reason for them losing grip. I dont know how valid his conclusion was, so I said ok and left.
Can anyone comment on this for me?
Old 19th July 2010, 16:56   #324
BHPian

XM1+ price sounds right however Yok A Drive price seems higher. I picked up Yoko 13 inches for my Esteem about 4 months back at around 3K per piece. The ride is defintely good, however it is a bit noisy compared to XM1+. XM1+ is very silent and supremely comfortable (the accent back home has got those).

I have used Bridgestone Potenza G3 on the M800 as well as on Esteem. Those were noisy and a bit hard however the grip levels is decent. They last very long.

Quote:

Old 19th July 2010, 16:56   #325
BHPian

Quote:
Have you checked with New bharath Tyres.Its near Enchakkal Bypass.
Old 19th July 2010, 17:08   #326
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pras.oct25 View Post
When I got the tires at tyrestore odo was around 10k. Now touching 29k. I was told that rotation every 15k is enough, but had it done during service at 21000 km itself, so 4k km earlier.
When I found my front brakes locking I had the car taken to the service center again at around 26000km, had the front brake pads changed cause they had worn out on the left side completely,and had everything checked up.
Things seemed to be fine when I found that the car was losing grip constantly and losing direction on heavy braking.
Headed to tire store, they put the car onto the ramp and raised it.
He rotated each tire with his hands, and came to the conclusion that since the rear tires were rotating freely and the front were not, the brakes are jamming in front and have not been calibrated properly during brake pad change and that is the reason for them losing grip. I dont know how valid his conclusion was, so I said ok and left.
Can anyone comment on this for me?
Firstly the front donot rotate as freely as the rear ones anyway. The rears mostly have drum brakes and secondly disc brakes have a little brake drag. Also the front's are the driving wheels hence they have the axle connected to it. So if the front is not rotating as freely as the rear, its perfectly fine.

Yes if your car is not maintaining a straight line during hard braking, then its something which needs checking.

If the front brake on the left side had worn out completely, did the service station guys investigate why so had this happened ? Something a jammed calliper can cause this to happen.

I have Xm1's in my swift diesel since the car was new. 1 year 7 months, 28 thousand km out of which 80% is pushing the tyre to the max, but still they stick like glue and the performance has not changed at all.
Old 19th July 2010, 21:26   #327
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
Firstly the front donot rotate as freely as the rear ones anyway. The rears mostly have drum brakes and secondly disc brakes have a little brake drag. Also the front's are the driving wheels hence they have the axle connected to it. So if the front is not rotating as freely as the rear, its perfectly fine.

Yes if your car is not maintaining a straight line during hard braking, then its something which needs checking.

If the front brake on the left side had worn out completely, did the service station guys investigate why so had this happened ? Something a jammed calliper can cause this to happen.

I have Xm1's in my swift diesel since the car was new. 1 year 7 months, 28 thousand km out of which 80% is pushing the tyre to the max, but still they stick like glue and the performance has not changed at all.
Had everything verified. Was given the green signal. No apparent reason for the left side wearing out faster.
Old 20th July 2010, 18:36   #328
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullboy View Post
Have you checked with New bharath Tyres.Its near Enchakkal Bypass.
i was trying them on phone for last one week and no one was picking up.. wierd.

Today I drove to the shop during lunch time, the shop looks good and they have every brand and every size readily available. The price quoted for XM1+ was 4000 apiece and for Yoko A drive was 3300 apiece and 300 rs for alignment. So I think if i go for XM1+ , Universal seems to be the best choice (3800 apiece and 200 rs alignment means 1100 rs savings).
If Yoko, New Bharat seems to be the best. My colleage just got his new Figo fitted with Yoko A drive 185-65-14 and looks cool...

I need to make up my mind fast, one tyre got busted the other day - the first puncture all this time.
Old 21st July 2010, 12:55   #329
BHPian

Life span of Yoko A drive vs XM1+

Can someone with prior experience let me know the life span of Yoko A drives and Michelin XM1+, I know it differs from person to person and one vehicle to another, but there must be some kind of information to put things in perspective. Really i want to justify spending a premium for XM1+
Old 21st July 2010, 15:29   #330
Senior - BHPian

glidealong,

XM1+ will last longer than Yoko A Drive. This can be some where around 10% of tyre life.
When you have extracted 47K KM on JK, you can extract 50+ on XM1+ for sure.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks