Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2006, 02:12   #151
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
alloys are not necessary to mount tubeless tyres
With due respect,i disagree.

When steel rims used for tubeless tyres rust due to monsoon,rains,etc., the air-tight seal between the tyre and the rim is lost. I've seen cases.
Old 17th March 2006, 04:59   #152
BHPian

with nitrous on this one. The tyre also loses pressure when the rim is bent. Would suggest you go in for alloywheels with tubeless tyres. This will also make your tyres look wider as alloywheels are wider than most OEM rims.

Cheers
Santhosh
Old 17th March 2006, 12:52   #153
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous
With due respect,i disagree.

When steel rims used for tubeless tyres rust due to monsoon,rains,etc., the air-tight seal between the tyre and the rim is lost. I've seen cases.
I have them on my Uno (three rims bent over time and then hammered back in shape by the roadside tyrewallah)...for three years now... (155/80 R 13 Michelins).
Please also let our friend know...that while steel rims only bend...alloys CRACK if the impact is big???
I have alloys on my Baleno and regular rims on the uno (all tubeless tyres). Alloy wheels give a better look but if one is on a tight budget..IMHO they provide little else practical value. (I dont agree with the lighter weight > better efficiency and better ride bit...it is a very very marginal difference if at all there is)

Honda City, Optra, Ford fiesta...all come with tubeless tyres on pressed steel disc (the regular rims) rims....so why would you disagree???

Last edited by Buffetfan : 17th March 2006 at 12:56.
Old 19th March 2006, 13:53   #154
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffetfan
if you are interested.(and dont want to invest in alloys)..talk to maruti and a few tyrewallahs first..before taking delivery of car...so that you can get a good resale for your current set that the car will come with..
I know normally people would upgrade only AFTER the run in period... was wondering what are the drawbacks of running in with bigger rim/tyres ?

ALSO

Approx. what price could one expect while exchanging stock tyre/rim after a few 1000km of run in? (I know it differs, but Im asking what sort of depreciation these tyre dealers keep)

Thanks.
Old 19th March 2006, 15:30   #155
aZa
Senior - BHPian

"Run in" Tyres are called "Chasis tyres" and to get a good price its always advisable to change them as soon as u buy the car. I change the stock tyres on my santro to GIII 175/60/R13 paying 1000Rs extra per tyre. The car had 200Kms on the odo that time. While in my other car an accent i changed it with 50kms on the odo for the same.

Alloys and rims have an issue, while buying alloys i wanted to exchange the stock rims the dealer quoted 500 per rim and that was way too low, he told me to rather keep the stock rims and sell my car with those as i could still manage a decent resale value for the chrome alloys. Made sense to me so i still have the black stock rims as show peices in my room lol
Old 19th March 2006, 15:35   #156
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Aza. Yeah in terms of $$$ it definately makes sense to trade in at the time of purchase, because I would never be able to convince my dad to shell out another 45k for my choice of alloys and tyres.

Im just curious as to whether there are any drawbacks to running in a new engine with wider tyres, alloys and bigger rims.
Old 20th March 2006, 10:23   #157
Senior - BHPian

The Baleno Vxi comes with the same set of tyres (that you want to upgrade to) and with the same suspension and engine to the best of my knowledge..
Depreciation could be huge if you change after a 1000 kms.... I paid Rs 1350-1400 (cant remember) /tyre when IO changed from the original 165/80 R 13 to 185/65 R 14 but this was done at the time of car purchase.
Old 26th March 2006, 13:20   #158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sajesh
Hi to....
I am a very new member to this forum. I have a question running in my mind for past some time about Baleno as i am getting one in another 5 - 6 days. Its about wheel size, i had searched thru the net and all possible places for answers to my question but with little luck.

I have the following questions:

1. how much of mileage drop will be there if i chage the orignial tyres (i.e) 165/80 R13 to 185/65 R14.
2. What would be other implications with it.

Though i went thru earlier topicc on this, i dint have enough calrity on the same.

Please advise.

Thanks,
Sajesh
I too had similar queries bofore my baleno vxi, what i heard from experts are as follows.

1. Mileage drop should happen because there is more rubber to ground contact. but this i heard is negligible like about 0.2 or 0.3 kms/ltr

2. Implications : more rubber contact means BETTER ROAD GRIP, better cornering control. If you dont drive below 90kmph lxi tyres are fine. Better Looks with 14 inch rim. Go for 5-spoke alloys, any wheel change, wheel balancing is critical. Tubeless tyres are supposed to safer than the tube-tyres.

3. Aura alloys look very average. I heard HR alloys make good looking one.....Insist on a 100 PCD alloy for perfect fitment with Baleno.

Bottom line : If you dont drive very fast [below 90 kmph], IMHO dont change your tyres, just get a MGA wheel caps for 1200/-
Old 26th March 2006, 14:07   #159
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Something that i noticed not mentioned was that better tyres not only give u better handling but better breaking too .. Have personally seen bigger , wider tyres make a hell lot of difference when it comes to braking .. Not to mention lesser wheelspins too ..
Old 27th March 2006, 21:42   #160
BHPian

The best config you could go in for is:

185/65 R14 tyres : Goodyear Eagle NCT 5 (Yes the ones on Optra) or Bridgestone Turanzas if you can get hold of them. I've heard that Michelin Certis are awesome but not available easily.

For your rims go in for R14 x 5j to match your tyres.
Old 23rd April 2006, 22:56   #161
BHPian

hi.. ive used up my 185/70/R13 goodyears on my baleno... there's barely 20% tread left.. I'm seriously looking for 205/60/R13 Falken tyres, they're the ones with the single F1 tread design. Also looking for a good set of alloy wheels.

I would like advice on whether to go in for 205/60/R13 or 195/65/R14 Flaken rubber, or if there's any better rubber in the market.
Golden Tyres (Pune) has quoted me 2850 per tyre for the 205/60/R13 Falkens.. and 2900 per tyre for the 195/65/R14 Falkens...

need to change my tyres in around a week's time...

Experts, please advise..
Old 23rd April 2006, 23:20   #162
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrivz
I would like advice on whether to go in for 205/60/R13 or 195/65/R14 Flaken rubber, or if there's any better rubber in the market.
Both are wrong sizes for the Baleno. You should pick either 195/60R14 or 205/50R15. Use the tire calc, don't just pick numbers from thin air.
Old 24th April 2006, 01:20   #163
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkatrx

3. Aura alloys look very average. I heard HR alloys make good looking one.....Insist on a 100 PCD alloy for perfect fitment with Baleno.
what do u mean by 100 PCD? is it anything about the width of alloy?also while selecting an alloy , should one check whethre it weigh less than the stock setup?
Old 24th April 2006, 14:13   #164
Senior - BHPian

Pitch circle diameter...Dia of that imaginary circle that can be drawn through the lugs that support the wheel....for a 4 lug wheel it is the distance between the diagonal lugs...
Old 24th April 2006, 14:46   #165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hari_rama
what do u mean by 100 PCD? is it anything about the width of alloy?also while selecting an alloy , should one check whethre it weigh less than the stock setup?
PCD stands for (pitch circle diameter), this is the diameter of a circle drawn through the center of your wheel's bolt holes. PCD is measured in millimetres and also indicates the number of studs or bolts the wheel will have. The most common fitment has 4 studs with a PCD of 100mm, hence the fitment 4x100. Check the fitment guide above to check the fitment of your car, if you are unsure consult a technician. [source : http://www.rochfordtyres.co.uk/fitmentguide.asp]

alloys are made of aluminium and most of them are lighter than the stock rim (which are made of steel)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks