Old 24th April 2014, 05:26   #586
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Yokohama A-Drive Reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbalagru6 View Post
Now i am confused, whether the excessive tyre noise is because of,

1. Retread tyre sold to me as new
2. Yokohama tyres are noisy
3. Tyre rubber became harder because of less usage (Most of the days car is parked on tar road in front of my house)
Yoko A-drives are not noisy, and they should not harden like that. I have used A-drives on my Ikon for 4+ years. Even after 43k, I had more than half of tread left.
(I sold the car last year)
Old 24th April 2014, 05:55   #587
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I have purchased a pre-owned (~78K mileage) ford ikon 1.6 in March 2012. It came with almost new Yokohama A-drive tyres (175/65/R14)...

Now the odo is ~85K, i.e I have done ~8K in past 2 years...

Almost from the day one after the purchase, noise inside the car was like riding on a road roller ... Initally i didn't suspected tyres, since they were new...

2. Yokohama tyres are noisy
3. Tyre rubber became harder because of less usage (Most of the days car is parked on tar road in front of my house)
I have Yoko A Drives on my Ikon Flair and it has reduced the tyre noise I had experienced when I had MRFs on the car. So, I don't think it's the tyres in general.
Old 28th April 2014, 17:06   #588
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
Can you post pictures of your tyre's sidewall? Take multiple pictures in such a way every inch of the sidewall is photographed. Post it here.

Also, it is possible that the manufacturing date is printed on the inside of the tyre (the part facing the suspension/brake discs).
Sorry for the late reply, since i was out of station over the weekend...
Last week i have done tyre rotation, so 2 of the tyres which were facing inside are now facing outside... But no manufacturing date details...

Will take some pictures and upload it here as soon as possible...
Old 28th April 2014, 22:21   #589
BHPian

Here are the pics...
Attached Thumbnails
Yokohama A-Drive Reviews-1398703660037.jpg  

Yokohama A-Drive Reviews-1398703714102.jpg  

Yokohama A-Drive Reviews-1398703731260.jpg  

Yokohama A-Drive Reviews-1398703753919.jpg  

Yokohama A-Drive Reviews-1398703773944.jpg  

Yokohama A-Drive Reviews-1398703794070.jpg  

Yokohama A-Drive Reviews-1398703811786.jpg  

Yokohama A-Drive Reviews-1398703831499.jpg  

Yokohama A-Drive Reviews-1398703853407.jpg  

Old 9th May 2014, 12:11   #590
BHPian

The noise from tyres are unbearable...
Please see posted photos of the tyres and confirm, whether they are original
Old 9th May 2014, 12:30   #591
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The noise from tyres are unbearable. Please see posted photos of the tyres and confirm, whether they are original
I've been using the A-Drives for two years now and I can vouch for the fact that they are very silent. It seems you have gotten a defective set but its difficult to tell from the photos if they are genuine or not. Where did you buy them from?
Old 9th May 2014, 12:33   #592
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
I've been using the A-Drives for two years now and I can vouch for the fact that they are very silent. It seems you have gotten a defective set but its difficult to tell from the photos if they are genuine or not. Where did you buy them from?
Thanks for the revert gpa.... Tyres came with car when I purchased it from used car showroom-Classic Automotives...
Old 9th May 2014, 12:51   #593
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The noise from tyres are unbearable...
I agree partly. I have the A drive on my Dzire, changed to them immediately after delivery of the car and was purchased from Milivisions. They are noisy, more than wht the BS was in my Indica. But I guess I have now got used to the noise. The noise is multifold when the tarmac is not smooth They are super silent on smooth surfaces though.
dass is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2014, 13:11   #594
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Tyres came with car when I purchased it from used car showroom-Classic Automotives
You can use the serial number stamped on the tyre to determine the year and month when it was manufactured. If the tyres are really old then they can harden learning to noise.

Last edited by gpa : 9th May 2014 at 13:12.
Old 9th May 2014, 13:18   #595
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
I agree partly. I have the A drive on my Dzire, changed to them immediately after delivery of the car and was purchased from Milivisions. They are noisy, more than wht the BS was in my Indica. But I guess I have now got used to the noise. The noise is multifold when the tarmac is not smooth They are super silent on smooth surfaces though.
Exactly this is the problem i am facing right now... they are very silent on smooth roads.. ex:- newly paved tar roads... and on rough roads/surface noise is unbearable....
Old 9th May 2014, 13:21   #596
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
You can use the serial number stamped on the tyre to determine the year and month when it was manufactured. If the tyres are really old then they can harden learning to noise.
I am not able to find the serial number... you can go through my posts on this thread to get a clear picture.... that's the reason i have posted the pics of the tyres...
Old 9th May 2014, 23:42   #597
BHPian

Hope all of you are doing good.

I have a i20 Crdi. 3.5 years old and run 48k Km's on stock Apollo Accelere 185/65 R14.

The service center guy told me to get the tyres changed in another 5k Km's. I have attached a pic of the tyre shot 2 months earlier. Do you guys think its worn out and needs replacement? (All 4 tyres have more or less similar wear)

I have not had many issues with the Accelere tyres over the 3.5 years. The one major irritating thing about them is the tyre Noise. I travel quite a bit on the highways and hate the noise on expressways.

I am looking for the most silent tyres on the market. I am OK with Acelere levels of grip if I can get them to be dead silent Have shortlisted Yoko A Drives and the Yoko AVS DB. Which of these 2 is more silent at speeds?

I am also looking at up sizing the tyre to 16'' or 17''. The Ideal upsize for the i20 in these 2 sizes is

16"
195/50-16
205/45-16

17"
205/40-17
215/40-17

Are these sizes available the two tyres I have shortlisted? Is there any other tyre I am missing when it comes to having very less tyre noise. Thanks in advance
Attached Thumbnails
Yokohama A-Drive Reviews-20140103_112746.jpg  

Last edited by GTO : 15th May 2014 at 15:24. Reason: Strictly no discussion of illegally high speeds on Team-BHP
Old 14th May 2014, 11:36   #598
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Exactly this is the problem i am facing right now... they are very silent on smooth roads.. ex:- newly paved tar roads... and on rough roads/surface noise is unbearable....
This is normal on all tyres. If your tyres are silent on smooth roads, you have nothing to worry about.

Try varying the tyre pressure a bit and see if you can find a sweet spot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimified View Post
Hope all of you are doing good.

I have a i20 Crdi. 3.5 years old and run 48k Km's on stock Apollo Accelere 185/65 R14.
Dont even think of upsizing to 16" or 17". Your ride will be very hard and terrible.

Stick to 14". It's really the best size for an i20. Get the Earth 1 as they are supposedly more silent than the A drives.

Michelin XM2 is also really silent. Grip levels of both these tyres will be on par with the Aceleres or maybe a bit better.

High speed will cause tyre noise irrespective. Also, many times, people mistake wind noise for tyre noise. I'm sure the noise you are referring to is wind noise unless it's a concrete road.

Last edited by GTO : 15th May 2014 at 15:26. Reason: Quoted post edited (removed high speed reference)
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2014, 11:56   #599
BHPian

Quote:
I am not able to find the serial number... you can go through my posts on this thread to get a clear picture.... that's the reason i have posted the pics of the tyres...
The serial number on your tyres is FLP 0411which makes it a February 2011 tyre. But this is a grey market tyre, all yokohama tyres officially being imported into India have been stamped with YYY as the preceding letters (instead of FLP in your case) YYY denotes tyres designed for Indian conditions and also having BIS approval. You're lucky to have just noise as an issue, someone I know bought a set of 2 and is grappling with 'left pulling' since fitment. And Yokohama India Ltd did not entertain his complain for lack of invoice & warranty card.
WasavaTyres is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th May 2014, 11:59   #600
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Try to find a 4 digit number on the tyre which will tell you the week and year of manufacture.

For example: 1411 will be the number printed on tyres, which is decoded as 14th week of 2011. The first 2 numbers represent the week and last 2 numbers represent year of manufacture.

Hope this helps
fusionbang is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks