Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2007, 14:27   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
and yes, that pontiac engine is something i havent seen before...very strange...and dipping the whole damn thing in signal red, and monogrming it as your own design doesnt add to it in any way!
Karlos, thats for Sure not the original engine that came with the car!!!
I've seen some americans with 4 cyls, but not like this.
seems its a marine engine put in . Everything is possible in delhi.
also the rear suspension seems altered/adapted, very very few americans cars came with such swing arms! Delhi keep it up!
Old 9th June 2007, 02:43   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
and yes, that pontiac engine is something i havent seen before...very strange...and dipping the whole damn thing in signal red, and monogrming it as your own design doesnt add to it in any way!
I agree with karlos absolutely.
What thaaa? This is the most insane piece of work ive ever seen and what im more interested to see is how on earth is this engine going to work.
Secondly the merc 170V allegedly the "Chopped" merc looks more like a replicar to me. Which Idiot would even try to chop a four door to convert it to a coupe. The rims are very Kitschy and add to the replicar look.
Seems this is a Chop Shop garage full of strange vehicles and strange clients viz a chopped merc 170V and a Pontiac with a chopped engine. Who would believe this?!
Also im intrigued as to which pontiac is the yellow one. A GTO?....Nope A Tempest...Nope....A Firebird...NoWay!! the closest it looks to, is the Catalina but I really cant tell. There is also a Sunbeam standing to the right of the owner's old grey and green Owner's Pontiac.
Ishan, what were you saying about the three buicks for sale......!!!

Last edited by V-16 : 9th June 2007 at 02:45.
Old 11th June 2007, 12:13   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby05 View Post
also the rear suspension seems altered/adapted, very very few americans cars came with such swing arms!
Maybe its been taken from a Herald......although that'd be the last kind of rear suspension our junta would prefer!
And yeah, equally puzzled about the engine......what's the point of badging it with your own name instead of the original....?!
Old 11th June 2007, 12:50   #49
BHPian

i cant take it! too much to handle.
man this thread is turning out to be vintage haevin - man drool!

the deville is in a sad condition - restoring that will be a pain.

Last edited by xinome : 11th June 2007 at 12:52.
Old 11th June 2007, 13:43   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Maybe its been taken from a Herald......although that'd be the last kind of rear suspension our junta would prefer!

i seriously doubt whether the herald bits would take the size and weight of a car like this...
Old 12th June 2007, 11:59   #51
BHPian

wow, what pix and great thread, Ishan..very painstakingly restored cars.great job.
Old 12th June 2007, 14:20   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Also im intrigued as to which pontiac is the yellow one. A GTO?....Nope A Tempest...Nope....A Firebird...NoWay!! the closest it looks to, is the Catalina but I really cant tell. There is also a Sunbeam standing to the right of the owner's old grey and green Owner's Pontiac.
Ishan, what were you saying about the three buicks for sale......!!!
I hate to admit this but when im wrong, im wrong. After much soul (and manual) searching i found out that it is indeed a Pontiac Tempest Four cyl option.

Quote:
Karlos, thats for Sure not the original engine that came with the car!!!
I've seen some americans with 4 cyls, but not like this.
seems its a marine engine put in . Everything is possible in delhi.
also the rear suspension seems altered/adapted, very very few americans cars came with such swing arms! Delhi keep it up!
I thought so too scooby but i confirmed, this is an origional four cyl engine that came with the tempest and the parts that fit into it are exactly what fit into a V-8.
Re the rear suspension, its original too like the Herald... wierd!! but its all original.

Last edited by V-16 : 12th June 2007 at 14:21. Reason: add
Old 12th June 2007, 15:03   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Re the rear suspension, its original too like the Herald... wierd!! but its all original.
wow...isnt it amazing how everyday these cars never fail to teach us something new...you can just never be so sure now can you?
Old 12th June 2007, 16:00   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I hate to admit this but when im wrong, im wrong. After much soul (and manual) searching i found out that it is indeed a Pontiac Tempest Four cyl option.

I thought so too scooby but i confirmed, this is an origional four cyl engine that came with the tempest and the parts that fit into it are exactly what fit into a V-8.
Sorry Sir .
The dipped paint,the starter etc, Made me assume it is a marine engine. maybe if some parts of the engine are cleaned up, chromed. itll look better.
the 4cyls americans i have seen are the late '70s. this seems a early '70s, so stepping stone time!!
assumption is the mother of all -------.
Old 12th June 2007, 16:08   #55
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The dipped paint,the starter etc, Made me assume it is a marine engine.
When me, Karl and Ram had checked out the Mustang in Pune it was dipped in Blue paint and the Chevelle V8 we saw at the same garage was dipped in Orange like this one. Ram mentioned that there was some convention behind the engine paint which I dont recall right now. Mebbe you guys are aware of this?
Old 13th June 2007, 11:41   #56
BHPian

the classic car forum are great, any news on any for sale and prices, i would love to buy a mustang
Old 13th June 2007, 18:59   #57
BHPian

Awesome pics of the MB 120S Iraghava.. it looks like as if it were new..Awesome job restoring it..at least the looks of it.. If it is really a chop job..the guy has done a splendid job at it...the lines just merge...

V16 - i have seen wire wheels on old mercs before...with an original center lug nut that is...

Iraghava - are you able to get some more details on the merc??

awesome find there...please oblige us with some more details on it...

Thanks heaps!!
Old 13th June 2007, 19:14   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R32_GTR View Post
Awesome pics of the MB 120S Iraghava.. it looks like as if it were new..Awesome job restoring it..at least the looks of it.. If it is really a chop job..the guy has done a splendid job at it...the lines just merge...
V16 - i have seen wire wheels on old mercs before...with an original center lug nut that is...
firstly, shes a 170, not 120...

agreed, the bodywork has been done very well...still dont agree that this is the correct candidate for it though...
Wire wheels never came on the 170 series, and even though wires are period, these particular ones just dont fit the bill...obvious modern day repros...infact ive seen them on many classics in delhi, so they might even be local, or easily available...
Old 13th June 2007, 20:59   #59
Senior - BHPian

you're right karlos the 170 was meant to be a frugal non fussy car..none of the books that i have on the mercedes 170 show any reference or options for wired wheels..though while my 180D was being restored there was another 170 in the same garage in bandra which also had two doors also strangely the boot seemed to have been welded shut. now i am not sure whether that is original in the 170 either. But there are a lot of things off in this particular 170..definately not my cup of tea.
Old 13th June 2007, 21:09   #60
BHPian

Quote:
firstly, shes a 170, not 120...

agreed, the bodywork has been done very well...still dont agree that this is the correct candidate for it though...
Wire wheels never came on the 170 series, and even though wires are period, these particular ones just dont fit the bill...obvious modern day repros...infact ive seen them on many classics in delhi, so they might even be local, or easily available...
My bad karlos.. but retro or not...the car looks awesome for its age..

trust me i was or probably am still a NOVICE at this coz i have loved hi-tech Jap cars too much.. but a certain little so and so has got me hooked to this...

There are some real issues with restoring cars in India...

1: the resourses in most cases are either scarce or null (human / technical)
2: sourcing parts is another issue (again...extremely difficult)
3: Financing a project requires a very deep pocket - Dads / moms / and in some genuine cases the young / old enthusiast himself)
4: our rigid import laws aren't any help either..

I am not being a sceptic or being a pesimist here...

to bring a car back to life is onething and bringing it back to its original form is something else...

please understand that this is my outlook on thinks and so i appreciated this guys efforts...even though he resorts to some Frankenstein ideas...(the wire wheels for one)..but it does the job..and causes envy among some..

At the end of it all...i am hooked to the whole restoration idea..and would love to learn a lot more from you guyso..

hope you understand

Last edited by R32_GTR : 13th June 2007 at 21:11.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks