Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th October 2008, 19:37   #106
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
At least this dood has only shifted from Michelin PS to Yokohama. I have seen ppl having Nankang and other crappy tires on their Accords and higher segment cars...

BTW Do u really need Neovas for your Cedia?
I've seen JD Madan run Nankangs on his Evo, so I'd hold that comment if I were you.

Neovas are now under 30k for 4 x 205/55 R15, with bill and warranty. Still overpriced. They are noisy as hell and don't last very long.

ROC, don't waste your money on the Neovas.
Old 25th October 2008, 20:07   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rj
turns up with an accord shod with 225/45 R17 Pilot Sports 2 tyres.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r
I've seen JD Madan run Nankangs on his Evo
He shook his head when I asked him about the grip and said "The ride is good".
nitrous is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2008, 20:48   #108
Senior - BHPian

Welcome back to the world of Michelin Tadu!!

I was on the verge of selling my car - but ever since the swap am enjoying the drive enough to be having some serious second thoughts! (In fact am trying to convince wifey into accepting this as 'her' car)
Old 31st October 2008, 10:05   #109
BHPian

Hello tadukuttan, Tyres usually need to run around 500km to run-in, how do you feel the grip is now compared to when they were new ?
Old 31st October 2008, 10:24   #110
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoenthusiast View Post
Hello tadukuttan, Tyres usually need to run around 500km to run-in, how do you feel the grip is now compared to when they were new ?
i suggest you read the full thread before posting comments. he has changed to michelin pp2s.
Old 31st October 2008, 10:42   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I dont think the diff will be this huge. Ever since iv upgraded my Vtec with the GIIIs iv done so many runs upto 185-190 (infact i used to do 160 on a daily basis on the highways around Hubli). Never ever experienced any issues even under hard braking at those speeds.

The prob Tadu has faced is something unusual.

Shan2nu
Old 31st October 2008, 10:57   #112
Senior - BHPian

@tadu, I seem to agree with you here that Michelins are better than Yokos.

Had Michelin XM1+ on my Accent CRDi [from 23K to 52K, 2nd set from 54K to current at 67K], I did try my luck with Yokos at 52K to 54K but was grossly disappointed with the performance.

The positives
The grip in rain was good, better than my michelins which aquaplane at anything over 120.
There was practically no tire noise audible when compared to Michelins.
There is not much tyre squeal at turns or on hard braking.

The Negatives
The braking distance had increased.
Had a puncture within a 15 days of hard use [read that as rough village roads as well as GQ doing 140+]

Somehow, the lack of braking made me change the tyres back to Michelins. This time i went from Stock 175/70s to 185/70s on my stock rims.

Apparently, Yokos are made from pure rubber whereas Michelins are a kind of synthetic. This explains the noise, grip issues etc.

The only downside I face with Michelins are they last only 30K at most, with my kinda driving.

And My car has none of the electrical gizmos that tadu enjoys [read that as TC, ABS, EBD, etc etc]
Old 31st October 2008, 11:27   #113
Team-BHP Support

Had upgraded two tyres of Crv to Michelin around 3000 kms back and just before last weekend, bought the second set of 2, didnt want to have any fiascos on highway while doing high speeds and rains.

The new ones were put on front axle, I could feel the tyre lil vague and ABS cutting in during the first 200 kms or so, then on slowly the grip became better and finally settled down to a silent, plush ride and good cornering and braking feel by around 400 km mark. This i can definitely vouch since it was a continuous highway trip, and would have gone unnoticed if we drove around in city with in between, short bursts.

First time i experienced the runnin in phenomenon with tyres, though in Tadu's case i dont think that is the issue since he also did a full kerala trip which would be well over 500 kms.

Last edited by Jaggu : 31st October 2008 at 11:30.
Old 31st October 2008, 11:27   #114
Senior - BHPian

Headers
What yokos did u use for 2000kms ?
Old 31st October 2008, 16:08   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Apparently, Yokos are made from pure rubber whereas Michelins are a kind of synthetic. This explains the noise, grip issues etc.
Hmm, that is not what itzme said earlier on this thread. He said Yokohomas are mostly made of fine sand.

He was also saying that Michelins are worse of because they apparently dont use the fine sand on the external tread. Will you believe the nerve of Michelin, I mean how can they use stuff like rubber(synthetic?) on the external tread of a tire?

I am kidding of course. Maybe he was too.

Quote:
The only downside I face with Michelins are they last only 30K at most, with my kinda driving.
I generally stick to comfort patterns, which work well on highways. And every single time they last me more than 60K. Exceptions were only created by freaking out on track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoenthusiast View Post
Hello tadukuttan, Tyres usually need to run around 500km to run-in...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post
I dont think the diff will be this huge.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
First time i experienced the runnin in phenomenon with tyres, though in Tadu's case i dont think that is the issue since he also did a full kerala trip which would be well over 500 kms.
I am still not convinced completely by this running in funda...

With the Yokos, they did improve by the time I got to Salem. Of course, their new improved grip was still no where near the grip of the Michelin Energy I had on before.

But you see, have never noticed pronounced running in effects earlier, on any other tire. Maybe there is a bit of "polish" on the tires, but nothing which has really bothered me before.

Last edited by tadukuttan : 31st October 2008 at 16:17. Reason: gremlins
tadukuttan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2008, 17:51   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Headers
What yokos did u use for 2000kms ?
IIRC its AS300 185/70 R13.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadukuttan View Post
I am still not convinced completely by this running in funda...
There is no running in funda AFAIK, but it is advised to rotate the wheels after the initial 1000 kms just to ensure the bead seating is correct [especially in TL tyres] and even wear and tear is occurring on the tyres.

One can notice the wear pattern and take corrective actions before it is too late!
Old 31st October 2008, 18:14   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There is no running in funda AFAIK, but it is advised to rotate the wheels after the initial 1000 kms just to ensure the bead seating is correct [especially in TL tyres] and even wear and tear is occurring on the tyres.
I also plan to invert the tyres since they've done 20K kms. This will make sure that the part of the tyre that used to be on the inner side will now be on the outer side making the wear (caused due to negative camber) even.

Shan2nu
Old 1st November 2008, 04:14   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There is no running in funda AFAIK
Very much. Tyres come out of a mould, like cakes. And like cakes, the mould has a layer of release/non-stick material between itself and the tyre, to ensure they don't stick together. Every tyre need a good scrub-in or run-in to ensure optimal performance.
Old 1st November 2008, 05:47   #119
BHPian

Quote:
The only downside I face with Michelins are they last only 30K at most, with my kinda driving
Thats true because i guess michelins use a softer compound which wears out faster. Although after my switch from bridgestone to Michelin PP2 i feel the grip is far better and the noise has lessened. But i cant get judgemental since i went for an upsize during the switch which also makes a huge difference.
Old 1st November 2008, 10:40   #120
Senior - BHPian

Yoko Tyres

Lot has been written about the performance of the Yokos here. On my Scorpio forum a fellow member posted this and I thought I would share this with you all:

----------------------------
Date: 29th October. Location: Delhi

Hi

I just bought Yokohama Geolander HTS with Prestige Design alloys from
universal tyre house.(6500/Tyre and 4200/rim)

These tyres are of a bigger than normal size 255/70/R15.

I am travelling in HP and day before yesterday one of the tyres burst.

I talked to the shop owner and got an assurance that he will ship the tyre
to HP ...but finally he backtracked and suggested me to buy some other tyre in HP itself.

For the first time in 60K life of my beast this has happened and the support I am getting is just not worth calling "support"...

Can anyone help me in this and also if anyone of you knows if there are any specs that should follwed in India for SUV tyres.

It looks to me there is some manufacturing fault but the bugger is not there to help and now I am stuck as my spare is the good old bridgestone...Pls suggest a way so that I can fix up this guy..

Rgds

Chetan
---------------------------

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks