Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2012, 07:54   #466
Senior - BHPian

Re: Yokohama A-Drive Reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by guptavis View Post
Hello all,
I am going to change tyres of my NHC ZX to 185/65 R14 (stock is 175/65 R14).
I have two options A drives - 3800/tyre and Apollo Accelere - 3750/tyre

Which one will be better? My priority is comfort and long life.
Are the prices okay? or should i ask a few more dealers.
Following points for you.

1. 185/60 R14 is a more logical upsize for 175/65 R14. There are hundreds of tyre upsizing charts available on the net, compare them yourself.

2. A-Drives are better tyres overall, definitely more comfortable than Apollos.

3. IMO 3800 is a fabulous price for Yoko A-drives. Buy them with your eyes closed
predatorwheelz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2012, 11:38   #467
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
1. 185/60 R14 is a more logical upsize for 175/65 R14. There are hundreds of tyre upsizing charts available on the net, compare them yourself.

2. A-Drives are better tyres overall, definitely more comfortable than Apollos.

3. IMO 3800 is a fabulous price for Yoko A-drives. Buy them with your eyes closed
Thanks predatoronwheelz,

1. 185/60 R14 decreses diameter by 1.2% and 185/65 R14 increases it by 2.2%. I would like to have a little more ground clearance so thought of 185/65. my first preference was bridgestone ER60 but they are only available in 185/70 R14. (many shopkeepers said its okay to fit this size on NHC ZX but thanks to BHP i was suggested against it as 5% dia increase)

2. Thanks, this is what i was looking for!

3. Thanks, again what i was looking for!

So should i go and get these Yoko A drives? one person was giving reviews here that they last only 30k KM. and another about sidewalls being too soft for indian conditions. Hope they are one off case and A Drives are good.
Old 20th January 2012, 13:17   #468
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So should i go and get these Yoko A drives? one person was giving reviews here that they last only 30k KM. and another about sidewalls being too soft for indian conditions. Hope they are one off case and A Drives are good.
No tire is perfect on indian roads. Every tire will have a negative review somewhere.

Have used 185/65-14 A drives for almost 1 lac kms in 3 +years.
1st set lasted for 50k kms, 2nd one lasted for 49k kms.
Just got the 3rd set.

Taken them on snow (Himachal),
Driven on desert soil (Jaisalmer),
Did a cross country run (bangalore),
Waded through flooded roads every monsoon (Delhi NCR)
And, daily high speed blast on expressway (Noida exp)

IMO, They are pretty robust for Indian roads. (Not all Yokos but A drives surely is.)

Last edited by kpzen : 20th January 2012 at 13:21.
kpzen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2012, 14:08   #469
Team-BHP Support

I would second kpzen, i have used these tyres over varied surface and conditions and quite happy with them. They are decent all rounders with good life and am very happy with them.
Jaggu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th January 2012, 16:51   #470
BHPian

Thanks for inspiring confidence in A Drives. Reading all these i went to get them installed an hour ago. Guess what? While at the shop i asked the price for C Drives and the dealer said he would give it to me at the SAME price as A Drives. I thought C Drives were somewhat premium tyres and cost atleast a couple of hundred more than A drives?

Is this right? Is the dealer somehow taking me or a ride? I am now in doubt if the tyres are even genuine. By the way the dealer concerned, Batra Tyres is listed on yoko india website as Auth. dealer. I didnt know what to do and came back without getting the tyres installed.

If the prices are really same then should i get A Drives or C Drives?

Last edited by guptavis : 20th January 2012 at 16:52. Reason: typo
Old 20th January 2012, 17:30   #471
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for inspiring confidence in A Drives. Reading all these i went to get them installed an hour ago. Guess what? While at the shop i asked the price for C Drives and the dealer said he would give it to me at the SAME price as A Drives. I thought C Drives were somewhat premium tyres and cost atleast a couple of hundred more than A drives?

Is this right? Is the dealer somehow taking me or a ride? I am now in doubt if the tyres are even genuine. By the way the dealer concerned, Batra Tyres is listed on yoko india website as Auth. dealer. I didnt know what to do and came back without getting the tyres installed.

If prices are same get the C-drives. More grippy. more comfort. just check the manufacturing date to make sure its not an old stock
Soccerfan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2012, 18:06   #472
Team-BHP Support

Yup may be he is clearing off stock from the non ISI lot, but if its within 6 months of age go for it.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2012, 18:07   #473
BHPian

I'm not sure whether this is the right thread for my query?

I switched to A-Drives on my Palio 3 months back. I moved from the stock 165/80/R13 to 185/70/R13.

The Palio's GC with the stock tires was 170mm. Can anyone tell me what would be the change in GC since I have opted for a lower profile tire? If someone can tell me how it is calculated too that will be of great help.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers
Lloyd
Old 20th January 2012, 18:18   #474
Senior - BHPian

Lloyd,
The second number (80,70) is the thickness of the rubber in percentage of the tyre width (185,165). You can see what the difference is.
It was 132 and now its 129.5

Last edited by srishiva : 20th January 2012 at 18:20.
srishiva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2012, 18:20   #475
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydofcochin View Post
Can anyone tell me what would be the change in GC since I have opted for a lower profile tire? If someone can tell me how it is calculated too that will be of great help.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers
Lloyd
Very minute diff, use this tool to calculate. Tire size calculator
Jaggu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th January 2012, 22:16   #476
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

If you want longer life - A.Drive
If you want grip and performance - C.Drive

see the Yoko tire positioning at http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...ml#post2022454

and a video on A. Drive and C.Drive at
Buffetfan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2012, 11:32   #477
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffetfan View Post
If you want longer life - A.Drive
If you want grip and performance - C.Drive[/url]
Thanks, i want comfort and strong reliable tyres.
So i will go and get the A Drives.
Old 26th January 2012, 00:37   #478
BHPian

Just after writing this i went to get the tyres. Again something unexpected happened!
i drove to the front of the yoko dealer ready to get the A Drives fitted but suddenly just had an impulse to get 'swadeshi' acelere. So drove past the yoko dealer and got myself 4 Appolo Acelere 185/65 R14 tyres! I hope i will look back at this and say i made a good choice. Initial feel is the new tyres made a world of diffference in comfort and noise but only drove 20Km today. Hope they will turn out good for the whole of their life.
Thanks to everyone for their valuable advice which i very closely followed except the impulse right at the time of buying.

Gantantra Divas ki Badhaiyan ! Jai Hind

Last edited by guptavis : 26th January 2012 at 00:39.
Old 26th January 2012, 06:50   #479
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydofcochin View Post
I switched to A-Drives on my Palio 3 months back. I moved from the stock 165/80/R13 to 185/70/R13 Lloyd
GC would be lower by 20mm. Check the chart.
check this link also http://www.tyrestore.in/upsizing.htm
Attached Files
File Type: xls palio tyre.xls (18.0 KB, 323 views)

Last edited by rajeev k : 26th January 2012 at 07:18.
Old 26th January 2012, 19:08   #480
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Just after writing this i went to get the tyres. Again something unexpected happened!
i drove to the front of the yoko dealer ready to get the A Drives fitted but suddenly just had an impulse to get 'swadeshi' acelere. So drove past the yoko dealer and got myself 4 Appolo Acelere 185/65 R14 tyres! I hope i will look back at this and say i made a good choice. Initial feel is the new tyres made a world of diffference in comfort and noise but only drove 20Km today. Hope they will turn out good for the whole of their life.
Thanks to everyone for their valuable advice which i very closely followed except the impulse right at the time of buying.

Gantantra Divas ki Badhaiyan ! Jai Hind
Dont worry! The Aceleres are also very very good tyres. You have already experience how nice it is. Aceleres are right up there with A drives, Michelin XM1+ and Bridgestone ER60s. Some people I know personally prefer the Acelere to the others out there.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed