Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th December 2016, 00:26   #106
BHPian

Re: GPS-tracking Anti-Theft Devices

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashimathews View Post
Hi,

Did you get a chance to install your device and also test it out? Does it work properly. Was looking for some more information before buying Rover 201.
Hi shashimathews, I got it installed a month back and have been using it for sometime now. Below are the likes and dislikes of both based purely on my experience with Autocop trackpro TP2000 and MMI Rover 201.

MMI Rover 201

GPS-tracking Anti-Theft Devices-mmi.png

• Device seems to be of better build quality.
  • Provides panic button, which user can use to send an alert message to the registered mobile no.
  • The subscription can be renewed online.

Dislikes
  • Application doesn't remember credentials.
  • GPS signals are weak and most of the times it shows GPS is offline until I park the car in some open space.
  • Interface is very slow to load.

Although it should send SMS and email notifications but for some reason I'm not receiving any notifications. I'll check that with MMI.

Autocop Trackpro TP2000

GPS-tracking Anti-Theft Devices-trackpro.png

• Very accurate, even shows my building's parking.
  • SMS and email notifications are very quick, every time I overspeed, my entire family gets the notification .
  • Many features are provided in the application, like vehicle status, device status, tracking on, tracking off, immobilizer on and off.

Dislikes
  • Subscription renewal process is the only downside, where every time you need to provide the documents and NEFT the recharge amount.
I hope this helps .
motoholic31 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th January 2017, 18:46   #107
Senior - BHPian

are there any GPS devices which can be used without a subscription?
asking as the good subscription based devices are expensive, and the cheaper ones are unreliable

something that can, for ex respond to an SMS with a GPS location?

also my car does not have a functional OBD port
Old 4th January 2017, 22:23   #108
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
are there any GPS devices which can be used without a subscription?
asking as the good subscription based devices are expensive, and the cheaper ones are unreliable

something that can, for ex respond to an SMS with a GPS location?

also my car does not have a functional OBD port
Buy a concox from aliexpress put in your own sim card. Thats it.
Concox branded devices cost 35 Usd and are very reliable.
tsk1979 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th January 2017, 22:28   #109
Distinguished - BHPian

I tried to order the quikr scanner and have applied numerous times for the same on their website however there is no response from their end. Any other devices in a similar price range?
Old 5th January 2017, 11:40   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Do these work on mobile connections without Data Plan ?

Interesting option to explore. Have a sim lying idle, want to explore

Last edited by lambuhere1 : 5th January 2017 at 11:41.
Old 5th January 2017, 14:02   #111
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post
Do these work on mobile connections without Data Plan ?

Interesting option to explore. Have a sim lying idle, want to explore
Yes. SMS command based. So you send sms any device sends sms back with location. It is a google maps link or lat lon. You can findings

You can even setup your own webserver for live tracking. I did it on a virtual machine but after a while the novelty wears of. SMS tracking is all you need.
tsk1979 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th January 2017, 14:11   #112
Senior - BHPian

anybody using the GT06 fuel cutoff function?
The rest of it seems fairly easy, but a bit worried if I am asking for trouble inserting an el cheapo chinese device onto my fuel pump powerline :/
Old 5th January 2017, 14:31   #113
Senior - BHPian

GPS-tracking Anti-Theft Devices

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoholic31;4107954

[B
Autocop Trackpro TP2000[/b]

Been using one now for 2.5 months since the car is driven by a driver for almost 200+ kms a day. Highly satisfied with service. I have configured it to send me an SMS incase speed goes over 80. As well as put in a Geofence around area of operation.

I get the exact route taken, ignition times as well.

All in all satisfied with the service. I got the 3 years plan.

Only grouse is no iOS app is not available in the Indian store. Will try to get a workaround .
Old 30th January 2017, 23:59   #114
BHPian

Has anyone installed Carnot or Carot trackers.
The applications seem very upmarket and same for their websites.
If anyone has installed please share some pics of the product, screenshots of app pages, likes and dislikes if any.

www.carnot.co.in

And

www.carot.com
Old 1st February 2017, 13:39   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotcha797 View Post
Has anyone installed Carnot or Carot trackers.
The applications seem very upmarket and same for their websites.
If anyone has installed please share some pics of the product, screenshots of app pages, likes and dislikes if any.

www.carnot.co.in
And
www.carot.com
Device cost - Rs. 8499, One year subscription - Rs. 2470
Its total 10969 including taxes.

Currently, the over speed alert is set at a prefixed 100 kmph which can not be altered. It has a feature to share its location to third party through message / whatsapp etc. It also records the driving behavior, idle time etc etc

(Information shared by their executive)
coolclouds is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2017, 16:37   #116
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Anyone had experience with this guy on ebay. to it appears to be a clone of GT 06 model

http://www.ebay.in/itm/Vehicle-gps-t...sAAOSw5cNYcMcN

Another model from Ali express with Ublox chip. It does not require any wire cutting and connecting to ACC. comes with 6000 mah battery

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Car-...3-be5d743cd3ba
Old 3rd May 2017, 11:35   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
Device cost - Rs. 8499, One year subscription - Rs. 2470
Its total 10969 including taxes.

Currently, the over speed alert is set at a prefixed 100 kmph which can not be altered. It has a feature to share its location to third party through message / whatsapp etc. It also records the driving behavior, idle time etc etc

(Information shared by their executive)
Ordered a similar device called Rollr mini

http://www.amazon.in/Rollr-Location-.../dp/B01M0TY2MY

http://rollr.io/rollr-mini/

It has same features as Carnot and few other devices However I am returning it today because it's convenience is its biggest enemy. You can simply plug it in the OBD port and download the app to sync it with your credentials and start using..Great so far..However this plug n play also allows any body to just remove it from the OBD port like a pen drive

More over there is a green light blinking all the time which actually helps a thief to know that there is a device installed

The last but not the least ..In my car Verna (2009 model) ..The cover of the fusebox can't be closed after plugging this device

I would suggest something like AutoCop Pro

Also, experts please help in case you have any other solution in mind

Thanks

Cheers !
Old 7th May 2017, 22:37   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Have you tried geo-fencing and fuel cut-off features?

It has very few reviews and none are detailed. I'm assuming for live-tracking one would have to pay a third-party website who can track it for us?

Geofencing is useful only if it triggers a call, SMS might be missed when a person is sleeping, right?

The very few installation videos are only that are about cutting wires, doesn't look very safe, theoretically at least.
Old 9th May 2017, 22:56   #119
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
Have you tried geo-fencing and fuel cut-off features?

It has very few reviews and none are detailed. I'm assuming for live-tracking one would have to pay a third-party website who can track it for us?

Geofencing is useful only if it triggers a call, SMS might be missed when a person is sleeping, right?

The very few installation videos are only that are about cutting wires, doesn't look very safe, theoretically at least.
No, I did not use Geo-fencing. However regarding cutting wires, depends upon the unit. If you want to enable vehicle immobilization, you have to cut wires. Otherwise, you just need to take power from the Stereo connection. Its very safe.

That said, for tracking they do have a website, and so do many other providers. IF you have a large fleet you can run your own server(I ran mine on a 3$/month machine). 20$/month will get you a machine to run 100 users since you won't be storing much data. However you will need an IT guy. On a smaller scale, you can go with the local providers and that takes care of headache. It all depends upon how technically inclined you are, do you have a person available full time for server issues etc.,

My advice for concox was more from a private user POV. In that case most aliexpress sellers do give you a website where you can track for a small fee (First year is free)
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2017, 12:17   #120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No, I did not use Geo-fencing. However regarding cutting wires, depends upon the unit. If you want to enable vehicle immobilization, you have to cut wires. Otherwise, you just need to take power from the Stereo connection. Its very safe.
Thanks!

Couple of things though. What's your source of Concox being a reliable brand? Reason I ask is because the reviews are way too less, even on amazon.com. Reliability is must if anybody wishes to use the device's remote ability to cut fuel on command.

I had my Swift stolen and planning to get a used Fortuner next. Its another hot favourite among car jackers (especially in NCR area) and I would want to go all out this time steal-proofing the car (to whatever extent possible) - Steel Clutch Lock and a GPS based device among other things.

Now I saw many videos on kill switches and there's an LPG cylinder like knob that comes when someone wishes to restrict ignition. So an ignition based kill switch made maximum sense. However, that huge knob isn't easy to hide behind the dashboard. Then I landed upon some devices that claim to cut fuel using just an SMS, most convenient but the GT06N device full installation is scary as it does involve splicing wires.

Logically there's nothing wrong in doing that but since I'm now relying on an additional device to cut/allow fuel its reliability is of utmost importance. I mean its an electronic device after all so isn't the best bet to just stick with its GPS feature (and geo-fencing) so that I can track the vehicle if stolen, not sure whether an SMS would wake anybody though.

Wouldn't it make sense to have a manual kill switch which can restrict ignition or control fuel? I'm a little skeptic of electronics and would anyday prefer least interference from it. I think the only downside for an ignition based kill switch is that it'd reset the clock/ICE settings everytime but I could live with that.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks