Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2007, 00:29   #61
BHPian

Restoring Cars in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by R32_GTR View Post
My bad karlos.. but retro or not...the car looks awesome for its age..

trust me i was or probably am still a NOVICE at this coz i have loved hi-tech Jap cars too much.. but a certain little so and so has got me hooked to this...

There are some real issues with restoring cars in India...

1: the resourses in most cases are either scarce or null (human / technical)
2: sourcing parts is another issue (again...extremely difficult)
3: Financing a project requires a very deep pocket - Dads / moms / and in some genuine cases the young / old enthusiast himself)
4: our rigid import laws aren't any help either..

I am not being a sceptic or being a pesimist here...

to bring a car back to life is onething and bringing it back to its original form is something else...

please understand that this is my outlook on thinks and so i appreciated this guys efforts...even though he resorts to some Frankenstein ideas...(the wire wheels for one)..but it does the job..and causes envy among some..

At the end of it all...i am hooked to the whole restoration idea..and would love to learn a lot more from you guyso..

hope you understand
Hi R32 GTR

It is difficult to restore a vintage car but not very - even in India . If instead of outsourcing the job to a garage , you can be personally involved in your project - then the best way would be to hire a denter and his assistant ( they normally bring their own tools along ) get an oxy-acetylene set and you are ready to start , I presume this system will work better in a place like Lucknow where space is not at a premium than in Mumbai and the neighbours are more understanding when it comes to the din, but then you can always hire space just enough to park the car and let the denter work there. Once the frame is off and all the parts are stripped out you can commence the repair from the chassis upward . Same time get a mechanic to work on the suspension , differential , shock absorbers etc . Even the most demanding vintage engine can be repaired in India . Depending upon the car you intend to repair parts are not difficult to come by once you go out and start looking for them . Each town still has it's share of old auto parts shops which have some original parts still lying around, start hoarding them irrespective of the fact that you may not need them . The engine and the mechanicals are easier to repair than a new car because most of the cars have systems which are very basic or if not quite easy to figure out .
If you do get stuck for a part (in most cases it will be one of the gauges)you can always import it or cart it back from Australia. Its not so costly.
(By the way I could source the cross of a 1967 Mustang & the distributor for an 8 cylinder engine in Lucknow)

I am a newbie on the team bhp as I learnt of it too late, but I started off in this fashion and I can assure if you can get personally involved you should have the car restored in 4 to 6 months. But then I have the time to work with my denter and the mechanic to guide them as we work on a project. By the way I only restore my own cars.

And do source the Workshop Manual for the car you intend restoring .
Old 14th June 2007, 09:58   #62
BHPian

how do you get the Workshop Manual on new cars in india? ie scorpio?
Old 14th June 2007, 12:31   #63
BHPian

Vintage car manuals can be sourced from Faxon's or Autolit. For FIAT -Casagrande in Switzerland can send the manual to India. I guess for a Scorpio manual and part list the best bet would be to ask Mahindra .
Old 14th June 2007, 13:04   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageman View Post
Hi R32 GTR

It is difficult to restore a vintage car but not very - even in India . If instead of outsourcing the job to a garage , you can be personally involved in your project - then the best way would be to hire a denter and his assistant ( they normally bring their own tools along ) get an.... Even the most demanding vintage engine can be repaired in India . Depending upon the car you intend to repair parts are not difficult to come by once you go out and start looking for them . By the way I only restore my own cars.

And do source the Workshop Manual for the car you intend restoring .
Hi Vintageman. I agree with what you have to say fully but as you know, time and space are two things at a premium in bigger cities. Space being the bigger one of the two. Still getting involved in your own project is the only way you can get a restoration up to your satisfaction. Al of us inthis forum would like to see your collection and please give us tips on restoration. This would be really appreciated by all our members who are vintage and classic car enthusiasts. And yes, sorry for saying this in the end of my post but Welcome to Team-Bhp. Enjoy your stay here.
Old 14th June 2007, 16:13   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R32_GTR View Post
Iraghava - are you able to get some more details on the merc??

awesome find there...please oblige us with some more details on it...
What details do you want? I have complete access there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
infact ive seen them on many classics in delhi, so they might even be local, or easily available...
If I am not worng they are made by Wheels India which is why you see them on my cars. I will confirm about this particular car and revert back to you later.

Guys, I have another HUGE lot of pictures of some very, very interesting cars but sadly no tim to post them. But I should be able to do it within the next 2-3 days and there are some real beauties worth waiting for!

P.S. Karlos Singh Fiat Wale, there are some nice treats for you too!!!!
Old 14th June 2007, 21:31   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Guys, I have another HUGE lot of pictures of some very, very interesting cars but sadly no tim to post them.
P.S. Karlos Singh Fiat Wale, there are some nice treats for you too!!!!
then make time goddammit! im sure we can spot something strange once more and get the creative juices flowing...
Old 15th June 2007, 16:00   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Hi Vintageman. I agree with what you have to say fully but as you know, time and space are two things at a premium in bigger cities. Space being the bigger one of the two. Still getting involved in your own project is the only way you can get a restoration up to your satisfaction. Al of us inthis forum would like to see your collection and please give us tips on restoration. This would be really appreciated by all our members who are vintage and classic car enthusiasts. And yes, sorry for saying this in the end of my post but Welcome to Team-Bhp. Enjoy your stay here.
Thanks for the welcome , my fault that I did not introduce my self. Will post the photographs when I graduate from being a newbie.
Presently I am restoring a 1934 Plymouth PE - lovely car. I try to stick to the original specs and most of the time I can.
I will add my two bits to the extensive information available on the forum and to the input from experts like karlos & stanher . For me restoration is a labour of love. The technical specs are looked after by my younger brother , who I am trying to get hooked onto team bhp.
Old 16th June 2007, 00:46   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Presently I am restoring a 1934 Plymouth PE - lovely car. I try to stick to the original specs and most of the time I can.
For me restoration is a labour of love.
Welcome to the family my friend.
Wow a Plymouth PE!. Thats a great car. Very majestic looking, in all its versions. Which one are you restoring; a coupe, a convertible or the coupe with the rumble seat? Or is it like this, a four door sedan?

1934 PLYMOUTH PE Four Door Sedan

All the best with the restoration. We are waiting for the pics whenever you are able to post.
Old 16th June 2007, 10:36   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Vintage car manuals can be sourced from Faxon's or Autolit. For FIAT -Casagrande in Switzerland can send the manual to India. I guess for a Scorpio manual and part list the best bet would be to ask Mahindra .
tried emailing mahindra,,the people on the other side of the computer have no idea and kept telling me its onlne,,but that is the brichure,,i want the service manual
Old 16th June 2007, 16:46   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogermann View Post
tried emailing mahindra,,the people on the other side of the computer have no idea and kept telling me its onlne,,but that is the brichure,,i want the service manual

contact dhabhar.behram@mahindra.com

give him reference of Karl.
Old 17th June 2007, 02:12   #71
BHPian

Plymouth PE

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Welcome to the family my friend.
Wow a Plymouth PE!. Thats a great car. Very majestic looking, in all its versions. Which one are you restoring; a coupe, a convertible or the coupe with the rumble seat? Or is it like this, a four door sedan?

1934 PLYMOUTH PE Four Door Sedan

All the best with the restoration. We are waiting for the pics whenever you are able to post.
The car I am restoring is a four door sedan with wire wheels , double side mounts and a free wheeling transmission. I have the white walls from Coker's in place for this car.
Old 17th June 2007, 05:35   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The car I am restoring is a four door sedan with wire wheels , double side mounts and a free wheeling transmission. I have the white walls from Coker's in place for this car.
If you mean twin stepneys on either side by double side mounts and also the wire wheels, then they might've have been an extra option, as in 1934, the PE came with steel discs as shown in the pic. I have yet to learn about the double stepneys and wire wheels in a PE in 34. A far as i know, they only came with standard steel (I think) discs in 33 and 34.With wire wheels as standard in 34 only the touring version that too made under the Holden badge was made in Australia.
I have an interseting fact about the 1934 PE
A unique, one year only, feature on these cars was a front window frame that had a vent window. When the vent window was closed the whole frame, vent window included, could be rolled down. When the vent window was open only the main window glass rolled down. This was later discontinued for want of cost cutting and stripping down cars.
It would be interesting to have a look at your car which has rare features. Can you post some pics please?
Old 23rd June 2007, 02:07   #73
Senior - BHPian

Well with the help of a close friend I got to goto a fabulous garage and saw some truly spectacular cars there. Here are some pictures for you people:

Nash Metropolitan

Mazda RX-3

"THE" Mini Cooper

Fiat

VW Beetle

And Ladies & gentleman a real rarity! A BMW Izetta!

Notice how the steering is linked to the door & the handbrake is just infront of the driver while the gear lever is by the right fender.

More pictures coming soon...
Old 23rd June 2007, 02:32   #74
BHPian

Beautiful Cars, Ishan!.... The Isetta is a real treat to see in person. You really don't realize how small they are till you are standing right beside them.

Loved the authentic Mini (With some very large speakers!) as well as the Mazda.

P.S. You were'nt here on a little scouting mission, were you ?
Old 23rd June 2007, 04:11   #75
Senior - BHPian

Opel Manta, a small story for those who don't know - Rajeev Khanna had bought a Group B Manta from Africa after the Safari Rally & used it in the Himalayan Rally in it's heydays when we had renowned international teams & drivers coming in to compete in it.

'58 Cadillac

Buick Eight - Has been in the owner's family from day one, used to be his father's car

Don't remember the name of this one, sorry!

Riley I believe

Another Buick I believe

Buick

Guys a few names might be wrong here so please feel free to correct me. Enjoy!

And more pictures coming tomorrow!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks