Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th November 2010, 13:54   #406
BHPian

Upgraded to Michelin XM1+ 175/65/R14 on my Vista from Goodyear GT3's. However I am quite disappointed since I had waited for almost 1 month as tyres were unavailable and now I have still not noticed significant difference in the ride or comfort. I chose them over Bridgestone Turanza which were readily available & were newer (4010) compared to the Michelin's (3110).
All those who have migrated to Michelin's have reported improved ride quality & comfort.

Am I missing something?
Old 29th November 2010, 14:10   #407
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by josejoseph View Post
Can I have more info on this?

Even I'm facing the same problem. How do you deal with this?

Thanks,
Jose.
The purolator is by silme. I bought it from US for $21. Below is link to it:
Amazon.com: Slime Smart Spair 15-Minute Emergency Tire Repair Kit: Automotive

Well few people around told me to remove them periodically using a screw-driver. But it isnt a permanent solution.

Also, these pebbles if not removed timely, can they damage the thread? or have effect on grip?
Old 29th November 2010, 14:12   #408
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1977 View Post
Upgraded to Michelin XM1+ 175/65/R14 on my Vista from Goodyear GT3's. However I am quite disappointed since I had waited for almost 1 month as tyres were unavailable and now I have still not noticed significant difference in the ride or comfort. I chose them over Bridgestone Turanza which were readily available & were newer (4010) compared to the Michelin's (3110).
All those who have migrated to Michelin's have reported improved ride quality & comfort.

Am I missing something?
Have you reduced the tyre profile while upgrading?

My new tyres are 1 upsize of the original hence im bound to notice the extra profile and extra rubber -> 145/70R13 to 155/70R13

Also, my old tyres were 8yrs old and had lost all its softness.
Old 29th November 2010, 14:25   #409
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Am I missing something?
Check the air pressure.
Stick to mfg recommendation.
Old 29th November 2010, 15:02   #410
BHPian

Quote:

Am I missing something?
Maverik, even I felt the same when I changed from Ceat to Michelins in my M800. Grip was better, and there was not much considerable improvement in driving comfort. Even the steering felt the same with the new tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by devrajman View Post
The purolator is by silme. I bought it from US for $21. Below is link to it:
Amazon.com: Slime Smart Spair 15-Minute Emergency Tire Repair Kit: Automotive
Thanks for the info. I am looking for an electronic foot pump. Found one for Rs. 700/- in Big Bazaar. But I'm not sure about the quality. Trying to get one from eBay. But seems like most of them are quite expensive.

Quote:

Well few people around told me to remove them periodically using a screw-driver. But it isnt a permanent solution.

Also, these pebbles if not removed timely, can they damage the thread? or have effect on grip?
Even I think that is the only solution to use a screw driver or so to remove the pebbles which can damage the tire thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Check the air pressure.
Stick to mfg recommendation.
kpzen, what is the correct air pressure for 155/70/R12 on Maruti 800?

Thanks,
Jose.
Old 29th November 2010, 22:11   #411
BHPian

Michelin XM1+ with Nitrogen at manufacture recommended pressure works great!

Quote:

Am I missing something?
Hi Maverick1977,

I too dumped my stock JK Tornados (167/80 R14) after 67K KMS and fitted Michelin XM1+ 180/70 R14 on my Swift VDi.

I have filled nitrogen as per company recommended pressure recently and completed 500 kms in the last 5 days.

I would say that they are a class apart and are the most comfortable ones that I have driven on.

I can compare it with JK Tornados, JK Vectra and Bridgestone Turanza ER60 and this tyre is much softer and hence rides smoothly.

Compared to my earlier tyre these feels comfortable and feels like someone has laid out a thick rubber sheet on the road.

Steering is slightly hard but road feedback is still good. Car rolls much freely now and I can feel myself using breaks more frequently than before. Noise is almost gone.

Cornered in the Rajarhat Expressway @ 70 kmph and car seemed to be planted

In the highway drove the car at 130 kmph and the drive was smooth and confident.

Body noise and clatters seems to have decreased due to the soft rubber.
Have never felt that the car was so smooth even when I took the delivery of the new car.

I had a noticeable difference between State 1: 4 Michelin XM1+ with normal air and State 2: 4 Michelin XM1+ with Nitrogen.

State 1:
1. Steering was very light
2. Grip was better than stock JK
3. Ride comfort was good and I could feel a cushioning below me

State 2:
1. Steering has become a bit heavy
2. It is extremely Grippy
3. Ride conform is EXCELLENT now. Cant believe that just N2 can make such difference. The shop's approach is a bad patch of road and when I drove in, I felt the bricks and the stones that were laid out. After filling N2, when I came out, the same road seemed like a tarmac. Could not feel the brick laid road. The small gravels gave me a steering feedback, but was very silently taken by the tyres.

So, I have become a fan of Nitrogen in my 50km drive back home. Got so interested that I was intentionally taking the car through all sorts of bad patches in the road.

But mind it I am maintaining 36 psi in front and 33 psi at the rear as written in my B-pillar.

Regards
Ranendra
Old 4th December 2010, 10:00   #412
BHPian

I was running with stock Bridgestone on my 2005 NHC. It clocked 40K and just upsized to Michelin XM1+ 185/65/R14. I am very happy with the breaking, and riding conforts.

The noticeable changes are, low tyre noise, increased pickup at humps, good handling and breaking. I am very happy at this point. Lets see after couple of 1000 kms.

Thanks
Rajesh
Old 5th December 2010, 12:25   #413
BANNED

Quote:
I am looking for an electronic foot pump. Found one for Rs. 700/- in Big Bazaar. But I'm not sure about the quality. Trying to get one from eBay. But seems like most of them are quite expensive
josejoseph: Don't buy any tyre related stuffs from e-bay. Get it from any local dealer at Cochin.
Old 5th December 2010, 12:39   #414
BHPian

How to Identify XM1+

Could anyone tell me how to identify XM1+ from XM1?
Thanks in advance.

HC
Old 5th December 2010, 14:10   #415
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habanero City View Post
Could anyone tell me how to identify XM1+ from XM1?
Thanks in advance.

HC
The sidewall will read XM1+.
Old 6th December 2010, 17:35   #416
BHPian

I doubt if the XM1's are still available. Last when I spoke to the dealer he said only XM1+ are available in the retail market.
Old 10th December 2010, 13:50   #417
BHPian

Re: Michelin XM1+

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
josejoseph: Don't buy any tyre related stuffs from e-bay. Get it from any local dealer at Cochin.
Mithun, any shop that sells good foot pumps or air pumps in Cochin?

I can see some good brands of air pumps in eBay. Only problem is that they are darn expensive or are not shipped to India. Will wait for some time while I continue my search. Till then I'll depend on my near-by petrol bunk.

Thanks,
Jose.
Old 10th December 2010, 16:24   #418
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I doubt if the XM1's are still available. Last when I spoke to the dealer he said only XM1+ are available in the retail market.
My Jazz came with the 175/R15 profile XM1's. Not sure if you can get them in the retail market though.
Old 11th December 2010, 20:16   #419
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9thsphinx View Post
My Jazz came with the 175/R15 profile XM1's. Not sure if you can get them in the retail market though.
9thspinx,
You hit the nail on the head.
My new ANHC too has same tires as your Jazz and so I was wondering why they are not XM1+ ?
Though I chose Michelin among others and got it, I some how thought the tires would be the latest for ANHC.
Originally I was planning to upgrade the tires, but refrained from doing so as I could get Michelin with my new car.
Looks like I did not get what I wanted.
But don't know if this is a good enough reason to change to Michelin Primacy.
Any thoughts buddies?

HC
Old 16th December 2010, 20:07   #420
BHPian

I had a general query,

Does over-inflation of high profile tyres help in high speed cornering?

As over-inflation lessens tyre flex and makes it sturdy?

I have 155/70R13 and it flexes a lot at 30PSI

Last edited by devrajman : 16th December 2010 at 20:12.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks