Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th January 2016, 19:05   #391
BHPian

Re: Ford Fiesta : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeevan Sukumar View Post
Thank you my dear friend for the immediate reply. Based on your suggestion I had a discussion with my fellow showroom guy and he is very much happy for a demonstration of both yoko earth 1 and XM2. But he expressed his personal opinion as yokos are little bumpy over XM2's and Bridgestone. Have any comments?
XM2 have a soft sidewall and compound overall. Mine lasted 50k Kms though.

Now switching to the yokos, ride is definitely bumpier but that can be due to 34 PSi that I have. I will deflate to 32Psi and let you know.

Overall the yokos are sturdier, that is why I asked you the kind of roads you commute on. If the roads are good then there is no reason to choose the Yokos. XM2s are superior in all dimensions, they look better too. That's a huge plus. The sidewall shape etc is like a high end premium tire.

Yokos are a good bargain and a good overall tire. The area where they score above the XM2 is only in the sidewall sturdyness department. If you need that, only then consider the yokos or if you want save 600 Rs/tyre, which is alot.

I hope this clears up your doubts.
Crazy_Bean is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th May 2016, 09:58   #392
BHPian

How can i get to know the manufacturing date of Energy XM2 tyres and how many months old tyre after manufacturing in Fresh condition is recommended while changing the tyres.

My Ford Classic came with Goodyear tyres which were good for nothing and last week one of the tyre started bulging out, because of which the steering was wobbling which got replaced with my stepney and the same phenomena I have seen in one other tyre too now, which is in the early stage. After thorough research I'm planning to upgrade my tyres to Michelin XM2 185-65/R14 from the stock 175-65 R14.

Can some one help me how to recognize the tyre manufacturing date and the age of a recommended new tyre I can choose while changing all 4 tyres. I got a deal from Cartisan for 4950 per tyre at Shiv Shakthi Tyres & Alloys @JC rd Bangalore. Is that a good deal for the above tyre?
Old 4th May 2016, 10:16   #393
BHPian

Attaching some pics of that Goodyear tyre to demonstrate its present condition.

Can someone help me to identify the issue with the circled part? its kind of a deep spot with the lining coming out, dont know how it happened. The wheel alignment people told me it because the tyre was old when it was fitted to the new car which is the reason behind this deep spot only at a specific area along with the bulging issue.

Is that right? Have anyone experienced this before, also If I had ignored the steering wobbling I would have ended up in bursting the tyre in the middle of some road, Ohh God I cant even imagine it!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Ford Fiesta : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_20160501_092517.jpg  

Ford Fiesta : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_20160501_092550.jpg  

Ford Fiesta : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_20160501_092559.jpg  

Ford Fiesta : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_20160501_092603.jpg  

Ford Fiesta : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_20160501_092817.jpg  

Ford Fiesta : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_20160501_092837.jpg  

Old 4th May 2016, 10:33   #394
BHPian

*Pics are of the Stock Goodyear GT3 tyres
Old 11th May 2016, 22:44   #395
BHPian

Call it a coincidence - I had the exact same problem with the Yoko's A Drive on my Fiesta and in my case it did burst - luckily with a negligent impact.

I had taken my car to a mechanic to inquire as I was suspecting a worn out shocker/bearing but the wobbling increased as I drove and finally as I parked - it just popped out.

I know not many will like or approve of it but I have not had good experience with Yoko's as well as Michelin XM2 - on the contrary - I loved the ZV2K that came as stock. Just me ?
Fiest@DuraTec is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2016, 00:51   #396
BHPian

Thought about it and calculated that have run my old tyres for about 55k now - all have tread left but have hardened out. Time to change.

Want to upgrade to 185's from stock and have the following in mind -
1. Pirelli P6.
2. Continental EC3.
3. Yokohama Earth 1.
4. Michelin XM2.

These are going to be on a 10 year old Fiesta. Suggestions ?

OT : Any good mechanics around Kondapur area(infact any trusted mechanic in hyd) who can help with diagnosing a few problems in the car (eg - compression in one of the cylinders)? Don't want to go with dealer as they will straightaway burn a hole in my pocket.

Thanks much !

Last edited by Fiest@DuraTec : 12th May 2016 at 00:54.
Old 12th May 2016, 01:22   #397
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiest@DuraTec View Post
Thought about it and calculated that have run my old tyres for about 55k now - all have tread left but have hardened out. Time to change.

1. Pirelli P6.
2. Continental EC3.
3. Yokohama Earth 1.
4. Michelin XM2.

These are going to be on a 10 year old Fiesta. Suggestions ?

OT : Any good mechanics around Kondapur area(infact any trusted mechanic in hyd) who can help with diagnosing a few problems in the car (eg - compression in one of the cylinders)? Don't want to go with dealer as they will straightaway burn a hole in my pocket.

Thanks much !

After my current experience with the MX2, of blindly say go for it. I think I'll keep advising people to use them. They've been brilliant to say the least. ~12,000kms and a year later, I've had just 1 puncture. The low noise with great grip (wet and dry) and comfort makes it worthy of every penny (rupee) spent for them.
GranvilleDsouza is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2016, 07:38   #398
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranvilleDsouza View Post
After my current experience with the MX2, of blindly say go for it. I think I'll keep advising people to use them. They've been brilliant to say the least. ~12,000kms and a year later, I've had just 1 puncture. The low noise with great grip (wet and dry) and comfort makes it worthy of every penny (rupee) spent for them.
I have seen a review in some website about XM2 that it's very soft and because of which its getting punctures every now and then even with sharp stone pieces too? I'm in plan to get the stock goodyears upgraded to XM2 185- 65 from the stock 175- 65s which ll get a nominal increase in ground clearance too. Hope that will not hamper the existing driving comfort and handling which I enjoy in my Classic now.
Please help. Also do tell me if there are any disadvantages with this enhancement.
Old 12th May 2016, 10:10   #399
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibin View Post
Hope that will not hamper the existing driving comfort and handling which I enjoy in my Classic now.
Please help. Also do tell me if there are any disadvantages with this enhancement.
I have 185/65-R14 Yoko Earth1 on My fiesta now. Absolutely no issue. It would be better be with 185/65 rather than 175/65 in rough road, huge humps! I will stick with Yoko's as I have good experience with them earlier with A-drive. I feel earth1 is better than A-drive, which were far better than Zv2K which came from factory.

Main disadvantage with 185/65 is cost, plus some mileage (.25km/l in city ride). I am not sure going with softer tires will add into fuel consumption, thus affecting mileage. I would accept drop in mileage gladly for comfort it provides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiest@DuraTec View Post

1. Pirelli P6.
2. Continental EC3.
3. Yokohama Earth 1.
4. Michelin XM2.

Thanks much !
I would recommend Eathr1 based on personal usage (10K+ kms). However let me tell you that Earth1 or XM2 won't last more than 40K kms, like Zv2ks, because they are softer tyres and tend to wear-out faster! If you are interested in long life, stick to Zv2ks or Apollo accellors.
RaguHolla is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2016, 10:16   #400
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaguHolla View Post

However let me tell you that Earth1 or XM2 won't last more than 40K kms, like Zv2ks, because they are softer tyres and tend to wear-out faster! If you are interested in long life, stick to Zv2ks or Apollo accellors.
My XM2s on the Figo have completed 47600 clicks and are good for another 3000 kms (not for highway driving though).
vnabhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2016, 10:55   #401
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
My XM2s on the Figo have completed 47600 clicks and are good for another 3000 kms (not for highway driving though).
Thank you sir ! I was thinking of trying something new which gives better grip and handling and have been reading about Pirelli P6 as well as Continental EC3. Called up a few dealers - all pushing for XM2/B250 and none seem to have them both.

Per my prior experience, with the ZV2K which came in as stock, XM2 and A-drive - i liked ZV2K the most(provided you keep the air just a tad on the lower side). I know most people won't agree but that was my experience.

If none found, I'll probably go for Earth 1.
Old 12th May 2016, 15:15   #402
BHPian

Quote:
I have 185/65-R14 Yoko Earth1 on My fiesta now. Absolutely no issue. It would be better be with 185/65 rather than 175/65 in rough road, huge humps! I will stick with Yoko's as I have good experience with them earlier with A-drive. I feel earth1 is better than A-drive, which were far better than Zv2K which came from factory.

Main disadvantage with 185/65 is cost, plus some mileage (.25km/l in city ride). I am not sure going with softer tires will add into fuel consumption, thus affecting mileage. I would accept drop in mileage gladly for comfort it provides.

I would recommend Eathr1 based on personal usage (10K+ kms). However let me tell you that Earth1 or XM2 won't last more than 40K kms, like Zv2ks, because they are softer tyres and tend to wear-out faster! If you are interested in long life, stick to Zv2ks or Apollo accellors.

Can you help me in going with the best choice out of the following:

185-65 or 185-60 instead of the current 175-65 stock tyres in my Classic.
Old 12th May 2016, 15:27   #403
BHPian

Quote:
Can you help me in going with the best choice out of the following:

185-65 or 185-60 instead of the current 175-65 stock tyres in my Classic.
Go with 185/65-R14. I have this on Yoko Earth1. No issue whats so ever scrapping. They take bumpy road nicely. They are of course add 2% error in ODO reading, but that's ok.
RaguHolla is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th May 2016, 15:34   #404
BHPian

Quote:
Go with 185/65-R14. I have this on Yoko Earth1. No issue whats so ever scrapping. They take bumpy road nicely. They are of course add 2% error in ODO reading, but that's ok.

Thanks RaguHolla for the quick revert
Old 12th May 2016, 16:09   #405
BHPian

Quote:
I have seen a review in some website about XM2 that it's very soft and because of which its getting punctures every now and then even with sharp stone pieces too? I'm in plan to get the stock goodyears upgraded to XM2 185- 65 from the stock 175- 65s which ll get a nominal increase in ground clearance too. Hope that will not hamper the existing driving comfort and handling which I enjoy in my Classic now.

I've used them on bad roads, roads under construction too and in 12,000kms had one puncture, mainly cause one of the grounds I drive or park at has mandap settings and there are nails at times.
The comfort and handling on these are brilliant. Had made me very confident compared to the stock JK the car came with. Hardly feels like a car that's 8 years old. Also just 30k on the ODO to be noted.
The choice is all yours. XM2 has said to have numerous problems about sidewalls and punctures but I and many others haven't faced those issues at all. Also, I guess many would not move from what Michelin offers.
Regular alignment/balancing and tyre pressure will make sure those issues don't arise in my opinion
GranvilleDsouza is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks