Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2008, 11:34   #466
BHPian

Thanks for the compliments DKG; I've had a huge amount of fun collecting information about these cars over the years. Luckily production run was only 727; I can't imagine doing it for say all 7,000+ Silver Ghosts!

RR historians are lucky in that the company archives are so terrific, and held so well by the RR Enthusiasts Club in England. There are also lots of records (and photos) from some of the ENglish coachbuilders.

I'm not sure that these sorts of records exist for many other pre-war and early post-war marques.

But, all that said I'd be happy to collaborate with any publishing deal.

I hope that there are guys around in India who know more about these Phantom IIIs - I'd love to hear about them, even off this list.
Old 10th July 2008, 13:19   #467
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Well lets put it this way - AP 10 D 8044 was positively parked at Mallicks place for a long time. And yes, current owners are the Shahs.
Here is AP 10 D 8044 at Secunderabad with my cousins.

Classic Rolls Royces in India-2.jpg

Classic Rolls Royces in India-3.jpg

Classic Rolls Royces in India-4.jpg

Also this Rolls was apparently standing next to it. Unfortunately no more details.

Classic Rolls Royces in India-1.jpg
karlosdeville is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2008, 13:25   #468
BHPian

Steve, here is a cutting from the Delhi Statesman newspaper from 1970, at this time Raj Seth and the late Nandi Nagpal owned 3AX201 and they drove to Delhi airport to meet Lord Montague for his visit. Raj remembers the car was in pretty good condition at that time. When they sold the car in the early 70s it was a sound running car.

Seeing the car's condition now just emphasises the critical need to store these cars in proper conditions in India. If owners can't, and just leave them outside in the elements (especially the monsoon) then they shouldn't own the car. After all each owner is merely a temporary custodian.
Classic Rolls Royces in India-3ax201-montaque-delhi.jpg
Julian UK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2008, 13:41   #469
Distinguished - BHPian

xoticars has this photo of what appears to be the same car. Is it too currently in the Indore collection?
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Rolls Royces in India-rolls08.jpg  

Old 10th July 2008, 14:56   #470
BHPian

Quote:
Here is AP 10 D 8044 at Secunderabad with my cousins.

Also this Rolls was apparently standing next to it. Unfortunately no more details.

Which I think is the same 20/25 as this with spare wheel removed, vin unknown yet.
Classic Rolls Royces in India-2025-rm-1.jpg
Old 10th July 2008, 16:38   #471
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian UK View Post
Which I think is the same 20/25 as this with spare wheel removed, vin unknown yet.
Very likely, it does add up. Current whereabouts?
Old 10th July 2008, 16:52   #472
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
When they sold the car in the early 70s it was a sound running car.
Now isn't that a disgrace Julian. That a car that survived till 1970 in that condition to be left in the open to deteriorate. So many magnificent cars were left to rot like that in India or sold to the breakers as scrap.

Hyderabad has sadly seen many cars go to rot like this. One such breaker claimed taking the axe to 14 RR's. A picture of one such car still hangs in his shop.
Old 10th July 2008, 16:59   #473
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Hyderabad has sadly seen many cars go to rot like this. One such breaker claimed taking the axe to 14 RR's. A picture of one such car still hangs in his shop.
Make sure you have a copy of that photo before it too is lost! If he doesn't comply sneak a shot with your mobile phone.
Old 10th July 2008, 17:07   #474
BHPian

Quote:
Very likely, it does add up. Current whereabouts?
I was hoping you could tell me
I will ask its previous owner when he gets back from his trip.
Here is another photo of the 25/30 AP10D8044 in its previous colour scheme he also sent me.
Classic Rolls Royces in India-2025-d.jpg
Old 10th July 2008, 22:36   #475
Distinguished - BHPian

These are from a book I have, 1001 images of cars by Jerome Bureau.

1926 Phantom 1. I assume it is shot in India, with possibly a Madras regn.

Classic Rolls Royces in India-01.jpg

1924 Silver ghost. ORM 437, possibly Mayurbhanj Vijay Mallya car now MFA 3474. Unfortunately I only have front pics of that car, but it looks the same to me.

Classic Rolls Royces in India-02.jpg

Classic Rolls Royces in India-rolls01.jpg

Found this in "Rolls Royce" by John Heilig and Reg Abbiss.

Classic Rolls Royces in India-03.jpg

It appears to be this same car without wheel covers.

Classic Rolls Royces in India-hathoura.jpg
Old 10th July 2008, 23:52   #476
BHPian

Quote:
These are from a book I have, 1001 images of cars by Jerome Bureau.

1926 Phantom 1. I assume it is shot in India, with possibly a Madras regn.

Attachment 28034

1924 Silver ghost. ORM 437, possibly Mayurbhanj Vijay Mallya car now MFA 3474. Unfortunately I only have front pics of that car, but it looks the same to me.

Attachment 28035

Attachment 28041

Found this in "Rolls Royce" by John Heilig and Reg Abbiss.

Attachment 28045

It appears to be this same car without wheel covers.

Attachment 28046
The Phantom I reminds me of a car I went to see for someone that was being sold in Indore in 2002-3, which had a completely worn out steering box and its roof had been roughly chopped, it had the same colour scheme. I can't remember if it had the same unusual windscreen set up.
Good sleuthing on the Silver Ghost.
Nice to see a more recent photo of Phantom II 105MW Barker dual cowl tourer.

Last edited by Julian UK : 10th July 2008 at 23:54.
Old 11th July 2008, 05:06   #477
BHPian

Phantom III 3BU50

Today's car is chassis number 3BU50, which Julian has posted about here before.

The chassis was sent off test from the factory on 20 January 1937, fitted with engine T48H and with steering at the E rake; it was set up for use in India, and was sent to coachbuilder Thrupp & Maberly on the day it came off test. The chassis was fitted with a landaulette body (number 6478), one of two landaulettes T&M built on the PIII; the other was 3BT135. The car was cellulosed in black throughout, with a white picking out line to the mouldings. It was fitted with a spare wheel to each side, and there were both a speedo and a clock to the rear compartment.

The car was ordered on 12 March 1936 by RR India agents Allied Motors Ltd. T&M records say the car was completed on 18 March 1937, and registered with English number DXR555. But it was not shipped to Calcutta until 10 September 1937, aboard the ss "Domala".

The was illustrated in the English magazines The Motor on June 1 1937, and Country Life on May 1 1937.

The car had been ordered by the Maharaja Sir Kameswara Singh Bahadur of Darbhanga (28 November 1907 - 8 November 1962). He had succeeded his father in 1929. His other RRs and Bentleys were: Phantom IIs 3XJ (Hooper tourer) and 2GY (Thrupp & Maberly landaulette); 20/25HP GWP8 (Barker drophead coupe); 25/30HP GRO48 (Gurney Nutting cabriolet); Bentley 4.25 B64MR (Vanden Plas drophead coupe) and Bentley Mark VI B171KL.

An article in English magazine Thoroughbred & Classic Cars of February 1989 says that Chetan Anand had visited the Maharaja's garage in Bihar, and that 3BU50 was still there. Also there was Bentley B64MR, and a Phantom I 43EF which had been owned by the previous Maharaja (it had been a Hooper tourer, then a T&M allweather and thirdly a Barker limousine!). There was also a 1949 Packard 120, and a 1910 Delauney Belleville saloon bought by the previous Maharaja for the 1911 Delhi Durbar.

The photos below are a scan of the photo in Country Life, and of a colour photocopy of the car as it was a few years ago.
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Rolls Royces in India-3bu50.jpg  

Classic Rolls Royces in India-3bu50-2.jpg  

Steve Stuckey is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 11th July 2008, 09:15   #478
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Stuckey View Post
Today's car is chassis number 3BU50, which Julian has posted about here before.
Of the four PIII's I've seen in India this remains my favourite. It is a most imposing car and I was delighted to see the car remain in such an original condition albeit with all the paint chipped off. Its safe and secure in the Sanghi collection and should be an awesome machine to restore. The chrome on the grill still looks so fresh. Lovely pictures Steve. Thanks

BTW am I correct in deducing that the hardtop beyond the C pillar comes off? Is it designed to be stored in the trunk or does one have to leave it at home?

PS I distinctly remember Manvendra Singh demonstrating the free wheeling of the RR wheel bearings by spinning the front right wheel. It seemed to spin for an eternity!

Quote:
The Phantom I reminds me of a car I went to see for someone that was being sold in Indore in 2002-3
I recall seeing a similar car with Mr. Sanghi. I think he has this car. I remember vaguely being told it had some bodywork done. I guess its the damage you are referring to Julian. It does look very impressive though. Typical look of the 29 tourers. Looks quite like American cars of the era.

Last edited by Rehaan : 11th July 2008 at 09:45. Reason: Posts merged on request.
Old 11th July 2008, 11:28   #479
BHPian

BTW am I correct in deducing that the hardtop beyond the C pillar comes off? Is it designed to be stored in the trunk or does one have to leave it at home?

DKG: the roof behind the C pillar folds back onto the body; it doesn't come off completely. Here's the other T&M PIII landaulette, 3BT135, with the roof folded back.
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Rolls Royces in India-3bt135.jpg  

Steve Stuckey is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2008, 13:52   #480
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Seeing the car's condition now just emphasises the critical need to store these cars in proper conditions in India. If owners can't, and just leave them outside in the elements (especially the monsoon) then they shouldn't own the car. After all each owner is merely a temporary custodian.
It was heartening to learn today that this car is now fully restored in an Indore collection.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks