Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th February 2012, 13:51   #9181
Senior - BHPian

Re: The DSLR Thread

So I have the option of getting a DSLR gifted to me but the budget is 24k max. Now I know there aren't any good DSLRs that I can get for this price so I thought why not get just the body and then purchase my own lens.

Is there any other option apart from Canon's 1100D (body only)?

I have used a Sony bridge till now and it had all the manual modes (M,A,S,P) but for some reason I wasn't able to get good quality pics in low light and also the colours & depth of the pics in daylight weren't at par.

Would a DSLR body costing 24k max. and a lens that I purchase (for 10k max) be able to give me pics that I can process (whatever that means) to bring out better pics than my current bridge camera (Sony DSC-H1)?
Old 6th February 2012, 13:54   #9182
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
So I have the option of getting a DSLR gifted to me but the budget is 24k max. Now I know there aren't any good DSLRs that I can get for this price so I thought why not get just the body and then purchase my own lens.

Is there any other option apart from Canon's 1100D (body only)?
With that budget and whatever you can stretch, I think you should go for the 1100D. It's a fine entry level camera.
Old 6th February 2012, 14:46   #9183
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
With that budget and whatever you can stretch, I think you should go for the 1100D. It's a fine entry level camera.
Like everything else, I posted on t-bhp first and then started searching other forums. I see Nikon's D3100 highly recommended over Canon's 1100D and its obviously better going by the specs, at a higher price of course.

Is it possible to get Nikon's D3100 (body only) under 24k?

My sister has Canon's 500D (or was it 550D) and she chose Canon over Nikon because it had better compatibility with non-canon lenses. If Nikon's D3100 body is retailing at <=24k then any such issues that I might encounter which would be less likely to occur with Canon DSLRs?

I don't think I'd purchase another DSLR in the next 4-5 years and would only be getting 2-3 good lenses at max, considering this is Canon better than Nikon?
Old 6th February 2012, 16:53   #9184
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
....she chose Canon over Nikon because it had better compatibility with non-canon lenses......
Hearing it for the first time !! I think all these myths are promoted by the die-hard fans or brand promoters. Third party lens manufacturers always make lenses for Canon & Nikon equally. Many of them also come for Sony and other brand mounts.

I would advise anyone moving to a DSLR to get a 'used' body and lens to start with. There are plenty of them in the market for a real bargain. As one moves forward with the learning and recognizing his special field of interest, one could get a brand new body and set of lenses.

I have been dumping money into this pit right from 2008. Probably I lacked enough tips from others, always ended up buying brand new bodies and lenses and lost a huge chunk of money whenever I sold them. Having the 3rd and 4th body with me (D700 & D7000) with Nikon PRO lenses 24-70, 70-200, 50mm & 105mm. Let me tell you all "ALL OF THEM ARE BOUGHT AS 'USED' ".
Old 6th February 2012, 17:58   #9185
BHPian

Hi Gurus, need an advice on Penatcon 200mm F4 lense, I got this lense from my grandfather and it was lying static for almost 10 years. Last year I got my D40 and started researching on the same and with the help of M-42 mount I could load this lense on my camera.

But the issue is its a manual focus lense and I am struggling to get the better results on the same. This is one of the picture I got from Pentacon recently. My lense kit contains nikon 18-55mm, nikon 55-200mm. and Pentacon 200mm. Is it worth keeping this lense?
Attached Thumbnails
The DSLR Thread-pentacon.jpg  

Old 6th February 2012, 18:23   #9186
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My sister has Canon's 500D (or was it 550D)
If you/sister have/plan to have additional lens, you can consider the Canon body because you/sister will be able to borrow lens from the other.

And @Shaju, rightly said. The 2nd hand lens market is hard to ignore. Its worth it. I am on the hunt for a SB400 and a 70-300(need to build cash for this, still kicking myself for not picking it up from you)
Old 6th February 2012, 21:52   #9187
Senior - BHPian

Tomorrow is the 7th that all Nikonians are waiting with baited breath. Does anybody here has any lowdown on the rumoured D 800?
Old 7th February 2012, 11:54   #9188
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post

FYI, I am going to pick this camera in the next week myself.

Cheers!
Friends

I am picking up my Sony HX100V today evening. Excited. My first tryst with a DSLR-like (bridge) camera. After a lot of reading on web and magazines, I decided that I will first get myself acquainted with DSLR like functions and then jump into the DSLR band wagon. Budget was never a problem, but knowledge was. I will get a chance to test the cam immediately with the impending TeamBHP-Pune meet scheduled for this Sunday.

Cheers!!
Old 7th February 2012, 11:56   #9189
Senior - BHPian

36 MP D800 officially announced !

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinj12 View Post
....still kicking myself for not picking it up from you....
I am still kicking myself for buying it brand new second time and selling it within 60 days

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
......Does anybody here has any lowdown on the rumoured D 800?
GD saab, call me to help you out in counting cash, its officially out
Nikon confirms 36.3 megapixel D800, we go hands-on -- Engadget

Should be in stores by next month. Availability here is yet to be confirmed. Very frankly speaking, I dont need a 36 MP cam unless I am getting into the Fashion & Glamour or Ad line. Its too much MP to handle and my present PC will die within 24 hours.
Old 7th February 2012, 12:33   #9190
Senior - BHPian

Re: 36 MP D800 officially announced !

Disappointing. Am not much enamoured by its MPs. Was looking for a new generation low-light capability. Choice now between a D700 or a D3S depending on the depth of the pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post

GD saab, call me to help you out in counting cash, its officially out
Nikon confirms 36.3 megapixel D800, we go hands-on -- Engadget

Should be in stores by next month. Availability here is yet to be confirmed. Very frankly speaking, I dont need a 36 MP cam unless I am getting into the Fashion & Glamour or Ad line. Its too much MP to handle and my present PC will die within 24 hours.
Old 7th February 2012, 13:15   #9191
Senior - BHPian

Re: 36 MP D800 officially announced !

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
Disappointing. Am not much enamoured by its MPs. Was looking for a new generation low-light capability. Choice now between a D700 or a D3S depending on the depth of the pocket.
I am waiting for the D700 vs D800 low light quality. If there is not much gain then D700 will be a good choice !!! If D800 is better then I would go for that side as it can also shoot in lower resolutions also why take photos in 36mp !!!
Old 7th February 2012, 14:37   #9192
BHPian

Hi! I am looking for a 100 mm filter holder & a 77 mm adapter ring. Any idea which brands are available in India?
Old 7th February 2012, 17:02   #9193
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
I am waiting for the D700 vs D800 low light quality. If there is not much gain then D700 will be a good choice !!! If D800 is better then I would go for that side as it can also shoot in lower resolutions also why take photos in 36mp !!!
High ISO is a big question to be answered in the coming days by field tests and expert reviews as 36MP pushed into a 35mm sensor opens lot of doubts. Need to wait for the moment.

Here is a fresh video shot by D800:

Last edited by shajufx : 7th February 2012 at 17:10.
Old 7th February 2012, 18:06   #9194
BHPian

@Shaju
This looks like an awesome alternative to a medium format body at this price point, so landscape shooters can rejoice, so can commercial photographers and of course with uncompressed HDMI output, low budget film making is only getting better!
As you can see, the promo video is intentionally shot in really dark conditions and boy it looks really good! From my experience shooting on the 5D mark2 in available light at night on the streets, this footage looks way way better in terms of noise. Wish it was 1080p on youtube, for some reason it's just 720p.
Old 7th February 2012, 18:26   #9195
BHPian

Quote:
Like everything else, I posted on t-bhp first and then started searching other forums. I see Nikon's D3100 highly recommended over Canon's 1100D and its obviously better going by the specs, at a higher price of course.

Is it possible to get Nikon's D3100 (body only) under 24k?

My sister has Canon's 500D (or was it 550D) and she chose Canon over Nikon because it had better compatibility with non-canon lenses. If Nikon's D3100 body is retailing at <=24k then any such issues that I might encounter which would be less likely to occur with Canon DSLRs?

I don't think I'd purchase another DSLR in the next 4-5 years and would only be getting 2-3 good lenses at max, considering this is Canon better than Nikon?

One advantage the Canon(550d) will have over the Nikon D3100 is that the canon has an autofocus motor whereas the Nikon does not have. So for Nikon you can only buy lenses that have internal focussing motor. These lenses are higher priced than the one's with no internal focussing motor. In canon you won't have this issue.
Rachit.K.Dogra is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks