Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th November 2012, 15:01   #211
BHPian

re: Maruti Suzuki Ritz : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Guys, I am yet to upgrade my tyres as I was out of the country for a while. Just a last question, can I upgrade to 195/60R/14 ZLO's on existing stock steel rims ?

I am thinking to just buy the tyres for now and get alloys later on, so want to know if its possible to upgrade the 195 tyres on existing Ritz VDi stock steel rims.
Old 27th November 2012, 21:23   #212
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by salunkhe.vizz
Guys, I am yet to upgrade my tyres as I was out of the country for a while. Just a last question, can I upgrade to 195/60R/14 ZLO's on existing stock steel rims ?

I am thinking to just buy the tyres for now and get alloys later on, so want to know if its possible to upgrade the 195 tyres on existing Ritz VDi stock steel rims.
195 might not be a safe option to put on stock rims as they are 5J, and if I'm not wrong the minimum for 195 section tyres should be 5.5j.
But I have seen people going for 195 on stock rims and they stick out a lot from the rim , which I think is not safe.

Also if you going for alloys and 195 section tyre then why not 195:60:15 ?

Cheers
Old 27th November 2012, 23:06   #213
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by salunkhe.vizz View Post

As Schoudhury rightly said it would not be advisable to mount 5J steel wheels on 195 section tyres. I was in a similar dilemma as you are and hence did a bit of research - the i-vtec Honda City does come with 15" steel wheels as standard which are 100pcd hence ideally should fit the Ritz and would cost you a maximum of Rs.1.5k to purchase. You can mount those on 195/60 tyres and add alloy wheels later if you wish.

However, I have got mixed opinions on the same. One tyre dealer told me that the rear brake drum of the Ritz might foul with the steel wheel of the City but the other has told me there should be no problems as the drums of the Ritz would be smaller than the City. Now if you do have a tyre dealer whose opinion you trust, you may ask him about the same and go ahead with a 15" steel wheel. This way you can get fatter rubber as well as keep a check on costs.
Old 10th December 2012, 22:43   #214
Senior - BHPian

A small update: Have upgraded my stock 165/80 R14 Bridgestone tyres to 185/70 R14 Michelin XM2 and the difference is phenomenal. Few initial impressions:

The car used to thud over pot holes and uneven surfaces which has reduced considerably now after the Michelin. Road noise is almost zero and the tyres offer much more grip obviously because of the wider track and the drive feels much better as compared to before.

The car looks great too with the wider tyres which fill up the bulging wheel arches well now.

Special thanks to Schoudhury for his help and inputs. I had convinced myself to go for 195s but unfortunately MRF Zlo's were out of stock because someone had just picked up the last set before I reached. At that time the decision to pick up the Michelin 185s was too instantaneous without a second thought which I don't regret one bit now. Just posting some pics to give an idea of how the wheels fill the wheel arches.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Suzuki Ritz : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-20121207-18.44.17.jpg  

Maruti Suzuki Ritz : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-20121208-15.14.41.jpg  

Maruti Suzuki Ritz : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-20121207-18.53.20.jpg  

S2!!! is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th December 2012, 23:10   #215
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!!
A small update: Have upgraded my stock 165/80 R14 Bridgestone tyres to 185/70 R14 Michelin XM2 and the difference is phenomenal. Few initial impressions:

The car used to thud over pot holes and uneven surfaces which has reduced considerably now after the Michelin. Road noise is almost zero and the tyres offer much more grip obviously because of the wider track and the drive feels much better as compared to before.

The car looks great too with the wider tyres which fill up the bulging wheel arches well now.

Special thanks to Schoudhury for his help and inputs. I had convinced myself to go for 195s but unfortunately MRF Zlo's were out of stock because someone had just picked up the last set before I reached. At that time the decision to pick up the Michelin 185s was too instantaneous without a second thought which I don't regret one bit now. Just posting some pics to give an idea of how the wheels fill the wheel arches.
Great
185 70 14 are perfect for a petrol ritz, and Michelins are icing on the cake .
Perfect balance between ride and comfort ,oh yes kmpl too :-).
How did the michelins costs ?
Looks like you had got steel rims on your ride, if I remember correctly you had prestige alloys on your ride , what happened to those alloys?

Cheers
Old 11th December 2012, 00:41   #216
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoudhury

How did the michelins costs ?
Looks like you had got steel rims on your ride, if I remember correctly you had prestige alloys on your ride , what happened to those alloys?

Cheers
thanks. the michelins costed me rs. 4975/ piece and swapped my silver steel rims for new black ones.
one of the prestge rim was damaged in an accident last year and i was not able to source a new piece in the same design, hence moved back to steelies ever since.
Old 25th January 2013, 10:42   #217
BHPian

Re: Queries in 'Ask the gurus' section

Going on a drive from Bangalore To Bhutan, Sikkim and Darjeeling-16 Feb-car is of Feb 11 vinatge and tyres have done 32500 kms as on date. is there a requirement of getting a new set for this drive please?? Done three long drives in 2011 (Raj & Guj, Odisha & AP, TN & Ker) with these tyres??

Thanking you in anticipation.
Old 25th January 2013, 11:46   #218
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judemayne View Post
Going on a drive from Bangalore To Bhutan, Sikkim and Darjeeling-16 Feb-car is of Feb 11 vinatge and tyres have done 32500 kms as on date. is there a requirement of getting a new set for this drive please?? Done three long drives in 2011 (Raj & Guj, Odisha & AP, TN & Ker) with these tyres??

I think your question is not in the right thread. Yet I will answer it. With that kind of mileage on your tyres I would suggest you change them. The places you are planning to go have a unforgiving terrain. No matter how good they are you need to get a new set of good quality A/T tyres.
zulfi hansi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2013, 11:40   #219
BHPian

Quote:

Man you are one true Army officer, I had no idea you had a Ritz since your post was in the wrong section. But considering that you are driving a Ritz all over the north-east, you really need some exceptionally good tyres, to start with you need to up-size to 185 for sure, but do not go low on profile, keep minimum 60 profile tyres, no need to up-grade to alloys IMO, but if you already have them then no issues, or 195 if have the alloys which can take them, otherwise 14 inch steel rims do just fine, alloys will be of no advantage for your trip. Try to get tyres which can handle bad roads, with extra rubber and broad shoulder types, normally such tyres are available only for SUVs in India, but if are able to find some rally prep tyres in your size, you are ready to go. Good luck.
Old 30th January 2013, 15:35   #220
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulfi hansi View Post
Man you are one true Army officer, I had no idea you had a Ritz since your post was in the wrong section. But considering that you are driving a Ritz all over the north-east, you really need some exceptionally good tyres, to start with you need to up-size to 185 for sure, but do not go low on profile, keep minimum 60 profile tyres, no need to up-grade to alloys IMO, but if you already have them then no issues, or 195 if have the alloys which can take them, otherwise 14 inch steel rims do just fine, alloys will be of no advantage for your trip. Try to get tyres which can handle bad roads, with extra rubber and broad shoulder types, normally such tyres are available only for SUVs in India, but if are able to find some rally prep tyres in your size, you are ready to go. Good luck.
Thank you so much-just spoke to dealers at Bangalore-will upgrade, as per your advice, to 185. One dealer has recommended Apollo over Bridgestone and Mich?? any advice on this???
Old 30th January 2013, 15:58   #221
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you so much-just spoke to dealers at Bangalore-will upgrade, as per your advice, to 185. One dealer has recommended Apollo over Bridgestone and Mich?? any advice on this???
Sirji.
I will advise stick to 185*70*14 , also if possible keep a extra tyre apart from the stepney tyre.
For rubber, i will advise look for hard compound tyre which should be helpful for those hilly terrains.

Hope it helps
Cheers
Schoudhury is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2013, 23:19   #222
BHPian

Quote:

Apollo is good for your purpose now, since it is a bit harder rubber. Try getting Amazer 3G MAX in your size, I think it is available in 185/65 R 14, it is good for bad roads and for traction on hilly roads but it may have road noise on highway usage and may not be very good on wet grip on very smooth roads. It will be good on rough roads even in wet conditions. Take a look at the thread pattern and will get the idea how it works.
Old 8th February 2013, 19:47   #223
BHPian

Quote:
This is link for change my tyre, I hope it helps;
http://www.changemytyre.com/Car/Tyre...R-3G-MAXX/1106

http://www.changemytyre.com/Tyres/Ca...D=12&CityID=16

This is just for reference, you might get it for less in JC road. Good luck
Old 8th April 2013, 11:45   #224
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoudhury View Post
Sirji.
I will advise stick to 185*70*14 , also if possible keep a extra tyre apart from the stepney tyre.
For rubber, i will advise look for hard compound tyre which should be helpful for those hilly terrains.

Hope it helps
Cheers
I second Schoudhury's opinion. I have 195-60/R15 and I sometimes feel its a li'l bigger than what is required (especially if you look from front end, 195mm somehow doesnt seem right for the car). But side profile looks good with an R-15. Steering indeed is a bit heavier (which I don't mind), as was noticed by wifey and some of my friends (who own Ritz). 185mm is the best option, IMHO.
Old 6th June 2013, 11:49   #225
BHPian

Hi I am planning to upgrade from 165 to 180 for my ritz. I won't be going for alloys though. Planning to get a new set of rims along with the tires. Not able to get a tyre shop which has rims in stock in and around HSR layout. Any pointers where i can get them and how much is the current rate for good set of tyre for mostly city/highway driving.

PS: The current tyres have run for 30k. Is it a good time to change the stock JK ones?

Last edited by falcon009 : 6th June 2013 at 11:52.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks