Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2007, 13:39   #1
BHPian

Classic Cars available for purchase

Have been searching high and low and have realized that it is a difficult task to get a guideline onto the pricing of classics. On thinking hard on whether to start a new thread related to this I felt that the sharing of information that might not be of use to you might be of use to fellow members. A classic that is being sold at a particular price might be totally unaffordable to me but someone else might find it an easy buy.

Essentially to cut a long story short I would be posting details of classics that I have stumbled upon in the recent past, which are for sale and relevant details I have gathered on them. I would urge our fellow members to do the same here for the benefit of others. This could be done upon a period of time.
In lieu of a disclaimer, I have only got to say that there is no interest commercially for me, and I am just passing on information to others who could contact check directly with the contacts, if details posted.

1948 Austin A40 - Smooth running

Had contacted the advertiser today 31.07.07 to find out if the car is still up for sale and got further information that it is a single owner car and the quote he gave me on the phone was a whopping 3lakhs.

The other car I got info about is a 1983 Merc LHD, which appeared in The Hindu classifieds, CHENNAI, on Sunday @ around 73k or so, guess it was scrap rate asked for. Wonder if it could be used as a donor car or so. Contact details should be available with Chennaiites all they need to do is scan the Sunday (29th July 2007) classifieds and post teh full info here if possible.

@mods: please check if this is alright to be posted. If not, please do as you please.

Last edited by suren181 : 31st July 2007 at 13:46.
suren181 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2007, 10:09   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Its a great idea, but practically I dont know how helpfull it would be. An asking price is always very different from the price the car is finally sold for. I always believe that the price for a vitnage/classic in the market depends on the condition of the buyer and the seller, and has very little to do with the car itself. But I suppose it would make an interesting read.
karlosdeville is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th August 2007, 01:25   #3
Senior - BHPian

yeah i agree with karlos. the asking price is not nessicarily the price that the car gets sold for. the owners generally ask the sky but the car gets sold for earth prices. like there is a ad to sell a camaro 68 conv in the delhi paper the guy is asking for 30lacs but the car would be sold for less depending on its condition. the best way to go about the cars is to have a look at it. depending on the amount of work involved negotiate a price
Old 6th August 2007, 22:39   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Mr. Suren, I must say this thread was one you'd created aptly!
'was wondering where to post this news....!

Here's a 1957 (going by the rim/s) Fiat 1100 elegant aka 'centrelight fiat' just brought in to a local scrapyard near Suraj talkies (Yakutpura) here in hyd. today.....my mech. saw it being towed on the way & notified me, rightly guessing where it was being taken...so sure enough we found it at this place in queue with the cars (mostly fiats!) that are to be scrapped.....I recently rescued my delight from here too btw!

However, we were told that this car is up for sale if anyone's interested, failing which the guy who bought it would ultimately have it scrapped!
He's told us that he'll meet us tomorrow & we could then check out the car in more detail (it was locked so could only check it out from outside) & talk about the price....
Now although I did make the first call to Suren who's the only classic enthusiast in HYd. I know looking for a classic, I'm making this public just in case, as I'd be sorry to see this car scrapped!
(Sorry for the delay in uploading the images Mr. Suren but having trouble with my net! Trying to post all pics. I took of the car too...)

Although do be warned, it wouldnt come dirt cheap, maybe just reasonable (between 20-25k), based on my recent personal experience...what's happening here nowadays is that these scrapguys dont mind picking up good fiats for even 17-18k, as they are able to make a good profit selling the parts viz. engine/gearbox/diff. to Bombay where I'm told they are much in demand....so a car in this condition would've been bought pretty much in that price range.
And from what I can see, its quite decent & basically needing a rolling restoration needing mainly many of the original cosmetic bits...but firstly need a new battery, which is why they'd towed it in.....

Incidentally, if saved in time, this car would also be welcome for the DECHAA vintage/classic rally here on 15th aug.!

Last edited by Stanher : 6th August 2007 at 22:48.
Old 6th August 2007, 22:58   #5
BHPian

57 Fiat worth salvaging

Karlos, isn't this '57 in decent condition and worth salvaging. The Bodyline looks clean and surely restorable?
Old 6th August 2007, 23:09   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Oh I agree. Now loan me 30K so I can go buy it.
Old 6th August 2007, 23:21   #7
Senior - BHPian

awesome find buddy.
after looking at the car, i feel like buying this one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Oh I agree. Now loan me 30K so I can go buy it.
I wonder if the car be bought and restored for 30k something and can be used as a week-end getaway car with out the car being stalled in no-mans land.
Quote:
Incidentally, if saved in time, this car would
Incidentally this would be nth car you are going to save from the clutches of scrap guys!!!

Last edited by kkr2k2 : 6th August 2007 at 23:23.
Old 7th August 2007, 00:12   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkr2k2 View Post
awesome find buddy.
after looking at the car, i feel like buying this one.
I wonder if the car be bought and restored for 30k something and can be used as a week-end getaway car with out the car being stalled in no-mans land.
I certainly think its possible with a fiat 1100!

I'm sure even our fiat guru karlos would agree, eh?

Quote:
Incidentally this would be nth car you are going to save from the clutches of scrap guys!!!
Uh, nope actually this would be the 3rd, the first one being a rare Standard Herald Mk3 Companion, a short-lived estate version of the 4-door Herald, BACK IN 2001...2nd one, as u know, a delight for myself!
'wish I could've saved more Heralds this way though!
Old 7th August 2007, 00:32   #9

hey nice find...now restore it to the status she deserves....
Old 7th August 2007, 00:52   #10
Senior - BHPian

hope someone save the car from the scrappers. it would be a shame to let the car go at that price. i agree with cyrus completely bring her back to glory days
Old 7th August 2007, 00:58   #11
BHPian

Are you serious Karlos bhai? You mean, now you are even ready to go all the way to Hyderabad for salvage operations of an ailing FIAT. Hats off to you ITALIANO!
Old 7th August 2007, 00:59   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CYRUS43 View Post
hey nice find...now restore it to the status she deserves....
Uh, thanks although this isnt really for me!
Old 7th August 2007, 01:05   #13
Senior - BHPian

stanher do u know of any heralds for sale, my dad used to own one two door when in coll. would like to add one to my collection
Old 7th August 2007, 08:33   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Nope sorry Speedy, none that I knopw of at the moment.....looking for another one myself, although a non-runner to use as a parts car!
Nice to hear that there was a Herald in your family too.....how I wish my dad had one too!
Any pics. left of your dad's old car??
Old 7th August 2007, 08:35   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by President View Post
Are you serious Karlos bhai? You mean, now you are even ready to go all the way to Hyderabad for salvage operations of an ailing FIAT. Hats off to you ITALIANO!
Nah, relax....I think he was just being ironic here!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks