Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2022, 21:34   #121
BHPian

Re: Wheel alignment & balancing in the NCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankitsharma View Post
Any ideas of good WB&A centre in Ghaziabad ? My Skoda Rapid is due for alignment and balancing. Last time I got it done from Apollo Tyre shop in Patel Nagar. Results were satisfactory but they use pneumatic fasteners which have already scratched the Rims.
If you want Hunter equipment, head to JK Tyres on CISF road, Indirapuram. I found them to be good.
sinharishi is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2022, 21:47   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinharishi View Post
If you want Hunter equipment, head to JK Tyres on CISF road, Indirapuram. I found them to be good.
Thanks man. Are you referring to the JK tyre steel wheels ?

Particularly this: https://maps.app.goo.gl/MpS3Mz9JZwV8vCnq5
Old 6th April 2022, 22:08   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankitsharma View Post
Thanks man. Are you referring to the JK tyre steel wheels ?

Particularly this: https://maps.app.goo.gl/MpS3Mz9JZwV8vCnq5
Yes. There is Resham Tyres also on the same road but no first hand experience.
sinharishi is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2022, 22:12   #124
BANNED

I have found alignment from VW to be satisfactory, am I missing something?
I have tried Hunter machines from an MRF outlet long ago but car still went left, so stuck with VW
Old 24th September 2022, 15:26   #125
Senior - BHPian

Guys, any new suggestions for wheel alignment in Gurgaon. Seems both Star and Dawn auto are not recommended.
Pancham is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2022, 15:28   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
Guys, any new suggestions for wheel alignment in Gurgaon. Seems both Star and Dawn auto are not recommended.
Star is best according to me. They have a new machine as well and are fast in work.
rayjaycleoful is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 25th September 2022, 07:55   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Personally used Jyoti Tyre Sales and got fantastic service there. It’s in Sector 47 and it’s an MRF T&S. Star is good but problem is the location - Old Gurgaon roads are so bad they throw the wheels out of alignment
RubberGuru1113 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th September 2022, 12:40   #128

Is the Pirelli place the best place for alignment + balancing in Delhi? Are there any other alternatives? Thanks a lot!
Old 7th October 2022, 13:48   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubberGuru1113 View Post
Personally used Jyoti Tyre Sales and got fantastic service there. It’s in Sector 47 and it’s an MRF T&S. Star is good but problem is the location - Old Gurgaon roads are so bad they throw the wheels out of alignment
I always see this place when I go for my car wash nearby. Massive setup this Jyoti Tyres place is. Looks very professional and neat. I am heading there this weekend for Tyre rotation etc. and see how it goes.
ankitahuja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2022, 16:18   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankitahuja View Post
I always see this place when I go for my car wash nearby. Massive setup this Jyoti Tyres place is. Looks very professional and neat. I am heading there this weekend for Tyre rotation etc. and see how it goes.
Take my word for it, the technicians who work there are also an extremely diligent lot. Most importantly, they are having a hydraulic lift to lift up the vehicle, free the wheels, and do a suspension check. Make sure you ask the technician to do it before your wheels are removed.

What I like best about them is that they take their time and don't rush the job. For example, in alignment, if the toe specification is 0 + 1 minute (which means the value can range between -1 to 1 minute) they take the pain to set the value at exactly the specification value of 0 and are not satisfied with just bringing the value within the specifications.

Do share your thoughts on the place here after you experience their service. Sometimes I feel bad that they are not more well known. They also have an outlet in Faridabad which is an even bigger setup with the same name - Jyoti Tyre Sales.
RubberGuru1113 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2022, 15:45   #131
BHPian

Visited Jyoti Tyres and Service outlet in Gurugram. My steering was slighlty offset to left and therefore there was a slight pull.

For some reason the location on map was directing to Raheja Mall on Sohna road. But I chanced upon the actual location by luck. It is on Vikas Marg.

Positives:
They were willing to adjust rear toe on my Duster AWD which a lot of places don't want to, or say it is not adjustable.

They were diligent in work and had to adjust twice the measurements according to the machine on my insistence.

Negatives:
The 'ustaad ji' guided the technicians accoding to the machine. Once done, he printed out the results, turned off the machines and proceeded to adjust again using a string and eyeballing the adjustments. I insisted the alignment to be set according to the machine. The ustaad was somewhat offended and said no need but I was adamant and got my way.

When they were rotating tyres, I had to force them to jack up from company specified jack points rather than from centre below the gearbox. This might have ticked off the workers but gearbox is not the jacking point however strong it may be. I may be wrong about strong but I want to stick to the right way of doing a job.

Job done to my satisfaction and now the steering is straight with no pull (left or right) and the steering feels lighter.

Last edited by 88_TANK_88 : 10th October 2022 at 15:48.
88_TANK_88 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th October 2022, 17:39   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88_TANK_88 View Post
The 'ustaad ji' guided the technicians accoding to the machine. Once done, he printed out the results, turned off the machines and proceeded to adjust again using a string and eyeballing the adjustments. I insisted the alignment to be set according to the machine. The ustaad was somewhat offended and said no need but I was adamant and got my way.[/b]
Hi,

Can you share how much did you pay for alignment and balancing separately?
Checking by string and test drive for final alignment is not a bad technique in my opinion. I actually prefer it and have been getting my cars aligned like this over two decades. Never had uneven or premature wear.

Unless you are setting land speed records on public roads, for within speed limit driving basic alignment machines and string in hand of an experienced technicians is good enough.

Cheers
vishwaschettri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2022, 19:36   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishwaschettri View Post
Hi,

Can you share how much did you pay for alignment and balancing separately?
Checking by string and test drive for final alignment is not a bad technique in my opinion. I actually prefer it and have been getting my cars aligned like this over two decades. Never had uneven or premature wear.

Unless you are setting land speed records on public roads, for within speed limit driving basic alignment machines and string in hand of an experienced technicians is good enough.

Cheers
I paid INR 530 for alignment only. The wheels were balance two days back when I changed the wheels of the car at Chakra Wheels and Tyres, New Delhi.

I agree that string check is widely used, but there has to be a logic behind the need and use case.
It may be useful when only the front alignment is to be done (with non adjustable rear end) or when they hook up sensors only on front wheel. What is the point of adjusting to specified set of parameters and then immediately undo so without a drive. As I said, the person adjusted according to machine and undid all of it using string before a test drive. On checking again on the machine (after the test drive), the toe was 2 degree on the left side. Not 0.2 but 2.0. I would rather trust the calibrated machine over a piece of string and eyeballing.
88_TANK_88 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th October 2022, 15:27   #134
BHPian

Quote:

The 'ustaad ji' guided the technicians according to the machine. Once done, he printed out the results, turned off the machines and proceeded to adjust again using a string and eyeballing the adjustments. I insisted the alignment to be set according to the machine. The ustaad was somewhat offended and said no need but I was adamant and got my way.

When they were rotating tyres, I had to force them to jack up from company specified jack points rather than from centre below the gearbox. This might have ticked off the workers but gearbox is not the jacking point however strong it may be. I may be wrong about strong but I want to stick to the right way of doing a job.

Job done to my satisfaction and now the steering is straight with no pull (left or right) and the steering feels lighter.
Excellent observation and fair point. You were right to insist on getting it adjusted as per machine values, and also about the jacking point. Ideally they should have used the lift to free the wheels for rotation (with rubber blocks) but perhaps there was another vehicle occupying the bay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishwaschettri View Post
Hi,

Quote:

I agree that string check is widely used, but there has to be a logic behind the need and use case.
It may be useful when only the front alignment is to be done (with non adjustable rear end) or when they hook up sensors only on front wheel. What is the point of adjusting to specified set of parameters and then immediately undo so without a drive. As I said, the person adjusted according to machine and undid all of it using string before a test drive.

On checking again on the machine (after the test drive), the toe was 2 degree on the left side. Not 0.2 but 2.0. I would rather trust the calibrated machine over a piece of string and eyeballing.
This is a common misconception and I have seen this with many people - trust an experienced mechanic over a calibrated machine. Let me ask you, the toe specifications are generally in the order of minutes, not even degrees. 1 minute = 1/60 of a degree. Baleno for instance has a front toe spec of 6 +/- 6 minutes, which means a range of 0 to 12 minutes, with 6 being the spec. I fail to understand how rudimentary string measurements would capture such a minute value.

Sure, experienced mechanics generally go by their impression of what "looks" correct to them and make the adjustment accordingly, but that could very well turn out to be wildly off spec as in this case - 2 degrees is a huge deviation from the spec (which is usually in and around 0).

This also brings me back to another point - periodic calibration of the machines is essential (at least once in 6 months) and this is rarely followed, especially in Gurgaon (as opposed to Chennai where I used to live). Jyoti is one of the few who do it which is why I keep going back to them.

But fair point, I agree with all of 88_TANK_88's observations, and he was absolutely right to insist on adjestment as per the machine values.
RubberGuru1113 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2023, 13:49   #135
BHPian

Quote:
Why isn’t Dawn auto recommended anymore ?

Did you have a bad experience? I was planning to visit them this weekend for WA + WB

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks