Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2020, 17:28   #361
BHPian

Re: Honda City : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoinDanawala View Post
I own a new 2015 Honda City with company fitted Goodyear 175/65/15 (on steel wheels), which have run 41k mostly in the city (Mumbai)

I am looking to upgrade my tyres as my service center has been recommending the same for the last 1 year but more so because I intend keep the car for longer and rather upgrade now than later

Looking forward to your kind and expert responses.
Also posting my purchase and dealer review on this thread once I finalise the purchase in the next week or so.

TIA
I upgraded my Honda City tyres after the stock Goodyears hit 4 years & switched to XM2 (bought online) - absolutely no issues in Mumbai roads and I recommend the stock sizes for driving mostly in the "city". I was blown away by the comfort and silence of the XM2 and in fact enjoy the soft ride. Look online for deals, and get a neighbourhood / roadside tyre guy to fit the 4 tyres and drive to an alignment shop for balancing / alignment - it might still turn out cheaper especially if your old tyres are not worth much in exchange value. An alternate option can be the Yokohama Bluearth series - if you can find them significantly cheaper than XM2s.
Old 2nd November 2020, 21:05   #362

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoinDanawala View Post
IFrom what I have come across dealers recommend upgrading to 195/60 while the authorised service centers recommend sticking to 175/65 or max upgrade to 185/60
I am personally shifting to Continental CC5 185/65 R15 as that seems to match my requirements. If you are looking for absolute best with not much constraint on budget, then go for Michelin XM2 or Primacy 3 ST. These are the most highly recommended ones in the forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakv View Post
I upgraded my Honda City tyres after the stock Goodyears hit 4 years & switched to XM2 (bought online) - absolutely no issues in Mumbai roads and I recommend the stock sizes for driving mostly in the "city". I was blown away by the comfort and silence of the XM2 and in fact enjoy the soft ride. Look online for deals, and get a neighbourhood / roadside tyre guy to fit the 4 tyres and drive to an alignment shop for balancing / alignment - it might still turn out cheaper especially if your old tyres are not worth much in exchange value. An alternate option can be the Yokohama Bluearth series - if you can find them significantly cheaper than XM2s.
I just now bought my first ever purchase online (from Amazon) for tires. Found a dealer who ships 2020 Aug/Sept manufactured tires which I absolutely loved. Am expecting to be delivered tomorrow. Glad to see someone has bought online and found it to be alright!

Last edited by Aditya : 1st September 2021 at 18:33. Reason: Quoted text trimmed
Old 10th November 2020, 10:56   #363
BHPian

Hi,
I am getting my honda zx 5th gen on friday, plan to change the tyres the next day itself, the stock tyres are bridgestone ecopia 185/55/16.

My requirements are least road noise and fantastic grip for spirited driving, budget is not a constraint, also what is the recommended upgrade size? Shall i stick to 195 section or can i take it up a notch to 205?

Please give your valued inputs

Cheers
Old 13th November 2020, 22:32   #364
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Be Wild View Post
Hi,
I am getting my honda zx 5th gen on friday, plan to change the tyres the next day itself, the stock tyres are bridgestone ecopia 185/55/16.

My requirements are least road noise and fantastic grip for spirited driving, budget is not a constraint, also what is the recommended upgrade size? Shall i stick to 195 section or can i take it up a notch to 205?

Please give your valued inputs

Cheers
Got the michelin primacy 4 205/55/16 and the ride is sublime and grip is par excellence the rate was unbeatable march 2020 tyres.

Cheers
Old 5th December 2020, 19:35   #365
BHPian

These are the alloys I got for my city , after 5 months of overhaul and paint job. Hope it gels with the overall style. Wanted to maintain the OEM spec as close as possible, tyres are triangle tyres 195/55/15. Alloys are GTR .
Attached Thumbnails
Honda City : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_20201108_084018.jpg  

Honda City : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_20200615_221024.jpg  

dinodavid is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th February 2021, 20:28   #366
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Be Wild View Post
Got the michelin primacy 4 205/55/16 and the ride is sublime and grip is par excellence the rate was unbeatable march 2020 tyres.

Cheers
Hey, thanks for letting us know. My friend recently purchased a City 2020 ZX and was asking me about tyre upgrade. It'd be great you could post a couple of pictures. Also, if you don't mind, can you please share the prices too? Thank you!

Drive safe,
Shibu Lijack.
Old 9th February 2021, 21:58   #367
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibulijack View Post
Hey, thanks for letting us know. My friend recently purchased a City 2020 ZX and was asking me about tyre upgrade. It'd be great you could post a couple of pictures. Also, if you don't mind, can you please share the prices too? Thank you!

Drive safe,
Shibu Lijack.
Bro got the primacy 4 205/55/16 - 9k a tyre
Brigestone oem buy back was 5 k a tyre
Paid a diff amount of 16k for 4 tyres

The perfect upsize i feel the car does not look under tyred or over tyred just the right balance for the new city . The drive is sublime, excellent grip handling and most silent tyres ever ����
Did not want to change alloys as i liked the oem setup hence just changed the tyres
Attached Thumbnails
Honda City : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-282422237e1e418baf7a3e55e705df0b.jpeg  

Honda City : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-6bc79ac692554b50b0581c33e75536a3.jpeg  

Last edited by Born 2 Be Wild : 9th February 2021 at 22:19.
Born 2 Be Wild is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th March 2021, 18:48   #368
BHPian

Hi,

Booked the 5th Gen Honda City ZX today. I had upgraded the tyres of my 4th Gen Honda City on the day of delivery and want to do the same this time as well since I feel that the OEM 185/55 R16 tyres do not do justice to the car.

There are two upsizes within a Circumference difference of less than the recommended 2%:

1. 195/55 R16 : Circumference difference is 1.78%. Ground clearance increase will be a much needed 5.5 mm

2. 205/50 R16 : Circumference difference will be only 0.17%. Ground clearance increase will be 0.5 mm. Hence, these seem to be the best upgrade recommendation.

Can someone help me with the following queries:

- If I opt for the 195/55 R16 tyres, will the additional ground clearance impact the suspension in any way since I shall get 5.5 mm more than the factory settings?

- If I opt for the 205/50 R16 tyres, will the additional tyre width make the tyres scrape against the sidewalls during sharp turns or cornering?

- I have shortlisted the Yokohama Blu Earth GT and the Continental UC6 tyres for the upgrade as they give similar performance to the Michelin PS4 at a lesser cost. Any pointers to which one between the above two is preferred? Avoiding road noise and stronger sidewalls apart from the other common factors is a major requirement for me.

Will greatly appreciate a response which will help me plan my tyre upgrade.

Thanks a bunch in advance,
Old 12th March 2021, 19:58   #369
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samirsarkar View Post

1. 195/55 R16 : Circumference difference is 1.78%. Ground clearance increase will be a much needed 5.5 mm

2. 205/50 R16 : Circumference difference will be only 0.17%. Ground clearance increase will be 0.5 mm. Hence, these seem to be the best upgrade recommendation.
Out of the 2 options, 195/55/16 is the better choice. It will not really impact the suspension in any way. Your ride quality will also improve a bit, along with the extra ground clearance.
Yakuza is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2021, 13:30   #370
BHPian

Many thanks for your response, Yakuza...

I also feel that upgrading with 195/55/R16 will give me a slightly better mileage than the 205/50/R16 tyres.

Any recommendation from anybody between the Yoko Blu Earth GT and the Continental UC6 for the upgrade?
Old 17th July 2021, 18:34   #371
BHPian

Upgraded my Honda City's tyres to Yokohoma BluEarth-GT AE51 195/65 R15 from Michelin Primacy 3st 195/60 R15. Michelins ran close to 80K, had a good tread life but age caught on and were dry rotting leading to cracks
If not for the dry rotting issue, I would have got Michelins again.

I tried for Continental UC6, but the 65 profile wasn't available.

Honda City : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-yokohoma-ae51-5.jpeg

These are from last week April'21.

Honda City : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-yokohoma-ae51-4.jpeg

On Honda OEM alloy width 5.5j.

Honda City : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-yokohoma-ae51-1.jpeg

Fits wheel well properly with less gap.

Honda City : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-honda-city-2.jpeg

I can't say much about the new tyres as of now, fitted and driven back home.

Cost Rs.5900 each, total Rs.23600 including wheel alignment and balancing.
jeygani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2021, 11:19   #372
BHPian

Re: 4th gen. Honda City : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Finally upgraded the tyres on the Honda City to Continental UC6 185/65 R15 for Rs. 6000/ per tyre along with road force balancing.

The prices were lower on online sites like tyremarket with their discounts and retailers on Amazon (I saw some listing them at Rs. 5.1k but for some weird reason the max order quantity was limited to 3 tyres only).

Went with an offline retailer for peace of mind. Though after looking at the price difference I guess I will muster up the courage to go the online route the next time around.

Too early to say for even first impressions but the car definitely feels more planted than before and the steering feedback has improved slightly.
Old 2nd September 2021, 22:16   #373
BHPian

I have a 2017 Honda city ZX iDtec. The stock tyre 185/55 R16 was upgraded to Continental MC5 195/55 R16. While I did see improvement in grip I am not satisfied with the ride quality. The city diesel has a tight suspension setup and therefore rough road patches are felt inside the cabin, dashboard and steering wheel. I have observed that on minor rough patches where other cars like ciaz glide through, the city actually lets you feel the road surface inside. I have been thinking of upgrading the tyre with slightly higher side profile to 195/60R16. The variation in circumference seem to be 5% as opposed to the 2% recommended maximum. Has anyone attempted this upsize? Specifically what would be the effect on handling and ride quality?
Old 3rd September 2021, 08:26   #374
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeygani View Post
Upgraded my Honda City's tyres to Yokohoma BluEarth-GT AE51 195/65 R15 from Michelin Primacy 3st 195/60 R15.
The size upgrade has a deviation of 3.17% which is more than the recommended deviation of 2%. What are your feedback on handling and drivability. Aren’t the tires touching the wheel arches when turning?.
Old 3rd September 2021, 09:30   #375
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVER-ARROW View Post
The size upgrade has a deviation of 3.17% which is more than the recommended deviation of 2%. What are your feedback on handling and drivability. Aren’t the tires touching the wheel arches when turning?.
I went ahead with higher deviation for a soft ride and higher ground clearance.

The tires do not touch the wheel arches when turning.

I did not get chance to drive in highways as of now, here are my initial impressions from city drives:
  • Higher ground clearance increased the ride height and I can feel the difference.
  • Ride is marginally soft and better, not much difference from 195/60 R15 profile.
  • For normal city speeds, handling is good.
    Cornering stability seems slightly compromised, which is expected due to increase in tire sidewall height.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks