Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2004, 02:56   #16
Senior - BHPian

Abt tires , anyone tried MRF ZVRS.
I think even they are pretty good
Old 22nd December 2004, 18:01   #17
BHPian

Hi i have 14" HR Mags with 205/60 R14 ES100 Yokohama tires, amazing looks with grip. could cost u around rs 4000/tyre.
Old 20th June 2005, 10:52   #18
BHPian

Stock tyres on the Baleno

Hi,

My first post here. I have been "hanging" around these forums for the last couple of weeks and have taken all your advice into consideration before deciding on the purchase.

After a lot of test driving, soul-searching and arguments with wife and friends, I have decided to buy the Baleno Lxi E3 based on the posts in these forums and the car is being delivered (hopefully) this Sunday.

The car I test drove was the Baleno Vxi with stock tyres and I did not find anything wrong with the handling. As you know, the stock tyres are the 165/80/R13 Bridgestones.

Now my question. What is the problem with these tyres? I have seen many posts recommending 175, 185 or even 195 tyres on R14, but couldnt find much on what is the problem with the stock ones. Is it mainly a visual upgrade (of course with some minor performance gains)? Or does it really make sense to go for a higher tyre size?

I should add that most of my driving will be in the city with very occassional forays on the highways. To give you a fair idea, I have had a Zen LX for four years now and have driven a grand total of approx 10,000 kms. Dont laugh, please.

For this kind of driving, am I better off with the stock tyres? I can use the money saved on something else.
Old 20th June 2005, 11:48   #19
RJK
Senior - BHPian

If you drive fast & attack corners, then change the tyres. Otherwise don't bother if you just use the car as a means of getting from point A to B. You obviously don't drive a lot, so my suggestion would be to not bother changing tyres.
Old 20th June 2005, 12:01   #20
Team-BHP Support

I bought a Baleno Lxi EIII just 2 months back. Since I bought it as a performance car, I changed the tyres to Unidirectional 195/60R14 on the day of delivery.

I have driven it in some really twisty ghat roads at pretty high speed (for those roads) and didn't experience a skid or slip even once. It just stayed glued to the road all the while. Also it adds significantly to the looks of the car. My F-I-L who was disappointed about me buying a Baleno, was very impressed when he saw it with bigger and wider alloys/tyres, his driver was drooling over the tyres.

If you don't plan to throw it around corners or do high speed driving, then you should be ok with stock tyres. It can cause quite a damage to your wallet, between 25K-30K for alloys/wheels.
Old 20th June 2005, 12:03   #21
BHPian

Thanks, RJK. Yeah, my main use of the car is to get from point A to point B, in some style if I can. Comfort is uber important, performance coming second. I am planning to use the car much more from now on but I still dont see how I can exceed a few 1000 kms every year.

But exactly what will I be trading off when I retain the stock tyres? Grip? Comfort? Mileage? Better braking ability? That stuck-to-the-road feeling?

I already know that the Baleno drives so much better than my Zen, just that I'd like to be doubly sure of everything before deciding on the tyres.
Old 20th June 2005, 12:03   #22
BHPian

Hi guys, even I am getting a Baleno Lxi by this weekend, and have the same dilemma reagrding the tyre upgrade.
I have been suggested to upgrade the stock tyres to 185/70 R13, which I believe will improve handling but get the FE down by about 0.5 kmpl.

So guys please suggest if i should go for a 175/70 R13 instead to get a better balance between handling and FE.
Also what will be the impact on the performance of the car?

I intend to keep the original 13" rims and don't plan to go for 14" rims or Alloys.

My running is about 30-40 Kms per day.
Old 20th June 2005, 12:08   #23
BHPian

Also does anybody know how much does it cost to replace the black centre console of the Lxi model with a silver finish one.

Thanks.
Old 20th June 2005, 12:17   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by arup10
I have been suggested to upgrade the stock tyres to 185/70 R13, which I believe will improve handling but get the FE down by about 0.5 kmpl.
If you are worried about FE difference 0.5, you shouldn't upgrade. You obviously won't push the car enough to make the upgrade worth. Therefore, stick with the stock tyres.

I still haven't bothered to find out the FE of my car even after 2 months and 3000+ on odo. I only have a very vague idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker
Thanks, RJK. Yeah, my main use of the car is to get from point A to point B, in some style if I can. Comfort is uber important, performance coming second.
Same goes for you too. If ride comfort is really important over performance, don't upgrade, save your money.

Quote:
Also does anybody know how much does it cost to replace the black centre console of the Lxi model with a silver finish one.
Rs.1190 is what I paid.
Old 20th June 2005, 12:18   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai
If you don't plan to throw it around corners or do high speed driving, then you should be ok with stock tyres. It can cause quite a damage to your wallet, between 25K-30K for alloys/wheels.
No, I am not planning on throwing it around any corner. High speed driving in the city is ruled out with traffic in BLR being what it is. So I guess I will go with the stock tyres. Thanks for the suggestions.

BTW, the dealer (Sagar Auto) quoted 14K for alloy wheels and 6K for the set of 175/R13 Bridgestone tyres, so I am on paper saving 20K.

Do you think I can put some kinda cover on the exposed wheels to slightly pretty up the looks?
Old 20th June 2005, 12:27   #26
BHPian

Quote:
If you are worried about FE difference 0.5, you shouldn't upgrade. You obviously won't push the car enough to make the upgrade worth. Therefore, stick with the stock tyres.
How do you think is the option of going for 175/70 and not 185/70??
How will it affect the handling, FE and ride comfort compared to the stock tyres??

A tyre dealer is ready to exchange the stock ones for new 186/70 R13 for about Rs.2,500.
Old 20th June 2005, 12:43   #27
BHPian

Quote:
I still haven't bothered to find out the FE of my car even after 2 months and 3000+ on odo. I only have a very vague idea.
Also, how much is your car giving in terms of FE?
Old 20th June 2005, 13:06   #28
BHPian

Quote:
A tyre dealer is ready to exchange the stock ones for new 186/70 R13 for about Rs.2,500.
2500??? For a set of 5? Or is it 2500 x 5 = 12500? That sounds either very cheap or quite expensive, depending on which one is correct.

Gurus care to comment on this? As mentioned above, I am getting a quote of 6000/- for 175/R13 (set of 5) from the dealer, on exchange basis of the unused stock tyres.
Old 20th June 2005, 13:46   #29
BHPian

hi guys.. another Baleno Lxi owner chipping in.. I bought the lxi around the same time as Samurai.. have done about 5k on the odo over the past 2.5 mths .. most of this daily driving.. with just 150 km(one way) long drive... a 250 kms (one way) trip coming up this weekend (hopefully)...

coming to tyres.. i run on the stock tyres... had aslo speculated a lot like you guys on the option of switching.... but then took a decision purely based on fin reasons to defer the purchase to about 6 mths.. by when i would completed around 10 k on the odo and would also have run the car thru the mumbai monsoons.... here's my 2 cents
1) i do speeds of 100-110 at a certain stretch daily... have not had any issues here at all.. the car latches on to road very well
2) a certain flyover with superb turns that on a few good n less traffic days i take at 60-70.. havent had any slipping or loss of control issues
3) have pushed the car to 135 once.... the car only was asking for more....
4) these tyres make a hell lot of noise.. i can literally hear/feel the change of road surface... not sure whether all tyres would make such a noise...
5) the comfort factor on these tyres is good .. not one of the best tho.'' and they way i understand tyre dynamics... increasing the size would result in a decrease in profile and hence ride comfort( pls correct me if i am wrong)..

as for me.. i still intend to change tyres... but only to tubeless tyres and to change to alloy rims..

hope my experience helps u in ur decision making...

cheers
Old 20th June 2005, 14:04   #30
BHPian

Ah, vivaid, just the sort of feedback I was looking for! Good to hear that the car does well at high speeds (anything above 100 is high for me) and fast turns. I think with all the feedback I have got and keeping my driving characteristics in mind, I will remain on the stock tyres.

About the noise levels, does any one else have any inputs on this? I must say I did not notice much noise while test driving when I took the car beyond 80 kmph, with the AC off and stereo muted. But then I was comparing it with the noise my Zen makes when I rev her up beyond 60 on city roads. It was fairly quiet throughout, especially on mud roads where I was moving at around 60 in the Baleno. The dealer guy sitting next to me was continuously advising me to slow down to reduce speed.

Now the problem of what to do with the extra 10K or so that I have left over after this decision...but then that is worth another thread, me thinks!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks