Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2012, 13:15   #481
Senior - BHPian

Re: Classics of Travancore, Cochin and Malabar

Read from the local daily that the royal merc of the Trivandrum palace used by HH Utradam Thirunnal Marthanda Varma was quoted by merc itself for INR 2500000. The Merc with model name 180 D was bought in 1955 . With a single engine it has clocked 23 lakh miles. The same car has been awarded with 6 Medals.
Old 24th March 2012, 14:55   #482
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by foby.sebastian
Read from the local daily that the royal merc of the Trivandrum palace used by HH Utradam Thirunnal Marthanda Varma was quoted by merc itself for INR 2500000. The Merc with model name 180 D was bought in 1955 . With a single engine it has clocked 23 lakh miles. The same car has been awarded with 6 Medals.
That's like reaching the moon. Could be 2.3 lac miles
Old 24th March 2012, 17:19   #483
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasli View Post
That's like reaching the moon. Could be 2.3 lac miles
No it is definitely not 2.3lakh miles. the said car has been a daily driver for the past 57 years. I am not sure about the engine being the same,but the mileage covered is true as per my info.Assume that the car has done 60000 miles every year in its early years(which is possible) then 2.3lakh miles over such a period is achievable

Last edited by ajay99 : 24th March 2012 at 17:20.
Old 26th March 2012, 12:15   #484
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
No it is definitely not 2.3lakh miles. the said car has been a daily driver for the past 57 years. I am not sure about the engine being the same,but the mileage covered is true as per my info.Assume that the car has done 60000 miles every year in its early years(which is possible) then 2.3lakh miles over such a period is achievable
The mileage figure mentioned is most probably right because a close family friend of mine knows the car from the day one it is with the palace . The engine in the car is still the original one but was rebuilt in the late nineties .I had the privilege of taking a short ride in this car . This car used to do at least two trips every month to Mysore , Madras and Anamalais till about a few years back. Now the situation is that car is more roadworthy than the owner , hence not used for long trips .Like Ajay said it is still a daily driver .
Cheers!

Peeve
Old 31st March 2012, 12:15   #485
Senior - BHPian

This will no do justice to any of the cars in this snap bucause it was snapped with my phone from a local daily. The cars owned by the petrolhead maharajas of Trivandrum palace.
Attached Thumbnails
Classics of Travancore, Cochin and Malabar-capture.jpg  

Old 31st March 2012, 16:19   #486
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by foby.sebastian View Post
This will no do justice to any of the cars in this snap bucause it was snapped with my phone from a local daily. The cars owned by the petrolhead maharajas of Trivandrum palace.
the same photos along with some other royal car photos had been published in an issue of ''FASTTRACK'' a few years ago.So I assume this must have appeared in Manorama Cochin Edition
Old 31st March 2012, 18:44   #487
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by foby.sebastian
Possible to scan this and which newspaper etc. thanks
Old 31st March 2012, 20:19   #488
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasli View Post
Possible to scan this and which newspaper etc. thanks
It seems you have not read my previous post, the newspaper is clearly mentioned therein
Old 1st April 2012, 02:11   #489
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99

It seems you have not read my previous post, the newspaper is clearly mentioned therein
Date when it appeared is what I am asking
Old 1st April 2012, 12:29   #490
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This must be a super set of photos - please please do take the effort of sharing a higher quality scan. These are obviously top cars.

The last picture I can see is a Studebaker Land Cruiser of the mid 30s - there was an identical car in Mumbai (possibly same colour too, possibly same car). Harit had shared photos of parts of the car, with actress Ruby Myers, one of the many actresses who used the screen name Sulochana.
Old 1st April 2012, 16:18   #491
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
This must be a super set of photos - please please do take the effort of sharing a higher quality scan. These are obviously top cars.
Quote:
I am sure Ajay99 will come to our rescue
The last picture I can see is a Studebaker Land Cruiser of the mid 30s - there was an identical car in Mumbai (possibly same colour too, possibly same car). Harit had shared photos of parts of the car, with actress Ruby Myers, one of the many actresses who used the screen name Sulochana.
You could be correct Karl
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...ml#post1806118

Cheers

KPS
Old 1st April 2012, 19:07   #492
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post

This was an article that could have been so much more elegantly done. The pictures are extremely poor quality.

The only car I can recognize by chassis number is the R-R 20/25 (second from top - now Bhogilal). The boy in the picture is the current Maharaja, who just turned 90! The car is however identified in the article as a "Humber" !!!

The cars (as identified in the mag) are top to bottom:

Ford; "Humber" (Malayalam for R-R); Opel; Cadillac (Green); Cadillac (Blue)

The article also has a list which includes a Cadillac "Palace Special", Studebaker, Lincoln etc.

The Autos of the Maharajas also talks about the Travancore Lincolns and Cadillacs with no details. Cheers
travancore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2012, 21:51   #493
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Please give me the date? When this appeared
Old 3rd April 2012, 13:16   #494
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by travancore View Post
This was an article that could have been so much more elegantly done. The pictures are extremely poor quality.

The only car I can recognize by chassis number is the R-R 20/25 (second from top - now Bhogilal). The boy in the picture is the current Maharaja, who just turned 90! The car is however identified in the article as a "Humber" !!!

The cars (as identified in the mag) are top to bottom:

Ford; "Humber" (Malayalam for R-R); Opel; Cadillac (Green); Cadillac (Blue)

The article also has a list which includes a Cadillac "Palace Special", Studebaker, Lincoln etc.

The Autos of the Maharajas also talks about the Travancore Lincolns and Cadillacs with no details. Cheers
Thampi sir,
I fully agree with you ,I was able to locate the 2006 Issue of Fasttrack wherein these photos was previously published Here is the list of Palace cars as written therein
1.Minerva
2.Ballela Fiat
3.3 Buicks including one convertible(that convertible is now in Bombay)
4.Hudson
5.Pontiacs-2
6.Lincoln
7.Cadillacs -4 including one PALACE SPECIAL (modified by a local guy) and a convertible
8.Dodge
9.Opel
10.Humber
11.Austin
12.Mercedes -4 numbers including 1 ponton and 3 Fintail S class
13.Plymouth Valiant-2 numbers
14.Vanguard
there was also mention of the contessa and later model cars owned by the PALACE
Old 6th April 2012, 17:06   #495
Senior - BHPian

Is that OMNI tail lamp?