Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2014, 21:18   #7291
Senior - BHPian
 
coolclouds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Garden City
Posts: 1,790
Thanked: 513 Times
Default Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGM View Post
I am planning to travel to Ooty from Kochi on September first week.After going through this thread and google map, i found 2 routes.

1.Kochi-Thrissur-Perinthalmanna-Nilambur-Gudalur-Ooty
2.Kochi-Thrissur -Palakkad-CBE-Mettupalayam-Kottagiri-Ooty.
Take the route mentioned by Ampere for onward and Pykara-Gudalur-Perinthalmanna for return.

If you start at 3pm while returning, you can visit Pykara and hill top on the way and by the time you cross Vazhikadavu, traffic will be less.
coolclouds is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2014, 10:21   #7292
NGM
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 73
Thanked: 16 Times
Default Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Take a modified version of the second one:

Kochi - Trichur Bypass - Kuthiran - Vadakkenchery - Kollengode - Pollachi - Palladam - Karumathampatti - Annur - Mettupalayam - Conoor - Ooty
Thanx ampere,binand and coolclouds for the input.
If i take this route i guess i will be between Pollachi-Annur during breakfast time.
Is there any good restaurants with clean toilets near Pollachi,Palladam,Annur which you recommend for a breakfast?

There is another post by a fellow bhpian in Bangalore-Manjeri thread that road between Gudalur and Nilambur is bad for a small stretch.Anyways we can't expect a very smooth surface in kerala especially after monsoon.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3507776 (Need help on Bangalore - Manjeri route)
NGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2014, 11:52   #7293
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,481
Thanked: 8,372 Times
Default Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGM View Post
Is there any good restaurants with clean toilets near Pollachi,Palladam,Annur which you recommend for a breakfast?
Best option would be to have it Pollachi. Two places I know:
- Nivethas Inn
- Sri Sakhthi.
(Google for their locations)


Meanwhile I have seen good hotels along the state highway also, which might be open.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2014, 14:54   #7294
Senior - BHPian
 
suresh_gs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: KA-01 / TN-22
Posts: 1,918
Thanked: 1,143 Times
Default Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGM View Post
Thanx ampere,binand and coolclouds for the input.
If i take this route i guess i will be between Pollachi-Annur during breakfast time.
Is there any good restaurants with clean toilets near Pollachi,Palladam,Annur which you recommend for a breakfast?

There is another post by a fellow bhpian in Bangalore-Manjeri thread that road between Gudalur and Nilambur is bad for a small stretch.Anyways we can't expect a very smooth surface in kerala especially after monsoon.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3507776 (Need help on Bangalore - Manjeri route)
In Pollachi, you can break for lunch/breakfast at Sakthi Hotels. I have been there before for my trip to Valparai.
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2014, 18:49   #7295
Senior - BHPian
 
PatienceWins's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,143
Thanked: 253 Times
Default Re: All Roads to Kerala

Just came back from trip to Kerala.

Took the usual Bangalore> Salem> Coimbatore Bypass> Walayar> Palakkad> Trissur> Aluva while going. As expected, the road from Walayar> Vadakkenchery was bad. Hardly any road in most of the places.

While coming back I took Vadakkenchery> Pollachi> Palladam > Tirupur> Avinashi> Saken> Bangalore. Very good roads throughout, especially after crossing pollachi. Though I had set mapmyindia to go from Palladam to Avinashi through Mangalam, it directed me through Tirupur and I was stuck in Tirupur town during the peak hour traffic. Lost an hour because of this. Finally reached Avinashi from Tirupur and very good roads throughout, I think there was an extra distance of 50 kms through this route.

I passed through Thoppur ghat section just after midnight. There was heavy truck traffic in this route and the road was pinch dark. In many sections trucks had occupied both the lanes and just crawling with heavy load, without giving any option to overtake. A truck suddenly changed the lane and hit my rear door badly when I was crawling next to it with another truck crawling in front of me. As I was sandwiched in between trucks, I could not move easily when I could sense the truck hitting against the rear door and pushing the car. I did not stop as I was travelling with family. Dropped the car at Advaith today, claiming insurance as the estimate for repairing the door is close to 10k.

Last edited by PatienceWins : 20th August 2014 at 18:52.
PatienceWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2014, 20:25   #7296
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,088
Thanked: 586 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGM View Post
Thanx ampere,binand and coolclouds for the input.
If i take this route i guess i will be between Pollachi-Annur during breakfast time.
Is there any good restaurants with clean toilets near Pollachi,Palladam,Annur which you recommend for a breakfast?

There is another post by a fellow bhpian in Bangalore-Manjeri thread that road between Gudalur and Nilambur is bad for a small stretch.Anyways we can't expect a very smooth surface in kerala especially after monsoon.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3507776 (Need help on Bangalore - Manjeri route)
I'm not too sure if the detour via pollachi karumathampatti annur would really be worth it.. The route via Nilambur-Gudalur would certainly be faster, especially if you're going to be driving the stretch before Nilambur in the morning before the traffic picks up. (The real bad stretch on that route - between Gudalur and Theppekkaadu - is applicable only when you're travelling to Mysore / Bangalore, not when going to Ooty)

If you're taking that route, Nilambur would be a good place to stop for breakfast. Can't suggest specific restaurants since I'm not a regular on that route, but recall seeing a KTDC restaurant a little bit after you pass nilambur towards gudalur, looked decent enough from outside.
kala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2014, 20:33   #7297
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,481
Thanked: 8,372 Times
Default Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
If you're taking that route, Nilambur would be a good place to stop for breakfast. Can't suggest specific restaurants since I'm not a regular on that route, but recall seeing a KTDC restaurant a little bit after you pass nilambur towards gudalur, looked decent enough from outside.
That place is called KTDC Tamarind. Its comes before the railway station exit while heading towards Gudalur.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2014, 09:12   #7298
Senior - BHPian
 
suresh_gs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: KA-01 / TN-22
Posts: 1,918
Thanked: 1,143 Times
Default Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
Just came back from trip to Kerala.

Took the usual Bangalore> Salem> Coimbatore Bypass> Walayar> Palakkad> Trissur> Aluva while going. As expected, the road from Walayar> Vadakkenchery was bad. Hardly any road in most of the places.

While coming back I took Vadakkenchery> Pollachi> Palladam > Tirupur> Avinashi> Saken> Bangalore. Very good roads throughout, especially after crossing pollachi. Though I had set mapmyindia to go from Palladam to Avinashi through Mangalam, it directed me through Tirupur and I was stuck in Tirupur town during the peak hour traffic. Lost an hour because of this. Finally reached Avinashi from Tirupur and very good roads throughout, I think there was an extra distance of 50 kms through this route.

I passed through Thoppur ghat section just after midnight. There was heavy truck traffic in this route and the road was pinch dark. In many sections trucks had occupied both the lanes and just crawling with heavy load, without giving any option to overtake. A truck suddenly changed the lane and hit my rear door badly when I was crawling next to it with another truck crawling in front of me. As I was sandwiched in between trucks, I could not move easily when I could sense the truck hitting against the rear door and pushing the car. I did not stop as I was travelling with family. Dropped the car at Advaith today, claiming insurance as the estimate for repairing the door is close to 10k.
Why did u chose to come via Tiruppur. Many a times traffic in the town can be mad.
Glad to know you and your family are safe. It is a lesson for all of us to be careful while overtaking trucks and not to get sandwiched between trucks.
suresh_gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2014, 09:44   #7299
BHPian
 
ajaypjayaraj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: KL 11
Posts: 916
Thanked: 1,010 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Why did u chose to come via Tiruppur. Many a times traffic in the town can be mad.

Glad to know you and your family are safe. It is a lesson for all of us to be careful while overtaking trucks and not to get sandwiched between trucks.

I think he already mentioned that maps routed him via Tirupur town. That is when navigation decides to take us for a ride.

These days navigation maps available in India has improved a lot. I've been using navigation since the time mapmyindia launched and I know how many times the navigation has taken me to or through land never heard or seen before! Believe me it's a lot improved what you get these days and covers a lot more roads. And now you have the option of adding route points if you want to avoid an area in route.
ajaypjayaraj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2014, 09:51   #7300
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,117
Thanked: 659 Times
Default Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins
Though I had set mapmyindia to go from Palladam to Avinashi through Mangalam, it directed me through Tirupur and I was stuck in Tirupur town during the peak hour traffic.
Been there done that. Thanks to MapMyIndia . In my first trip through this Palladam route, I had royally lost my way and MapMyIndia took me through Tiruppur and Uthukuli and then landed me some where near the first toll booth (Vijayamangalam?) on the highway. Now that I know the route better I realise that right after Pollachi town itself MapMyIndia had directed me on a different route to Palladam and messed up things even further as I moved ahead.

This time thanks to a Team-BHP-ian I had got the exact coordinates of the junctions and major points on this route. I plotted this on MapMyIndia device, saved the route well in advance. And this time I covered this route with not even a single incident of losing my way . My advice would be to take a similar approach when using MapMyIndia. Plot the route well in advance and save the route. The device does have a funny logic when it comes to determining the route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs
Why did u chose to come via Tiruppur. Many a times traffic in the town can be mad.
MapMyIndia may be the culprit here. As noted above, even I had faced the same situation some time back. The device took me through Tiruppur and Uthukuli, places I would have never other wise visited during my life time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaypjayaraj
These days navigation maps available in India has improved a lot. I've been using navigation since the time mapmyindia launched and I know how many times the navigation has taken me to or through land never heard or seen before!
Totally agree. I am one of the earliest users of MapMyIndia, started using it some where in 2007 time frame. And Maps were really worse at that time. Now things have really improved a lot, but I still do get irritated at times on MapMyIndia's routing logic.

It was some where in 2008, and it was my first long drive with my wife. We had planned to goto Munnar and MapMyIndia readily accepted the Hotel where we planned to stay. She claimed she knew the place . Finally the device took us to the middle of a huge tea plantation on Kannan Devan Hills. Leave alone a hotel, the place did not even have a tea shop there. There was no mobile coverage and I also did not have the VHF set at that time. I had to come back all the way to Munnar town and call up the hotel folks and ask for directions. The hotel was right there in the town!

Last edited by sachinpk : 21st August 2014 at 09:58. Reason: MapMyIndia experience added
sachinpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2014, 11:28   #7301
BHPian
 
bejoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 630
Thanked: 406 Times
Default Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Best Option: (Fastest in my opinion and has good roads all the way)

Bangalore-Salem-Avinashi-Mangalam-Palladam-Pollachi-Alathur-Pazhayannur-Wadakkanchery-Kunnamkulam-GVR

Route Link
I am planning to take this route to Palakkad tomorrow (starting around 2PM). I usually take NH47 and this is my first attempt on this route.

How is the Pollachi- Palakkad road condition? Also how long it will take from Avinashi to Palakkad, if I reach Avinashi at say 7PM.
bejoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2014, 11:42   #7302
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,481
Thanked: 8,372 Times
Default Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
How is the Pollachi- Palakkad road condition? Also how long it will take from Avinashi to Palakkad, if I reach Avinashi at say 7PM.

The road is good all the way. But in the evening hours, there wont be many on this section to Pollachi. Pollachi-Palakkad may have decent traffic (I think, I am not sure).
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2014, 13:18   #7303
BHPian
 
dean5545's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: mumbai
Posts: 658
Thanked: 780 Times
Default All Roads to Kerala

Did a 3200km Mumbai-Kodungallur-Mumbai this week. While going was going to take the NH4 till Hiriyur and then turn to Mysore. But got off track when someone on road told me to take a U turn and go by the Shivmoga route which was a very bad decision. We wasted atleast 3 hours and then decided to go to Bangalore and stay the night there.

In the mean while hit a dog and rear ended a Matiz on Nice road.

Stayed the night at Hotel Keys whose experience was purely average the rooms weren't cleaned they said they will pack breakfast but in the end said the kitchen hasn't opened yet.

Next day left for Walayar at 7.00am got stuck in traffic near Hosur for more than an hour. These toll workers need to have a look at the Dahisar toll naka. After that the roads were good till Avinashi. After Avinashi till Coimbatore you will find speed breakers in the middle of the highway which will bring your speed down considerably.

Walayar to Thrissur the roads are pretty bad full of pot holes and diversions. Reached Kodungallur at 5.15 pm.

While coming back left Kodungallur at 6.30am reached Mysore by 1.30pm and joined Hiriyur NH4 at 5.45pm. Roads till then are state highways so expect a lot of speed breakers. Would not recommend this route. It's a shorter route than NH4-Walayar but takes equal amount of time. Had to be alert on the two lane roads between Belgaum and Hubli. The buses overtaking from the other side will make you stop dead for them to overtake. Nothing wrong other than that. Reached hotel Sai International at 11.30pm. Touched Mumbai-Pune Expressway at 2.30am. Did not experience any flooding near Satara as opposed to what people have reported. Reached Mumbai Malad at 4.45am. That's all I remember.

A big shout to tbhpian ranjit who was constantly in touch with me and kept directing me. Thanks Alot buddy. I can't thank you enough next time in Mumbai dinner on me

Last edited by dean5545 : 21st August 2014 at 13:20.
dean5545 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2014, 13:45   #7304
Senior - BHPian
 
silversteed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: PGT//BLR//STR
Posts: 1,977
Thanked: 1,384 Times
Default Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
How is the Pollachi- Palakkad road condition? Also how long it will take from Avinashi to Palakkad, if I reach Avinashi at say 7PM.
Avinashi-Pollachi would take you about an hour and a half. Pollachi-Palakkad (Kootupatha junction) at night time will take you a little over an hour. Palladam-Pollachi will be devoid of any traffic for the most part. Pollachi-Palakkad stretch would see some sparse traffic.

Roads are excellent all along. There is a not-so-smooth stretch as you approach the New Scheme road in Pollachi, you might even find some barricades there. A couple of potholes were there near the checkpost on the TN side, the last time I did this route, a month ago.

Last edited by silversteed : 21st August 2014 at 13:47.
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2014, 21:00   #7305
Senior - BHPian
 
coolclouds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Garden City
Posts: 1,790
Thanked: 513 Times
Default Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean5545 View Post
Stayed the night at Hotel Keys whose experience was purely average the rooms weren't cleaned they said they will pack breakfast but in the end said the kitchen hasn't opened yet.
I was just wondering why you were particular about this hotel! Its better to exit Bangalore traffic and stay somewhere.

Did few trips within Kerala during this week.

Ernakulam-Alwaye-Karukutty-Mala: Good condition, except for few bad stretches after Karukutty. Some repair work is going on Ernakulam-Alwaye section.

Mala-Athani-Ernakulam: Again, good condition and shorter route compared to above.

Ernakulam-Tripunithura-Thalayolaparambu-Alleppey: Took some interior roads to bypass Vaikom and Cherthalai towns. Roads are generally good except for some small interconnecting roads.

Alleppey-Kollam-Attingal: NH47 in good condition. Some rough surface at Karuvatta and a small detour at Kollam town (some bridge construction) through KSRTC bus stand. There were few potholes in NH but can be avoided.

Attingal-Venjaramood-Vembayam-Nedumangadu-Aryanad-Kallikkad-Vellarada-Karakkonam-Parassala: Good surface all the way, except for few potholes. Its excellent for fun driving, no straight road for even 100 meters. Traffic is sparse.

Parasala-Poovar-Vizhinjam-Kovalam-Bypass-Kazhakkoottam-Attingal: Clean surface with high traffic. Excellent for night driving.
coolclouds is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Trivandrum - Kasargode - Mangalore - Kollur :: Kerala Roads - An update convivial Travelogues 26 6th September 2016 15:46
Kerala: Speed limit on highways and 4-lane roads revised darklord Street Experiences 39 11th February 2016 08:31
Horrible private bus drivers in Kerala roads Traxter Street Experiences 33 9th December 2014 16:43
Idukki-Kerala's best driving roads? rippergeo Travelogues 103 7th June 2012 06:29
Kerala Roads - Unimaginably Pitiable condition emkay456 Street Experiences 30 1st February 2008 20:12


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 12:38.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks