I will remove it before the deadline (from a shop) 73 8.99%
I will ground my car and wait & watch for the order to change 375 46.18%
Mine are factory fitted and I can't remove them 39 4.80%
Voters: 812. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2012, 23:44   #76
BHPian

re: Your reaction to the Sun Film Verdict? EDIT - Ban in effect post 25th July judgement

We've not exactly grounded our cars, because the cops in Kerala don't seem to have heard of this. And they're usually very enthusiastic about fining for minor traffic violations while totally ignoring the killer buses and trucks on our roads. They should have a field day once they start fining for sun films as almost everyone here uses them thanks to the tropical sun. It's not uncommon to find reflective films even on the front windshield (I've always wondered how people drive at night with those on). But I have seen some people getting their tints removed at neighbourhood garages, which charge 200-300 rupees for the job. I'm waiting till I get fined at least once or the court order is stayed, whichever happens earlier.
Old 17th May 2012, 00:52   #77
Senior - BHPian

re: Your reaction to the Sun Film Verdict? EDIT - Ban in effect post 25th July judgement

I am unable to vote as...

I will drive my car with (RTO Approved as per installer) sunfilm until it is removed by cops
or
will remove them after paying 1st penalty
or
hope to get them cleared by the cop as light (till the review petition judgement comes) and remove after reconfirmation by honourable SC

are not in the options list.

The reason for the same is that as most of the people are hopeful of getting some relief by Hon' SC.
I personally appreciate the explanations given in detail by PatchBoy but still hoping against hope because I generally put Garware classic (Rs.1500-2000 range) but this time I have put 3m for first time on my T-Jet (for Rs.4300) only three months back.

Last edited by carwatcher : 17th May 2012 at 00:53.
Old 17th May 2012, 09:48   #78
BHPian

In my case was planning to get sunfilms installed, even went to 3M centre couple of weeks ago to check out the options and prices (seemed expensive but that's a different story now ). I didnt have films for last 8 years, was always worried about the visibility but wifey was asking to get it done (we felt it's required for the heat reduction and some privacy).

For once the procrastination worked out - am now waiting further, hopefully this ruling will be reversed and courts will allow films within the 'RTO approved limits'.
Old 17th May 2012, 10:05   #79

My new 2012 Swift has green tinted glass but it doesn't appear to help with heat reduction from direct sunlight. I am wondering whether it is okay to still go ahead and install at least some specific sun films for heat reduction rather than darker ones.

Last edited by GTO : 18th May 2012 at 10:57. Reason: Removing FONT tags. Please do NOT cut-copy-paste from other softwares. It results in a formatting error
Old 17th May 2012, 10:13   #80
BHPian

so far nothing in Chennai! just came in todays papers about sun-film..will wait & watch what happens! so unfair to ask people to remove incase the sunfilm is not above limits!
Old 17th May 2012, 10:18   #81
Senior - BHPian

I am in a wait and watch and remove before deadline mode. My recently bought Figo diesel is my main km runner and actually has darker than legal limit tints. So I am planning to get those removed. For my Ikon with legal limit films which is used once or twice a week, I am going to be in wait and watch mode and may remove eventually if cops are seriously implementing the rule.

I personally doubt this ruling will get reversed coming from SC, but even if there is some temp stay on it in July, its still 2 months away and not worth getting harassed by cops esp cause my wife also drives the car quite a bit.
Old 17th May 2012, 10:56   #82
BHPian

Living in Chandigarh does limit my options when it comes to adhering to traffic rules. So i had no choice but to remove my films. However i refuse to remove the film from my front windscreen as its summer time and my AC is not working.

It is kind of an arbitrary judgement on the part of the honorable Supreme Court. it shows the lack of common understanding on the part of the bench. However rules are rules and I cannot really do much about it since I live in Chandigarh and my car is registered with a HP registration number
Old 17th May 2012, 10:57   #83
BHPian

Hi All, please don't wait for the cop to catch you and remove the sunfilm from your car. Here is my sad story.. Last monday I had to drive to Pondicherry up and down from Chennai. In Pondicherry, on the signal of the junction where one is the Cadalore road where Pondicherry RTO office is location, cops caught me for having a dark sunfilm in my swift. I had smoke-6 (40% transparent). They said that as per court order, the permitted limit is 70% transparent on front and back windsheilds and 50% transparent on side windows. They said that as per court order, they have to remove it now and after argument, they removed the sunfilm only on the driver side front window. They have removed it in such a mess and now it is so hard to drive. I have to now land up in a shop to remove it properly. I was waiting to do it myself but DIY became DIT (Do It Themself).

It is worth spending some money in removing it by proper hands than letting (i can't stop myself from saying this) those monkeys to play around with the sunfilm on your car and the hard earned money you invested on installing the sunfilm. 'You will be satisfied on throwing the money yourself into a well than letting it being stolen'.
Old 17th May 2012, 10:57   #84
Senior - BHPian

Well yesterday got the 5months old films form 3M removed, the car is back to how I got it from the dealer The glass does have a light greenish tint but that can be observed only from certain angles.
Old 17th May 2012, 11:04   #85
Senior - BHPian

I am still driving around with tints and will continue to do so until i get caught and the tints are removed by the cops themselves.
Old 17th May 2012, 11:07   #86
BHPian

I was planning to get my sunfilm done for this summer for my safari which is has no sunfilms or tint what soever to beat the heat. However my lazyness got the better of me and I did not get it done. And finally one day I woke up early to get it done and that is the day I hear the news of the SC judgement. I just went back to sleep thanking my stars that saved me about 4K Rs

By the time court orders stay, it will be monsoon time again and I dont need sunfilms again upto the next year
Old 17th May 2012, 11:10   #87
BHPian

I just spent 13K on 3m films about a month back before this verdict came, sorry I ain't going to loose my film without a fight. They are not that dark and I'm hoping Bangalore cops dont create much fuss on 19th May. Precautionary measures would be to cycle/take bus to office for a couple of days/week, have a wait and watch policy and then decide.
Old 17th May 2012, 11:16   #88
BHPian

Hello PlatzdaTurbo

I had also Lumar steel 20 on my swift , i removed it last week from side door windows . Now i can feel , how much heat it used to block .

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatzdaTurbo View Post
Part with the film on my car ?? Yeah right !
I took my sweet time to select THE perfect shade of tint for the Audi and they add a lot (and i mean a LOTT) of character to the already good looking car besides reducing glare from the sun.
Steel 20s ! ...no way in hell am i in any mood to get rid of them. I will drive around in my other cars (which also have tints) should they begin a crackdown.
So far though there is nothing serious happening around so no worries.
Old 17th May 2012, 11:21   #89
SDP
Team-BHP Support

I am planning to wait and watch and not ground the car. With the temperatures in Mumbai soaring every day now, this could possibly be the worst time of the year to implement the no-films verdict.

If the removal cost at the accessories shop is Rs200 and the fine for non-compliance is 100Rs, I can afford a couple of tickets before I take the DIY route

Edit: Corrected a spelling. Thanks sgiitk for bringing it to my notice!

Last edited by SDP : 17th May 2012 at 11:32.
Old 17th May 2012, 11:23   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithless_1984 View Post
I am still driving around with tints and will continue to do so until i get caught and the tints are removed by the cops themselves.
Whoever said the cops will remove it for you. All they will do keep fining you until your license is revoked. So dont wait for that to happen.

I havent faced any issues till date as far as the sun films is concerned since I had got the RTO approved one (well within limits) sun films. On safer side I have kept in the car the bill of the sunfilm which specifically says "RTO approved sunfilm of model XXXXXX".
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks