Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10th November 2010, 02:17   #2866
Team-BHP Support
 
manson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 3,532
Thanked: 1,997 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjunrudra View Post
Guys i have a blackberry torch with me and I would like to have some apps downloaded for it.
I saw this great app in my friends i phone. Its called cellphone finder or something , you type in any cell phone number and it immediately shows where that person is at the moment.
So do we have something like that for blackberry ?
That sounds like a terrific tool to have when self employed, Val would you have any information on this application?
Any other recommended applications for the 9700 which would not slow down the phone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neilguy View Post
Did anyone install the leaked BB OS6 on the 9700. I have, and it has transformed my 9700 from an ugly duckling to a splendid swan. Not quite iPhone/Android types, but still, made me fall in love with my BB once again.

The interface is fantastic and the effects are sweet. But be careful, it is a leaked version after all and carries its own risks. Loving my 9700 more now.
I am still honeymooning with my 9700, so I'll give it a pass. But would you have any indicative screenshots so that I know what I'm missing out on?

manson.
manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2010, 07:56   #2867
BHPian
 
valhallen.282's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 285
Thanked: 48 Times
Default

There are quite a few apps strewn over app world like that. Friend finder, family locator etc etc. Even googles latitude which comes with maps. However I think @arjunrudra is referring to the friend finder service like what was advertised heavily by airtel. Key in a number and it will reply to you with the location of the phone. That would be available from the service provider.

Secondarily. I would suggest getting the paid for documents to go. As I've noted you end up forgetting about your laptop or desktop completely once you can work with office docs on the BB. It will also give you a pdf reader. A worthy investment.

You can also look at visiting the blackberry beta forums here -> www.blackberry.com/beta the initial signup is a little hectic but once you get through you get access to apps in development. I'm with facebook 1.9 right now.

You can also look at the who is it? App. Nifty contact led linker. Boss calls-> white. Gf-> green. You get the picture. But if you don't mind paying for it. Bebuzz gives you a lot more. Those here with GPS facilities head on over to waze. There is a community here on t-bhp too. But try and download from app-world. You will however require a data and not an email only plan.

Stay away from the linkedin app its a resource hog and it is not possible to close it. While its half-decent and integration is good the rest is just terrible.

Also stay away from google sync. It will multiply all your contacts over time.
valhallen.282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2010, 09:53   #2868
BHPian
 
Neilguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 172
Thanked: 51 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post
I am still honeymooning with my 9700, so I'll give it a pass. But would you have any indicative screenshots so that I know what I'm missing out on?
manson.
I don't have a video of my own, but you can check out the sweet review and video from Engadget

I'm really loving the new OS. But just be careful not to load it up with a lot of apps. Some apps cause a memory leak and might make it slow for as long as that app is running. And the new webkit browser gives me iPhone like views of websites. Sweeeet...!!
Neilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2010, 15:25   #2869
Senior - BHPian
 
harry10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Faridabad/Delhi
Posts: 2,216
Thanked: 554 Times
Default

MY OS for 8520 is 4.6 right now.
I want to upgrade it but not able to.
Can anyone give me a llink from where it can be done.
harry10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2010, 15:31   #2870
BHPian
 
Neilguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 172
Thanked: 51 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
MY OS for 8520 is 4.6 right now.
I want to upgrade it but not able to.
Can anyone give me a llink from where it can be done.
Check this forum. It has all the tips and tricks including links to all the downloads and procedures to upgrade the BB OS. BTW the latest official OS for the Curve 8520 is 5.0.0.822

Note: There might be other leaked/unofficial OS available for your model, but upgrade only at your own risk and after understanding all the consequences, limitations and liabilities.
Neilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2010, 16:52   #2871
BHPian
 
valhallen.282's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 285
Thanked: 48 Times
Default

@neilguy the 681 from east asia does not work properly in india. Believe me I tried and the .822 is riddled with bugs currently the stablest release for the 8520 is the .509 the version I'm running -> 8520/5.0.0.509 it has app version 5.2.0.47 and is called the 806 package update. There was a 552 also available but they pulled it down.

@harry10 is yours a enterprise server linked phone? If so then you have to contact IT in your company for any upgrade in applications. They are all policy controlled. If it is a private phone please see here -> https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...2B6049B8D9A202

Select your phone> Download> search for vendor.xml and delete it(DO NO MISS THIS STEP)> open BBDM> backup device> either run update or use loader.exe in the same folder to update handheld. That's it you are DONE!
valhallen.282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2010, 18:41   #2872
Senior - BHPian
 
harry10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Faridabad/Delhi
Posts: 2,216
Thanked: 554 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhallen.282 View Post
@neilguy the 681 from east asia does not work properly in india. Believe me I tried and the .822 is riddled with bugs currently the stablest release for the 8520 is the .509 the version I'm running -> 8520/5.0.0.509 it has app version 5.2.0.47 and is called the 806 package update. There was a 552 also available but they pulled it down.

@harry10 is yours a enterprise server linked phone? If so then you have to contact IT in your company for any upgrade in applications. They are all policy controlled. If it is a private phone please see here -> https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...2B6049B8D9A202

Select your phone> Download> search for vendor.xml and delete it(DO NO MISS THIS STEP)> open BBDM> backup device> either run update or use loader.exe in the same folder to update handheld. That's it you are DONE!
THanks mate.
The other concern in updating is will it void the warranty cos as per i can see its not an official released OS?
harry10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2010, 19:00   #2873
BHPian
 
valhallen.282's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 285
Thanked: 48 Times
Default

This is an OFFICIAL blackberry OS. No warranty voids. It was meant for a locked handset. The problem is not all carriers are interested in updating. Definitely none in india. Just that when blackberry release they don't do a universal release and some of us get older apps. That's why I keep a track of the stablest available for my handset. This way I have the latest apps. Increased performance and battery life and the best of apps.

If you are worried and have the time and patience then plug in your BB open BBDM and click on update. Or go to the north america website and click update my phone. do this from internet explorer. It will autodownload and update. however it does not give info what OS apps and/or versions of OS5 it is loading until it updates completely.
valhallen.282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2010, 18:39   #2874
BHPian
 
quadra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Blore
Posts: 542
Thanked: 52 Times
Default

I am coming close to 4 weeks of ownership of curve 9300 3G. I must say that i will not go back to Symbian now . I was living under a rock till now.

1. What are the options to play youtube videos ? via app / browser
2. HTML support ? is there a workaround ?
3. How to open jpg / jpeg files and other basic file types ?
4. Any video converter s/w available and tested by you guys to transfer and play videos on bb?
5. skype app available ??? anyone tested it ??

Thats it for now.

PS: upgraded BDM to v6 and it was not able to detect my memory card content. Checked and found a patch available for same to be installed. Instead downgraded to v5.

EDIT:
6. BB app world application - i lost the original app as i had to wipe the device. The new app shows the apps in INR (instead of USD which means its an indian version) and does not show the column for free apps.
The default app showed free apps box. What to do to get US app

Last edited by quadra : 12th November 2010 at 18:43.
quadra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2010, 19:19   #2875
BHPian
 
valhallen.282's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 285
Thanked: 48 Times
Default

@quadra the youtube videos are native supported from the app as youtube does rtsp mobile streaming. Your version of the BB supports a LOT of formats. If you are talking about those illegal DL of movies and videos from internet sources. Its a cut and paste to play of divx and mpg4 compressed files. But there are limitations. Please see the BB website for details of the same. PLEASE GET OS 6 from another carrier and follow the procedure given earlier for update. It will do a lot of good for you trust me!
*HOWEVER* you WILL get charged for streaming from youtube if you are in India. Even if you have the free internet service. At home I either copy paste or use RTSP streaming from a darwin media server. Please look that up. Be careful with youtube as it does NOT store media locally. So streaming video on network and replaying it will cost you.
You have also received the new update for app world believe me its a world better and seems to work out cheaper. And the top free apps are under the icon that shows the trophy. Or go to any category and use the sorting button next to the search field on the top left of your screen once you enter the category.

Skype not available in all its goodness.

Picture files will open in your media folders under pictures.
valhallen.282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2010, 19:44   #2876
BHPian
 
quadra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Blore
Posts: 542
Thanked: 52 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhallen.282 View Post
@quadra the youtube videos are native supported from the app as youtube does rtsp mobile streaming. Your version of the BB supports a LOT of formats. If you are talking about those illegal DL of movies and videos from internet sources. Its a cut and paste to play of divx and mpg4 compressed files. But there are limitations. Please see the BB website for details of the same. PLEASE GET OS 6 from another carrier and follow the procedure given earlier for update. It will do a lot of good for you trust me!
*HOWEVER* you WILL get charged for streaming from youtube if you are in India. Even if you have the free internet service. At home I either copy paste or use RTSP streaming from a darwin media server. Please look that up. Be careful with youtube as it does NOT store media locally. So streaming video on network and replaying it will cost you.
Thanks for the reply val.
I am on 899 unltd plan from airtel, i dont think i will be charged for youtube streaming. I will confirm this with airtel BB support
If its chargeable, i think i will skip youtube. That RTSP thing needs more digging here and there. Will give it a try.

Regarding OS6, will give it a try too. I earlier posted a video here showing OS v6 on curve 9300 and it looked killer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhallen.282 View Post
You have also received the new update for app world believe me its a world better and seems to work out cheaper. And the top free apps are under the icon that shows the trophy. Or go to any category and use the sorting button next to the search field on the top left of your screen once you enter the category.
You are right. The trophy icon takes you to the main screen where you need to scroll towards right to view extended menu which contains more info than pvs version. Thanks buddy
quadra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2010, 09:40   #2877
Distinguished - BHPian
 
sgiitk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kanpur
Posts: 7,107
Thanked: 3,687 Times
Default

@quadra; I was talking to my son yesterday, and he made an excellent comment. As far as smartphones are concerned it is Android and BB (and maybe iPhone). Symbian is still king if you want a non-smart esp. with a keypad!

Cannot agree more.
sgiitk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2010, 09:51   #2878
BHPian
 
valhallen.282's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 285
Thanked: 48 Times
Default

@quadra the airtel services exec will tell you that you need the app for using youtube streaming. The app is dysfunctional. It will finally connect through wap(Airtel Live!) and over wap you will have to pay standard airtel streaming charges.

That's why your browsers has been set to warn you before you set to wap streaming. Save yourself from yourself and friends who unwittingly will end up using airtel live and hide the browser. Keep internet browser and hotspot on your main screen. To switch between EDGE/3G and wifi you have to open either browser go to options general properties and switch the default browser.

Believe me I got bitten by this that's how I know.
valhallen.282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2010, 12:17   #2879
BHPian
 
quadra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Blore
Posts: 542
Thanked: 52 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@quadra; I was talking to my son yesterday, and he made an excellent comment. As far as smartphones are concerned it is Android and BB (and maybe iPhone). Symbian is still king if you want a non-smart esp. with a keypad!

Cannot agree more.
I agree with you.

OT: whenever i read your posts, i would always see your pic and this question always comes to my mind, is that you in the pic ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhallen.282 View Post
@quadra the airtel services exec will tell you that you need the app for using youtube streaming. The app is dysfunctional. It will finally connect through wap(Airtel Live!) and over wap you will have to pay standard airtel streaming charges.

That's why your browsers has been set to warn you before you set to wap streaming. Save yourself from yourself and friends who unwittingly will end up using airtel live and hide the browser. Keep internet browser and hotspot on your main screen. To switch between EDGE/3G and wifi you have to open either browser go to options general properties and switch the default browser.

Believe me I got bitten by this that's how I know.
Got it captain, i believe you. Youtube is not much of a concern now.

Could you / anyone here help me upload videos on BB.
I used handbrake s/w & settings mentioned on crackberry.com to convert a avi file (350mb)to mp4. I then copied it to my bb via roxio media manager on BDM v5 but the trfd was disrupted by an error that said "could not trfd the file...". I still got a broken file sitting in my memory card, it didn't play

Attempt 2: I trfd the same avi file directly to BB, it copied successfully but didnt play either

Attempt 3: With some searching on crackberry, i changed the FPS to 23, screen resolution to 320*240. Converted to MP4, again the trfd to BB got stuck with above error message.

Attempt 4: Downloaded a 3gp converter, chose a 600mb avi file, converted it to 3gp. It didn't get trfd to memory card, same error.

I will now try to copy and paste a file using windows explorer to see if that works. Till then any workarounds you guys suggest are appreciated
quadra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2010, 13:22   #2880
BHPian
 
valhallen.282's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 285
Thanked: 48 Times
Default

Check the file that you created with fileinfo tool from klite or vlc. You also have to check the bitrates. My BB plays the mp4's just fine. Esp the 600/700mb avi/mp4/divx ones. I just copy paste to the videos folder in the BB sd card disconnect and press play.
valhallen.282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Of Bappa, Blackberry, Beach and a Beige beauty - My trip to Ganapatipule JoshMachine Travelogues 4 16th July 2013 14:21
Blackberry Pearl 8100 Sahil Gadgets, Computers & Software 20 10th September 2009 20:14
blackberry's for banglore cops whatcanthisbe Shifting gears 11 30th May 2007 22:18


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 10:30.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks