Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2009, 15:14   #481
Senior - BHPian

Oops. Morris not my field..as yet!!
Sorry ANIKET!!

WHatever the engine, she looks great. And i love the term. "Cheese grater" grille
Old 18th June 2009, 10:27   #482
Distinguished - BHPian

GTO spotted this MGB (?) convertible ripping around on Marine Drive one early morning.

Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-01.jpg
Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-002.jpg
Old 18th June 2009, 21:12   #483
Senior - BHPian

spotted this old Pontiac today near DND, Delhi, which one could it be?
Attached Thumbnails
Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-dsc00491.jpg  

Old 19th June 2009, 12:54   #484
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
spotted this old Pontiac today near DND, Delhi, which one could it be?
Its a 65 GTO convertible. Beautiful car, must be part of someone's collection in Delhi. Here's a photo for comparison:
Attached Thumbnails
Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-59-gto.jpg  

Old 20th June 2009, 12:29   #485
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
GTO spotted this MGB (?) convertible ripping around on Marine Drive one early morning.
Here are pictures of the same car at a event in Bombay, 2007.
Attached Thumbnails
Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-mg03.jpg  

Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-mg04.jpg  

Old 21st June 2009, 10:36   #486
Senior - BHPian

Karl. What a beauty. My all time favourite british roadster, the B was and is.

In 2000 there was a international event called the "Jewel of India". Six or eight cars came from UK and it was a tour from Delhi thru Rajasthan, Bombay hyderabad ending I think at Chennai from where the cars were to be shipped out.

There were three Bentleys (WO) in BRG, what a sight and sound they were. Along with them was an Alfa, a Volvo Amazon a MGB and some other cars.

When they reached Hyd some of the cars were in a mess. The Bentleys were fine that Alfa had been totalled, the B had a burnt its clutch and the Volvo had broken its shock mounts and coils at the rear.

I offered to fix both and they let me do them.We put in a new clutch plate from an Amby on the B and got to drive it around for a day. what a day it was and what a sweet car it was can never get over it.

it was rally tuned with big carbs reworked head and gearing and it could move. i still have the "jewel of India" plates these cars had on.
Old 21st June 2009, 13:35   #487
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Karl. What a beauty. My all time favourite british roadster, the B was and is.

In 2000 there was a international event called the "Jewel of India". Six or eight cars came from UK and it was a tour from Delhi thru Rajasthan, Bombay hyderabad ending I think at Chennai from where the cars were to be shipped out.

There were three Bentleys (WO) in BRG, what a sight and sound they were. Along with them was an Alfa, a Volvo Amazon a MGB and some other cars.

When they reached Hyd some of the cars were in a mess. The Bentleys were fine that Alfa had been totalled, the B had a burnt its clutch and the Volvo had broken its shock mounts and coils at the rear.

I offered to fix both and they let me do them.We put in a new clutch plate from an Amby on the B and got to drive it around for a day. what a day it was and what a sweet car it was can never get over it.

it was rally tuned with big carbs reworked head and gearing and it could move. i still have the "jewel of India" plates these cars had on.
That Jewel of India rally started from Gateway of India, Mumbai. They also had Indian participation, there was a Ford Mercury from Pune belonging to the Ford dealer of that time.
I had given the Alfa guy the contact to the owner of the Chennai Alfa. But this Alfa never made it, it failed just near Mumbai. They had fitted larger tyres which were interfering with the body. Have pictures, have to search.
Old 21st June 2009, 16:18   #488
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
That Jewel of India rally started from Gateway of India, Mumbai. They also had Indian participation, there was a Ford Mercury from Pune belonging to the Ford dealer of that time.
I had given the Alfa guy the contact to the owner of the Chennai Alfa. But this Alfa never made it, it failed just near Mumbai. They had fitted larger tyres which were interfering with the body. Have pictures, have to search.
One can never forget those bentleys, what patina and the way they were driven, hard.
Old 4th July 2009, 18:32   #489
Distinguished - BHPian

A pretty convertible Ford Popular/Anglia (?) can be found here, as a prop in a fashion photoshoot. Some more too can be found on the page.

Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-0000.jpg

Can someone identify this one?

Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-1111.jpg

Flickr Photo Download: On the bumper, Bangalore
Old 4th July 2009, 19:34   #490
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A pretty convertible Ford Popular/Anglia (?) can be found here, as a prop in a fashion photoshoot. Some more too can be found on the page.
This is probably an Anglia, I had received a set of pics when it was for sale. Now with a collector in Bangalore, connected to a resort.
The blue & white car is a convertible Austin similar to Devon, it is a rare car in India, forgot its correct name, originally from Bombay.
Old 5th July 2009, 09:41   #491
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 154420

Can someone identify this one?

Attachment 154421

Flickr Photo Download: On the bumper, Bangalore
Karl I must say that you have a good eye for beauties of both types (mechanical and other wise) you chose two of the best pictures from the lot.
Old 5th July 2009, 23:51   #492
Distinguished - BHPian

I spot this very cool looking Beemer in Pune often. It was offered to me for sale a couple of years back when in faded red colour but otherwise intact for 50k - in retrospect a very poor decision to let it go!

Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-11.jpg

Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-12.jpg
Old 6th July 2009, 00:23   #493
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I spot this very cool looking Beemer in Pune often. It was offered to me for sale a couple of years back when in faded red colour but otherwise intact for 50k - in retrospect a very poor decision to let it go!
Indeed, and more so as she appears to be a coupe.
Would have looked lovely next to your bug, and would pull more birds and their droppings than a Padmini
Old 6th July 2009, 00:46   #494
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
Karl I must say that you have a good eye for beauties of both types (mechanical and other wise) you chose two of the best pictures from the lot.
When Karl googles, he types in "Indian Vintage Car Models". And lo behold other beauties pop up too. And he managed to find both in one pic! And someone watching him will find his endeavour perfectly innocent
Old 6th July 2009, 06:45   #495
Team-BHP Support

This was advertised for 75k in Auto India in 2004. I wish I had bought it. Imagine getting a 2002ti engine into it. That car is a 1502

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks