Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2010, 20:42   #361
BHPian

i have a weird problem with my utorrent. The port is open for now. but during the night (happy hours) the port gets closed. it says 'port is closed but you are still able to download'. the speed never crosses 70kBps. i have tried port forwading my zone alarm, added a virtual server in the modem confg, but still no use.

plan : home 500
av : zone alarm extreme security (tried avg too.)

help please...

BSNL BroadBand Issues-clipboard01.jpg

using dns benchmark
BSNL BroadBand Issues-dns.png

Last edited by vaisakhr : 17th July 2010 at 20:46.
Old 18th July 2010, 17:12   #362
Senior - BHPian

[quote=sohail99;1985299]Instead of trying different DNS servers, I'd suggest you run a DNS Benchmark from your comp to see what DNS server(s) is/are giving you best performance -

Hi Sohail,

I did try to install this bench mark But it says that it is an executable file which might contain virus. So I did not want to take risk and gave up.
Old 19th July 2010, 03:46   #363
Senior - BHPian

Guys a little update from me - The issue is resolved without me having to do anything. I don't know what's going on & the speeds are also normal as before.

Next time this happens what should I do? Pls advice. Also what's this openDNS stuff all about? I too got the same screen as Navan sir posted, after which I saw conclusion & couldn't make out anything out of it. Can someone help me understand as what should I do?
Old 19th July 2010, 07:12   #364
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Guys a little update from me - The issue is resolved without me having to do anything. I don't know what's going on & the speeds are also normal as before.

Next time this happens what should I do? Pls advice. Also what's this openDNS stuff all about? I too got the same screen as Navan sir posted, after which I saw conclusion & couldn't make out anything out of it. Can someone help me understand as what should I do?
Glad that your issue got resolved. It's because BSNL DNS servers get crazy at times. Open DNS is a company which serves DNS servers FOC. We can use some of their servers which are reliable, instead of BSNL DNS servers. In cases where the modem is configured to automatic DNS server automatically, then BSNL DNS servers will be used. Instead you can use DNS servers from Open DNS in that place. Hope you know about DNS. If you are not aware of that, DNS is a server which converts the website addresses we type to the corresponding IP addresses. For e.g. the actual IP address of google may be http://10.0.0.1. (For e.g. only. This is not actual google IP) But what we actually type in browser is Google. It is the job of DNS server to convert Google to http://10.0.0.1. If there is some issue in mapping in the DNS server, even if we type google.com, the same may go to some other page. Hope this clarifies things.
Old 19th July 2010, 07:37   #365
Senior - BHPian

@bhp - Yes, Thanks; I understand the concept of networking. But where do I set the DNS server's IP in the modem (192.168.1.1)? Also I found that openDNS requires some login or so, which is unlike the listing of free proxy servers. Also how to understand the output of DNS benchmark?
Old 19th July 2010, 15:43   #366
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
@bhp - Yes, Thanks; I understand the concept of networking. But where do I set the DNS server's IP in the modem (192.168.1.1)? Also I found that openDNS requires some login or so, which is unlike the listing of free proxy servers. Also how to understand the output of DNS benchmark?
Yes, you can update the DNS servers in the modem if your modem is configured for PPPoE (Always ON) connection. If the modem is in bridge, I think you need to modify the DNS in your PPPoE connection on PC. Not sure about this, will confirm after testing. OpenDNS require login for advanced users for site blocking etc. but not for getting just the IP address of DNS I think. You can find the DNS IP address to the bottom right of the web site. Regarding the DNS benchmark test output, the best performer should have a good cache score and a less response time. A combination of both these parameters will give you the best performance.
Old 20th July 2010, 18:28   #367
Senior - BHPian

I'm too tired & embarassed to say this; the problem has cropped up again!!! May be BSNL is not ashamed of their pathetic service. What do I do? Fortunately OpenDNS & TBhp are working now. rediff & google are not working & throws Error 500 screen in my previous post on page 24. Yahoo as usual is showing up some other page. Guys, pls suggest me some solution, this is killing me.
Old 20th July 2010, 22:46   #368
Senior - BHPian

utorrent has many settings that works wonder if you do it right. But posting it here will not be appropriate.

Check this out

Also change settings on your router for port forwarding.

PortForward.com - Port Forwarding Guides Listed by Manufacturer and Model

Last edited by SirAlec : 20th July 2010 at 22:48.
Old 21st July 2010, 05:51   #369
Senior - BHPian

Update - Issue finally resolved; used Sohail's recommendation on running GRC's|DNS Nameserver Performance Benchmark & used one of the DNS server that was listed & then I was able to connect to rediff & google. Good thing is that I'm able to experience the same speeds as before. Thanks Sohail.
Old 22nd July 2010, 11:40   #370
BHPian

Update...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaisakhr View Post
i have a weird problem with my utorrent. The port is open for now. but during the night (happy hours) the port gets closed. it says 'port is closed but you are still able to download'. the speed never crosses 70kBps. i have tried port forwading my zone alarm, added a virtual server in the modem confg, but still no use.

plan : home 500
av : zone alarm extreme security (tried avg too.)

help please...
Problem solved. Zone alarm was the culprit. Switched to Kaspersky and everything is normal. Ports are open and downloading at normal speed.

Problem #2:

for the h-h downloading i scheduled a 'wake up' at 2am and put my pc in sleep mode leaving the modem on. The computer wakes up at 2 and starts downloading, bsnl breaks up the usage in to two parts (ie, upto 2 o'clock and after 2 which is in the h-h). Everything goes good except one thing. The usage record shows nearly 40MB to 57MB usage between 12 and 2! I don't know where it is going. Automatic updates in my system including window update is disabled/scheduled in the h-h. This will be critical for me as the free usage is 2.5GB i'll run out of limit if I try to schedule for every day.

Any solutions for this problem? Is there any tool which allows to monitor which program is using internet?

Regards
Old 22nd July 2010, 12:33   #371
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaisakhr View Post
Is there any tool which allows to monitor which program is using internet?
If you get some tool, let me know too!

I was saddled with a Rs 2500+ bill for internet alone last month.

Checked for virus etc and could not find any. Mine is a Rs 700 connection with a 4GB limit.
Old 22nd July 2010, 12:54   #372
Distinguished - BHPian

Have been having connectivity problems on my 2 mbps unlimited connection for last few days. Pages do not load fully. SNR ratios are currently at 30 downstream and 20 up-stream.

Had called the exchange, who said it is a line problem at their end.

Question : what is the normal SNR for a BSNL connection ?
Old 22nd July 2010, 13:17   #373
BHPian

I have never had a BSNL broadband connection but BSNL was kind enough & added broadband installation charges and modem charges in the month of April to my landline bill.They have been adding monthly broadband rental to my landline bill ever since.

No amount of running around has helped to get the bill corrected.I have been paying only the landline part of the charges in the bill every month as I was told by the accounts officer.But today I found that the dialing facility on my landline has been withdrawn on account of non-payment of bill even though the outstanding dues(even after adding broadband charges) are less than half of my credit limit mentioned on the bill.

Last edited by rishab.k : 22nd July 2010 at 13:19.
Old 22nd July 2010, 16:52   #374
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post

I was saddled with a Rs 2500+ bill for internet alone last month.
Similar incident happened to my friend's neighbor. Who only uses the internet for chatting with their children abroad. Their bill was nearly 15000! They were video chatting though. But lot of programs including many viruses were running in back ground which used most of the free limit. Sadly they were not much computer proficient.

Sir, is your ISP is bsnl? Then there is one firefox addon which is very helpful in finding usage. Its called Datafox

Quote:
Checked for virus etc and could not find any
Antivirus update scheduled in the morning. So no problem with that. And I disabled Window update too.
Old 22nd July 2010, 17:04   #375
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
condor : Have been having connectivity problems on my 2 mbps unlimited connection for last few days. Pages do not load fully. SNR ratios are currently at 30 downstream and 20 up-stream.
Met the exchange people, who suggested adding a DNS server entry. They said that this is not due to the SNR .. esp if the DSL is holding.

Connection is holding for now.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks