Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th March 2020, 15:42   #346
BHPian

Re: Honda City : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Got this interesting illustration at an alignment shop. Thought of sharing for the greater good.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda City : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-inch-up.jpg  

evilminstrel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2020, 13:46   #347
BHPian

So, finally, the time has come to change the stock GoodYears [in my 2016 Honda City VX(O)] with something the car deserves. Four Years of driving City now, I think am devoid of the real pleasure of it because of these stocks. It took me 62000 Kms to get rid of these. (It can go for another 5K to 10K, but am just letting it go)
My drive is almost 100Kms daily. During June, I take an annual trip to my native place amounting to a total of 3000 Kms in 3 to 4 days' driving which includes some rough patches of my village as well. After all the considerations, including my driving style, which is medium to fast, I shortlisted the following two tyres
1. Yoko Bluearth 195/65/R15
2. Pirelli P6 195/65/R15
In the process, I eliminated Michelin PST 4 (for being too soft for my driving style) and MRF Perfinza (for the risk the deal would have, given that it is MRF)
My inclination is towards Pirelli P6 for the following reasons:
1. I am getting good sets of recently manufactured tyres from the company outlet - December 2019 manufactured – This is one of the major factors that tilts me towards Pirelli.
2. Pirelli P6 is known for comfort and daily driving pleasure. From the brief research, it seems that it is capable of doing good on odos as well. It has all the features of Yoko including asymmetrical tread patterns, aerodynamic advantages and good dry and wet grip.
3. The Pirelli as a brand is reliable. The only issue here is that it is unexplored (or minimally explored) in India. Nonetheless, the risk is worth taking, it seems.
4. The Pirelli is offering a two-year unconditional warranty and five-years manufacturing warranty.
5. Yokos have all the above features, except the bullet 1. Now, this is important here because I have been told that some of the YCNs are re-stamping the tyres with later dates. I don’t know if this is the position, but then it is worrying me.
However, a part of me is still thinking about Yoko Bluearth. Any suggestion folks?

Last edited by evilminstrel : 13th March 2020 at 13:47. Reason: Grammer
Old 13th March 2020, 21:18   #348
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilminstrel View Post
After all the considerations, including my driving style, which is medium to fast, I shortlisted the following two tyres
2. Pirelli P6 195/65/R15
Hi evilminstrel,
Good that you have decided to change tyres in time, with better ones.

But, are you sure on the size?
195/65-R15 doesn't seem to a be proper size for Honda City.
195/65 is not recommended as the circumference difference gets greater than 4%.

The ideal size is said to be 195/60-R15, with which the circumference difference will be 1.07%(which is well within the acceptable limits)

So would suggest you to go through this thread, which might help you in coming to a conclusion.

Note:
Just a month back changed tyres, in my friend's Honda City.
Size chosen was 195/60-R15 on stock alloys, with Earth 1 tyres.

Last edited by DLC5005 : 13th March 2020 at 21:20. Reason: Typo
DLC5005 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2020, 11:57   #349
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilminstrel View Post
2. Pirelli P6 195/65/R15
Thanks DLC, my bad. I agree with your suggestion. The quote above should read:
1. Yoko Bluearth 195/60/R15
2. Pirelli Cinturato P6 195/60/R15
Old 14th June 2020, 09:52   #350
BHPian

I'm getting 2nd-gen Honda City alloys size R16 with new tyres 185/55/16 barely run 50kms . Will it be possible to use those on a Honda city type 2 2001 model. I'm already using 15 inch steelies on my 1st-gen Honda City.

Last edited by Aditya : 13th July 2021 at 20:03. Reason: Abbreviations
Old 3rd October 2020, 21:29   #351
BHPian

Dear members,

Bumping up the thread. As some of you might have read, I have recently started the complete restoration of my City and will be installing a set of alloy wheels soon https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-...rsion-2-a.html.

My car has been upgraded with 195/60 R15 Yoko Earth 1s but I could never understand what the correct tyre pressure should be. I saw some online pressure calculators which measured the new tyre pressure after upsizing and the figures were as such :

Stock configuration:
Tyre Size - 175/65 R15
Make - Michelin Xm2
Load Index - 84
Speed Index - H
Recommended Tyre Pressure - 31psi front / 30psi rear

Upsized configuration:
Tyre Size - 195/60 R15
Make - Yokohama Earth 1
Load Index - 88
Speed Index - H

Recommended Tyre Pressure after using online calculator came out to be 28psi front / 27psi rear

I somehow feel like this is too low. Can the experts please suggest?
Old 3rd October 2020, 22:13   #352
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinodavid View Post
I'm getting NHC alloys size R16 with new tyres 185/55/16 barely run 50kms . Will it be possible to use those on a Honda city type 2 2001 model. I'm already using 15 inch steelies on my OHC.
Yes it will fit. Should not be a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunalsingh View Post

My car has been upgraded with 195/60 R15 Yoko Earth 1s but I could never understand what the correct tyre pressure should be.
I somehow feel like this is too low. Can the experts please suggest?
Yes 28/27 psi is too low. Use the same recommended tyre pressure only, and then maybe adjust plus or minus 1 or 2 psi based on how you feel.
Old 11th October 2020, 22:55   #353
BHPian

Folks,need to replace the tyres of our 2014 Honda City iDTEC,which is presently running on 195/60R15 as a second set of tyres and has run 45000 Kms on it while the present odo is 96000+ Kms.Michelin XM1 were the stock tyres when we bought it from first owner and had lasted at 51000 Kms and got replaced to Yoko S-Drives in 2018 and ran well in its 2.5 years of its age.Now,considering Yokohama Earth-1 as a replacement for present set of tyres as Michelins are quite overpriced IMO.

Which tyres are best apart from Yokohama Earth-1?
Old 12th October 2020, 01:15   #354
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_guy1998 View Post
Now,considering Yokohama Earth-1 as a replacement for present set of tyres as Michelins are quite overpriced IMO.

Which tyres are best apart from Yokohama Earth-1?
Continental has good tyres. The CC5 OR MC5 can be chosen based on your driving conditions.
Generally heard good things about them. Michelin or Continental(well priced) would be my choice.
greendream is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2020, 16:38   #355
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendream View Post
Continental has good tyres. The CC5 OR MC5 can be chosen based on your driving conditions.
Generally heard good things about them. Michelin or Continental(well priced) would be my choice.
Thanks for the suggestion greendream.Will definitely have a look at Continentals too if stocks are available in my known tyre shop.

But,my first choice is Yokohama Earth-1 as it is cheaper and rugged for bad roads since we travel on bad roads most of the time.

Have the same tyres on our Innova as well as on my brother's Swift,which is running on 2nd set of Yokohama Earth-1's while first set of these had lasted more than 50-60K Kms,I guess.
Old 18th October 2020, 18:35   #356
BHPian

Dear Members,

This is my first post on Team BHP.

This below wonderful thread from Vikas helped in selecting 195/65 R15 tyre size for my friend who got a Pre Worshipped Honda City 2013 SMT.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/110289-picked-up-my-new-honda-city-update-low-gc-headlight-woes-addressed.html

Our requirement was higher sidewall for a comfortable ride and higher ground clearance as well.
I am using 195/60R15 Michelin Primacy 3st in my Honda City 2010 VMT on stock alloys and my next tyre size would be 195/65 R15.

Tyres purchased and installed at Madhus Tyre Centre - Wilson Garden, Bangalore.
Michelin Primacy 4st 195/65 R15
Overall experience at Madhus was good.

Honda City : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_20200923_112329.jpg

Honda City : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_20200923_112315.jpg

Honda City : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_20200923_112332.jpg

Honda City : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_20200923_112740.jpg

Alloys from https://alloywheelskart.com/onyx-wheels/338-15-onyx-mm581-black-glossy-w-red-ring.html
Model number : MM581
Rim Diameter (R) : 15 Inch
Rim Width (J) : 7 Inches
Colours ( Finish) : Black Glossy with Red Ring
Number of Holes : 4 Holes
PCD : 100

Honda City : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_20200922_200801.jpg

Alloys came in good packaging.
Compared to honda oem alloys, this one is lighter.

Few initial observation:
1. Ground clearance increase is immediately noticeable.
2. Tyres don't scrape inside the wheel arch even when fully loaded, steering at full lock and the suspension compressed.
3. 195 tyre size is a tight fit on 7j rims, this was expected.

Tyres Total ₹27,610 including installation, wheel balancing, alignment and triton TR414 valves.
Alloys Total ₹23,200 which includes ₹300 as shipping charges. ₹5,725.00 per wheel.

Some more pics:

Honda City : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_20200923_112840.jpg

Honda City : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_20200923_181059.jpg

Honda City : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_20200923_181103.jpg

Honda City : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_20200924_112743.jpg

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Honda City : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_20200923_112728.jpg  

Honda City : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_20200923_112802.jpg  

jeygani is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th October 2020, 14:16   #357

Hi All,

I have a 2012 VMT City and I am the second owner. I had bought it from the first owner in May 2019, when it had just run 16000km in ODO, and now its 23300km. The car has not run much (as you see the ODO) & still runs on the stock GoodYear GT3. But the tire being 8yr old now, it has started to become a bit hard and am planning to replace with a new one.
I'm so happy to see this thread & even more happy to see it still live!! Got a lot of recommendation by reading through, and from the below quoted comments, I understand the Continental CC5 Yokohoma Earth 1 is the best to go for! The stock which I had right now is actually really good and had not given me any issues or puncture in my last 18 months of usage tbh. Wonder why no one recommends GoodYear these days. Have the lost the market ??

For the upgrade, am planning to take 185/65 r15 and I am not very interested on the 195mm ones. Not sure whether its worth upgrading to those as I dont see a huge issue with the comfort & handling at the moment. The road noise well, thats a problem, yes!, but I guess I can live with 185/65 as suggested in many threads already. Also, I think it would help me increase the GC by a bit which is something we are all suffering as City user..

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendream View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by car_guy1998 View Post
Thanks for the suggestion greendream.Will definitely have a look at Continentals too if stocks are available in my known tyre shop.

But,my first choice is Yokohama Earth-1 as it is cheaper and rugged for bad roads since we travel on bad roads most of the time.

Have the same tyres on our Innova as well as on my brother's Swift,which is running on 2nd set of Yokohama Earth-1's while first set of these had lasted more than 50-60K Kms,I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeygani View Post
Dear Members,

This is my first post on Team BHP.

This below wonderful thread from Vikas helped in selecting 195/65 R15 tyre size for my friend who got a Pre Worshipped Honda City 2013 SMT.
Hi,

Thanks for the sharing these details! Very informative & I the alloys looks good! I too am from Bangalore, so maybe I will check Madhus Tyre centre!

Last edited by Sheel : 30th October 2020 at 17:13. Reason: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers. Thanks!
Old 21st October 2020, 00:09   #358
BHPian

Folks,
Please help me out: we've got a City CVT run ~30K kms. In addition to the overall Honda build which is down in the dumps, all 4 tyres are shot as well.

They have a lot of sidewall punctures and in general look really worn out, which is weird, given that it only does city office commuting. The spare is already in use because one of the tyres had a large sidewall cut post a puncture and was junked.

I want to get rid of all four of these tyres and replace them with the absolute hardest, most puncture resistant and indestructible tyres known to mankind (and available in India as well). Grip and ride quality can take a hike.

Please suggest a tyre brand? Stock 175/65 or even 185/65, not interested in going beyond this.
Old 24th October 2020, 21:03   #359

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanayr View Post
Folks,
Please help me out: we've got a City CVT run ~30K kms. In addition to the overall Honda build which is down in the dumps, all 4 tyres are shot as well.

They have a lot of sidewall punctures and in general look really worn out, which is weird, given that it only does city office commuting. The spare is already in use because one of the tyres had a large sidewall cut post a puncture and was junked.

I want to get rid of all four of these tyres and replace them with the absolute hardest, most puncture resistant and indestructible tyres known to mankind (and available in India as well). Grip and ride quality can take a hike.

Please suggest a tyre brand? Stock 175/65 or even 185/65, not interested in going beyond this.

Hi Tanay,

Even I am looking to replace my stock tires. It had run 23k km so far. Am planning to upgrade to Continental CC5 185/65 R15 as I heard not too bad recommendations after reading through this forum, also it's within my budget of 5300rs per tire in Bangalore. Within the same budget range is Yokohoma Earth 1 & Blue Earth, which too has lots of reviews in the forum.
Since you said budget is not a constraint, then maybe look into Michelin XM2. That's the most recommended from my knowledge.
But to answer to your question regarding whether it's the indestructible tire known to mankind, I am not sure . My stock tires are GoodYear GT3 which is 8yrs old now and I never faced any puncture or anything so far and it has served me good. Unfortunately they are discontinued.
Old 30th October 2020, 16:06   #360

I own a new 2015 Honda City with company fitted Goodyear 175/65/15 (on steel wheels), which have run 41k mostly in the city (Mumbai)

I am looking to upgrade my tyres as my service center has been recommending the same for the last 1 year but more so because I intend keep the car for longer and rather upgrade now than later

From what I have come across dealers recommend upgrading to 195/60 while the authorised service centers recommend sticking to 175/65 or max upgrade to 185/60

I have read a lot of reviews on this thread but no clear consensus, would be great if some one could help clear the confusion stated below:

A) 195/60 vs. 185/60: I understand clearly that the mileage would drop a little bit (0.5-1.0 kmpl), but there is little clarity on what could be potential running impact on other important aspects For e.g. 195/60 tyres rubbing against the car body, long term tyre life of 195 vs 185 vs 175.

B) Anyone tried installing 185s or 195s on steel rims as i don't want to upgrade to alloys? - Particularly on 195 as there were comments on bulging possibility.

C) While there are consistent good reviews on Michelins but confusing counters which complain of soft rubber compound not recommended for city driving. Would be great if someone could speak from experience of running Michelin XM2 on Mumbai roads or similar specifically about if there are cuts, punctures on regular basis after a couple of years of use

D) Anyone has tried installing new tyres recently in Mumbai and can help with dealer experience off late as I could only find very dated (more than 7 years old) dealer experience posts.

E) Lastly in case the Michelins are not available at good prices due to import issues cited by a few dealers, which other brand is highly recommended for the Honda City?

Looking forward to your kind and expert responses.
Also posting my purchase and dealer review on this thread once I finalise the purchase in the next week or so.

TIA

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks