Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2016, 09:17   #106
BANNED

Re: Tyre rotation

@Jose.solorider;3955713] The 5-wheel rotattion you have stated seems to be from a US or some other LHD place. In our situation the spare will have to go on the rear LEFT. The reason, we have far more wear on the Left than on the Right wheel. In other terms it is the side which is nearest to the road edge Further I prefer the rotation which is derived from the front-rear pattern,ie no crossing. So it will be the one as stated by you with the addition of the spare in the LH sequence.
Old 20th April 2016, 09:30   #107
BHPian

Mahindra recommends tyre rotation every 10000km with the following sequence:
Name:  TyreRotation.PNG
Views: 5148
Size:  26.3 KB

I think the same can be followed for all Indian cars.
Old 20th April 2016, 12:22   #108
BANNED

@timuseruvan; Looks fine as long as you accept the criss-cross tyre movements. Also, the spare going to the front may be contrary to the Michelin advice to have better tyres in the rear.
Old 30th May 2017, 14:28   #109
BHPian

Hello

Can someone please shed some light on how can one determine whether to go for a cross rotation or a straight rotation?

I have a VW Polo Highline - 4 alloy wheels and the spare is Steel. So cannot do a 5 tyre rotation. I had gone for wheel alignment and balancing at 5k KMs. I was suggested not to do rotation then. I recently completed 15k and went for alignment and balancing again. This time, I was suggested for a rotation and they did a simple straight rotation - Moved front tyres to rear and vice-versa. No crossings.

Can someone suggest if this rotation is fine?

PS: Alignment, balancing, rotation were done at a trusted tyre shop and not at the ASS.

Thanks!
AD
Old 30th May 2017, 14:49   #110
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aishwaryadeep View Post
Hello

Can someone please shed some light on how can one determine whether to go for a cross rotation or a straight rotation?

Can someone suggest if this rotation is fine?
Next time you rotate, consider doing a cross rotation. That should be right, and the tyres also swap sides. Personally, I get the rotation done according to the suggestion of the Hunter Roadforce machine. It usually arranges the wheels in the most suitable way given various conditions. If at all the previous and the suggested combination is the same, the technician does request for a different setup and the machine suggests a different setup.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2017, 15:23   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aishwaryadeep View Post
Hello

Thanks!
AD
I stick to following rotation on Fiesta.
Tyre rotation-tyre_rotation.jpg

Right back tyre gets swapped with spare wheel (steel), alloy gets balancing done, put on Left back. I follow same rotation every time. This solves spare wheel being not used during next tyre change!
RaguHolla is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2017, 16:06   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Next time you rotate, consider doing a cross rotation.
Thank you! Next rotation is approx 10k Kms away. Will probably take my car to a better tyre shop the next time - one that knows better about rotation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaguHolla View Post
I stick to following rotation on Fiesta.
Polo has 15" alloys and 14" steel spare. Also, the spare is recommended to be used only for emergencies. I'm afraid I can't follow this plan. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Interestingly, this is the first time I have seen a rotation plan like this. Is this something Ford recommends?

Thanks!
AD
Old 30th May 2017, 16:40   #113
BHPian

^^^
Not Ford recommended. This is what I follow to ensure all 5 tires are used. Fortunately all tires are 14".

After 5 rotation or 1.5 years I will be where, I started with. I follow 3 months rule because, roads are not great where I live, so prefer to do alignment at every three months rather than 5K.

Last edited by Jaggu : 30th May 2017 at 16:53. Reason: Fixing font tags and spelling mistakes, please use Preview before posting. Thanks.
RaguHolla is offline   Received Infraction
Old 30th May 2017, 18:01   #114
Distinguished - BHPian

You are not supposed to change direction of rotation in radial tyre. So four tyre rotation with left and right being switched between front and back is best. Fifth tyre is for emergency use only and should be switched back to boot ASAP.

Go and read the first few posts on this thread.

Last edited by sudev : 30th May 2017 at 18:02.
sudev is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th May 2017, 18:24   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
You are not supposed to change direction of rotation in radial tyre. So four tyre rotation with left and right being switched between front and back is best.
Thanks! I guess the tyre shop did a good job then!

I did read the posts before posting the question. Problem is that the first few posts here are close to a decade old, and several BHPians have suggested cross rotation over straight. So no conclusive outcome of those posts.

I guess there is no straight answer to this. To each his own maybe!

Thanks!
AD
Old 30th May 2017, 18:49   #116
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
You are not supposed to change direction of rotation in radial tyre.
Sudev, is this also applicable for asymmetrical tread pattern?
Old 31st May 2017, 08:16   #117
BANNED

@sudev; I find Honda only does a four wheel rotation, and the spare stays where it is. My Civic is over seven years old, and the spare is still in its original place. In the very early days, I managed to demolish one tyre, an undetected puncture, so got s new tyre. It still has its original paint marks on the tread.
Old 31st May 2017, 09:28   #118
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Sudev, is this also applicable for asymmetrical tread pattern?
Asymmetrical need this all the more. The original tyre mount is based on direction it will be rotating in and front back rotation keeps it rotating in same direction.
Old 31st May 2017, 13:10   #119
BHPian

Quote:
You are not supposed to change direction of rotation in radial tyre. So four tyre rotation with left and right being switched between front and back is best.

This is what Hyundai says in the Tucson manual:

Tyre rotation-imageuploadedbyteambhp1496216392.421730.jpg
Old 31st May 2017, 13:40   #120
Distinguished - BHPian

My car's manual recommend a 5 tyre rotation. The tyres (even the OEM fitted ones) are not unidirectional so this type of rotation can be carried out without issues.

The problem arises when one fits unidirectional rotation tyres & one is then limited to only 4 tyre front <---> back tyre rotation.

That leaves the spare tyre with low usage and limited to fitment on only two axles (on either LHS or RHS side of the car) as dictated by the direction of rotation arrow stamped on the sidewall.

My Honda City Type II had Falken (UGH! Never again!) directional tyres and this design became a problem after one suffered a puncture on the highway. The spare had to be fitted on an axle (rear left) when the correct direction of rotation meant it should be fitted on either the front/rear RHS axles. I stay far away from such tyres now.

Last edited by R2D2 : 31st May 2017 at 13:50. Reason: typo

Most Viewed