Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2008, 12:59   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
That was a great info dude, thankx
Old 18th August 2009, 00:27   #47
Senior - BHPian

Is there a different tyre rotation pattern for FWD, RWD, LHD and RHD cars? I was suggested a different pattern from what the Alto's manual says. I was told that the manual specifies rotation for RHD cars.

I have been using the 5 tyre rotation model for the last 30K kms and I see my tyres are in decent shape except for the rubber getting harder.

Last edited by mail4ajo : 18th August 2009 at 00:30.
Old 18th August 2009, 10:13   #48
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

5 tyre rotation is standard practice to ensure even wear and tear.
i follow this about once in 5000 km, along with a proper wheel alignment and tyre balancing. may be a bit of overkill but I prefer it this way.
tyre rubber will tend to get harder over time - cant be helped, thats part of the scene especially living in weather conditions like ours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
Is there a different tyre rotation pattern for FWD, RWD, LHD and RHD cars? I was suggested a different pattern from what the Alto's manual says. I was told that the manual specifies rotation for RHD cars.

I have been using the 5 tyre rotation model for the last 30K kms and I see my tyres are in decent shape except for the rubber getting harder.
Old 18th August 2009, 10:31   #49
Senior - BHPian

Can anyone tell me what is the right interval for Tyre Rotation on a Bolero. The Service MANUAL says 10k but I feel its too much. Also there is no mention of wheel alignment in the service manual. Can a good alignment shop do the job?
Old 18th August 2009, 10:38   #50
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

when I had my Bolero I used to religiously follow the 5000 km mark.
as described in my post just now below.
now i continue to follow the same detail in the scorpio and indeed the swift as well.
ref alignment shops, try and research a bit and go to the best one in your area. best to go to a reputed tyre and alloy wheel dealer who will most probably have the added service of proper alignment and balancing centre. service manual of the bolero and other such are a bit outdated - I dont think the service engineers and/ or marketing people have upgraded that manual in many years - there is so much more one can add to it in terms of car care IMO. Just spend a few minutes reading any reputed International brand's car manual and one will see the difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Can anyone tell me what is the right interval for Tyre Rotation on a Bolero. The Service MANUAL says 10k but I feel its too much. Also there is no mention of wheel alignment in the service manual. Can a good alignment shop do the job?
Old 7th January 2010, 12:33   #51
Senior - BHPian

Revived The Thread!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I dont think the service engineers and/ or marketing people have upgraded that manual in many years - there is so much more one can add to it in terms of car care IMO. Just spend a few minutes reading any reputed International brand's car manual and one will see the difference.
Exactly. It is time for a tyre change for may Palio. Tyres are in good condition, but they are five years old. Everyone says that tread below 1.6mm will be risky - but not many about the age of the tyres. However a couple of manufacturers clearly spell that the rubber compound used in the manufacture of tyre is good for six years only. So irrespective of mileage and tyre condition, it is better to change the tyres after six years.

And, the FIAT manual says NOT to cross the tyres during the rotation - just interchange the front and back ones. I had done only four tyre rotation so far. So my 5th (spare) has to be junked even though I haven't used it at all
Old 9th January 2010, 22:00   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Rotation every 5000 km is recommended

Alignment is also recomemnded every 5000 kms but this also depends on the kind of roads you'ver driven on.Typical medium speed highway runs don't do anything to the suspension and thus alignment is spot on even after 10000 kms.

Balancing of wheels is strongly recommended every 10000 kms
Old 13th November 2010, 09:43   #53
BHPian

I have Swift LDI with stock 165 tires. I think they are JK branded tires. My car is about 2 years old and since last 6-7 months I have been driving on VERY bad roads.
I know that on that road, my left tires specially get a very hard time due to partially un-metteled road and brick lining of the road edges.

Now that I analyse, my rear tires have specially worn out a lot, though the front tires are much better in condition. Also, as I mentioned, left tires would be getting a harder time than the right side.

What should be my rotation format? I would like to include my 5th spare too.
Old 13th November 2010, 10:53   #54
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by skumar69 View Post
I have Swift LDI with stock 165 tires. I think they are JK branded tires. My car is about 2 years old and since last 6-7 months I have been driving on VERY bad roads.
I know that on that road, my left tires specially get a very hard time due to partially un-metteled road and brick lining of the road edges.

Now that I analyse, my rear tires have specially worn out a lot, though the front tires are much better in condition. Also, as I mentioned, left tires would be getting a harder time than the right side.

What should be my rotation format? I would like to include my 5th spare too.
Tyre rotation is quite car-specific. It is included in the Car Manual.

Eg. for most Maruti cars, the front wheels come back and interchanges (i.e. Front Left to Rear Right and FR to RL) and the rear wheels go to the front unchanged.

But for my Corsa, the rotation is : front wheels come back, rear wheels go ahead, without interchanges.

All car manuals have the tyre rotation policy mentioned; have a look at that.

There is also a separate depiction if you want to include the spare tyre.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2010, 11:07   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Tyre rotation is quite car-specific. It is included in the Car Manual.

Eg. for most Maruti cars, the front wheels come back and interchanges (i.e. Front Left to Rear Right and FR to RL) and the rear wheels go to the front unchanged.

But for my Corsa, the rotation is : front wheels come back, rear wheels go ahead, without interchanges.

All car manuals have the tyre rotation policy mentioned; have a look at that.

There is also a separate depiction if you want to include the spare tyre.
I should also mention that my spare tire has a fixed puncture. So being a tubeless tire, it has that red thick wire type thing showing up inserted in the puncture spot. Is the tire safe/OK to be put back in regular use during rotation?
Old 13th November 2010, 11:14   #56
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by skumar69 View Post
I should also mention that my spare tire has a fixed puncture. So being a tubeless tire, it has that red thick wire type thing showing up inserted in the puncture spot. Is the tire safe/OK to be put back in regular use during rotation?
Can't really comment on that since it depends on the size and location of puncture. If it is small and has not eroded much rubber, I guess it should not be a problem.

Ask the mechanic if the tyre is fit enough and then decide.

If there is not much significant difference in the wear and tear of the tyres in use and the spare tyre, don't include it in the rotation.
Old 15th November 2010, 16:57   #57
BHPian

I recently got my tyre rotation, balancing and allignment done from Ceat Shoppe in Koramangala Bangalore. I have found them to be quite good as I have always got a good allignment and balancing done from them. As I was doing a 4-tyre rotation, they recommended that I do a simple front and back same side rotation. This is what their chart also said although my manual said that I should switch the sides of the rears when they are moved forward. I actually followed the Ceat Shoppe recommendation as I felt it was better since I had gotten the other one done once and that made the car pull to the left even with correct allignment. I drive a 2005 Esteem VXi. So please advice if this was right.

Last edited by sarmarishi : 15th November 2010 at 16:58.
Old 15th November 2010, 17:35   #58
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarmarishi View Post
I recently got my tyre rotation, balancing and allignment done from Ceat Shoppe in Koramangala Bangalore. I have found them to be quite good as I have always got a good allignment and balancing done from them. As I was doing a 4-tyre rotation, they recommended that I do a simple front and back same side rotation. This is what their chart also said although my manual said that I should switch the sides of the rears when they are moved forward. I actually followed the Ceat Shoppe recommendation as I felt it was better since I had gotten the other one done once and that made the car pull to the left even with correct allignment. I drive a 2005 Esteem VXi. So please advice if this was right.
What the manual says would be effective only if you keep all the tyres during each alignment/balacing constant; i.e. each time you rotate, there are only the eact 4 tyres rotated. If you were to swap tyres (eg. during a puncture) and do not fix the original tyre back at its place, there will be uneven wearing of the tyres and hence with the rotation mentioned in the manual will prove ineffective..

So, if your tyres keep exchanging places, its better you rotate them based on the wearing of each rather than the manual.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2011, 09:00   #59
Senior - BHPian

re: Tyre rotation

In my Civic I changed my tyres to Yokohama AVS dB v550 (205/65/R15).

Now it is almost 5000 kms. I need to rotate the tyres (4 tyres only).

Are these unidirectional tyres?

Which method should I use:

Option 1.

fronts go to back, same side.
Back go to front, opposite side.

Option 2.

"same side" rotation

Do I also need to do alignment. Got it done when I changed tyres (5000 kms)?

Old 15th February 2011, 18:34   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Tyre rotation

Go for option 2. It will also prevent the sideways pulling that might happen after rotation.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks