Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2007, 16:46   #76
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert fox View Post
Hmmm...Good point. I was just curious to know the present and future plans(if known in a confirmed way that is), but yours is a right piece of advice.
Fox the present state of the raods suits only tractors and jeeps. so it does not matter if its open or not for the people who are planning to travel in any other mode of transport

Its been more then a year since the plight of the raods have gone worser and worser. but the governnment has slept all along. wonder why we people are tolerating all this nonsense!
Old 16th October 2007, 16:55   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
The Bangalore-Mangalore passenger train is supposed to be finally launched in Nov 07. It will go the longer route via Arsikere rather than directly via Hassan as I understand going directly via Hassan would have led to catastrophic results for KSRTC's financial performance.
That's the same-old route. There has been no alternative to this rail route, except that the railways are contemplating on adding a blore-mysore-hassan-mlore too. No guesses on when would this route materialize
Old 21st October 2007, 20:40   #78
BHPian

I am planning a road trip in my alto (3 people) from Mumbai to Thrissur, Kerala with a stop over at Mookambika temple at Kollur next month (8th Nov).

Thought of Mumbai - Belgaum and the Kalghatki bypass road to Karwar and follow NH17 till Kollur and beyond.

This seems in jeopardy after hearing the state of NH17.

Incidently, this stretch used to be very good in 2002 when I last made the trip in my 800. What are my options in hand?
Old 22nd October 2007, 12:23   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by openroad View Post
I am planning a road trip in my alto (3 people) from Mumbai to Thrissur, Kerala with a stop over at Mookambika temple at Kollur next month (8th Nov).

Thought of Mumbai - Belgaum and the Kalghatki bypass road to Karwar and follow NH17 till Kollur and beyond.

This seems in jeopardy after hearing the state of NH17.

Incidently, this stretch used to be very good in 2002 when I last made the trip in my 800. What are my options in hand?
Openroad NH17 was a dream route for many, but thanks to the iron ore trucks.. they have turned into proper nightmare.

anyways even am planning a trp to goa - mangalore next month but as far as i know some strteches are too bad. am just wondering driving down is a sensible option?
Old 30th October 2007, 07:09   #80
BHPian

Thanks Lohit. Anyway, there seems to be not much of an alternative for me. Will post pics of the road and trip in this forum
Old 30th October 2007, 10:17   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by openroad View Post
Will post pics of the road and trip in this forum
please do. but at the same time, make proper markings denoting where the road is/was, for the benefit of others reading this thread

jokes apart, the roads are in a sorry state of affairs. even buses are not an alternative for traveling on NH17. a news column in the other day's 'udayavani' daily reported an elderly persion from mumbai who was on his way to his native near kundapur, suffered a broken back when the bus he was travelling on, drove over a pothole.

the state and central gov'ts pass the bucket over this matter. when will NH17 become motorable again? will the suffering ever end?
Old 30th October 2007, 10:25   #82
Team-BHP Support

Today (Oct 30) is NH-17 strike in the entire Udupi district. No vehicle will be allowed to ply, all schools and offices along the stretch are closed for the day. My son is happily enjoying his cartoon instead of being at school.

Wonder what comes of it.

Deccan Herald - NH-17 bundh on Oct 30
Old 30th October 2007, 11:13   #83
Team-BHP Support

I guess thats what it takes to get the roads fixed?
But this is the wrong approach.
The right approach would be to have a bandh outside the Roads minister's house.
Only Ambulance, Milkman, and newspapers will be delivered, and he will be under house arrest.
That will get it fixed sooner.
Old 30th October 2007, 11:35   #84
Senior - BHPian

Am all set to go to goa, i mean drive down but looking at the road condition am getting second thoughts....plan is to go via shimoga - siddapura - ankola - karawara - goa and later come to mangalore either by shimoga - thirthalli route or nh 17. now am confused??

anyone who has travelled very recently on these routes please do let me know if its worth the effort?

i hate bad roads..grrrrrrr
Old 30th October 2007, 11:42   #85
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
plan is to go via shimoga - siddapura - ankola - karawara - goa and later come to mangalore either by shimoga - thirthalli route or nh 17. now am confused??

anyone who has travelled very recently on these routes please do let me know if its worth the effort?

i hate bad roads..grrrrrrr
Ankola to Honnawara is supposedly hell these days. Recently somebody took 7 hours to travel from Ankola to Udupi, that's less than 200Kms.
Old 30th October 2007, 12:41   #86
Senior - BHPian

NH17- here I come !! Me and my wife will be travelling from Pune to M'lore by KSRTC Airvath on 3rd Nov.

I do hope the road conditions are ok after Ankola to M'lore.
Old 30th October 2007, 12:58   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
NH17- here I come !! Me and my wife will be travelling from Pune to M'lore by KSRTC Airvath on 3rd Nov.

I do hope the road conditions are ok after Ankola to M'lore.
Nope till Honnavar its really bad, the later part its just bad
from udupi till mangalore its managable.

I think i should just drop the idea of driving all the way, instead take a bus(Airavata) to Mangalore and enjoy kaane fry
Old 30th October 2007, 13:55   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
I think i should just drop the idea of driving all the way, instead take a bus(Airavata) to Mangalore and enjoy kaane fry
Yeah.. Even I was planning to drive down.. But decided its not worth the effort. BTW, book ur tickets NOW.. Festive season rush, almost all buses/trains etc are running full.
Old 30th October 2007, 19:28   #89
Senior - BHPian

Actually in august end lot of protest made in ankola-kumta area as well last month no use at all. people stopped mines lorries and also all vehicles. contractors assured they will fix and they did without any quality work and rain started in sep. again and within 2 days everything has become still worst.

now people have lost interest and may be watching karnataka government drama instead of doing protest

People take 10 hrs to reach mangalore (300km) from karwar by car. its double time even if we take omni last year in same route.

They told me small cars getting lot of issues with body scrapp etc.. bus is best way to travel between ankola and udupi.

you will find bad stretch every 4km. i am asking my dad any road repair started so i plan to visit that area still no sign because its still raining little bit.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 31st October 2007, 10:15   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat View Post
People take 10 hrs to reach mangalore (300km) from karwar by car. its double time even if we take omni last year in same route.
There was a time when I did Goa-Mangalore in 4 hours flat !!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks