Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2017, 10:32   #421
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 135
Thanked: 184 Times
Default Re: Ford Fiesta : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Hi Guys,

I own a Fiesta 1.4EXi with stock steel rims ,which has crossed the one lakh mark just this week. I have changed the tires previously to Yoko C-Drives 185/65R14 which are around 40K Kms old and are due for a change. I have seen the calculations for the upsize to 195/60R14, which is the closest to the stock size of 175/65R14.

I have 3 questions for people using these tires,

1. Any rubbing issues?
2. Do you guys think there would be any increase in tire weight compared to the 185's?
3. i am inclined towards ZlO's as i find them to be cheaper than Yoko Earth 1. Any comment on Ceat's? What do you guys say??

Thanks
Rohit_Quad is offline  
Old 31st August 2017, 11:42   #422
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 6
Thanked: 6 Times
Default Re: Ford Fiesta : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

For my Fiesta 1.6Sxi, I have upsized to Michelin Energy XM2 195/60 R14 Tyres, more than 10 months back. I have been driving in Bangalore and also drove to Chennai once, a distance of 360 KM - so drove with the upsized tyres in all possible speeds and for a considerable duration.

1) No rubbing issue or any other issues at all. Immediately after upsizing from the stock tyres, felt a positive difference in the ride quality. Of course, now don't feel that because we get used to that eventually.
2) I guess there could be a marginal increase in weight and due to the higher profile, marginal drop in mileage too. 1% lower reading both in speedometer and odometers - many have already explained this point in the thread.
sivaselvam is offline  
Old 1st September 2017, 09:56   #423
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 135
Thanked: 184 Times
Default Re: Ford Fiesta : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivaselvam View Post
For my Fiesta 1.6Sxi, I have upsized to Michelin Energy XM2 195/60 R14 Tyres, more than 10 months back. I have been driving in Bangalore and also drove to Chennai once, a distance of 360 KM - so drove with the upsized tyres in all possible speeds and for a considerable duration.

1) No rubbing issue or any other issues at all. Immediately after upsizing from the stock tyres, felt a positive difference in the ride quality. Of course, now don't feel that because we get used to that eventually.
2) I guess there could be a marginal increase in weight and due to the higher profile, marginal drop in mileage too. 1% lower reading both in speedometer and odometers - many have already explained this point in the thread.
Thanks for the info. As i have mentioned in the post, i have 14 inch steel rims, does your SXI come with alloys? I had the similar feeling when i got my Yoko C Drives initially. I know about the speedo error and am not much concerned about it. How much did you get your tyres for in Banglore?
Rohit_Quad is offline  
Old 1st September 2017, 10:46   #424
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 6
Thanked: 6 Times
Default Re: Ford Fiesta : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

My Sxi has Ford's alloy wheels, that come by default with the model. It looks to me alloy or steel rim, should not matter for upsizing. I don't remember exactly the price that I paid per tyre. I have paid Rs.32,800 total for 5 tyres, alignment and balancing charges and think that I would have paid Rs.6200 per tyre. Decided to change the tyre for Stepney too since I don't want to ever ride with one smaller size old tyre when I need it. I did not have time to do extensive check with various places for lowest cost of purchase and hence bought these from a nearby Tyre-Empire outlet, hoping that the prices can't be too varying across varying dealers. I bought these in September 2016 and all the tyres were 2016 made. An online search showed prices at much lower rate, but they were not listed in Bangalore and then decided to buy from a local dealer; wanted to look at the tyres before taking the plunge.
sivaselvam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2017, 23:37   #425
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 135
Thanked: 184 Times
Default Re: Ford Fiesta : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivaselvam View Post
My Sxi has Ford's alloy wheels, that come by default with the model. It looks to me alloy or steel rim, should not matter for upsizing. I don't remember exactly the price that I paid per tyre. I have paid Rs.32,800 total for 5 tyres, alignment and balancing charges and think that I would have paid Rs.6200 per tyre. Decided to change the tyre for Stepney too since I don't want to ever ride with one smaller size old tyre when I need it. I did not have time to do extensive check with various places for lowest cost of purchase and hence bought these from a nearby Tyre-Empire outlet, hoping that the prices can't be too varying across varying dealers. I bought these in September 2016 and all the tyres were 2016 made. An online search showed prices at much lower rate, but they were not listed in Bangalore and then decided to buy from a local dealer; wanted to look at the tyres before taking the plunge.
@ Siva - I was told by one of the reputed tire shops that a 195 would be too much for a steel rim designed for a 175 profile tire. That was the main reason why i got 185's in the first place. Hence the question. I guess i'll get a set of 195/60R14 this time.

Not sure about the brand though, the dilemma being the difference in prices. Indian companies like CEAT have such a set close to 14K while the International companies sell the the same size tires around the 21K mark. I am taking about the cost of 4 tires and nothing else. I know that the imported ones have few benefits, but does that justify the difference in price?
I changed form the MRF ZV2K to Yoko C-Drives, but with the vehicle crossing 1L mark, just a bit confused about splashing money on it. My thought is that, the cash saved on the tires can be used for other parts in the car, such as a new pair of rotors and pad's, etc. Suggestions are most welcome.

PS. It is my daily driver and we cover close to 1k to 1.5K Kms each month only in the city. I do not drive sedately nor do i completely slow down for pot holes. The increase in ride height after the 185's has helped the car a lot, by not scraping the under side in any situation. And the grip from the C-Drives in all situations astonish me till date, acceleration, cornering and breaking.
Rohit_Quad is offline  
Old 5th September 2017, 00:35   #426
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 6
Thanked: 6 Times
Default Re: Ford Fiesta : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

FYI, http://www.1010tires.com/Tools/Tire-...0R14/195-60R14. I have seen many times, neither the tire shop personal nor the authorized Ford service personnel have any knowledge in these matters. Ford service discourages us to do any change and they will scare you saying it is risky. I don't have any a tangible idea whether the higher price that we pay for imported tires, is worth it. I went for Michelin because I have read that they are soft in nature compared to Indian ones, and hence they provide better road grip; also that I could afford the price difference. 'Whether something is worth it - analysis' is very individualistic. I think you can't go wrong even if you buy the cheaper CEAT tire of your chosen size.
sivaselvam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2017, 09:45   #427
BHPian
 
adneeraj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Pune
Posts: 127
Thanked: 165 Times
Default Re: Ford Fiesta : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

So while we're on this topic of Fiesta car tire, I've come across a situation on my stock tires that I got with the car - the Goodyear GT3.
They seem to show enough tread to last another 10-15k and have done 35k as of today.
The problem is that the tire has twice given way on the same spot (puncture on a puncture) in a span of 3 weeks. I'm afraid that does not tell too much good about the quality of the compound.
Can anyone tell me if there could be other reasons for this? My usage has gone down over the past year and the car has done just about 8k in the last 12 months. I do maintain required pressure at all times.

I'm planning to swap them with michelin xm2 if at all I HAVE to swap them.
Appreciate your inputs.
adneeraj is offline  
Old 20th September 2017, 12:27   #428
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 6
Thanked: 6 Times
Default Re: Ford Fiesta : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Apart from the distance driven, the age of the tires also a factor to decide on replacing. If the tires are older than 5 years, even if one has not driven them close to 50000KM and treads are decent, still better to change, since with age the tires gradually lose their structural strength, due to expansion and contraction. If you get a puncture at the same place twice, it is a good indication that you have to change that tire. No one can possibly tell why such a thing happened for sure. It may be just that that region of the tire has worn out and prone to punctures. But one would not want to risk driving with that and face an unexpected tire blowing-up, especially when being driven at top speeds.
sivaselvam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2017, 00:00   #429
BHPian
 
adneeraj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Pune
Posts: 127
Thanked: 165 Times
Default Re: Ford Fiesta : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivaselvam View Post
Apart from the distance driven, the age of the tires also a factor to decide on replacing. If the tires are older than 5 years,
You know what, I did a 200 km drive this morning and the GT3s are acting all crazy. It felt as if I was driving on tires that had half the air pressure I should carry.
Started this morning, tanked up at shell, checked air pressure and actually kept it a bit high as I was traveling with 4 passengers. The steering wheel was wobbling like crazy. I've never driven a car like that ever.
My first suspect was wheel balancing. I knew it was overdue. But the wobble was concerning.
Since I was traveling in the outskirts of Pune on the Nashik highway, I got no decent tire shop enroute. Concerned that my family was with me, I decided to stick to a speed limit of 60-70 kph.
Entered Pune and drove straight to my friend's place to get out checked. Asked my family to take an Uber back home from there
I am for checking the wheel balancing and alignment. My friend looks at the tires and suggests I replace them immediately.
Stupid of me not to click pictures of the tires I replaced. As said on this forum, 3 out of 4 tires had developed a bulge. Compound was hard. The bulge was more on the inner side and wasn't really visible if the car was squatting on those.
Decided to change immediately as I have another 300 kms to belt tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivaselvam View Post
If you get a puncture at the same place twice, it is a good indication that you have to change that tire.
Exactly.. The compound was so hard that the earlier plug was giving way
I think I was very lucky to have driven that 200 kms without any untoward incident and to have taken the decision today to replace those awful tires..

The car did not even need alignment when it climbed up that well.. Thats how I like to keep her.
I'm excited for tomorrow's drive I have with her. Will update soon on how I find the tires..

PS. I wanted michelin on my swift too but just couldn't afford them then. Really happy to have them now.
adneeraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2017, 12:53   #430
BHPian
 
petrolhead_neel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Burdwan
Posts: 701
Thanked: 1,316 Times
Default Re: Ford Fiesta : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Hi all,

So our beloved TooFun (2015 Classic 1.6 ) is now 2 years 5 months old with around 32k kms on the odo. She is still running on stock rubber, i.e Apollo Alnacs, and they are average at best. They still seem to have quite some life left. Since this is our first car, I am not really experienced when it comes to changing tyres. When should I know that it's time for a change?

Since she is mostly chauffeur driven and has to carry out the duties of a responsible family car, I was thinking something along the lines of Yokohama Earth 1 when the time comes, maybe a bit wider in profile than the stock tyres. We plan to retain the stock alloys as of now and when we get a secondary car and she truly becomes a weekend car some years down the line, I plan to change to 15 inchers.

Thanks in advance.

Neel
petrolhead_neel is online now  
Old 23rd October 2017, 17:41   #431
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 224
Thanked: 89 Times
Default Re: Ford Fiesta : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Hi,

Have ford fiesta 1.4 exiles 2010 model at home, running on stocks, done 40k kms.
Recently at the service the rear bearings were changed, and the SA was adamant on getting the tyres changed.

The tread depths are still good, and I dint find anything wrong with the tyre though, but as it has been 7 years, I am thinking of getting them changed immediately.

The car is rarely used, need suggestions for a suitable tyre for kerala, considering that the run is not much, the stock tyres are tubeless and are on steel rims.

Regards
Shailesh
aspire is offline  
Old 4th February 2018, 11:29   #432
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 194
Thanked: 204 Times
Default Re: Ford Fiesta : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

It's time to change the 195/65 R15 B250s on my 1.6S as the tyre has become a bit hard and small cracks have started to show up. Have had zero punctures on these tyres and the grip is sufficient for my use. The tyre noise is a bit high at higher speeds, but nothing unmanageable. Thinking of getting another set of these. Are there any better options?

Also, the stock alloys have done close to a 100k kms now. They're in good shape and doesn't look like there are any bends or cracks. Is it recommended to change them?

Does anyone here use 16" or 17" wheels on the fiesta?
Vysakh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2018, 16:46   #433
BHPian
 
akshay380's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Goa
Posts: 841
Thanked: 863 Times
Default Re: Ford Fiesta : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Back in this thread since Fiesta needs new tires now. I'm torn between Conti MC5 (Rs5500/pc) and Yoko S drives (5230/pc) in 195/55/R15 size. Sadly 205/50/R15 isn't available in Goa currently. Utmost priority is steering feel+handling. What should I go for? Thanks in advance.
akshay380 is offline  
Old 19th May 2018, 19:34   #434
Senior - BHPian
 
aravind.anand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,777
Thanked: 3,437 Times
Default Re: Ford Fiesta : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay380 View Post
Back in this thread since Fiesta needs new tires now. I'm torn between Conti MC5 (Rs5500/pc) and Yoko S drives (5230/pc) in 195/55/R15 size. Sadly 205/50/R15 isn't available in Goa currently. Utmost priority is steering feel+handling. What should I go for? Thanks in advance.
I had the S-drives on my car earlier, and the MC5 currently. I did move to 195/60 R15, as I was in search of a more comfortable ride. As for handling, the S-drives were much better, they felt far more connected than what the MC5 feel. So if handling and steering feel is of utmost importance, it has to be the better looking Yokohama S-drive with a stiffer side-wall definitely.
aravind.anand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2018, 20:01   #435
BHPian
 
akshay380's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Goa
Posts: 841
Thanked: 863 Times
Default Re: Ford Fiesta : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
I had the S-drives on my car earlier, and the MC5 currently. I did move to 195/60 R15, as I was in search of a more comfortable ride. As for handling, the S-drives were much better, they felt far more connected than what the MC5 feel. So if handling and steering feel is of utmost importance, it has to be the better looking Yokohama S-drive with a stiffer side-wall definitely.
Thank you boss. Can you send me a text on my mobile? You have the number
akshay380 is offline  
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2020, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks