Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2005, 17:43   #136
BHPian

Quote:
for you zaphod, i think you just need to stiffen the struts a bit or put in stiffer springs it helps a lot
I'd like new shocks and springs but that again would void the warranty - while i have a 3yr one , i'll wait till around the second year itself and then get around to tinkering with it.

Quote:
I was all for strut brace until I found iceman's super baleno didn't have one.
I think having a 1.8 in the baleno would blind you to it's other faults ,

hey iceman - what mods have you done to the suspension of your car ?

cheers

zaphod
Old 27th July 2005, 18:07   #137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai
Bimal Dealership offered to put 195/60R14 on my brand new car, therefore I don't think there is a issue. However, he did say they don't put 15 inchers on the Baleno. That would void the warranty I guess.

I was all for strut brace until I found iceman's super baleno didn't have one.
Varun in hyderabad has a 50% of persons saying Warranty is void..other 50% say not...planning to call Maruti to find if shifting to 14" voids warranty
Old 27th July 2005, 20:17   #138
Senior - BHPian

it will not void the warranty....they wont be able to figure out what you have done....only that it is stiff..
i dint have the 1.8 in it when samurai checked it....in fact the 1.8 was a short lived engine i blew it :(
Old 28th July 2005, 20:41   #139
BHPian

Ok samurai sir....u said the stock suspension wont be able to take it....what will it not take????

Putting spacers is possible right??? How will 15" alloys affect suspension...the ride will be rough but what effect will that have on the suspension...please explain....

am getting the car in 10 days and wanna know before i upsize the tyres.....
Old 29th July 2005, 09:56   #140
BHPian

Dude,i have upsized to 195/60 R14 wheels & tyres.
There had been no problem with the ride comfort at all.
Still smooth. And great handling
Iwould not advise a lower than 60 profile
Old 29th July 2005, 15:30   #141
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreak7116
Ok samurai sir....u said the stock suspension wont be able to take it....what will it not take????

Putting spacers is possible right??? How will 15" alloys affect suspension...the ride will be rough but what effect will that have on the suspension...please explain....

am getting the car in 10 days and wanna know before i upsize the tyres.....
Speedfreak,

Weight of tyres, alloys and some part of the suspension system itself is not borne by the suspension system. The correct technical term for this is called "Unsprung Weight".

So even if ur tyre/alloy combo were to weigh more than the car itself, the suspension system could hardly care less.

Having said that, u need to make sure that overall tire diameter stays within 2% of the stock size. Also if ur planning tire with width greater than 205, i wud suggest that u check it does not foul with the car body. i.e. when the car is loaded and u turn the steering all the way to either side the tyre shud not touch any part of the car.

Enjoy ur 15 inchers !!
Old 29th July 2005, 16:02   #142
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreak7116
Ok samurai sir....u said the stock suspension wont be able to take it....what will it not take???? Putting spacers is possible right??? How will 15" alloys affect suspension...the ride will be rough but what effect will that have on the suspension...please explain....
It is nothing to do with weight of the tyres or alloys, which actually reduces. As the sidewall height reduces and tyre width increases, it results in higher road resistance and reduced cushioning effect by the tyres. That transmits extra shock to the suspension, more than the stock suspension is designed to handle. Until 14" is it not significant, but at 15" or more it is significant.

Iceman used to have 205/50R15 on his super baleno and he didn't have any problem.
Old 29th July 2005, 21:11   #143
BHPian

So basically till I dont hit the car hard into the bumps there is nothing to worry about the suspension right??? And the car is not going to be loaded with anything extra adding to the weight....its only a tyre upsize......so i am on the safe side right????
Old 30th July 2005, 02:50   #144
Senior - BHPian

right...on the other hand if with a 50 or 45 profile tyre..if you hit a bump hard in your alloy wheel...the wheel may crack ..dont know how hard you have to hit though..

.what I do know is that last year i had to leave the road @110 kmph on a blind left hander.
I found that a bus was in my lane..trying to overtake a truck....and @120 i had no space to go anywhere but to the non exixtent left shuolder...this was in my uno 1.2 and the edges of front and rear rims foulded (on the left side) over after hitting a large pothole....no puncture as the tyres @ that time were not tubeless.and the rims were regular pressed steel disc...but a decent amount of wobble set in...I had some trouble as I had only one stepney.

this happened once again...when I crossed a very deep pothole bang in the middle of the road after a steep lefthander....
anyway I changed the front tyre and it reduced the wobble by 80%...next day a neighbor denting expert brought the rims back to shape....and they have been good enought to hold tubeless tyres for the past 2 years....!!!

I shudder to think what would happen if I faced this in my alloy wheel baleno..would the wheel take the impact...or would it simply crack (since it would fold not over for sure)??
Dont want to experiment this...but does anyone have this experience...

Last edited by Buffetfan : 30th July 2005 at 02:53.
Old 30th July 2005, 10:27   #145
BHPian

The alloys are much tougher than the pressed steel rims.
Steel rims folding is a common problem
Old 30th July 2005, 20:47   #146
BHPian

As long as I'm sticking to the 195/55s I dont think i should have any problems...If i HAVE to go for the 195/50s i'll be careful with the car.....Latest news.....the painter did a horrible job with the car so the paint is totally smudged and the colour matching is bad....So i'm getting it done from another place so the delivery is gonna take another painstaking 4 weeks....
Old 3rd August 2005, 14:33   #147
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvhead
The alloys are much tougher than the pressed steel rims.
Steel rims folding is a common problem
Hey Revvhead,

I think what buffetfan is trying to say is that due to the malleability of steel, when a pressed steel wheel takes a large impact it just deforms out of shape but still stays intact (in one peice).

Whereas alloy wheels do not have the same characteristic and although they are stronger and stiffer (which is why) they have a higher likelyhood to crack or shatter on a huge impact.
However, this depends on how the alloy wheel was manufactured (cast/forged etc) and has a great deal to do with how porous the alloy is.
Im not saying that alloy wheels do not dent or bend, (ask drifter ) but just that i feel that some alloy wheels have higher chances of breaking into more than one peice on an incredibly hard impact, as opposed to steel wheels. I guess that was buffetfan's concern.

cya
R
Old 3rd August 2005, 15:59   #148
BHPian

Argument very true and accepted.
But - i have to yet hear of one cracked alloy from any of my friends from their everday city/higway/bad village road driving
whereas i know of many bent steel rims.

My point is that alloys will crack, yes. But it will take a hellof a lot to get them to do that first
and the chances and occurences thus far have been rather low
Old 16th March 2006, 18:24   #149

New Baleno LXI BS III - Tyre change

Hi to....
I am a very new member to this forum. I have a question running in my mind for past some time about Baleno as i am getting one in another 5 - 6 days. Its about wheel size, i had searched thru the net and all possible places for answers to my question but with little luck.

I have the following questions:

1. how much of mileage drop will be there if i chage the orignial tyres (i.e) 165/80 R13 to 185/65 R14.
2. What would be other implications with it.

Though i went thru earlier topicc on this, i dint have enough calrity on the same.

Please advise.

Thanks,
Sajesh
Old 17th March 2006, 01:39   #150
Senior - BHPian

I changed from 165/80 r 13 to 185/65 r 14 good year Eagle NCT 5 on my Baleno too..

1. Looks improve since the wheel wells get filed out better because of a larger rim.
2. much more improved grip
3. Similar ride comfort (theoratically 185/65 will give less ride comfort but then 185/65 in tubeless and 165/80 is tube type and tubeless have better ride comfort compared to tube types..so guess they cancel out)
4. Lower road noise..
5. Lower FE is what people say...(I get close to 12kmpl generally in city with Ac on 80%)
if you are interested.(and dont want to invest in alloys)..talk to maruti and a few tyrewallahs first..before taking delivery of car...so that you can get a good resale for your current set that the car will come with..some of them might have 14" rims (which have a 100 mm PCD.) lying with them (maybe Optra / OHC / NHC rims) left out by owners of these cars who upgraded to alloys.....remember despte what the maruti salesman would like you to believe...alloys are not necessary to mount tubeless tyres..normal rims are good enuf.

Last edited by Buffetfan : 17th March 2006 at 01:44.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks