Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2007, 07:40   #16
Team-BHP Support

Yesterday there was a 9 hour traffic jam at Shiradi Ghat, I met one of the guy who was stuck in this jam, he had breakfast at 4PM. Everybody please avoid this route if possible.
Old 9th July 2007, 08:18   #17
Senior - BHPian

oh thats bad news I don't understand why they didn't improve that route, I travelled by that highway in 2003 end that time it was nice road. Latesr on heard really bad stories and I avoided that road everytime I travelled that area.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 9th July 2007, 08:54   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandan View Post
Finally,the culprits are off NH48......Iron ore trucks have been stopped on this route to prevent further damage.Hopefully,we will have good roads by the year end.But God save the alternate route these truckers are using.
Chandan, that will only mean some other route will be demolished fully by these iron ore trucks.

They should atleast move all the LPG shipment via goods train. I heard that goods train service has started on the M'lore-Hassan-B'lore route.

Of course, God only knows when the passenger train service will start. There was talk of starting it when I was a kid!! 30 years later, it hasnt started yet !!

Last edited by spadival : 9th July 2007 at 08:58.
Old 9th July 2007, 09:15   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
Of course, God only knows when the passenger train service will start. There was talk of starting it when I was a kid!! 30 years later, it hasnt started yet !!
The private bus lobby is bribing everybody in sight to stop this from happening. Most of these guys will have to settle for left overs if passenger train ever takes off.

I am waiting for that day when all bus/truck business shifts over to trains and road is left alone to non-commercial traffic. That would be bliss.
Old 9th July 2007, 09:33   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
The private bus lobby is bribing everybody in sight to stop this from happening. Most of these guys will have to settle for left overs if passenger train ever takes off.

I am waiting for that day when all bus/truck business shifts over to trains and road is left alone to non-commercial traffic. That would be bliss.
Bliss indeed !! Hope that day comes fast !!!
Practically Blr - Mlr should be connected by train...The buses can still do good business even when the train is started....

Abhi
Old 9th July 2007, 10:21   #21
Senior - BHPian

I heard the days 30 years back my relatives used to travel by train between mangalore and bangalore no idea when they will resume services, report says track is ready but approval pending still. We have to wait and watch how many years they keep dragging this?

Also I heard even If train service starts its like 10+hrs journey to mangalore. Sometimes I feel India is going back with few awareness and development is concerned.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 9th July 2007, 13:33   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yesterday there was a 9 hour traffic jam at Shiradi Ghat, I met one of the guy who was stuck in this jam, he had breakfast at 4PM. Everybody please avoid this route if possible.
Whaaat ? I pity those souls stuck there for that long.
Wonder what the gov' is still thinking ?
Old 9th July 2007, 13:45   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
..Wonder what the gov' is still thinking ?
They'll be thinking abt ways to incease that log jam. I wouldnt be surprised if some hotels come up on that Shiradi Ghat stretch; offering food and lodge till the jam clears
Old 9th July 2007, 14:01   #24
Senior - BHPian

Once a upon a time these roads were brilliant, road afetr sakleshpur is bad till the ghat ends, later part is managable till BC road but again gets bad till mangalore. Mangalore to Udupi is not that great and gets bad after udupi.

Government is planning to concrete the shiradi ghat, dont know how long will that take.

Now i dare taking my car on this road

Shiradi ghat once upon a time
100_0720.JPG :: Was fun riding here@ Fotopic.Net
100_0719.JPG :: in ghat.... @ Fotopic.Net

Last edited by lohithrao : 9th July 2007 at 14:05. Reason: spelling
Old 9th July 2007, 14:08   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I think this will just be a dream as many transport companies are owned by some big politician, they would let this happen.

Thats the reason it too so long for the govenment to stop the mail culprits( over loaded iron ore trucks) from using this roads.
Old 9th July 2007, 14:09   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Once a upon a time these roads were brilliant, road afetr sakleshpur is bad till the ghat ends, later part is managable till BC road but again gets bad till mangalore. Mangalore to Udupi is not that great and gets bad after udupi.

Government is planning to concrete the shiradi ghat, dont know how long will that take.

Now i dare taking my car on this road

Shiradi ghat once upon a time
100_0720.JPG :: Was fun riding here@ Fotopic.Net
100_0719.JPG :: in ghat.... @ Fotopic.Net
Ya u r absolutely right Lohit...Infact I myself did Blr - Mlr on January 2006 on bike and enjoyed every moment (see my travelogue: Biking Adventure) and look at the sad state now...

But from ur pics in 2003, it was indeed awesome then specially NH17 between Mlr - Udupi...

Abhi
Old 9th July 2007, 14:12   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Whaaat ? I pity those souls stuck there for that long.
Wonder what the gov' is still thinking ?

This has become a common scene there, i think it will get worse as the monsoon is goning to get heavier.
Old 9th July 2007, 14:49   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
Ya u r absolutely right Lohit...Infact I myself did Blr - Mlr on January 2006 on bike and enjoyed every moment (see my travelogue: Biking Adventure) and look at the sad state now...

But from ur pics in 2003, it was indeed awesome then specially NH17 between Mlr - Udupi...

Abhi
Yae abhi, that entire trip i hardly came across any bad stretch. it was a great ride.
Old 9th July 2007, 19:56   #29
Senior - BHPian

I dont think we'll ever see roads like that in this sector ever again. Atleast, not during monsoons!!

But then, bus operators are the most affected by bad roads.. they have to take a detour via Madikeri/Mysore etc.. and passengers who can afford it, will go by air will do so, especially on Air deccan "virtual bus" service.

OT: Abhi, u do seem to make a lot of trips to M'lore for a Bong .. like the scenary there?
Old 9th July 2007, 20:19   #30
Senior - BHPian

Please change the title!!!

I thought this thread was about roads. Why have you posted pics of farm land? Eh?
On a serious note, I think this happens mostly because our roads are tarred - using bitumen. What do you guys think of getting them concreted? True, in several costal areas, concreting may not be possible, it may occassionally get expensive and in certain weather conditions, concrete may cause tyres to skid; but concrete + thin surface bitumen may solve the skidding problem.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks