Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2015, 14:38   #121
Senior - BHPian

Re: Chevy Cruze : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Forget the usual suspects and check out Continental Max Contact 5. These tires are made in Modipuram, U.P. by Continental in their brand new facility. These tires have proven themselves as being rugged etc having been used by members of the Fiat group who have driven theses to Leh/Ladhak and back from Bangalore without even a single puncture leave aside cuts and bulges. Size being 205/55R16.

I myself will soon be changing the Yokohama AVS dB on my Mitsubishi to either these or the Michelin P3ST but then I do not drive on bad roads on a regular basis.

On my Swift though am using Continental Comfort Contact 5 and despite my drivers repeated attempts at damaging by rubbing against manhole covers and kerbs, not checking air pressure regularly etc. the tires are still perfect after nearly 8 moths of usage. CC5 is available upto 14" & 15" upwards the model is MC5 and both are made in the same plant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK1 View Post
So here are my priorities.

Sturdyness - as puncture and cutproof as possible
Safety - decent dry/wet grip, braking etc

I am ready to compromise on FE, noise, cost and the rest.

I have been recommended Bridgestone Potenza G3 and Pirelli P7.
G3 - 205/60/R16 - 7000/-
P7 - 205/60/R16 -7900/-
P7 - 215/60/R16 -8300/-

I am still open for any other suggestions but am planning to buy really soon.
Currently running stock garbage .

Thanks
Old 20th December 2015, 22:21   #122
a2k
BHPian

Just bought a used Chevy Cruze and the first upgrade I wanted to do was the tyres after seeing the stock JK Tyres. I have a friend who works for Goodyear and he promised great prices. Reading through the forum the Michelin Primacy 3ST seems to be the pick of the lot for this car. Is the Michelin Primacy 3ST worth the difference in price. Would also greatly appreciate if you could point me out to a tyre dealer who offers a competitive price on the Michelins.
Old 22nd December 2015, 00:56   #123
Senior - BHPian

The Michelin P3ST is in a different league compared to the Goodyear or most other tyres for that matter.

Most GYs become noisy beyond the 10K kms mark and take up a whole lot of weight during balancing.

Would have recommended a dealer too if you were in Dilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by a2k View Post
Just bought a used Chevy Cruze and the first upgrade I wanted to do was the tyres after seeing the stock JK Tyres. I have a friend who works for Goodyear and he promised great prices. Reading through the forum the Michelin Primacy 3ST seems to be the pick of the lot for this car. Is the Michelin Primacy 3ST worth the difference in price. Would also greatly appreciate if you could point me out to a tyre dealer who offers a competitive price on the Michelins.
khoj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2015, 10:31   #124
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a2k View Post
I had used 2 different brand tyres for my Cruze

1. CPC2
2. Michelin Primacy 3ST

Both are pricey tyres but, both are in different league from the goodyear and apollos of this world.

I would highly recommend you to get the 3ST even if they are expensive as they are worth the price and a car like Cruze definetly deserves better rubber to experience its true potential
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2016, 17:21   #125
BHPian

Falken Ziex: Opinions?

Guys,

I've done 40k on my Yokohama Advan Sports (22/50 R17 on my Cruze) and while these tyres have been fairly good to me (good dry grip, great wet grip, good braking) I've been a bit underwhelmed in other areas: they're a bit noisy at speeds over 80-90 km/h AND one of the tyres suffered a sidewall bulge at 20k when I know I didn't hit any potholes and I'm the only one who drives the car.

A friend asked me to look at the Falken Ziex range, and while I like their 'unconditional' 24-month warranty the reviews I've read online say that the treads wear out prematurely on these tyres.

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Falken/ZE912.htm
http://www.1010tires.com/Tires/Revie.../Ziex+ZE950+AS

So, friends on the forum... thoughts? The difference between the two brands for R17s is marginal - the Falkens are 11k and the Yokohama Advan Sports are 12k each.

Are the Falkens worth looking at or should I just get Advan Sports again? If neither, anyone using Michelins Primacys or Pirelli P7s and have feedback on those tyres?

MODS: Sorry, I couldn't find a post specifically about this, so please move it if one exists.
Old 17th August 2016, 17:35   #126
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Falken Ziex: Opinions?

I used Falken ZIEX back in 2004-05 on my 2002 Honda City and will never buy this brand again.

As for Michelin Primacy (3ST) there's an entire thread devoted to it with plenty of owner feedback. BTW they come with a 3 year warranty. IMO a tyre warranty is only applicable in the slim chance that they fail during use attributable to a manufacturing defect. They do NOT apply for tyre sidewall bulges and impact damage.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...hed-india.html

I'd suggest you stick to Yokos or Michelin.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2016, 17:38   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
A friend asked me to look at the Falken Ziex range, and while I like their 'unconditional' 24-month warranty the reviews I've read online say that the treads wear out prematurely on these tyres.
If you are considering Falken, I suggest taking a look at this too.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....entus+V12+evo2

I have them on my T-Jet and just love them. 2+ years and no issues, and were quite a bit cheaper than comparable Michelin/Pirelli.
keroo1099 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2016, 21:58   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
I used Falken ZIEX back in 2004-05 on my 2002 Honda City and will never buy this brand again.

As for Michelin Primacy (3ST) there's an entire thread devoted to it with plenty of owner feedback. BTW they come with a 3 year warranty. IMO a tyre warranty is only applicable in the slim chance that they fail during use attributable to a manufacturing defect. They do NOT apply for tyre sidewall bulges and impact damage.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...hed-india.html

I'd suggest you stick to Yokos or Michelin.
Thanks R2D2, but maybe you could elaborate on what was wrong with them?
Why would you never buy them again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by keroo1099 View Post
If you are considering Falken, I suggest taking a look at this too.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....entus+V12+evo2

I have them on my T-Jet and just love them. 2+ years and no issues, and were quite a bit cheaper than comparable Michelin/Pirelli.
Good to know - I wasn't considering Hankook at all. Are you running these on your Linea?
Tirerack's site seems to be offline for some reason but i checked a few other sites and these actually have very good reviews!

Last edited by ghostrider : 17th August 2016 at 22:27.
Old 17th August 2016, 22:34   #129
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks R2D2, but maybe you could elaborate on what was wrong with them? Why would you never buy them again?
It was a long time back but let me recall why I changed Falken tyres that had run just 7K kms back to Bridgestone.

a) Rolling Noise, in just 3K kms.
b) Terrible construction quality. The wheel alignment simply couldn't be done. Once the BS were back on those very same rims, the alignment could be readjusted and was back to normal.
c) Alignment issues messed my front left wheel bearing
d) Warranty problems. The dealer refused to accept there is a fault with the tyre

Man, the thing is, my life and those of my passengers depend on those 4 tyres. I am not going to put lives and my car at risk only to save a couple of 1000 bucks. Neither can I keep spending on alignment or wheel bearing replacements.

Since then, for me it has been Michelin every time. if not then Yoko, Continental or BS. All in order of preference.

BTW I have used both the Primacy LC and Primacy 3 ST on the same car. The LCs were softer and had less rolling noise.

About the Primacy series grip - well, doing 120 kmph constant on the GQ in heavy rain, strong wind and a few road side puddles. The car didn't budge. No squeaking or squealing when taking tight corners or on hills. The alignment (always by the ASC) is spot on. And yeah I take care of these tyres as best I can - alignment & rotation every year + balancing every 2 years.

Will I buy Michelins again? Heck! YEAH!! Every time with my eyes closed.

Hope this helps.
R2D2 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th August 2016, 07:21   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Are you running these on your Linea? !
Yes they are.

I find them to be much quieter than the stock tyre, plus the advantage of a more progressive brake feel, softer ride quality, and traction under hard acceleration. Have done a few long distance runs on it, and found the car staying nice and balanced even when you throw it around corners.

Hope that helps.
keroo1099 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2016, 10:44   #131
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I know the way you drive. Look at nothing other than Michelin Pilot Sports. Used them on my Civic for 15,000 km (before selling the car) and they were OUTSTANDING. Undoubtedly, the best rubber money can buy today.
Old 18th August 2016, 23:16   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I know the way you drive. Look at nothing other than Michelin Pilot Sports. Used them on my Civic for 15,000 km (before selling the car) and they were OUTSTANDING. Undoubtedly, the best rubber money can buy today.
thanks buddy. Will look into them this weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
It was a long time back but let me recall ...
Will I buy Michelins again? Heck! YEAH!! Every time with my eyes closed.

Hope this helps.
Seems like that's TWO respected BHPians rooting for the Michelins, which frankly weren't even on my radar. This is why you gotta love the forum.
Thanks guys.

Last edited by ghostrider : 18th August 2016 at 23:20.
ghostrider is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks