Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd October 2014, 16:44   #631
Senior - BHPian

Re: Yokohama A-Drive Reviews

The tire which had 3 punctures is again loosing air. I keep them at 33 and almost always fill nitrogen. After the last puncture, I drove down from Mumbai To Bangalore and its been two weeks since then and I see this particular tire at 25 PSI whereas the other 3 were at 29,30,30. What could be the issue? Another puncture or something else that I should check on.
Old 25th October 2014, 08:47   #632
BHPian

Is the sidewall strength of the A-Drives as good as, if not better than Apollo Aceleres'?

What about durability, again w.r.t Aceleres?

And what is the usual price per tire, size 195/60 R15?

TIA

EDIT: And in any case, are the sidewalls of the A-Drives more rigid/durable than C-Drives'?

Last edited by Arkin evoisrevo : 25th October 2014 at 08:48.
Old 26th October 2014, 10:16   #633
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
The tire which had 3 punctures is again loosing air. I keep them at 33 and almost always fill nitrogen. After the last puncture, I drove down from Mumbai To Bangalore and its been two weeks since then and I see this particular tire at 25 PSI whereas the other 3 were at 29,30,30. What could be the issue? Another puncture or something else that I should check on.
@dass - Check the nozzle or for another very small puncture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkin evoisrevo View Post
Is the sidewall strength of the A-Drives as good as, if not better than Apollo Aceleres'?

What about durability, again w.r.t Aceleres?

And what is the usual price per tire, size 195/60 R15?

TIA

EDIT: And in any case, are the sidewalls of the A-Drives more rigid/durable than C-Drives'?
@Arkin - I have driven the A drives for almost 55k kms on different kinds of roads (Toll roads, SH's and where roads resembled surface of moon) and can't complain!!

Cheers

Last edited by csateesh : 26th October 2014 at 10:24.
csateesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2014, 14:51   #634
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csateesh View Post
@dass - Check the nozzle or for another very small puncture
That is my next option. The car is going to be due for a alignment and balancing pretty soon and plan to get this particular Tyre thoroughly checked.
Old 1st November 2014, 11:59   #635
BHPian

Had a horrible experience with the A-Drives(185/65 R14).
Suffered multiple sidewall punctures on both() RHS tyres!
The car was fully loaded(5 occupants + luggage).
This occurred at 12:30 in the morning,in the middle of nowhere!
Both A-Drives had to be converted into tube-type tyres to complete the journey.
I blame it mostly on the horrible road condition and inadequate illumination from the headlights,but I (foolishly) expected better from them(A-Drives).
The only positive is that the dry grip is 'phenomenal'!
My personal opinion:All Baleno owners should avoid the A-Drives.
Old 1st November 2014, 12:15   #636
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot_Vishwas View Post
Had a horrible experience with the A-Drives(185/65 R14).
Suffered multiple sidewall punctures on both() RHS tyres!
The car was fully loaded(5 occupants + luggage).
This occurred at 12:30 in the morning,in the middle of nowhere!
Both A-Drives had to be converted into tube-type tyres to complete the journey.
I blame it mostly on the horrible road condition and inadequate illumination from the headlights,but I (foolishly) expected better from them(A-Drives).
The only positive is that the dry grip is 'phenomenal'!
My personal opinion:All Baleno owners should avoid the A-Drives.
Had been to a reputed tyre dealer in Thane and since my tyre change is on the cards, took a few quotes.

They are a Bridgestone preferred dealers though they have a good collection of Yokos, Ceats, Michelins and Goodyear other than the regular Bridgestones.

Was surprised to learn that they vehemently opposed Yokos inspite of the fact that the tyres are more expensive.

Infact, they mentioned that the new tyre range from JK retailing (named) as JK Nxt is way better that the "crappy, Chinese made" Yokohama tyres and they would suggest that any day.

I understand that dealer margins may have a play here but honestly, this is the third big tyre shop who have given a negative feedback on Yokos.

Quite surprising as I understood that the Yokohamas were right up there with the Bridgestones and the Michelins!!
arnabchak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2014, 12:24   #637
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnabchak View Post
Had been to a reputed tyre dealer in Thane and since my tyre change is on the cards, took a few quotes.

They are a Bridgestone preferred dealers though they have a good collection of Yokos, Ceats, Michelins and Goodyear other than the regular Bridgestones.

Was surprised to learn that they vehemently opposed Yokos inspite of the fact that the tyres are more expensive.

Infact, they mentioned that the new tyre range from JK retailing (named) as JK Nxt is way better that the "crappy, Chinese made" Yokohama tyres and they would suggest that any day.

I understand that dealer margins may have a play here but honestly, this is the third big tyre shop who have given a negative feedback on Yokos.

Quite surprising as I understood that the Yokohamas were right up there with the Bridgestones and the Michelins!!
+1
Most of my friends who had Yokohama tyres are now dissing them!

Only desi tyre companies seem to have the answers(for sidewall protection).
A retailer suggested MRF as soon as I told them about the incident!
Old 1st December 2014, 11:58   #638
BHPian

A Drives on my swift ZDI 195/60 R15 has done 38k so far. The treads left indicate that they will go on for another 10k but the grip level has gone down badly and have become very noisy. One of the tyres is not in a good shape.

My feedback so far
1) Have driven through a mix of good and pretty pathetic roads (very limited concrete road). Many punctures on account of nails but they have held firm
2) Dry and wet grip was good for the first 30k kms (when compared to Good year GPS2, Bridgestone B350)
3)Now wet grip seems better than the dry grip.
4) Breaking does not inspire confidence after 36k kms.
5) No side wall cut so far (touch wood)
6) Side wall flex is very high and not great for corners

Had recommended the tyres to my boss who did 40k on the them in his linea before replacing.

In conclusion, these tyres were decent upgrade from stock MRF ZV series, JKs, Bridgestone B250 from a grip and noise perspective but at the cost of ruggedness. Now for any one intending to buy them, would recommend to switch over to Earth-1 which is supposed to be a better & rugged replacement for A - drives.

I am going to switch over to XM2 (185/65/R15 - swift ZDI stock size) this time as I want to try Michelin
Old 1st December 2014, 12:25   #639
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnabchak View Post
"crappy, Chinese made" Yokohama tyres
Yokohama has never ever sold Made in China tyres in India. It has always been Made in Japan / Made in Philippines that were sold here. Maybe it was a grey market / smuggled goods lot that the dealer referred to. In fact even the tyres being imported into India had a different rubber compound to cater to Indian conditions. As mentioned previously in this thread, the Earth 1 is a logical upgrade - stiffer side walls, more long lasting rubber compound and better aesthetics.
WasavaTyres is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st January 2015, 18:28   #640
BHPian

Got A Drives a month ago.
The tires are very silent, and ride quality is phenomenal. More importantly, maneuvering in city traffic and while parking is a breeze now.
Haven't driven on the highway yet.
Old 23rd June 2015, 11:41   #641
BHPian

Need advice on the A drive folks. Got the Dzire ZDI and looking at the Yokos, XM2 & the AR20. Coming for near about the same price wish to know which of these will fare better on comfort, bad roads and side wall durability. Do the Yokos outdo the others on the highway as well? My local dealer suggests the Yoko and Michelin are near about the same, but his money is on the XM2 even though he is an Apollo & Bridgestone dealer! He also put the AR20s are harder and make a lot of humming noise. But having used the amazing Turanza ER60s I've another story to tell! Don't mind trying Michelin or Yokos this time.

Wish to go with the best, advice will be mighty appreciated.
Old 23rd June 2015, 13:51   #642
BHPian

Instead of the A-Drive you should opt for the Earth One, the A-drive has been replaced by the earth one.
WasavaTyres is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2015, 21:29   #643
BHPian

My Swift VDI current generation has done 50k Kms on XM2 and the tyres are even today good and looks like they would last another 10k Kms and good for city use. However am contemplating changing the tyres after checking out the same online to YOko A drives 185/70/R14 as am finding the online price to be very competitive when compared to the dealer. Though am happy with the XM2 will It be good to move to A drive or should I stick to XM2? Please advise.
Old 23rd October 2015, 22:18   #644
BHPian

Hello friends, just one question - in Delhi/NCR where can I still get A-Drives? I went to Lajpat Nagar they said the A-Drives has been discontinued and Earth - 1 is in market to replace it. But as per some reviews I got, Earth-1 is not as good as A-Drive.
Old 25th October 2015, 20:56   #645
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zwift1819 View Post
My Swift VDI current generation has done 50k Kms on XM2 and the tyres are even today good and looks like they would last another 10k Kms and good for city use. However am contemplating changing the tyres after checking out the same online to YOko A drives 185/70/R14 as am finding the online price to be very competitive when compared to the dealer. Though am happy with the XM2 will It be good to move to A drive or should I stick to XM2? Please advise.
Having shifted from A -drives (40k kms ) to XM2 (10k Kms), I would say avoid A-Drive.
Reasons
1) I had 3-4 puntures on my A driving on similar road in the first 10k kms.
2) However, grip wise A-Drive's dry grip was marginally better in the first 10k kms but to be fair I was driving 195 on the a-drive and 185 on XM2.
3) XM2 has better side walls than A-Drives.
4) More importantly, if you feel like shifting from XM2, try the Earth-1 which is supposedly a better replacement of A-Drive.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks