Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd October 2012, 18:24   #256
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Nano : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by mittal_v2002 View Post

I am more interested in PLATI alloys, still need to check the pricing etc. with them with the local dealer.
Hmm yes, PLATI alloys look much better, but it will void your warranty with regards to components related to tyre.

Do keep us posted about the cost of plati alloys and if there is more than one pattern for it.
Old 23rd October 2012, 12:41   #257
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
Hmm yes, PLATI alloys look much better, but it will void your warranty with regards to components related to tyre.

Do keep us posted about the cost of plati alloys and if there is more than one pattern for it.
Why would putting a non OEM alloys void my warranty ? I even heard that if I get an Audio system fitted outside, it will void electrical warranty ? That is not understandable ?

so would that mean getting a car wash outside will void the warranty for paint job.. ..

anyway, will keep you posted if I get Plati.
Old 23rd October 2012, 17:09   #258
BHPian

Its a difficult game for TATA. No matter what they do. First they position Nano as common man's car, and now cost goes upto 2.5L on road. No luck yet, and Tata adds premium touches in special edition like Alloy wheels and Music system to woo the customer. They launch Aria as a premium crossover, and eventually launch a people mover version at 9.95L. This strategy wont work Tata, why are you guys so confused?

Learn how to strike a right note from Maruti. Alto 800, 17000 cars booked. Malappuram Maruti dealer manager to deliver 200 Alto 800s in a single day.
Old 16th November 2012, 15:23   #259
Senior - BHPian

The Nano limited version does offer some real practical equipment list of which the glove box, stereo and alloys are serious VFM.

Now the question is will Tata offer the glovebox as a standard equipment even after this limited run. This has been the rant of many Nano owners to get a lockable glove box and it would be a much needed addition which should be added to atlest the Lx and Cx variants in the future.
Old 20th November 2012, 14:44   #260
BHPian

To add to this review, I picked up a used 2010 Sunshine Yellow Nano LX as a first car for my wife. The car was owned by a gentleman whose garage has three other cars (Innova, Corolla & I10) and hence was not being used much. It had done just 1500 Km in the 2 years. It came with a Tata branded stereo with CD, USB and Aux, along with floor mats and mirrors on both sides.

When I got the car these were the problems noticed and fixed:
  1. Clutch was very hard – Changed clutch cable under warranty
  2. Hand brake was sticking – Lubricated clutch cable
  3. Quite a bit of rattling in the car – Mainly from the dash mounted speakers, moving them to the doors solved most of the problem
  4. AC was noisy and the airflow was low. – Changed cabin AC filter
  5. Highbeam switch not engaging – Changed the combination switch under warranty
  6. The engine itself had not really opened up and was still new. - I have run the car for another 1000 Km including a GQ run of around 350 Km.
  7. Steering – The wheel felt strange and hard to hold so got a leather hand stitched cover along with the horn pad, hand brake and gear knob.
  8. Horn – Was very squeaky and not good enough so was replaced with a pair of Roots horns
Some observations:
  1. Engine: + : The engine is a gem will rev up to the redline without protest and capable of taking the car to its top speed. A little low on torque in lower rpms but that could be just from driving my other car (Baleno).
  2. Steering: +: The steering is not really heavy at anything but almost 0 speeds. It is quite precise and responsive up until about 90kmph. I have used my palm to spin the steering in U turns.
  3. Clutch: - : The clutch itself is fine the major villain here is cable or more specifically faulty routing leading to friction. The result is that you cannot feel the clutch at all and is very hard to master.
  4. Gearbox: + - : The throw and slotting is good and the box is great for a car of this price range and of course better than my Baleno’s box. It definitely cries for another gear the 1st and 2nd are short with a large gap to 3rd and the 4th is an over drive and sometimes struggles up grade separator ramps. An evenly spaced 5 speed box would have been great.
  5. Lighting: + : Lighting is great when combined with the fog lamps. I feel that the height of the headlight mounting is the main factor for beam spread.
  6. Ride: - : The ride is bumpy and there is a lot of pitching because of the short wheelbase.
  7. Handling: + : Handling is surprisingly good considering the tall stance. On my highway run I had to take to the service roads due to some widening work, I could take the slip roads as fast as any other car on the road. It handles fine till about 90 kmph but gets wishy washy after that, I refer to a slightly hollow feel in the center. It is also affected greatly by cross winds.
  8. Brakes: - + : The brakes are typical small car brakes no feel and grabby. They are actually quite adequate in normal circumstances and if you have driven an older generation car and know how to pump the brakes you can get good retardation. In a panic situation the brakes are completely inadequate and will tend to lock up on hard braking.
  9. Mileage: + -:I am currently getting 15/16 in the city and 20 on the highway with a/c all the time. I expect that this will improve once the car runs about 7/8 k.
  10. Space: + : Space is unreal for this segment.
Future plans:
  • Upholstery: Need to get leather or PU seat covers as the current ones tend to get very dirty. I have sprayed it down with 3M Scotch guard for now. Funnily, I don’t face this problem with my Baleno’s factory fitted velvet seat covers that are now 9 years old.
  • Glove Boxes: Need to get a pair of glove boxes that are now available as an accessory
  • Power window switch: I plan to mount an alternate switch for the driver’s side power window in parallel as reaching the current one is a pain.
  • Alloys: Will consider this if my wife plans to keep the car for a while.
Service Experience:
The service experience was not as scary as expected. There is an honest effort to fix the problems but the service centers do not have the bandwidth to handle number of cars or the number of problems they come with.
Though they fixed most of the major problems I had to come back at 7.30 pm without the glove boxes or the accessories socket that I had asked for and upon checking at home, found that the oil level was still just at the minimum level after the supposed top up.
ssingri is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th November 2012, 15:51   #261
BHPian

Anybody has any clues on whether Tata will be releasing a power steering version of the Nano anytime soon?

Would have loved a auto + power steering version option but that would be a long shot.

Cheers
Old 20th November 2012, 18:05   #262
BHPian

They are working towards an EPS (Electronic Power Steering) for ALL their vehicles.
Nano, Indica & Manza.

But atleast 6 months away.

I have booked a Special Edition LX. Delivery within this week.

Will start a new ownership thread by 1st week of December.
Old 20th November 2012, 19:58   #263
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhawald3 View Post
Booked Sunshine yellow Nano-LX, from Aadya motors Bangalore.

on road road price 252000, includes Dussera offer of 4 alloys + music system + L & R glove box + body graphics.
Congratulations!!! I booked one too!

Quote:
Thanks HoneyBee.

Just coming back from TATA showroom. This is what I noticed in the limited edition.

1. Dashboard is consumed by the glove boxes. The one parked there had Beige interior, but black glove box, that was looking kinda odd. The Sales person told me that they have beige glove boxes as well, if I want.

2. The speakers are fitted in the front door pockets.. and were nicely placed there..

3. Glove box on the driver side is lockable, where as the other just has a snap door.

4. The alloys are exactly the same as on the poster provide by someone a few posts above. TATA has other patterns, but the special edition will come with this design only. No choice here.

5. The front seat has a lot of front to back movement and even after stretching the seat to farthest on the back side, there was decent leg space at the rear.

6. The rear seat width is very less, may be going for custom seat covers with extra padding for all seats will do the trick.

7. Steering wheel was too low, but may be my wife (5'2") may like that. She is yet to see the car.

8. Did not take the test drive. will go tomorrow with wife for the same. and as you mentioned, perhaps may not need the PS. if wifey is comfortable I have no qualms. ..

9. Rear parcel tray is standard accessory.

10. Price: 2.40 L for Special edition. The sales person is claiming that the accessories are worth 25K. + I will get a TATA employee discount of 15K + 5K welcome Bonus (if I have a 2 wheeler, and yes I do have 2 of these, this one is a dealer specific discount).

11. If I am not interested in taking Special edition, then it will be 2.40L - (25K (TATA Employee discount) + 5K Welcome Bonus).

12. Zero Dep insurance will cost an extra 3K. 20K Km/4year maintenance pkg will cost extra 3200/-.
Yup. I gotta similar deal.

Imagine - 5000 Rs. welcome bonus - If you or ANYONE in your family owns a 2 wheeler! (you need the RC book & Ration Card to prove you are related) How cool is that!

Sorry, I should have posted here much earlier.

I have been posting in another Nano thread.

I guess - the brochure has already been updated.

I have booked LX Special Edition. White colour.

Delivery within this week & a definite ownership thread in 1st week of December.

My Nano cost 2,47,147 on Road.

Inclusive of Insurance.
&
Complete AMC for 3 years / 20,000 kms - which covers almost everything possible (AC gas to clutch to brakes) except tyres. for 3100 Rs.

Doctor's discount of 3000. Rs.

Also - some scheme from 1st November to 14th November - 2 gms Gold Coin gift (Tanishq). So that's another 6k off.

Here are some pics of the Special Edition.

Tata Nano : Test Drive & Review-img20121112wa0012.jpg

Tata Nano : Test Drive & Review-img20121112wa0013.jpg

Tata Nano : Test Drive & Review-img20121112wa0014.jpg

Tata Nano : Test Drive & Review-img20121120wa0008.jpg

Tata Nano : Test Drive & Review-img20121120wa0011.jpg

& here is what I intend to do to my Nano.

Tata Nano : Test Drive & Review-tata_nanophoto1000x513thumb616xauto29560.jpg

Tata Nano : Test Drive & Review-lenonanao3505_051512123109.jpg

Tata Nano : Test Drive & Review-lenotatanano.jpg

Tata Nano : Test Drive & Review-tatananojayleno_560x420.jpg

Some pics of 1 creative guy had done to his Nano. Spoiler. Skirts. Special bumpers & Decals. Cost him 80k approx.

Tata Nano : Test Drive & Review-20121109_172326-2.jpg

Tata Nano : Test Drive & Review-20121109_172336-2.jpg

My friend is also contemplating on buying 1.
I shall be more than happy to answer any queries as I just booked one after checking with 2 dealers & 4 test drives.

I am in LOVE with the car. It is really an engineering marvel!

This will be our 2nd Tata 'Special Edition'.
Already have a Celebration Edition Tata Indigo Manza Elan Quadrajet90 since a year.

Detailed Ownership thread: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...n-edition.html
Dr.Suraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th November 2012, 20:31   #264
BHPian

Quote:
Why would putting a non OEM alloys void my warranty ? I even heard that if I get an Audio system fitted outside, it will void electrical warranty ? That is not understandable ?

so would that mean getting a car wash outside will void the warranty for paint job.. ..

anyway, will keep you posted if I get Plati.
Hi, well fitting an aftermarket audio system wont void your warranty unless you cut the original wiring. I have a 2012 Nano LX with a pioneer HU and rockford fosgates co-axials in the rear parcel tray. The stock parcel tray had to be made stronger so we added another MDF tray to it. Its been six months now, no issues at all and it sounds much much better than the crappy stock audio system which TATA provides. Hope this answers your question
Old 20th November 2012, 22:03   #265
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Suraj
.....& here is what I intend to do to my Nano.

Some pics of 1 creative guy had done to his Nano. Spoiler. Skirts. Special bumpers & Decals. Cost him 80k approx....
Will the Indian flag create any legal issues? Also, if I may suggest, just get the sides done. Didn't like it on the front though.

And the pappaya orange car looks SMOKIN HOT! It shows how tasteful modifications can make a car look sexy! Do you have more pics of it?

Questions:

1. Nano interiors come in just beige color?
2. Doesn't the dash reflect badly on to the screen?
3. Are the tyre sizes different on the limited edition as well (front & back)?
Old 22nd November 2012, 08:39   #266
BHPian

I am having trouble with my Nano as it refuses to start at first crank and starts only after good 6-8 attempts. Had the same experience last winter also.
What could be the possible issues here?
Old 23rd November 2012, 18:42   #267
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Will the Indian flag create any legal issues? Also, if I may suggest, just get the sides done. Didn't like it on the front though.

And the pappaya orange car looks SMOKIN HOT! It shows how tasteful modifications can make a car look sexy! Do you have more pics of it?

Questions:

First the answer to your questions:

1. Nano CX & Nano come in black dashboards. Nano LX specifically beige and limited edition has black glove boxes.

2. Reflection like all cars - moderate. But not so much an issue in Nano because of the seating - quite erect - and large-ish windscreen. Reflection in the lower 1/5th of the screen.

3. To the best of my knowledge the tyres are still different in the front & back.
Rear - larger than the front. (to accommodate engine weight I am told)
Spare wheel of same size as rear.

Thank you for your opinion on the decals.

I have bad news - Tata Motors rejected my appeal - this design is their proprietary design and they are using this on all the event / demo Nano cars outside India.
Thus I cannot even opt to use the ditto same pattern - even if I get it sourced from some other decal manufacturer.

As for the Indian flag - I intend to use ONLY the stripes of saffron & green.
No chakra. No blue. (MNS guys do that).

I believe that should not be a problem as it is just a 2 colour stripe and not necessarily implicating the National flag.

And I have to think of some other pattern now.

So - if anyone here knows of some seriously good decal manufacturer - customized decals in Mumbai. Please let me know.
I am going to think of some other way to do this.

P.S. Sorry could only click 2 pics of it then.
If it's still there when I go back - will definitely click more and post it here.
Thank you for your well meaning advice!
Dr.Suraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2012, 17:42   #268
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post

Questions:

As expected the saffron & green stripes got rejected. Tata legal issues.
Checked again today at delivery - tyres still unequal.
Will post sizes in the review coming soon.

Specially for you and everyone here - clicked additional pics of that wonderful car.

Decals & Body kits : contact Mr. Tushar or Mr. Prashant @ Concorde Motors : 9820397443

Tata Nano : Test Drive & Review-20121127_120616.jpg

Tata Nano : Test Drive & Review-20121127_120636.jpg

Tata Nano : Test Drive & Review-20121127_120651.jpg

Tata Nano : Test Drive & Review-20121127_120700.jpg

Tata Nano : Test Drive & Review-20121127_120709.jpg

Tata Nano : Test Drive & Review-20121127_120719.jpg
Dr.Suraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2012, 22:31   #269
Senior - BHPian

Dr. Suraj, the LX Nano dashboard reflects very badly into the windscreen, a good 1/3rd of the useful screen area (I am excluding the top few inches which can only be used to watch the sky).

I am curious to know if the body kit would hamper the Nano's ability to tread on the bad roads. Do you think there's any chance it will scrape against the bad roads?

The glove boxes are of a very bad quality, and I have more storage space without the boxes on my dash. I can stow away my SLR onto it safely. This would definitely not be possible with the glove boxes. So my suggestion would be to get rid of them.
Old 29th November 2012, 09:01   #270
BHPian

Quote:
I am more interested in PLATI alloys, still need to check the pricing etc. with them with the local dealer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post

A picture of the NEO wheels on my Nano
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Nano : Test Drive & Review-pic-5463.jpg  

Mirage is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks