Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2005, 00:21   #76
Senior - BHPian

[quote=speedfreak7116]
i'll just think of your words when i'm with friends in the car again and keep it within safety limits....
[quote]

great attitude, speedfreak! we've all done some stupid things, and as long as we live, and learn from them, we win!

please explain to everyone what LCD is. I suspect it's Lavelle Rd Coffee Day, but I'm not too sure. If it is, I think I've seen your ride there.
Old 4th July 2005, 11:49   #77
BHPian

Hey ppl. I have finally decided on buying Baleno LXI. I have decided to exhange my 165 tyres with 185 ones. What I'd like to know is do alloy wheels really help ?

I went to a tyre dealer and he advised me against going for alloys. He showed me his new Octavia and told me that he had puroposely removed the alloys and fitted the old rims.

I then went to another dealer and he also told me not to go for alloys. He said that if the car bumps in to a pothole badly, the rim would only get a little bent but alloys might develop cracks.

I am confused now. Even though the tyre dealers whom I talked to all sold alloys they advised me not to go for them.

Also I want to know a few points :

1. I'm getting Goodyear 185/70 R 13 tubeless tyres for Rs 6,000 extra in exhange of new baleno 165 tyres. Is this price reasonable ?

2. Which tyres would be better without alloys - tubeless or regular ones ?

3. For normal rims, which tyre would be better for Baleno - 185/70 or 185/65 ?

4. If I want to replace the centre console with the silvery one (which comes in VXI), what is the approx. cost of that ?
Old 4th July 2005, 11:59   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I went to a tyre dealer and he advised me against going for alloys. He showed me his new Octavia and told me that he had puroposely removed the alloys and fitted the old rims.

I then went to another dealer and he also told me not to go for alloys. He said that if the car bumps in to a pothole badly, the rim would only get a little bent but alloys might develop cracks.
Maybe they've had bad experiences with average quality alloys. My car has alloys too and i;ve taken it on roads that would shame a WRC track and nothing has happened.

Infact those alloys were used on the INRC Vtecs.

I don't think alloys are that weak. Go in for them.

Shan2nu
Old 4th July 2005, 12:29   #79
BHPian

All right. Suppose I go for alloys. The dealer is offering me Aura brand which has warranty of 1 yr and he says that Maruti also fits the same alloys as OE. Is that correct ?
Old 4th July 2005, 14:16   #80
Team-BHP Support

Hi Shobhit15,

1. Rs 6,000 in exchange might be a good or bad price, you have to specify exactly which goodyears you are being offered.

2. With alloys the definite choice is tubeless, but without alloys i would still suggest tubeless, especially since you have a 13" rim, so chances of rim damage are low, and therefore there will be a nice air-seal for the tubeless tires. Try and get an anti-rust coating on the inside of the steel wheel (especially around the valve hole) before mounting the new tire.

3. 185/70 is preffered over 65

4. See post #25 in this thread for some accessory prices. (there was a more extensive list somewhere that i cant seem to find)

Ok, so now to the issue of alloys vs steel wheels.

Chances of your alloys getting messed up is unlikely if you stick with 13" or 14" wheels and drive on half decent roads.
If you want to save about 12-16k, then stick with the steel wheels as it wont be a huge disadvantage.
If you want better looks, and a quicker more responsive steering and tighter cornering car, then upgrade to 14" alloys.

Basically, if you are sticking with 13", save yourself 15k and stick with the steel wheels, but if you really want to DRIVE the baleno, then 14" would make a noticeable difference.

cya
R
Old 4th July 2005, 16:20   #81
Senior - BHPian

@shobhit, yes the exchange price is reasonable. go with 185/70. always stick with tubeless, even if on stock rims.

BTW, there's another modded black Baleno. It has a totally redone front bumper+grille treatment, so much so that I mistook it for an accent from far. Also has alloys and skirts. In Indiranagar.
Old 5th July 2005, 00:21   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shobhit15
Hey ppl. I have finally decided on buying Baleno LXI. I have decided to exhange my 165 tyres with 185 ones. What I'd like to know is do alloy wheels really help ?

I am confused now. Even though the tyre dealers whom I talked to all sold alloys they advised me not to go for them.

Also I want to know a few points :

1. I'm getting Goodyear 185/70 R 13 tubeless tyres for Rs 6,000 extra in exhange of new baleno 165 tyres. Is this price reasonable ?

2. Which tyres would be better without alloys - tubeless or regular ones ?

3. For normal rims, which tyre would be better for Baleno - 185/70 or 185/65 ?

4. If I want to replace the centre console with the silvery one (which comes in VXI), what is the approx. cost of that ?
Shobhit,
I also have a black Baleno. if you want to change the rims go for 14 inch rims and not 13 inch again. the reason is that a bigger rim looks better than a smaller one and makes the car look a bit more muscular.
Basically
1. Stock rims (13") shift to 185/70 R 13 you get a variety of choices here from yokohama to Pirelli, goodyear, michelin...
2. Alloys (14") shift to 185/65 R 14 possibly only one choice Goodyear Eagle NCT 5 tyres that come as OE in optra. I have done this and find that body roll has reduces considerably as well as cornering has become very safe at high speeds.

the ride will become a bit harsher once you change the OE tyres to 14" but the grip will improve by a VAST amount too. Above 20kmph...the ride will be smooth too...
Old 5th July 2005, 00:51   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shobhit15
All right. Suppose I go for alloys. The dealer is offering me Aura brand which has warranty of 1 yr and he says that Maruti also fits the same alloys as OE. Is that correct ?
it is correct..Aura is available in Maruti showrooms though I hate the designs they provide..so many better looking designs are available in the market!!
Old 7th July 2005, 01:33   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arup10
Thanks for the info. BTW how are Goodyear Eagle NCT5/ NCT3
I use Goodyear 185/65 R 14 Eagle NCT 5 and the grip is very good and the road noise is lower then the michelins (155/80 R 13) I have in my other car.

Used Bridgestones in the past in my fiat uno and while they lasted 48 K (were ready for another 15 K but I was too bored) I believe the road noise was excessive and the ride comfort and wet grip was no great shakes either.
If you own a Baleno...the ride will become a bit harsher...with 185/65 R 14 thoug the handling will become Excellant...so will be the looks as a bigger alloy wheel looks better ..for better ride comfort you can shoose 185/70 R 13 and they will fit over orignal rims too....
Old 7th July 2005, 10:15   #85
BHPian

Thanks guys. I will go for original 13 inch rims and get the original tyres exchanged with 185/70 R 13 ones.
Old 8th July 2005, 15:50   #86
BHPian

Are 13" Aloys available?
Is it necessary to go for 14" when upgrading to alloy rims?

Thanks
Old 8th July 2005, 16:00   #87
Senior - BHPian

13" alloys are available...its just that you wont have much choice as to 14" or 15"
Old 8th July 2005, 17:33   #88
BHPian

I am considering of upgrading to 13" Aloy and 185/70 R13 tubeless. The reasons being in followin order
1. FE
2. Maintaining or bettering Ride Comfort
3. Looks & Handling

Is my choice/profile correct?

Which brand of tubeless should I opt? Reading various posts, it looks Goodyear could be the one for my requiremens.

Where can I get the best deal and choice in Mumbai?
Any good shops in Central Mumbai, Sion-Kolhiwada?

Thanks
Old 8th July 2005, 20:58   #89
Senior - BHPian

Yeah your choices are pretty much spot on. You could try for Yokohamas. They are the best in the business. Cheap, and great grip. The Super Baleno had them! Else Goodyear Ducaros, which is what I have.
Old 9th July 2005, 01:47   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
3. Looks & Handling
This is one bit you maynot get with 185/70 R13. With a sidewall measuring 129mm, the tyre's gonna look plump on those 13" wheels.

Don't expect much in the handling department as the sidewalls won't have the stiffness or stability to prevent flexing, which will cause the tyres to reach they adhesive limit much earlier.

Shan2nu

Most Viewed