Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th June 2008, 18:45   #361
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
While rummaging through my pics I came across these of what appears to be a 1920s Fiat (?) used as the salad bar in a Delhi restaurant ingeniously called Chor Bizaare. Is anybody famliar with it? Attachment 25349
This is a Fiat 508, also known as the 508 Balilla, made between 1932 and 1937. Chor Bizarre is a fantastic place to dine at and situated in Hotel Broadway, on Asaf Ali Road, Delhi. The fare is good and the fare low!!! Broadway also has a quaint bar called Thugs, which is styled on old Bollywood villainy, so you have images of thespians KN Singh, Pran, Prem Chopra and co. looking at you as you sip your drink! I love their company even more at that time!!

Rohit Thakker who owns the Hotel, calls his holding firm, 'Old World Speciality Pvt. Ltd.' Very nice, no? They have other outlets, in the city (Habitat Centre) and outside (including London).

Another tid bit, Hotel Claridges in Delhi, has an old TMB (Tata Mercedes Benz) truck in its restaurant called 'The Dhaba.'

And Karl, last time I was in Poona, I saw a double-decker at the entrance of a restaurant opposite J. Williams & Co., next to the filling station. Any take on that?

Last edited by Prabal : 30th June 2008 at 18:49.
Old 30th June 2008, 19:23   #362
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prabal View Post
And Karl, last time I was in Poona, I saw a double-decker at the entrance of a restaurant opposite J. Williams & Co., next to the filling station. Any take on that?
That's the 11 East Street Cafe, an English themed restaurant replete with Charlie Chaplin, red phone booths, an English style pub and the desert station is housed in the double decker bus.
Old 30th June 2008, 21:03   #363
BHPian

Quote:
That's the 11 East Street Cafe, an English themed restaurant replete with Charlie Chaplin, red phone booths, an English style pub and the desert station is housed in the double decker bus.
Great, next time I'm in town I'll go early and reserve the front seat on the upper deck (if that's possible) and change the route number after every course!
Old 30th June 2008, 23:20   #364
Senior - BHPian

Wow Karl, thanks for the superb DS link. By the way there's a very complete DS in Andheri, Mumbai, belonging to Jameel Hussain, who also used to run the "club Citroen de Bombay" an informal Citroen association. The guy is a complete Citroen nut, and has a goldmine in spares. His DS had participated in the VCCCI rally a few years back, driven by Homi Lord.

There's a green Fiat Balilla similar to the one in the chor bizarre picture, lying in a basement at Pedder Road. The car had seen good times, was restored once, but seems to be neglected for the last few years. Sad.
Old 30th June 2008, 23:53   #365
BHPian

There is a similar themed coffee shop in a nearby town which I caught a glimpse of when I was passing by. Its called the "Pontiac Coffee Shop". There were a couple of classics inside. I will go there soon and click a few pictures.
Old 1st July 2008, 08:56   #366
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSelect View Post
By the way there's a very complete DS in Andheri, Mumbai, belonging to Jameel Hussain, who also used to run the "club Citroen de Bombay" an informal Citroen association.

There's a green Fiat Balilla similar to the one in the chor bizarre picture, lying in a basement at Pedder Road.
Ive heard about this gent and his Citroens, never got down to tracing him out. Do you know him personally? Perhaps we can have a look sometime.

Regarding the Balilla, get us some pictures.
Old 1st July 2008, 12:23   #367
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prabal View Post
Rohit Thakker who owns the Hotel, calls his holding firm, 'Old World Speciality Pvt. Ltd.' Very nice, no?
Correction: That should have been 'Old World Hospitality ...';my apologies.
Old 1st July 2008, 15:24   #368
BHPian

Just saw the DS link, very nice Karlosdeville. Thanks !!

BTW, I remember seeing a DS at a rally in Bombay about 10 years ago. It was not in very good shape. The colour was a light metallic brown, if I remember right. Will try to look for pictures.
Old 1st July 2008, 23:21   #369
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ive heard about this gent and his Citroens, never got down to tracing him out. Do you know him personally? Perhaps we can have a look sometime.

Regarding the Balilla, get us some pictures.
Yes, I've met Jameel once when I piled on to his place and chatted him up ! He's an out and out Citroen buff, and his place is a Citroen wonderland of sorts. However he seemed to be getting a bit old, and I don't know how much of it is still in order. However, it would definitely be worth making a trip, do let me know when you're coming !
As for the Balilla, I'll take pictures, only if my bird brain remembers to carry the camera at all times - God knows how many scoops I've missed
Old 1st July 2008, 23:57   #370
BHPian

there is also a restaurant in delhi which sells rolls on a merc !! , the DS is one of my fav cars , a technological masterpeice , remember seeing it in TG .
Old 2nd July 2008, 01:17   #371
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyline gtr r34 View Post
there is also a restaurant in delhi which sells rolls on a merc !! , the DS is one of my fav cars , a technological masterpeice , remember seeing it in TG .
A Rolls on a Merc! Just because BMW and VW shared time with her, MB shouldn't have to pay!

Seriously though, skyline gtr r34, which is this place?
Old 9th July 2008, 18:06   #372
BHPian

Both the pics are from goa

Name:  mercedes bus.jpg
Views: 6039
Size:  97.5 KB Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-mercedes-1961.jpg
Old 9th July 2008, 19:54   #373
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zibby View Post
Both the pics are from goa
That Mercedes bus is lovely! Could you get us more photos? Im also posting it in the commercial vehicles thread.
Old 9th July 2008, 20:23   #374
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Karl - there is a similar TMB bus in Nasik. I will get the photos shortly.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 9th July 2008, 20:26   #375
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Karl - there is a similar TMB bus in Nasik. I will get the photos shortly.
Get me the bus itself

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks