Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th June 2019, 18:06   #301
Senior - BHPian

Re: VW Polo : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid13 View Post
Ditched the plan to upgrade by taking expert advice that 185/60/R15 is the perfect tire for 1.2 petrol. Any upgrade would result in loosing peppiness of the car, albeit to a slight extend. Changed to Yokohama BlueEarth (AE50). Although its too early to judge the performance the ride quality is definitely better compared to the stock goodyear as on the day I took delivery. I am sure AE50 has softer sidewalls and cushions the ride quite a bit compared to the stock Goodyear. Tire noise is also on the lower side. By comparing i could feel Blueearth has softer compound compared to Earth 1. I dont expect it to last as long as the stock Goodyears which gave me 53K.

PS: The BlueEarths I got are made in Japan.
Hey!
Can you elaborate further on the performance of the tyres and how it's wearing? Any experience in the wet?

The Yoko AE50 seems to be the only premium tyre in the stock size.
Old 29th July 2019, 16:22   #302
BHPian

After 55000 kms on stock Apollo Acelere tires, upgraded to Michelin P4ST 195/60 R15. These tires are super silent. Have done about 1000 kms so far and I've had no issues per say. Some steep descents on unpaved roads with loose gravel and nothing to complain about. Stock tires had about 1mm of tread left so didn't get any money for those.
Old 2nd August 2019, 13:34   #303
BHPian

What would be the ideal tyre size for Polo Highline MPI 1.2 on R15 stock alloys if the requirement is to increase ride comfort?
My stock tyres are 185/60 MRF and I feel they are making the ride very bumpy on Mumbai city roads. Michelin XM2 are available in same size and where as 4 ST is not.

Should I keep the stock size 185/60 or consider changing it to some other?. Only requirement is to make the ride smoother over slightly uneven roads.

Please suggest.
Old 2nd August 2019, 14:04   #304
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteFang View Post
What would be the ideal tyre size for Polo Highline MPI 1.2 on R15 stock alloys if the requirement is to increase ride comfort?
Hey WhiteFang, 60 profile tires are good enough for comfort, and probably are not the only cause for the harsh ride. From what I know, pre-facelift Polo's came with a stiffer set of suspensions, which are not to everybody's liking.

I am no expert, but what you may want to consider is trying out a soft rubber set of tires, such as Yokohma DBS. These were pretty good on my GT when I had them.

Last edited by Vik0728 : 2nd August 2019 at 14:06.
Vik0728 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2019, 14:13   #305
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
Hey WhiteFang, 60 profile tires are good enough for comfort, and probably are not the only cause for the harsh ride. From what I know, pre-facelift Polo's came with a stiffer set of suspensions, which are not to everybody's liking.

I am no expert, but what you may want to consider is trying out a soft rubber set of tires, such as Yokohma DBS. These were pretty good on my GT when I had them.
Thank you Vik0728. Mine is 2016 model. The suspension set up is stiff and I think my stock MRF tyres are making it even worse when it comes to sending bad road ripples to the cabin.
The options are less for 185/60 section and from the official site, it seems Yokohama DB is also not available in that size. How about Michelin XM2? Does it serve the purpose?
Old 2nd August 2019, 15:46   #306
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteFang View Post
How about Michelin XM2? Does it serve the purpose?
I guess you are right about MRF's hard compound adding onto an already stiffer suspension setup on your Polo.

Having owned the 2014 GT TDI, all I can say is that I had upgraded the tires to Yokohama 205/55/R15 on stock setup, and the ride had improved quite a bit, although it is a lower profile.

You may just want to check with your neighborhood/friendly tire dealer to swap a used set of tires at the above suggested profile for a good long drive, before purchasing a new set if you are happy with the ride.
Vik0728 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2019, 16:19   #307
BHPian

I have posted this on official TSI review thread (Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review) about up-sizing my 2015MY GT TSI alloys from 15" to 16". I had my doubts on this upgrade and was weighing pros & cons of this as you could see on that thread but now I have made up my mind and I will go ahead with this. Existing tyres still have some life left but stock alloys are in excellent condition.

I have decided on these Momo Massimo. Would love to get some feedback from someone who have used these particular alloys and perhaps guide me the best place to purchase these genuine alloys.

PS: Stock alloys are in excellent condition, how much I can expect in sale considering I will sell these after having done 48-50km? Thanks.

Last edited by BlueEyes : 24th August 2019 at 16:20.
Old 25th August 2019, 00:57   #308
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueEyes View Post
Would love to get some feedback from someone who have used these particular alloys and perhaps guide me the best place to purchase these genuine alloys.

PS: Stock alloys are in excellent condition, how much I can expect in sale considering I will sell these after having done 48-50km? Thanks.
Personally, I would advise you to retain the stock wheels if you have decided against an upsized wheel - tyre setup.

If you do decide to stick to the same size, you can get anywhere from 15k-20k if you sell your existing set.

I sold my set for 18k and the wheels had seen around 30k of driving.
Old 25th August 2019, 12:09   #309
BHPian

Thanks Suhaas.
I know you have switched from 15" to 16", what alloys did you go for? Any pictures if you could post.
Old 25th August 2019, 17:40   #310
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueEyes View Post
Thanks Suhaas.
I know you have switched from 15" to 16", what alloys did you go for? Any pictures if you could post.
I went a size up from 15" to 16" - BBS SR 16" wheels in Himalayan Grey, wearing 205/50 R16" Michelin Pilot Sport 4 ST.

Pictures can be found here: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-...-brakes-5.html

Ride has actually improved slightly. Handling has improved significantly. The car looks better too!
suhaas307 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th September 2019, 09:20   #311
Senior - BHPian

Upgraded my Polo tyres to 195/60/15 Michelin Primacy 4ST. Costed 7K a piece including everything. Knew the offering price was a little costly but did not have the patience to scout around.

My Polo was on its second set of Aceleres which is a jack of all master of none kind of tyre. After around 50K they had worn out significantly, became hard and was creating huge road noise.

I would recommend Primacy only for its excellent ride quality. The road noise is also next to nil. The tyres are worth every penny you pay for these two reasons. I am a very sedate driver so not bothered much about the handling or cornering manners. Braking is way better and handling a notch lower due to higher profile. The tyres looks meatier but for some reason I find my aceleres better in looks department. May be due to their lower profile.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 6th September 2019 at 11:19. Reason: Minor typo
poloman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th September 2019, 08:16   #312
BHPian

I had fit Yokohama S-drives 205/55 R15 on my GT TSI since the beginning. After 4 years and 47k km, it's time to change them. I used P3STs on my Cruze earlier. Liked the low noise, did not like the handling. The S-drives feel great to drive, but the ride is harsher and noisy. Most people here find the same. Between Micheline P3ST/P4ST and the S-drives, I will choose the S-drives for the handling. My car is a driver's car. If passenger comfort was a higher priority, I would have bought some other car.

I think I will fit another set of the Yokohama S-drives, unless I get any good review on Continental MC5. Has anybody experienced both S-drives and MC5, in terms of the tread off between handling and noise? MC5 comes in both 195/60 and 205/55 for my R15 stock alloys.
Old 23rd September 2019, 20:42   #313
BHPian

Urgently looking for a new set of tyres that are low on road noise, high on grip and life. Will run on stock VW alloys. 185/60 R15 is the stock size. Any recommendations?
Old 23rd September 2019, 20:46   #314
anb
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2StrokeJunkie View Post
Urgently looking for a new set of tyres that are low on road noise, high on grip and life. Will run on stock VW alloys. 185/60 R15 is the stock size. Any recommendations?
195/ 60 R15 Michelin Pirmacy 4st will satisfy your requirements perfectly
anb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2019, 13:27   #315

Gave my Polo 1.5 TDI for 60k service today. Odo showing 46k. Requested them to check tyres for a possible replacement.

They informed me that these MRF ZVTV are good to run for another 15k.

Requesting fellow BHPians for comments.

Regards

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks