Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2014, 15:42   #211

re: Honda City : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

page 502 of the new city owners manual also mentions the tyre options as 185/55R16 83H for petrol variants, however if it lowers the GC then better to avoid?
Old 27th February 2014, 17:58   #212
BHPian

Re: 4th-gen Honda City: Tyre Upgrade

Hi all,
Planning to change/upsize the tires this weekend on my 2011 Honda City currently running on Michelin XM1... Not happy with Michelin in terms or grip, braking and tire noise - in order of preference for the upsize as well.

Tire size: 195 / 60 / 15
  1. Yokohama C Drive (S drive is not available in this size and ES100 is old stock)
  2. Bridgestone Turanza AR10
  3. Bridgestone GIII - (not sure if these are still made and don't want old stock)
Any suggestions and recommendations would be great!!
Thanks!!
Old 16th April 2014, 09:56   #213
Senior - BHPian

Advice required from Tyre Gurus please.
I have done close to 20000 kms on my stock tyres - 175/65 R15 (Honda City 2012 model). Posting a couple of pics of the present tread condition. I face the normal issues of a City owner ie lower than desired GC taking our killer bumps/potholes into consideration. I might use this for another 5 to 7 thousand kms and then change - on the other hand, cash flow permitting I might upgrade it before the monsoons this time.
I have done some research on Team-Bhp about upgrading to a higher size for better GC, grip and so on. There are 2 sizes that I am thinking of - would want your inputs on them. FE is not a huge priority - GC, grip/braking (safety) & comfort would be my prime concerns. I am not going to change my stock alloys.
Between - 190/60 R15 & 185/65 R15 which would be a better bet? (Research shows that 185/65 has an edge on GC).
Michelin tyres of both sizes are available in Cochin - around 5700 per tyre. Should I look further at other brands?
Attached Thumbnails
Honda City : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-tyre-1.jpg  

Honda City : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-tyre-2.jpg  

Old 16th April 2014, 16:02   #214
BANNED

Last week I changed all tyres on my Honda City 2011, after 50,000 Kms
New Tyres are Michelin 195 60 R15 and so far its great experience. Cost me 5.5k each.
First set was also changed to Michelin Primacy LC 195 60 R15. So didnt want to change the brand
Old 17th April 2014, 09:46   #215
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKNAN View Post
Last week I changed all tyres on my Honda City 2011, after 50,000 Kms
New Tyres are Michelin 195 60 R15 and so far its great experience. Cost me 5.5k each.
First set was also changed to Michelin Primacy LC 195 60 R15. So didnt want to change the brand
Which Michelin did you put? Primacy or XM2? Where did you get them from?
Old 9th May 2014, 02:55   #216

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvb8530 View Post
Hey Vinod,

I own a City VTEC MT myself with after market alloys and recently change from the stock Michelins to Yokohama C Drives with an upsize to 195/60/15, I would any day recommend this change to anyone and everyone. It feels like a whole new car, the comfort and grip is mind blowing.
Regards,
VVB
Hi VVB

When you say you would recommend this change to anyone and everyone, are you referring only to the upsize or the upsize as well as the make/model of tyre to be used. My dealer is recommending Hankook Optimo 195/60 R15 -88H

From your member's profile I see that your City is a 2010. But it is spotless in 2014 and looks as if it was driven out from the dealer !!!

May I please have the name, address and contact details of this tyre shop in the background.

And btw who is this guy in the picture ? He looks so very familiar.. Is that you ? while someone else took the picture !!

-RK
Old 12th May 2014, 18:42   #217
BHPian

Hi RK,

My recommendation is for both the up size as well Yoko C Drives, i have not used Hankooks so cannot comment but i would definitely recommend the Yoko's.

Thanks. I do try to maintain it the best I can and get it detailed pretty often since its black in colour. The shop in the back ground in the pic is in fact of the place i get detailing done and they also sell tyres. However i did not get my tyres from them but from Bombay Tyres at Milan Subway in Mumbai.

No that is not me in the pic. Maybe someone from the detailing shop.

Regards,
VVB
vvb8530 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2014, 23:07   #218
BHPian

Quote:
It feels like a whole new car, the comfort and grip is mind blowing.

With the stock tyres i used to always complain about the City feels very delicate and of course the car would touch almost every speed breaker in Bombay but after the upsize no touching at all so GC has considerably improved and it does not feel delicate at all any more. The grip is just amazing and the upsize has also completely changed the stance of the car in terms of looks. The only down side is a moderate drop in FE.
Hello,

Thank you for posting this. I am also thinking of upgrading the tires on my 2011 V-AT City. I was confused between 185/195, but after seeing the pictures, I am pretty much confirmed to go for the 195 size. I have a few questions though:-
  1. Will there be any need to change the rim? I have the stock ones as of now & don't really want to change them.
  2. You mentioned a moderate drop in FE. I currently get 11.9 while in auto mode. Could you tell me what I would get (based on your observation post upgrade) after I upgrade. A rough number or % drop in FE would be a much appreciated reply!
  3. Will the 195 size fit on my spare wheel rim? It is not alloy but a steel one.
  4. 90% of my drive is in town. Out of town drives are mainly to hill stations. Bangalore is the world capital of speed-breakers and potholes the size of moon craters. I am a sedate driver and seldom cross 150kph on highways. Given this, which brand would you recommend? I drive to Coorg during monsoons. An all weather tire is what I need. People say Michelin. Would you concur?
  5. What brand are your alloys & where did you get them from? They look amazing! Will the same be available here in Bangalore? Perhaps you can suggest a good stylish alloy for an urban titanium color City!
I look forward to reading your response!

Cheers!
Rohan
Old 13th May 2014, 00:02   #219

Quote:
Hi RK,

My recommendation is for both the up size as well Yoko C Drives, i have not used Hankooks so cannot comment but i would definitely recommend the Yoko's.

Thanks. I do try to maintain it the best I can and get it detailed pretty often since its black in colour. The shop in the back ground in the pic is in fact of the place i get detailing done and they also sell tyres. However i did not get my tyres from them but from Bombay Tyres at Milan Subway in Mumbai.

No that is not me in the pic. Maybe someone from the detailing shop.

Regards,
VVB

Hi VVB

Thanks for your recommendation. I will go with Yokos.

It still amazes me the way you have maintained the looks of you car. Splendid. Very few take pains to keep it that way.

Now, may I ask you for the name, address and contact details of your Detailer.

Thanks

RK
Old 14th May 2014, 13:33   #220
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RK4060 View Post
Hi VVB

Thanks for your recommendation. I will go with Yokos.

It still amazes me the way you have maintained the looks of you car. Splendid. Very few take pains to keep it that way.

Now, may I ask you for the name, address and contact details of your Detailer.

Thanks

RK
I keep trying out various detailing options including 3M but for the last 2 times have stuck with Motoshine. I am not sure if you are familiar with areas in Bombay or how the address might help you since your profile says you are from Chennai but if it does then Motoshine is in Sakinaka and Worli. There is a separate thread on motoshine if you search. Quite a few of us Bhpians from Bombay go to him.

VVB
Old 14th May 2014, 13:44   #221
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjalihal View Post
Hello,

Thank you for posting this. I am also thinking of upgrading the tires on my 2011 V-AT City. I was confused between 185/195, but after seeing the pictures, I am pretty much confirmed to go for the 195 size. I have a few questions though:-
  1. Will there be any need to change the rim? I have the stock ones as of now & don't really want to change them.
    No
  2. You mentioned a moderate drop in FE. I currently get 11.9 while in auto mode. Could you tell me what I would get (based on your observation post upgrade) after I upgrade. A rough number or % drop in FE would be a much appreciated reply!
    its less than 0.5, almost negligible in my yokos DB
  3. Will the 195 size fit on my spare wheel rim? It is not alloy but a steel one.
    Yes, But you can keep old spare Tyre of 175, and use it only during puncture, it should not be problem if you use to for 100kms or so. No need to go for all 5 tyres.
  4. 90% of my drive is in town. Out of town drives are mainly to hill stations. Bangalore is the world capital of speed-breakers and potholes the size of moon craters. I am a sedate driver and seldom cross 150kph on highways. Given this, which brand would you recommend? I drive to Coorg during monsoons. An all weather tire is what I need. People say Michelin. Would you concur?
  5. What brand are your alloys & where did you get them from? They look amazing! Will the same be available here in Bangalore? Perhaps you can suggest a good stylish alloy for an urban titanium color City!

Cheers!
Rohan
Some of the answers are in-line

Last edited by shamanth : 14th May 2014 at 13:49.
shamanth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2014, 14:00   #222
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjalihal View Post
Hello,

Cheers!
Rohan
Hi Rohan,

Let me give you a point wise revert o your questions;

1. Of course you do not need to change the rim size, you are still using the stock 15inch rims and only increasing the profile of the tyre. Unless you upsize from 15inch to 16inch no need to change the rims.

2. To be honest with you, the city is not my daily drive so i have not concentrated too much on FE and hence do not have an exact calculation, however i guess i used to manage a 11.5 to 12.5 earlier which has now come down to 10.5 to 11.5

3. Again as long as you are not upsizing and only changing the profile whether its the stock steel rims or the alloy it will fit. However you do not need to change the tyre on the spare, you can continue to use the stock tyre on the spare. In my case my spare had gone bad so i got the best one out of the 4 stock tryes placed in the spare and got only 4 new ones. This will save you some money.

4. Yes no doubt Michelins are good but my stocks were Michelin XM1, which although good in terms of grip and noise but i found them too delicate for my use. Bombay roads are no better during monsoons so I wanted a tyre which would give me the perfect blend of grip, noiseless and also not be too delicate. As per my research where brands like Michelins and Pirellis are know for their grip they are not considered as good in terms of durability on Indian roads, on the other hand brands like Bridgestone, Goodyear, MRF's, etc are know for their durability but they are noisy and also not as gripping on high speeds. I use MRF, Goodyear and Bridgestone on my other cars at home and Michelin I was using already on the city hence went in for Yoko's and i think i have found the perfect blend.

5. Thanks, got these after searching around for many days and many hours spent contemplating. Got them from Bombay Tryes at Milan Subway, Bombay. I am not sure of their availability in Bangalore buddy, in Bombay itself i have not come across any other car in the same alloys, the ones i have seen are all matte black or gunmetal but not seen any other in chrome. Just once seen pics of another black city online with AP registration with the same alloys.

Urban Titanium is a nice colour and you could get either some design in chrome or matte black depending on the look you for your car. Browse around a few shops, I am sure you will find something to your liking.

Cheers
VVB

Note to Mod's: Kindly merge with previous post, I had not seen this quote earlier hence missed replying.
Old 14th May 2014, 21:42   #223

Quote:
I keep trying out various detailing options including 3M but for the last 2 times have stuck with Motoshine. I am not sure if you are familiar with areas in Bombay or how the address might help you since your profile says you are from Chennai but if it does then Motoshine is in Sakinaka and Worli. There is a separate thread on motoshine if you search. Quite a few of us Bhpians from Bombay go to him.

VVB

Hi VVB

Thanks for the info of the detailer.

I have fiitted the 195/60/R15 Yoko C in my City and it feels very much better than the 195/65/R15 Dunlop SP Sport 300 that it was earlier running on.

-RK
Old 15th May 2014, 00:15   #224
BHPian

Thank you Shamanth and VVB for your valuable replies. Both of you have suggested Yokohamas, which is interesting since a few posts back, Nikhil was suggesting Michelins. But going by the explanation given, I guess the Yokos offer a perfect blend. Now I have narrowed down my choices. They are listed below:-
  • Michelin Energy XM2 for its FE thanks to its superior rolling resistance technology.
  • Michelin Primacy 3 ST for superior noise reduction.
  • Yokohama A-Drive for FE. But I read they are more suited for wet conditions. Could someone help me understand if this is true?
  • Yokohama C-Drive. Appears to be an all rounder thanks to its asymmetrical tread pattern. Pretty high on my list.
  • Yokohama AVS DB which is touted to be the most silent tyre and another great all rounder.
I was also tempted by the Yokohama S-Drive, but that is for pure performance so will ignore it for now. So these are my choices.

What I request people who are reading this thread is to post as many pros/cons of the above tires as per your experience or what you have been told. This is for me to collate all the information and make the right decision. It's purely boiled down to Michelin vs Yokohama. I researched other tyres and decided not to indulge in them. I never knew upgrading to 195/60/R15 would ever be so confusing!

Cheers!
Rohan
Old 25th August 2014, 21:02   #225
BHPian

Folks,
I am planning to Upsize my 2010 All New Honda City VMT to Michelin 3 ST 195/60 on next weekend.
Any suggestion for good deals in Pune or recommended tyre shops ?? I am planning for Lokmanya Tyres on Karve road.

Appreciate you suggestions or advice as it will be valueable

Also any link to Tafetta White photograph with such upsize is welcome.

Thanks

Last edited by RemingtonSteele : 25th August 2014 at 21:16.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks