Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2008, 11:22   #46
Team-BHP Support

Tadu do you think it is worth checking up your suspension? You got it done the day after you changed the tyres.

I think what Ford Rocam meant was you should try it on another car since your car has an added variable of suspension change. What all was changed in the suspension?

Most of the problems highlighted appear to be under suspension compression so it could be the suspension geometry playing foul. I wouldn't rule out the tyres so easily especially since these are high performance tyres. I was reading a few online reviews yesterday and owners of infinity G35, BMW 3 and 5 series have been very happy with them.

Instead of selling them straight off you could try out these experiments. What if you get PP2 and find the same issue. Why not try a swap with one of the elantras. That way you can check your suspension with the other car's PP2's and the S-drives can be tried on a working suspension system. I think that's worth it as Jitu says.
Old 20th October 2008, 11:33   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
They're like fancy G-IIIs, that's about it.
a bit , but are G III's that bad ?
Old 20th October 2008, 11:53   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Tadu do you think it is worth checking up your suspension? You got it done the day after you changed the tyres.

I think what Ford Rocam meant was you should try it on another car since your car has an added variable of suspension change. What all was changed in the suspension?
Was planning to go to Kerala the next day morning, as I had told you, and hence that search for tires on a public holiday when most of the shops were closed. And the suspension change was done after postponing the trip(else I would have done it later), just because I did not feel comfortable with the cars grip level anymore, after we changed the tires. I thought the suspension is at fault, and as you know, there is nothing much else I can do except ask the showroom to replace it.

About what is changed, Struts/Springs/Lower arms and a bunch of links for which I dont know the names. And I was there while they were doing it, for sure new parts were used, and I collected the old ones. Done at Advaith Hyundai.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Instead of selling them straight off you could try out these experiments. What if you get PP2 and find the same issue. Why not try a swap with one of the elantras. That way you can check your suspension with the other car's PP2's and the S-drives can be tried on a working suspension system. I think that's worth it as Jitu says.
Whether I put these on another car, or I get rid of these non-working tires, we will know either way right? Also, has the added advantage of not risking somebody else's life/limb/car.

Anyway, let me speak to Satya/Raj and see if they are willing to test out the tires, if they are, will surely post the results, without any prejudices. Else will update after I replace the tires, and again, if the trouble persists then, will surely update the thread. Will be next weekend before I can attempt any of these though, dont want to screw up the working week running behind this.
tadukuttan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2008, 12:08   #49
BHPian

I was really surprised - rather shocked at the way the Sdrives behaved on Tadu's car.

But I have a theory for this. All the people world over who are happy about these are driving rear wheel drive cars, and very few of them are on diesels. The front wheel drives are smaller and lighter , and again primarily petrol. if people have the power, they rarely can get away driving such high speeds for sustained distances.

Additionally the torque delivery on the peted elantra is a tad too violent for the lack of a better word. The diesel elantra in that respect is pretty unique an animal in that it is putting way too much abuse on the front tyres that the S drives are unable to take.

My tuppence
Old 20th October 2008, 12:19   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
Finally someone has realised they're nowhere near as good as the Michelins. They're like fancy G-IIIs, that's about it.

Tadu, see if you can sack them and pick up BFG Sports or Continentals. I'm surprised you didn't pick up Continentals in the first place.

Oh ... You can add me to that list as well!

Am back on PP1s and what a WORLD of a difference! Dare say my accident would NOT have happened if I had the braking efficiency that I now possess!

Tadu - Just ditch the tyres and slap the Michelins back on!
Old 20th October 2008, 12:51   #51
Senior - BHPian

kb100

What yokos did u have? ES100 ?
Old 20th October 2008, 13:18   #52
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for this thread! My PP2s have done 20k and I don't think they'll last much longer than 30k.
They already seem to have a lot of treadwear.

I was looking for the S-Drives as a replacement but seems I'm best off in getting another set of PP2s.
Didn't know the yokos were so bad under braking.
Old 20th October 2008, 14:36   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quite an eye-opener. But like some have said, S-drives would probably be adequate for cars less powerful than an Elantra.
I was considering S-drives to replace the PP2s on my Lancer when they wear out, but will have to rethink that. Btw, I would advocate PP2s to anyone who has fast driving on his mind. Super, super tyres.
Old 20th October 2008, 14:57   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
Thanks for this thread! My PP2s have done 20k and I don't think they'll last much longer than 30k.
They already seem to have a lot of treadwear.

I was looking for the S-Drives as a replacement but seems I'm best off in getting another set of PP2s.
Didn't know the yokos were so bad under braking.
Considering you drive just as fast, stick to the PP2s is what I would say now.

And we had many discussions on and off the forum about how great a handler our respective cars are. Thanks to this episode, I realize what a sorry a*** spectacle my car is, without good rubber. Why get that expensive enlightenment?
Old 20th October 2008, 15:49   #55
Senior - BHPian

Yup no doubt... the chassis and everything else matters but finally what decides how a car feels is the rubber. Anything will handle badly with MRF or JK. I guess this is a lesson for all of us not to compromise on rubber for saving a few thousand bucks.
Old 20th October 2008, 18:18   #56
BHPian

I feel the car and tyre setup is the issue here. I too recently upgraded my tyres to S.drives 205-55 R15 but on a swift D. Drove from Bangalore to Goa. Did a top speed of about 180Kmph on speedo(actuals not sure). Had couple of hard braking situations, but the car was extremely stable and fun to drive. The car brakes really well now, may be tyres suites the Swift better. I may not be qualified to comment on the tyre performance but I feel they are good(at least on my car).
Attached Images

Old 20th October 2008, 19:13   #57
BHPian

high speed braking makes the tyres show there true behaviour!
i have tried freak breaking from 200-220kmph in my verna on the L&T bypass!!
the tyres were stock MRF!!
but yes they are tested for indian roads!! and not the Perfect roads of the abroad!! where 75MPH(USA standard limit is..) is followed yes brake from 200kmph!! to know how the tyre behaves! i Did it..what happened was shocking ! the car nose dived like crazy..actually felt the car lowering down! and bam i get thrown to the front and before i go hit the steering! the seat belts lock up!!
but under all this the car never lose its lane! awesome experience for me...
trid this in the down slope towards the second and third toll gate in L&T bypass

there is sonmething known as road material being used and tyre performance depends on these too. the NON-Indian tyres which are imported to india without testing in the indian roads..well its a gamble!

peace out
sameel
Old 20th October 2008, 19:49   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameel View Post
high speed braking makes the tyres show there true behaviour!
i have tried freak breaking from 200-220kmph in my verna on the L&T bypass!!
the tyres were stock MRF!!
but yes they are tested for indian roads!! and not the Perfect roads of the abroad!! where 75MPH(USA standard limit is..) is followed yes brake from 200kmph!! to know how the tyre behaves! i Did it..what happened was shocking ! the car nose dived like crazy..actually felt the car lowering down! and bam i get thrown to the front and before i go hit the steering! the seat belts lock up!!
but under all this the car never lose its lane! awesome experience for me...
trid this in the down slope towards the second and third toll gate in L&T bypass

there is sonmething known as road material being used and tyre performance depends on these too. the NON-Indian tyres which are imported to india without testing in the indian roads..well its a gamble!

peace out
sameel
Do you have a video or pic for us to see?
Old 20th October 2008, 19:54   #59
BHPian

have done it alone all the time! lets c once i go with friends i will surely try it out
i suggest we guys from kovai have a G2g and put all the tyres through there paces and find out which one is good and which one is show only!
we can also try out the 200-220kmph trial runs too
Old 20th October 2008, 20:27   #60
Senior - BHPian

tadu looks like your problem has only magnified itself. When I spoke last to Viddy he did mention about the traction light coming on the moment you started driving your car with the S-drives shodded.

I have used them(S-drives) for about 8k or more now and I honestly can say that its delivering what I expect it to. However my driving seldom hover around the 180+ mark and doesnt warrant me digging in here .

However just thght I did add my 2 cents :

I just did bangy-mys last Saturday early in the morning.Touched 180 once and found it difficult to sustain that speed and mostly it was at the 140 - 150 kmph mark. The car or should I say the tyres behaved really well ? Hard braked a few times at the speed breakers and never faced any problems.
My car doesnt have all the bells and whistles the Elantra has in terms of Safety.

During my drive back I pushed the car twice to 130+ when it was raining cats and dogs and trust me the car was pretty well planted on the road. Now this was my baleno and am sure it would be a different league with the Elantra.

Like Jitu/Viddy said why don't you swap them over to Rajeev's elantra and check ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks