Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th March 2012, 02:06   #76
BHPian

Re: Cedia sports price dropped to INR 7,99,000

Oh the Cedia, what I call one of the unsung heroes in the Indian Automobile scene. She sure is a beauty and at this price one can get a better deal from a used car! More bang for your buck. Only problem, not many owners are willing to part with this wonderful car!

Off topic: This was one of my choices when I was looking for a 'fun' car but could not find any owner with a well maintained piece. A rare breed this one.

Cheers!
Rohan
Old 7th March 2012, 11:05   #77
Senior - BHPian

@Poitive: I liked the picture of the rear suspension that you have posted here.

I haven't seen a similar photo featuring the Multi-link rear suspension of Cedia.
Old 7th March 2012, 11:17   #78
BHPian

Mouth watering prices! So is the old Lancer being finally done away with? I would be pleasantly surprised if the new Lancer is introduced shortly.

Now back to reality. Go ahead and buy the car - you'll love it every bit. Just make sure you ask the dealer what they plan to do about A.S.S? Also if they have a concrete plan to bring down prices of spares and/or procure parts from Japan faster? If these issues are addressed (I mean really addressed), this will be one great package.
Old 7th March 2012, 18:03   #79
BHPian

May be a basic question, but I want to undertand what is the benefit of having higher displacement. My 1200CC Vista does 65ps/96Nm whereas 999CC Wagon R does the same - 65ps/90Nm. Similarly,
- Vento Petrol is 1.6L engine and produces 105ps/153Nm
- Linea T-Jet is 1.4L but still does 114ps/207Nm
while the
- Cedia being a 2.0L engine produces 115ps/175N.
So, whats the benefit of having 2.0L litre engine in Cedia Sports when power outputs are almost same and differ only by a little margin? For the same/similar power figures, the car with higher displacement should be preferred or the lower, like in this case Linea T-Jet or Cedia?

Last edited by aniket.tiwari27 : 7th March 2012 at 18:26. Reason: Statement correction
Old 7th March 2012, 21:20   #80
Senior - BHPian

Mostly means a less stressed engine that can potter around without too much fuss. Turbo charged engines almost always have a lower life than NA engines.

Having driven all three, I can say that if you put them all on a dyno, without doubt the real world bhp at the wheels in the cedia will be significantly more than both the rapid and the linea. The same 4G94 block with a GDI head produces close to 150PS at roughly the same revs.

Last edited by reignofchaos : 7th March 2012 at 21:21.
Old 7th March 2012, 22:28   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniket.tiwari27 View Post
Linea T-Jet is 1.4L but still does 114ps/207Nm
This car is in a very different state of tune in its home market. The same engine does 150 horse power. This is a big number for a 1400cc block. The watered down version is still 118 horse power. We get, an even more watered down engine that does 112 horse power. Still, an achievement from such a small block.

The 1.4 Fiat engine has a long stroke too which explains the 4300rpm engine speeds when my car was doing 170kmph. This engine speed is in line to what a 2 liter block would be spinning at. Gearing counts too in this matter.

Engine's are going smaller and more efficient. Ford's revolutionary EcoBoost engine will be a close watch. 120 horse power from a 1000cc 3 cylinder is crazy power. Refinement and drive ability will be the big question.

The price dropped Cedia Sport is an awesome deal. I was considering it, when I was on the look out for a new drivers car. Dropped it as it is a very outdated model and HM Mitsubishi no longer build it as good as the initial batch of cars. The competition now offers superior and more advanced cars.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2012, 00:26   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan

The competition now offers superior and more advanced cars.
Which car in competition is superior and in what feature. Gear box, clutch, suspension, brakes, performance n handling, GC, turning radius, NVH. Though I have not driven all cars but I doubt any car can beat Cedia in more than any 2 features.
avimal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2012, 02:39   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
@Poitive: I liked the picture of the rear suspension that you have posted here.

I haven't seen a similar photo featuring the Multi-link rear suspension of Cedia.
Don't have such a picture of the Cedia, mate. But as being talked on that thread, it is a lot about how the suspension eventually feels and responds. Even the Indigo (pre-Manza) has a Multi-link (3 link) suspension but that suspension doesn't feel anywhere as good as many other "lesser" suspensions.

I presume others on the thread would be having Cedias. Someone may want to bend a little and take a snap - any Cedia fans here?

Quote:
May be a basic question, but I want to undertand what is the benefit of having higher displacement. My 1200CC Vista does 65ps/96Nm whereas 999CC Wagon R does the same - 65ps/90Nm. Similarly,
- Vento Petrol is 1.6L engine and produces 105ps/153Nm
- Linea T-Jet is 1.4L but still does 114ps/207Nm
while the
- Cedia being a 2.0L engine produces 115ps/175N.
So, whats the benefit of having 2.0L litre engine in Cedia Sports when power outputs are almost same and differ only by a little margin? For the same/similar power figures, the car with higher displacement should be preferred or the lower, like in this case Linea T-Jet or Cedia?
Just adding some points which might give a better perspective to the explanations.
  • If you'll note the Torque output is NOT similar and is increasing based on displacement, except the Turbo (T-jet) there.
  • The power figures are only the peak power figures. What you really are interested in is the relevant (used RPM) part under that Power curve (Power@RPM graph).
  • Newer technologies may often increase peak power; but not raise it across the RPM range, which is as relevant.
  • Turbo engines will typically produce a curve with a hill like surge, from the point the turbo kicks in. It would often not be too wide spread either. So what you will see would be the peak figures (power and torque). Now such a curve is fun to drive, as most of us love that surge. However, it can be very inconvenient to drive as the power is narrower, thereby needing more frequent gear changes, especially in lower displacement cars.
  • If you want to study this further (I doubt) - One interesting engine to look at is the one developed by Tata Indica, which was used with different types of Turbos on the Indigo. More power coming from the same engine. IIRC they even had the same basic combustion chamber for the petrol model as well (talk of economies of scale!)
  • Newer technologies, though often more FE, seem to be more focused on demand for better peak figures and probably benefiting financially from government norms (cars under a certain displacement having lesser levies).
  • Now, more specifically to your question - Benefit of a larger engine.
    • Usually a wider power and torque band
    • Usually easier engines to drive (wider power band = less gear changes)
    • The cars would usually be faster
    • Longer life (as they are less stressed)
    • Lesser difference in FE if driven hard or if driven for FE (this may be taken as a disadvantage; will be taking this up sometime on the Finally! thread linked above)
If other things are similar, I would any day prefer a higher displacement engine. As they say, there is no replacement for displacement

Edit: I am no expert on the subject and have shared things as I understand them. There is even a chance that may even be wrong (not too likely though). Would be happy to be corrected.

Last edited by Poitive : 8th March 2012 at 02:41.
Poitive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2012, 10:06   #84
BHPian

Guys, just a random thought. Though I will have to stretch my budget by about 4L, but when I am buying a Petrol, how about considering Laura TSI Active Variant?
Power figures are definitely higher on TSI with 160bhp/250Nm but where does Laura TSI stand in terms of handling, high speed cornering and performance when compared to Cedia?
Old 8th March 2012, 10:16   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Guys, just a random thought. Though I will have to stretch my budget by about 4L, but when I am buying a Petrol, how about considering Laura TSI Active Variant?
Power figures are definitely higher on TSI with 160bhp/250Nm but where does Laura TSI stand in terms of handling, high speed cornering and performance when compared to Cedia?
I would say go for the Laura if you can. The handling is up there with the best. The engine is a gem, way more powerful than the cedia. The only thing to worry about is the A.S.S.
Old 8th March 2012, 11:41   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by shivasuma View Post
I would say go for the Laura if you can. The handling is up there with the best. The engine is a gem, way more powerful than the cedia. The only thing to worry about is the A.S.S.
If you can stretch your budget then Laura is a better choice IMO. Its a modern car compared to Cedia. If you are buying a Skoda in Pune, then go through some of the dealership threads on the forum. People have faced issues with Skoda Europa dealership.

IMO this discussion is going slightly off-topic. Why not start a thread in What Car section. I am sure you will receive enough pointers to make the correct decision.
Old 8th March 2012, 16:05   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avimal View Post
Though I have not driven all cars but I doubt any car can beat Cedia in more than any 2 features.
Neither have I. The statement was generalized considering cars that are sold today are more up to date or current models. Why would I consider buying a car that is 6 years old (probably more) as a model.

I can't comment on all points you have asked. What I can say is, structurally, the Fiat Linea, VW Vento, Skoda Rapid and Ford Fiesta are ahead.

On the performance front I can easily say the engine on the Fiat Linea T Jet is in another league. It does about the same power as the block on the Cedia and produces more torque. This is from an engine that is down by 600cc.

Not a good comparison but matters as the car is from the same segment. The performance numbers for a Skoda Rapid TDI is just insane for a diesel car. This is a very big stride for diesel engine technology.
Old 8th March 2012, 18:31   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
What I can say is, structurally, the Fiat Linea, VW Vento, Skoda Rapid and Ford Fiesta are ahead.
Please explain.

Quote:
On the performance front I can easily say the engine on the Fiat Linea T Jet is in another league. It does about the same power as the block on the Cedia and produces more torque. This is from an engine that is down by 600cc.
Down by 600cc but sporting a Turbo. Turbo and NA engine can't be compared. Can they be? Install a turbo on that 2 litre Mitsu and these comparisons will be a history. No?
Quote:
Not a good comparison but matters as the car is from the same segment.
Sorry to say but yes, not a good comparison. Plus, I feel that Linea is in upper C segment and the Cedia is in lower D.

UPDATE:

Dealership at Bhopal here is near dead. They do not have a TD vehicle. Or one on display. Plus the sales guy says that this new model is being called CEDIA std. and not the Sports. Also, he says there is no rear spoiler on offer. Is it true? That spoiler looks cool and I do not plan to spend extra on getting it fitted after the car has been bought.

Last edited by YC.BALENO.CHD : 8th March 2012 at 18:40.
Old 8th March 2012, 19:18   #89
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

The cut price cedia very much has all round skirting and spoilers.
Old 8th March 2012, 20:45   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC.BALENO.CHD View Post
Please explain.
Just shut the doors of any of the cars I have mentioned and tell me what you think. I can't explain any further.

As I own a Linea and have experienced a little of a Cedia, I can easily say that the Linea is a stronger car.

Quote:
Down by 600cc but sporting a Turbo. Turbo and NA engine can't be compared.
In this case, why not. The Mitsubishi has a capacity advantage. In spite of the turbo on the Linea, it still develops lower power than the Mistsubishi.

Quote:
Install a turbo on that 2 litre Mitsu and these comparisons will be a history. No?
Yes. Lets stick to cars being stock.

Quote:
That spoiler looks cool and I do not plan to spend extra on getting it fitted after the car has been bought.
You sound like you are going to buy this car. Please explore the various options in the segment before you put your money down. I can assure you, there are better cars for similar money.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks