Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2006, 11:27   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Phew! Finally able to upload images here!

OK so here's the Vanguard I mentioned....(note- dont go by the photos....car was far too gone even wen I took these pics.!)

Note the Standard dealers' badge of the Union Motor Co. (Madras) on the front left, beside the front grille- wich means this car was originally in Madras! It also has a Nellore (AP) workshop sticker on the right front quarterglass, wich means it was moved ther b4 finally ending up here in Vizag.
Old 14th September 2006, 12:25   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Here's a very rare early ('62) Herald mk1 I came across in Vizag (altho its a hyd. regn.) last year....the car's no longer at this place now....'guess it'd been scrapped!
I'd tried to buy it then but the silly owner was asking too much (30k- in this condition!)....the guy who owned it before him had messed around making it into a semi-convertible & thus taken off the side glasses & B-pillars, so the roof'd be easier to take off! Plus sum add-on mods, like those huge side-mirrors, plastic hubcaps (YUCK!!).....
The dash had been mod'ed too but still had the original (Smiths) MPH speedo cum fuel guage & also the metallic silver steering wheel (one of the options available on early heralds, sum had plain grey or black ones w/ white dial speedos)....

Old 14th September 2006, 12:59   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Herez one more herald, a 4-door (mk3) at hyd....this car's been lying at this place for years! It used to be housed in an asbestos roofed shed wich seems to've collapsed/been demolished....owner lives nearby, never wants to sell....nevertheless, the creative grocers there seem to hav found a use for it during the day!

Note the original upholstery/door-pads, dash & hubcaps! Man, wat a pity!

Old 18th September 2006, 12:13   #34
Senior - BHPian

Good work guys
sad to see 'em rusting
hope somebody does something to save some of 'em
Old 7th December 2006, 12:14   #35
Senior - BHPian

Saw this Merc 280 SEL at Palika Parking, Delhi. This is the S-class of that time, which might have been kept so clean without even a small dust. Once it would have been a dream car for many, but now its laying neglected, hence didn't covered the number plate.

This is a Rover MG spooted is a garage at Chennai. Its getting overhauled

Last edited by hanmust : 7th December 2006 at 12:19.
Old 7th December 2006, 21:06   #36
BHPian

Here are some More

A Jonga sent for restoration to garage but now owner has no money to spend. Trying to contact him to know if it is for sale.

A Ford Falcon
Not actually rusting but not cared for & not used for around 10 years.
Its a station wagon with lots of space & so Its becoming a partying place for those drunkards who have no other place.

Here's the interesting part it is said that "Our American Muscle Ford Mustang" shares the same parts of this falcon. I think even the engine (V6).

Heres the sad part Unable to contact the owner.

Willys Station CAr - same as above

Morris Minor - I have taken up this car for restoration.
Old 8th December 2006, 00:01   #37
Senior - BHPian

Where can one see these cars in pune .?? at the guy who has led them to this condition...

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
yea, most are in pune unless mentioned otherwise...3-4 are scrapped already...

theres an artist in germany whos placed loads of classic exotic in hos backyard, open to the elements, and ensured that they cant be restored...its an art display for him! i think some people in pune have similar intentions!
Old 8th December 2006, 12:26   #38
BHPian

That Jonga looks more like a Land Rover to me
Old 8th December 2006, 17:28   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasli View Post
Where can one see these cars in pune .?? at the guy who has led them to this condition...

the falcon and the willys are rotting in the bylanes of kothrud/prabhat road area, the morris somewhere near mhatre bridge last that i remember, and the land rover (obviously not a jonga!) used to belong to my neighbour...i think its the same....!
Old 8th December 2006, 21:16   #40
Team-BHP Support

Is the land rover somewhere in Goa? I can see a lot of Maruti Van's with yellow plates in the background.
Old 9th December 2006, 12:24   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Unknown car at hyd'bad

Hey guys,

Here's sum food for thought!

Ne idea wat car this might be?? 'never recall seeing nething like this b4....!

This was shown to me y'day by my mechanic who lives in the same locality....it seems to be a late 60s car as its got a 1970 regn....

The only parts identifiable in this car r the gearshift, which is from a Herald & the horn-button wich is from an old fiat- tried getting off the latter but was jus then spotted by a lady who happend to be from the owner's family!
I cudnt get much details bout the car from her but she said sumthing like Ferrari, altho I really doubt its one!

'hope to hear ur inputs on this!

Old 9th December 2006, 13:58   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Hey guys,

Here's sum food for thought!
Ne idea wat car this might be?? 'never recall seeing nething like this b4....!
This was shown to me y'day by my mechanic who lives in the same locality....it seems to be a late 60s car as its got a 1970 regn....
The wheels and the door looks from a Padmini! or is it just me!

Edit:...and so does the steering. Are you sure this is not a mixup job done at some garage?

Last edited by Stratos : 9th December 2006 at 14:00.
Old 9th December 2006, 16:31   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

its obviously a backyard project...the wheels might be from the padmini, the hornbutton is, though not the steering wheel...the door is definitely not padmini, though it doesnt look home made either....mk4 amby grille...its a LOT of things put together to create one hell of an ugly car...very short wheelbase, so i doubt its based on an indian car...geez!
Old 9th December 2006, 19:28   #44
BHPian

Sorry

Sorry Guys. looks like I messed up with the links. I had uploaded all photos on one day & saved the links in notepad & posted it the next day. Couldnt check the post as i logged out before the approval of the post.

The First photo is indeed a Landrover which i saw in goa. Its under restoration.

Good news - I found a Landrover in pune today. Great "Original condition, used daily. 4 wheel drive in place. Will post photos soon.

Here are the correct links
The Jonga

The Land rover

Sorry for the inconvenience.
Old 11th December 2006, 16:17   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
its obviously a backyard project...the wheels might be from the padmini, the hornbutton is, though not the steering wheel...the door is definitely not padmini, though it doesnt look home made either....mk4 amby grille...its a LOT of things put together to create one hell of an ugly car...very short wheelbase, so i doubt its based on an indian car...geez!
Uh, looking closely, I suspect the wheels rnt padmini ones either....

hornbutton's of course from a good ol' italian fiat (nee 1100 )...'really wish I cud've plucked tat off but it was fixed too d*mn tight! Infact the wheel felt more like it'd come off!

Karl u sure the grille's from a mk4 amby?? Wat abt those badges tat it once had at the top?......

Also if u look closely, tat ugly flare below the rear end was added on later...plus I now suspect the rear windscreen was taken from an amby...
Well, my best(?) guess- wud be originally sum jap car from the late 60s, going by the rear end?....
Neways, tks for ur inputs guys!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks