Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2011, 11:56   #1726
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanchari View Post
I am looking to purchase a scooty for my dad. He isn't very tall, and I need something which is not too tall, and isn't very heavy.
You can look at the Mahindra Flyte and Rodeo. Very peppy and nice scoots which are not heavy and have a 125 cc engine which will aid in case 2 people are riding. Telescopic shocks upfront will ensure the ride on pot holed roads is less tiring and also aids a bit in handling.

Not sure of Scooty streak and its maintenance. Other members might be able to shed some light on the matter.
Old 28th July 2011, 12:05   #1727
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
You can look at the Mahindra Flyte and Rodeo. Very peppy and nice scoots which are not heavy and have a 125 cc engine which will aid in case 2 people are riding. Telescopic shocks upfront will ensure the ride on pot holed roads is less tiring and also aids a bit in handling.

Not sure of Scooty streak and its maintenance. Other members might be able to shed some light on the matter.
The Mahindras may be a bit lighter than the others, but nowhere near the Scootys, Pep+, Streak or Teenz. The Mahindras on the other hand are very peppy and take speed more easily, but also are very low on mileage.

How can you say, not sure of the Scooty Streak maintainance. The Streak is a different body version of the Pep/Pep+, which is a very very successful and reliable model from TVS. The Teenz is basicicaaly an Evolution of the basic Scooty/ Scooty+ models and is more than a decade and half old almost. All the Scooty's are supremely reliable.
Old 28th July 2011, 12:42   #1728
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post
How can you say, not sure of the Scooty Streak maintainance. The Streak is a different body version of the Pep/Pep+, which is a very very successful and reliable model from TVS. The Teenz is basicicaaly an Evolution of the basic Scooty/ Scooty+ models and is more than a decade and half old almost. All the Scooty's are supremely reliable.
Agree with most of the above. But just because it is a different body version will not mean it will not have any issues. Sanchari in his post has said that he has read reports of maintenance issues. I cannot discount that and say everything is fine with Scooty when I dont have first/second hand experience with it.

And i think i was not clear in my previous post. I meant to say, I am not aware of what the issues with maintenance of the Scooty streak might be and hence wait for other members to comment.

Quote:
Old 28th July 2011, 12:50   #1729
Senior - BHPian

Yes, but something that has sold in numbers as high as the Scooty, both 4 and 2stroke, is not likely to have any major maintainance issue that havent been resolved in the almost decade long sales history. If they did, they couldnt be a success for as long as these models have been.

Of course every vehicle has certain amount of maintainance required, especially after you have run them for large amount of miles.
Old 28th July 2011, 22:06   #1730
BHPian

Thanks guys. I am not bothered as much about speed and the "peppy-ness" as much as I am about it having good handling, low-maintenance, and good mileage. My father drives only around 40-50kmph at the max, so I am not very concerned about the speed. And since he is in his sixties, I wanted something light so that he didn't have to put in more effort.

There were some streak engine maintenance issues that I read on autos.maxabout.com. So was curious about other people's experience here on team-bhp. I am fine with other scooty variants too. Just wanted some info on which version of scooty is better.
Old 29th July 2011, 09:18   #1731
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Just wanted some info on which version of scooty is better.
TVS spares can be pricey - at least I found it out the hard way when I gave in my Pep for maintenance.

I got a starter bendix changed - cost me a whooping 1200 bucks.

The engine of the Streak is good ; just check cost of spares like brake and clutch liners , cables and if you're OK with that then go ahead
Old 29th July 2011, 09:54   #1732
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks guys. I am not bothered as much about speed and the "peppy-ness" as much as I am about it having good handling, low-maintenance, and good mileage. My father drives only around 40-50kmph at the max, so I am not very concerned about the speed. And since he is in his sixties, I wanted something light so that he didn't have to put in more effort.

There were some streak engine maintenance issues that I read on autos.maxabout.com. So was curious about other people's experience here on team-bhp. I am fine with other scooty variants too. Just wanted some info on which version of scooty is better.
The Scooty streak is pretty much the same as the Scooty Pep, like I said before, and it meets your needs perfectly. Dont worry about maintainance at all, they are perfectly reliable. My neighbours have bought 3 Scooty peps over the last 6 years.
Old 29th July 2011, 10:11   #1733
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am looking to purchase a scooty for my dad. He isn't very tall, and I need something which is not too tall, and isn't very heavy.
Scooty Pep+ or Scooty Streak.

Essentially, both are the same. The streak has a different styling, in my opinion, more flashy, while the Pep+ is just good looking and nothing more.

Quote:
Is it a good choice? Has TVS changed anything in the scooty recently? I was seeing some reports that said that the streak had some maintenance issues. Which model of scooty is low maintenance and has decent mileage? What is the realistic mileage that others are getting on scooty?
Not sure of Scooty Streak, but I can assure you that Scooty Pep+ is truly VFM, and easy on maintenance. Your requirements are strikingly similar to what my mom had 6 years ago (and even now). She rides a Scooty Pep+. The Activa, Nova, Pleasure were all chucked out for the very reason that they are heavy compared to the Scooty. Still runs fine. Haven't bothered to check the mileage, but I'm sure she doesn't spend a lot on petrol, for her ~15km ride every day.

Replaced the tyres, overhauled front shocks and repaired some miscellaneous stuff very recently, for around 3k in all. Considering the pot-holed roads that the vehicle runs on, I won't be surprised about the shocks. Engine, electricals are all perfect.

Last edited by silversteed : 29th July 2011 at 10:25.
Old 2nd August 2011, 13:25   #1734
BHPian

Good news: Activa delivered in less than one month flat (Pashankar Auto, JM Road, Pune)

Had booked the Geny Grey Activa on 4th July 2011 for my wife with full payment and was given a time of 2 months for delivery. Got the bike yesterday evening home. Did a small pooja and clicked some snaps. Will post it on a new thread over the weekend along with buying experience !

Thank you all on TBHP and especially this thread which made it very easy to drill down on buying this piece of beauty.
Old 2nd August 2011, 13:59   #1735
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
Not sure of Scooty Streak, but I can assure you that Scooty Pep+ is truly VFM, and easy on maintenance. Your requirements are strikingly similar to what my mom had 6 years ago (and even now). She rides a Scooty Pep+. The Activa, Nova, Pleasure were all chucked out for the very reason that they are heavy compared to the Scooty. Still runs fine. Haven't bothered to check the mileage, but I'm sure she doesn't spend a lot on petrol, for her ~15km ride every day.
My Wife has a Scooty Streak. It is more than 2 years old now (bought in March 2009). I have had no issue with maintenance until now. All the services has been done on time now. The only extra costs are on 3M Wax polish (wants it to be Shiny as new)
The bike is as zippy as before. Only problem is the range. The bike does not have a very big fuel tank she needs to fuel it often. Also, since the fuel inlet is connected to the tank by a curved pipe, need to be very careful while fueling by not pumping fuel faster.
Old 2nd August 2011, 17:28   #1736
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-rare-one View Post
Good news: Activa delivered in less than one month flat (Pashankar Auto, JM Road, Pune)

Had booked the Geny Grey Activa on 4th July 2011 for my wife with full payment and was given a time of 2 months for delivery. Got the bike yesterday evening home. Did a small pooja and clicked some snaps. Will post it on a new thread over the weekend along with buying experience !

Thank you all on TBHP and especially this thread which made it very easy to drill down on buying this piece of beauty.
Congratulations @ rare one. Thats pretty much fast getting the vehicle within one month time which has a waiting period of min 3 months is a rarity and rightly suits the rare one.

We need the pics of the Activa ASAP. Whats the OTR cost of the vehicle? Whom did you take the insurance from - was it from dealer or on your own? Pls fill in the details.
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2011, 14:16   #1737
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Congratulations @ rare one. Thats pretty much fast getting the vehicle within one month time which has a waiting period of min 3 months is a rarity and rightly suits the rare one.

We need the pics of the Activa ASAP. Whats the OTR cost of the vehicle? Whom did you take the insurance from - was it from dealer or on your own? Pls fill in the details.
Thanks Ghodlur ! Yes I was amazed and shocked when I got the call from the showroom telling me that the scoot has arrived. The waiting period though told 6 months generally, people are getting the scoot in about 4 months and lucky me I made the full payment for priority and Honda took care . (the-rare-one is cause of my car - see my signature for details)

Pics and other details will be uploaded over the weekend for sure. The on road cost was Rs. 51739 for the scoot with std accessories (2 mirrors, side stand and number plates). I bought the extended warranty (Rs. 600 - 3 years addon, so total of 5 years now), lady footrest (Rs. 450 something) and front lockable storage box (Rs. 765 something) additionally.

EDIT: The insurance was from the showroom - ICICI Lombard for Rs.1267 with zero depreciation.

Last edited by the-rare-one : 3rd August 2011 at 14:21. Reason: missed insurance info
Old 3rd August 2011, 20:45   #1738
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-rare-one View Post
Thanks Ghodlur ! Yes I was amazed and shocked when I got the call from the showroom telling me that the scoot has arrived. The waiting period though told 6 months generally, people are getting the scoot in about 4 months and lucky me I made the full payment for priority and Honda took care . (the-rare-one is cause of my car - see my signature for details)

Pics and other details will be uploaded over the weekend for sure. The on road cost was Rs. 51739 for the scoot with std accessories (2 mirrors, side stand and number plates). I bought the extended warranty (Rs. 600 - 3 years addon, so total of 5 years now), lady footrest (Rs. 450 something) and front lockable storage box (Rs. 765 something) additionally.

EDIT: The insurance was from the showroom - ICICI Lombard for Rs.1267 with zero depreciation.
I dont know if taking extended warranty is a good choice since I feel so now after taking it. The original warranty does not cover some basic critical components like the suspension, taking an extended warranty is I feel a wastage of money (personal opinion).

I think for that money getting anti rust under body coating is good option.
Old 5th August 2011, 12:16   #1739
Distinguished - BHPian

Any feedback on which gearless scooter to buy out of the current gen? Is Piaggio coming out with something soon?
Old 5th August 2011, 13:07   #1740
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Any feedback on which gearless scooter to buy out of the current gen? Is Piaggio coming out with something soon?
Of the present gen, IMO TVS Wego is a good choice as expressed by most owners. Its a relatively new scooter and is seen a good competitor to the exsting market leader the Honda Activa.

There are talks about Piaggio coming, even Yamaha was to launch its scooter range but it wil be another couple of years before we see anything.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks