Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2013, 13:03   #136
BHPian

re: Chevy Beat : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Thanks fangface. I am planning to retain my steel rims. Yes even I am thinking of 175/65/14. What was the brand you went for?
Old 4th December 2013, 01:58   #137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balaji31582 View Post
Thanks fangface. I am planning to retain my steel rims. Yes even I am thinking of 175/65/14. What was the brand you went for?
Finally bought Michelin XM2, have driven about 500+ km on them already and very happy with my purchase.

Also evaluated Pirelli P1 and Yokohama Earth 1 but opted for the Michelins.
Old 28th April 2014, 13:41   #138
BHPian

Chevy Beat TCDi tyre upgrad 175/70

After about 28K kms of driving, I have finally upgraded my Beat Diesel's (LT Opt) rubber to Good Year Dura Plus 175/70 R14 from Sai Iyengar Tyres, Bannerghatta.

I must say, I was much skeptic about upgrading to 175/70, however to dealer's assurance I went ahead and bought them instead of usual upsize of 175/65.
It seems, while while the Beat TCDi feels at home with the 175/70; on the Beat P will create issues. For now, my car on 175/70 looks and feels perfect fit and very stock (looks wise as well).

Been driving for now over 15 days, and no issues (after some extensive testing with 4 ppl on board over famous cratered roads / humps / bumps / speed breakers / car breakers of Bangalore. And I must say, the my Beat has never been so confident inspiring to drive. None of the about categories of road problems, now pose any threat to my car.

The good parts:

- SUVish stance of the Car!
- No underbelly scraping even at 100% loads at any speeds
- Steering is slightly more weighted and very confidence inspiring
- Car feels more torquey (while taking a toll on roll on figures)
- Drastic improvement in Braking, especially above 3 digit speeds (with ABS)
- Wheel arches are covered very well, without making it look "modified"!
- Much more silent than the stock Good Years

Not so good parts:

- Fuel efficiency has taken a hit by about 2Kmpl.
- Car feels heavier and takes more time to accelerates (i'm not really complaining as it was desired while using P2 mode in Dieseltronic.
- Slightly more difficult to maneuver at parking speeds.
Attached Thumbnails
Chevy Beat : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-4.jpg  

Chevy Beat : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-3.jpg  

Chevy Beat : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-2.jpg  

Chevy Beat : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-1.jpg  

Chevy Beat : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-5.jpg  

rahuldevnath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2014, 14:24   #139
BHPian

My Beat Diesel LT has clocked 40,000 and three of the tyres need replacement. As per suggestions on this thread I want to upgrade to 175/65R14. However I have 2 doubts –
  • I want to retain my stock steel rims. The stock wheel size is 14 X 4.5J whereas the recommend rim size for 175/65R14 (as per http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible_...ixzz2mJyw8ehP_)is 14 X 5J. So what’s the impact of the using stock rims? Should I upgrade the rims as well?
  • One of my tyres is in pretty good condition. Can I keep it as spare for emergency and change only the 4 tyres? This way I might be running on 3 175/65R14 and 1 165/65/R14 in case or a puncture.
Old 4th August 2014, 17:46   #140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satishchugh View Post
My Beat Diesel LT has clocked 40,000 and three of the tyres need replacement. As per suggestions on this thread I want to upgrade to 175/65R14. However I have 2 doubts –
  • I want to retain my stock steel rims. The stock wheel size is 14 X 4.5J whereas the recommend rim size for 175/65R14 (as per http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible_...ixzz2mJyw8ehP_)is 14 X 5J. So what’s the impact of the using stock rims? Should I upgrade the rims as well?
  • One of my tyres is in pretty good condition. Can I keep it as spare for emergency and change only the 4 tyres? This way I might be running on 3 175/65R14 and 1 165/65/R14 in case or a puncture.

I have the exact same query. It's been 4+ years with the stock tyres and a total of 46,000 KMS which i believe is enough. One tyre is in a pretty good condition.

It seems 175/65 R14 is recommended.

1. How big is the impact on fuel efficiency ?
2. I do not drive/corner at high speeds with maximum travel is on the expressway with 80 KM/Hr. In such a scenario which brand is recommended?
3. Pointer as to how much vitamin M will be required for this
Old 26th August 2014, 22:32   #141

Falken SN835 vs Michelin XM2 vs Yoko Earth 1

Hi Guys,

I am planning to replace the set of shoes on my Beat Petrol. I am looking at size 175/65 R14. The discussions with Tyre dealers have got me confused. Which of the following is a good Tyre if I am looking for Comfortable ride, least road noise and a minimum run of about 30000 kms on the new shoes:

1. Michelin XM2.
2. Yokohama Earth 1.
3. Falken Sincera SN835.
4. Continental CC5.

Thanks
Old 17th October 2014, 22:21   #142
Senior - BHPian

Me too (Beaty) stepped into 175/65/R14 shoes finally.

Highly Recommended upgrade.

I went for Yokohama Earth 1.

Cheers!

Vinu
Old 20th October 2014, 18:58   #143
BHPian

Finally the time has come to change my wheels. Both Tires & Alloys.
I have gone through each and every comment on this thread and also the otherson Tbhp. What I gather is
> 174/65/R14/4.5J and 5.5J is doable with existing wheels.

Since I am upgrading both at the same time, and I have frequented atleast 4 shops and websites for purchasing alloys, I really think 14inch limits the options of buying an alloy. Also,I am really inspired by some mods shared in this thread where they have 17inch alloys too (not that I want to do that). But upgrading wheels is more important.. There are lot of options for tires anyway.

Can I upgrade wheels to 15 inch with 5.5J or 6J?
Is it doable? Are there any implications which I may be missing on?

Any lead would be of great help. Many thanks in advance.

PS: I like wider base and a leaner look. It may not be always suitable for Indian roads, but still...

Last edited by parishrut786 : 20th October 2014 at 19:00. Reason: missed a point
Old 30th November 2014, 16:59   #144
BHPian

Finally I have upgraded to 175/65R14 from CEAT Gripp LN series.

I actually went for Yokohoma Earth 1 of same size but then dealer was able to convince me for the Ceat Gripp LN. Considering they were the range topper from Ceat and were also marketed as low noise and high speed sealed the deal for me. I found very limited feedback online and that wasn't negative. Let me now drive and hope they work well.
satishchugh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2015, 17:26   #145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satishchugh View Post
Finally I have upgraded to 175/65R14 from CEAT Gripp LN series.

I actually went for Yokohoma Earth 1 of same size but then dealer was able to convince me for the Ceat Gripp LN. Considering they were the range topper from Ceat and were also marketed as low noise and high speed sealed the deal for me. I found very limited feedback online and that wasn't negative. Let me now drive and hope they work well.
Hi,

I am upgrading the stock on my Beat with 50k on the odo.

Any feedback on the Ceat Gripp LN?

Thanks in advance.
Old 7th February 2015, 14:59   #146
BHPian

Hi Everyone,

I have a Beat PS Petrol with stock Apollo Aceleres (155/70/R14). I have done about 23,000 kms in the 26 months of ownership so far.

I have been facing on an average one-puncture-per-week for the past two months!! Not sure if its just my bad luck or whether it has something to do with my tyres being Apollo?

Anyways, I am really concerned about the number of puncture repairs that I have already had to carry out on my tyres. Would it cause a safety risk? I am thinking of going in for a new set of tyres. Having gone through the entire discussion on this topic so far, its quite evident that 175/65/R14 is the correct upgrade size.

However, I am unable to decide which brand to go for. I understand that the best possible options are-
- Bridgestone Turanza
- Michelin XM2
- Yoko Earth 1

I'd really be grateful if anyone could help me decide between these three. Most of the driving will be within the city with 4-5 long drives in a year.

What's the cost I should expect in Bangalore?
Old 12th February 2015, 16:20   #147
Distinguished - BHPian

You cant upsize if the rims are narrow. I think the Beat's rims are too narrow for 175/65-14. If you have 4.5j or 5j rims, you should be fine but for some reason I recall the Beat as coming with 4j rims.

If it is 4j rims, you have to stick to the same size. No option unfortunately.

In 175/65-14, the XM2 is around 4700, the Earth 1 is around 4600/- Bridgestone Turanza AR 20 around 5000/-
Old 12th February 2015, 19:31   #148
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by red.devil_19 View Post
Having gone through the entire discussion on this topic so far, its quite evident that 175/65/R14 is the correct upgrade size.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
You cant upsize if the rims are narrow. I think the Beat's rims are too narrow for 175/65-14. If you have 4.5j or 5j rims, you should be fine but for some reason I recall the Beat as coming with 4j rims.

If it is 4j rims, you have to stick to the same size. No option unfortunately.

In 175/65-14, the XM2 is around 4700, the Earth 1 is around 4600/- Bridgestone Turanza AR 20 around 5000/-
Tckanth is running 175/65-14 tyres on his beat. Request him to provide feedback!
Old 21st May 2015, 17:52   #149

Finally did it.
My Beat (Petrol) now runs on 185/60 R14.
Ran 38000 kms on the stock 155/70 R14 (JK Vectra)
Recommended upgrade
(Pictures towards the end)
  • Bridgestone Potenza GIII 185/60 R14s
    (Rs. 4800/- each. Two tyres - 3 months old, the other two - 6 months old)
  • Plati Premium alloys - 14x6J 100/108 PCD 8 Hole
  • Super-surprisingly, FE shows no drop.
    The approximate average FE stands around 15kmpl, just like it was before the upgrade.
    This FE calculation is based on fuel-gauge readings and not the ideal tankfull-to-tankfull method.
    But it's a fact that the FE remains more or less the same.
  • Braking has been a strong point of the car and the goodness continues through the upgrade.
It has been a great upgrade; I'm really happy about the decision.
The whole car now feels much better and very good.
It had been 5 years with the Beat and this has been a rekindling of spirits

Couple of points after riding 1000 kms.
  • Although 185/60 was mentioned as a "bit overkill" for Beat, I don't feel that way.
  • Initial acceleration (upto 30kmph) feels a tiny bit slower than before but it's certainly not a deal-breaker.
    The tiny bit of acceleration you lose initially pays you back in the form of steady-ness and planted-ness once you are upto speed.
  • Proves that the Beat's 1.2L engine can drive the 185/60s just fine.
  • The steering got only marginally heavier - negligible difference.
  • No considerable drop in FE.
  • No scraping observed. Wheels are 6J.
  • I continue to keep the tyres at 32 psi - the stock inflation value.
  • The wheel+tire doesn't stick out considerably.
    Only the 'bulge' of the sidewall looks outside the wheel arch.
  • Spare wheel is of the stock-size.
    I'm told it's fine for emergency distances upto 30-50kms.
    Might fit an used 185/60 on one of the old steel rims (4.5J)
  • Opted for Bridgestone for their 'toughness/ruggedness' compared to Yoko and Michelin.
    Had Turanza in mind, but only Potenza was available.
Neutral / not-so-great points
  • The steering sometimes feels a tiny bit off-center.
    Aligned twice but it feels that way at times.
    Because of the wider tires interfering with the steering setup - commented a technician.
    Not a deal-breaker.
  • Wet roads will create graffiti on the front doors and on the underside of ORVMs
    Not a deal-breaker, again.
Potential concerns
  • Whether the upgrade will interfere with the steering + suspension + wheel bearings is something only time will tell.
    As of now, there is no data to suggest bad surprises.
    I decided to take my chances. #YOLO
To sum up
Will I recommend this upgrade to a friend? Yes.

I'll recommend this upgrade more to the ones who had the car for sometime now (thus less fearful of 'breaking' the car) and who are not planning to sell it off soon.
Attached Thumbnails
Chevy Beat : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_20150501_133808.jpg  

Chevy Beat : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_2356.jpg  

Chevy Beat : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_2359.jpg  

Chevy Beat : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_2369.jpg  

Chevy Beat : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_20150502_111934.jpg  

Chevy Beat : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_20150424_193821.jpg  

Chevy Beat : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_20150424_200205.jpg  

Chevy Beat : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_20150505_163434.jpg  

AravindJose is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st May 2015, 23:55   #150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AravindJose View Post
I'll recommend this upgrade more to the ones who had the car for sometime now (thus less fearful of 'breaking' the car) and who are not planning to sell it off soon.
Hi there mate. You got this done at Club Saturn right ? Mind sharing what you paid for the tyres+rims? Nice upgrade there and nice to see you are from Kottayam.
Only problem I see with GIII is that they go hard around 30k kms, and do take it easy on potholed stretches. They should be fine. Enjoy the grip.
Might be OT: I was in the same boat a month ago and had been running on JK Tornaedos 165/80 14 for 37000 kms. I have a 2009 Ritz P. Went for a 205/60 14 upgrade. Like you said .... #YOLO

Cheers !!!

Last edited by aswin ajith : 21st May 2015 at 23:59.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks