Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th February 2011, 18:42   #61
Senior - BHPian

re: Tyre rotation

Thanks Nikhil.

What is your suggestion about alignment.

I drive mostly (95%) on good roads, between Delhi and Gurgaon and the car is not pulling left or right.
Old 19th October 2011, 19:38   #62
BHPian

Hi there

My Safari GX has OE Bridgestone Duelers. It has clocked 7500 kms. i want to rotate the tyres. But I have no idea whether they are uni directional or not. Can experts please suggest me the rotation...which tyre goes where???

Thanks
Old 27th October 2011, 09:08   #63
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Hi Bridgestone dueler HT tyres are not unidirectional. Typically your tyre service chaps will do a cross by bringing the front right side tyre to the rear left side and so on. Ideally you should also bring your spare into play to ensure smooth and even wear and tear. It's worth getting this done every 5K Kim's. Cheers.
Old 29th December 2011, 16:33   #64
BHPian

5000kms on my i10 and it's time for tire rotation. I'm running on 185/60/R14 Michelin XM1+s and would like to know :

1. 4 or 5 tire rotation ?

2. Should i go for balancing and alignment as well ?

TIA
Old 29th December 2011, 16:38   #65
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_Austin View Post
5000kms on my i10 and it's time for tire rotation. I'm running on 185/60/R14 Michelin XM1+s and would like to know :

TIA
4 or 5 tyre rotation depends on you. Assuming the car is new (run only 5k kms), none of the 4 tyres in action would have undergone significant wear and tear.

So, you could keep the spare tyre as spare and rotate all the others as per the manual.

Do go in for wheel alignment/balancing.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2011, 21:25   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_Austin View Post

TIA
4 or 5 is upto you. and yes, please go for alignment at the very least.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2011, 13:37   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
4 or 5 is upto you. and yes, please go for alignment at the very least.
What would you do for your car tyres in the same state?
Old 1st January 2012, 11:38   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvinashV View Post
What would you do for your car tyres in the same state?
I normally do only 4 wheel rotation. I get alignment and balancing done about every 4-5k kms. Sometimes lesser if I have some free time! :P

Our tyres last for a really long time and never have uneven wear.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2012, 12:19   #69
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tyre rotation

If all the 5 tyres are of the same dimensions then it makes sense to do a 5 tyre rotation. Every 5k interval it should be done.

I do a 5-tyre rotation every 5k kms with front wheel's balancing and alignment religiously.

5-tyre rotation enhances the overall life of tyres by 5k kms every 25k kms. What some also do is follow a 4-tyre rotation and keep the spare as a spare only when they buy a fresh set of 4 tyres. However, rubber also has a shelf life and that spare tyre, after a new set, is good for spare only.
Old 1st January 2012, 18:25   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
If all the 5 tyres are of the same dimensions then it makes sense to do a 5 tyre rotation. Every 5k interval it should be done.
I do a 5-tyre rotation every 5k kms with front wheel's balancing and alignment religiously.
Why only the front wheels specifically fine69? So is it like every 5k only front tyres & every 10k all four?
Old 1st January 2012, 20:59   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvinashV View Post
Why only the front wheels specifically fine69? So is it like every 5k only front tyres & every 10k all four?
Balancing, though recommended at every 5k interval, works fine even till 10k intervals practically. After the first time you get all 4/5 tyres balanced, you only get the front tyres balanced every 5k kms because eventually all the tyres would be balanced every 10k kms, think about it.

We are all car lovers here but there's something called overkill. E.g. if one could change engine (mineral) oil every 5k kms for a diesel car they should (like I do) but the manufacturer recommended interval at 10k kms has worked more than fine for a lot many people (some I know personally) even up to 2 lac kms. Similarly, if you could get 4/5 tyres balanced please go ahead but if you think its overkill, just the front ones work totally fine too.
Old 1st January 2012, 21:46   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post

Similarly, if you could get 4/5 tyres balanced please go ahead but if you think its overkill, just the front ones work totally fine too.
I don't think balancing all the four tires at 5k km is an over kill.

Nikhil can clarify,perhaps.
Old 1st January 2012, 21:53   #73
BANNED

Balanced tyres stay balanced. There is no need to do balancing at 5K or 10K intervals. The only time rebalancing is required is
- you replace one or more of the tyres
- the tyres are removed from the wheels (for eg, for repairing a puncture in a tubed tyre)

Car Talk

Quote:
Is there any maintenance required between intervals?
No.
Car Talk Tip: Don't forget Newton's Seventh Law: Tires in balance tend to stay in balance. If you're having your tires rotated, don't pay extra to have them rebalanced. You probably won't need it. Have your tires rebalanced only if you feel a shimmy or vibration.
Cartalk is a radio show in the US.
Old 1st January 2012, 23:29   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinj12 View Post
I don't think balancing all the four tires at 5k km is an over kill.

Nikhil can clarify,perhaps.
It's fine either way. It only depends on your preference. 99% of the time, imbalance can be discovered due to the wobbling, jumpiness in the ride, etc... So, you can not balance your wheels for even 40k kms and be fine. When you do discover the imbalance, you can get it rectified immediately without any long term impact due to not balancing the wheels for the past 40k kms!

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Balanced tyres stay balanced. There is no need to do balancing at 5K or 10K intervals. The only time rebalancing is required is
- the tyres are removed from the wheels (for eg, for repairing a puncture in a tubed tyre)
Absolutely wrong! As the tyres wear, the point of imbalance in the tyre+rim combo shifts. when balancing is done after 5k or 10k kms, then the wheel balancer will determine the new imbalance points and rectify the issue.
Old 2nd January 2012, 00:21   #75
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

On Indian standard road conditions I ve found that balancing and aligning every 5K Kms keeps the tyres running for ages. Makes a big difference to handling and comfort, not to forget the pocket, because if maintained well ,one's tyres give one maximum life and usage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post

Car Talk

Cartalk is a radio show in the US.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks