Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2016, 15:11   #4186
Senior - BHPian
 
comfortablynumb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,261
Thanked: 839 Times
Default Re: Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
I started with something that's more of a my program. I'm going to continue for 8-10 weeks at least before concluding whether it works or not, just like I concluded that the typical bodybuilding routine doesn't really work for me.
Could you share your program/schedule, if you don't mind?

Cheers,
Vikram
comfortablynumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2016, 17:08   #4187
Senior - BHPian
 
fine69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,396
Thanked: 840 Times
Default Re: Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Warning you: don't get fixated by this.
Just as the musculature (after a limit) is beyond one's natural control, so is the strength (after a limit).
(the natural strength limit can be stretched by getting sumo fat though)
Absolutely! My aim is not to be the strongest man in the world, just the strongest self.
Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Could you share your program/schedule, if you don't mind?
Day1
- Bench Press (flat, no incline/decline nuisance)
- Lying Tricep Extension using EZ bar (EZ bar really makes some things easy)
- Flies (While bench press really pumps up my chest, flies is what tightens all muscles around the chest - its a feel good exercise for now as I'm not sure whether its benefiting me at all)
- Crunches on bench (Strong Core makes a whole lot of other things better)
- 20 min HIIT (Insanity or Stationary Biking)
Day 2
- Wide Pulldowns using Resistance Bands, custom setup at home (I personally think this exercise is overrated, back rows & chin-ups are wayyy better, might strike it off soon)
or
- Back Rows using Resistance Bands (absolutely love this one, I think this works my Lats/overall back much better than Lat pulldowns)
- Weighted Chinups (I've progressed from 1 chinup to 12+ chinups and most happy to notice the progression here; will be moving to Pullups after 8-10 weeks, injured wrists have kept me at bay from Pullups)
- Deadlift (for me, mother of all lifts)
Day 3
- Military Press (doing this with barbell is a mess right now, which is why I included Arnold Press)
- Rear Deltoid Fly (I'm keeping this for now because the original program had it, not sure whether I'll continue to have it in the long run)
- Arnold Press (best shoulder press)
- Kneeling Crunches using Resistance Bands (less effort compared to crunches but definitely more work for the abs)
- 20 min HIIT (Insanity or Stationary Biking)
Day 4
- Full Squat (hate it but continue to do it, progression is slowest here compared to deadlift and benchpress)
- Dumbbell Walking Lunges (works my legs much better than the squat)
- Calf Raises (I'd be happy if I add an inch to my calves in the next 12-24 months )
Day 5
- Rest
Rinse & Repeat

This my program is a modification of something I found on bodybuilding.com. Was trying to locate that page but couldn't find it right now. 70% of that program is still here but I took out Cleans/Snatches and all those jerky movements.

The original program won 2nd place in a contest but I decided to not go with the 1st one as this was much simpler and the 'Shoulder only' day (Day 3) kind of gave me a break in between (its the least tiring day of all).

Reps are very low (5-6 only) and 3-4 sets only.

Last edited by fine69 : 5th April 2016 at 17:10.
fine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2016, 17:30   #4188
Senior - BHPian
 
comfortablynumb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,261
Thanked: 839 Times
Default Re: Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
This my program is a modification of something I found on bodybuilding.com. Was trying to locate that page but couldn't find it right now. 70% of that program is still here but I took out Cleans/Snatches and all those jerky movements.
Thank you. I was thinking of changing my schedule (no particular reason, just for the heck of it), was too lazy to search on the net for and hence asked what you followed.
comfortablynumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2016, 12:08   #4189
BHPian
 
Ketan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 827
Thanked: 160 Times
Default Re: Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements

Hi Guys,

Anyone tried pea-protein or brown-rice protein so far and any experience with it? I used whey for a while a year back, do just the decent workout and focus more on overall activity level. I could see the results of me going vegan within a few months itself and like this 'light' feel of the body. Currently working on to build lean muscle mass, doing some HIT strength training as well. I'm just hoping that I'm doing right with workout part and sometimes feel that I should start taking protein again for post workout sessions 3-5 times a week since I don't have good vegan diet routine established so far.
Your experience with pea protein or brown-rice protein shall help.
Thanks in advance.

btw,
I started running a few months back (never run before) and could make it to 6/8/10kms runs twice a week on regular basis. I had to stop a few weeks back due to shin splint. thinking of taking looong rest, building the muscle strength and going back to my runs again, I loved that 6-8kms runs (almost jog, @~6.3 pace) in nature a lot and would like to go back to it asap. appreciate if you have any experiences around fixing shin splints (without taking medical helps as far as possible), will be useful. thanks again.
Ketan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2016, 12:56   #4190
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: B'lore-Manipal
Posts: 22,144
Thanked: 13,725 Times
Default Re: Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
Well you would understand what happens when somebody starts strength training just like things that happen when somebody is new to bodybuilding. The bodybuilding keeda is long over, we all know we aren't going to look like international fitness models unless we eat clen and tren hard.
So, if you have finally figured out this, why are you still doing body building?

I had this realization in my late 20s, so I moved to functional fitness routines that can be sustained for life. The kind of fitness that lets me do stuff like this at 47. Not much to look at, but functional. Trust me, once you cross 40 you'll know function is all that matters.

Name:  ezgif.comvideotogif.gif
Views: 768
Size:  1.34 MB
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2016, 14:10   #4191
Senior - BHPian
 
fine69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,396
Thanked: 840 Times
Default Re: Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post
vegan within a few months itself and like this 'light' feel of the body. Currently working on to build lean muscle mass, doing some HIT strength trainingas well....
I started running a few months back (never run before) and could make it to 6/8/10kms runs twice a week on regular basis. I had to stop a few weeks back due to shin splint....
I assume you've been working out for a few years. You would've followed the traditional bodybuilding routine too (8-12 reps, 3 sets). If that is the case, save your money as no protein is going to help you get "lean muscle mass".

You could simply cycle through any of the top 5 readymade bodybuilding/strength training programs (easily available on the net) and you could peak your muscle mass in another 5-10 years.

But if you are one of those who wish to sculpt their body with lats & traps hanging out like crazy, then you would have to shell a whole lot more on stuff which almost all pro bodybuilders use. Regular medical checkups (blood/urine/other tests) are also highly recommended so that one doesn't die in the process, though a lot of people have.

EDIT: I've suffered from shin splints when I used to run 4kms everyday. I simply waited them out and things are much much better. I haven't run 4 kms for a long time so not sure whether everything is up to date but MRIs didn't reveal anything and there's no pain so I'm certain everything is healed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
So, if you have finally figured out this, why are you still doing body building?
While I wouldn't call it bodybuilding, I would also be lying if I said I'm not enjoying the fact that T-shirts suddenly look so much better on me. For someone who's always been weak & skinny, this new found happiness was much needed.

Now comes the association of any training routine to one's life or other objectives. Functional strength is just another buzzword for simply being stronger in load joint movements and strength training improves this much better than calisthenics.

Many people associate functional strength with what functions they usually perform (or like to perform) so its associated with power, speed, flexibility, endurance and what not. However, its functional strength and not functional speed or flexibility or endurance.

In the long run my objective is to get stronger (peak myself), then learn a self-defense program like Krav Maga, continue to strength train and ultimately retire from this world practicing something like Tai Chi.

Last edited by fine69 : 6th April 2016 at 14:11.
fine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2016, 14:56   #4192
BHPian
 
Ketan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 827
Thanked: 160 Times
Default Re: Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
I assume you've been working out for a few years. You would've followed the traditional bodybuilding routine too (8-12 reps, 3 sets). If that is the case, save your money as no protein is going to help you get "lean muscle mass".

You could simply cycle through any of the top 5 readymade bodybuilding/strength training programs (easily available on the net) and you could peak your muscle mass in another 5-10 years.

But if you are one of those who wish to sculpt their body with lats & traps hanging out like crazy, then you would have to shell a whole lot more on stuff which almost all pro bodybuilders use. Regular medical checkups (blood/urine/other tests) are also highly recommended so that one doesn't die in the process, though a lot of people have.

EDIT: I've suffered from shin splints when I used to run 4kms everyday. I simply waited them out and things are much much better. I haven't run 4 kms for a long time so not sure whether everything is up to date but MRIs didn't reveal anything and there's no pain so I'm certain everything is healed.
Thanks for suggestions. I've been working out regularly for last 2 years (6 reps and 4-6 sets as heavy it can get to grow the size) with some small gaps in between though. I've been following two thoughts primarily based on the books I've read (still not completed) 1>HIT strength training as explained in body by science and 2> Strength workout as explained by Mike Mathews (bigger leaner stronger). At some points, I have difficulties understanding how things work when information from both these sources are contradicting. However, I could make my conclusions and work my way out. Decent results that I have got (body fat % from 29 to 21) in first 8 months was encouraging and I continued my work. I received even greater benefits with my lifestyle changes that others could easily notice in last 8 months though << that is going vegan (almost, except having a pizza or ice-cream with family) - we as family don't mind consuming paneer/milk once in a while type. But all 3 of us have seen the difference shredding fat/getting leaner when we have our 70% focus on lifestyle changes, way we eat and 30% or less on workout/activity.
So, after doing a lot of cutting, I'm planning to shape my lean muscle and get the remaining/stubborn fat with some HIT workout plan.
So, that was about my experience (that I was keen to share with others here) with going vegan (almost) for health reasons + quick intense workout 3-5 days a week + bumping overall activity levels in day to day life. 'The China study' is another book I've not completed yet (this is the one made me go vegan and stop taking whey etc) keeps telling me you don't need that much of protein intake that all bodybuilding magazines keep screaming about all the time, just the enough wholefood/vegetables should get what body needs and sometimes I feel is it going to be useful for me to get to my goal of just being healthy, lean and functional muscles with enough strength to take me to the average life expectancy of that of Okinawa or seventh-day Adventist folks Have a peaceful day!

Last edited by Ketan : 6th April 2016 at 15:11.
Ketan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2016, 15:21   #4193
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: B'lore-Manipal
Posts: 22,144
Thanked: 13,725 Times
Default Re: Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
Functional strength is just another buzzword for simply being stronger in load joint movements and strength training improves this much better than calisthenics.
Body weight calisthenics is nothing but strength training plus more. It creates useful (functional) strength, without over extending yourself, and without injuring your joints regularly. Most of my injuries are related to martial arts and not workout. Have you watched parkour guys? That is ultimate functional strength. We are not talking climbing steps as functional strength.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
I would also be lying if I said I'm not enjoying the fact that T-shirts suddenly look so much better on me.
I have enjoyed this soon after I started working out in 1984. So I understand the sentiment. Bodyweight calisthenics addresses this need very well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
However, its functional strength and not functional speed or flexibility or endurance.
It depends on the functional workouts you are doing. Mine is aimed towards martial arts and self-defense. I learned to do explosive pushes using clapping pushups, which is a bodyweight calisthenics. I learned to harden my stomach using farmer burns breathing technique, I can easily support 90+kg person on my stomach while breathing normally and even talking to the guy standing on my stomach. Not related to bodybuilding at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
In the long run my objective is to get stronger (peak myself), then learn a self-defense program like Krav Maga, continue to strength train and ultimately retire from this world practicing something like Tai Chi.
All these are nice goals, but nothing to do body building.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2016, 16:40   #4194
Senior - BHPian
 
fine69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,396
Thanked: 840 Times
Default Re: Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post
Thanks for suggestions. I've been working out regularly for last 2 years (6 reps and 4-6 sets as heavy it can get to grow the size) with some small gaps in between though....
There is so much of information & misinformation available when it comes to the topic of bodybuilding. As you have noticed yourself and something that I said a few pages earlier - for every bodybuilding rule that is convincing, an equally convincing but totally contradictory rule exists.

Arnold has always said that 6 hours of sleep is enough. An interviewer asked him, how can I sleep for 6 hours when my body needs 8, Arnold's response and I kid you not, "Sleep faster!!".

He's supposed to be the God of bodybuilding but I'm yet to come across a reputed page or blog that says that 6 hours is enough.

What you've done is the best thing i.e. listen to your body and see how it reacts to a particular lifestyle (workouts, meals, sleeping hours etc.). What works for one might not necessarily work for others.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Body weight calisthenics is nothing but strength training plus more. It creates useful (functional) strength, without over extending yourself, and without injuring your joints regularly. Most of my injuries are related to martial arts and not workout. Have you watched parkour guys? That is ultimate functional strength. We are not talking climbing steps as functional strength.
As I said, definition & application of functional strength might be different to different people. Parkour is not functional strength to me, rather its more closer to human body motor patterns (complex or not) than strength (not that it doesn't need strength). Anything which is in motor pattern territory (which is the building block for parkour, more than strength & body conditioning) is not really the best example of functional strength.

Some people need strength to even get up. Rehabilitation is also focused on functional strength training and the notion that functional strength training shouldn't involve machines is ruled out because rehab could be done with or without machines.

Picking up a 22kg big suitcase for airport hauls might call for functional strength for some but it might be second nature to me and would rather qualify under motor pattern, just like sitting or getting up. If handling our mobile phone all day isn't functional strength then we need to set a threshold for the weight after which it becomes functional strength.

To conclude, my view of functional strength is to be able to push/pull/pick/drop loads during the load joint (knee, shoulder, hips etc.) movements. How much should that load be, well, that's what every individual finds out through strength training.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I have enjoyed this soon after I started working out in 1984. So I understand the sentiment. Bodyweight calisthenics addresses this need very well.
I used to swim a lot. By the end of each swimming session my thighs would be dead tired. At times my legs used to shiver as I would go all out in that session. Then there was a time when I used to squat regularly also using very light dumbbells (~8-9 kgs each). However, the 1.5 inch that I gained in my thighs was nowhere to be seen during those 2 years of swimming & light weight squats.

Then the moment I hit the squat rack with relatively heavy weights, boom! Within 3 months I gained it, my glutes got better and the butt which was missing ever since was seen for the first time.

I really really doubt if bodyweight calisthenics would develop the same amout of muscles (by size measurement) even in 5-10 years which a weight bearing strength training program of 2-3 years would.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
It depends on the functional workouts you are doing. Mine is aimed towards martial arts and self-defense....
I've read your earlier posts as well and can totally relate to what you are saying vs what your goals are. Anything that makes your body look good but your mind go bonkers isn't the right thing in the long run.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
All these are nice goals, but nothing to do body building.
Absolutely, I'm done with the bodybuilding act. Apart from the initial days of excitement when I started with free weights, it was a frustrating attempt overall. What I wish to achieve through strength training is multi-fold (as stated before) but primarily, getting strong.
fine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2016, 19:02   #4195
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: B'lore-Manipal
Posts: 22,144
Thanked: 13,725 Times
Default Re: Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements

For me what gymnasts and ninja warriors do is ultimate functional strength. It is strength with flexibility and balance.

http://blog.52challenges.com/workout...-calisthenics/

The author of the above article is a former national level acrobatic gymnast form Poland.

Acrobatic gymnasts at work, wanna doubt their strength, flexibility and balance?

Name:  gymnasts.jpg
Views: 843
Size:  78.7 KB
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2016, 15:33   #4196
BHPian
 
Piyadassi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: NCR Delhi
Posts: 52
Thanked: 63 Times
Default Re: Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements

Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements-apr-28-2016.jpg

That's me, aged 45 (height 5.6), perhaps, at 15-17% body fat percentage, after about 2 months of light-hearted effort, which saw me come down from 72 to 68 kgs.

I want to take it further down to 10%.

Any schedule or protocol?.

I understand that journey from now on is going to be tough.

At present, I have started with 5x5, some plyometrics, mobility exercises and cardio for 30 minutes, every alternate day. Diet sort of normal, protien, maybe 120-130 gms, and recycling carbs.

Last edited by Piyadassi : 28th April 2016 at 15:53.
Piyadassi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2016, 21:18   #4197
BHPian
 
nareshov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 268
Thanked: 165 Times
Default Re: Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements

@Piyadassi:
Two methods I've heard of are: a. carb cycling (the scooby person on youtube has a video on this) and b. intermittent fasting (my brother-in-law reports positive results from this after having followed Kris Gethin's book for over a year)
nareshov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2016, 23:58   #4198
BHPian
 
Jaguar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 556
Thanked: 141 Times
Default Re: Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piyadassi View Post
Attachment 1501391

That's me, aged 45 (height 5.6), perhaps, at 15-17% body fat percentage, after about 2 months of light-hearted effort, which saw me come down from 72 to 68 kgs.

I want to take it further down to 10%.
Why? You are in a better shape than most 40+ year old guys. And I am sure you are past the phase where you want to impress girls with six pack abs
Jaguar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2016, 10:31   #4199
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 94
Thanked: 18 Times
Default Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements

With so many brands of Whey protein supplements out there which one is the best and genuine? I am not looking at building bulk but something to help in muscle recovery to get to through the day post workout. I recently started working out after a gap of 6 years and my body is not accepting the exercises well. I feel weak after or even during the workout and have no energy left. This after just 1 hr in the gym is sad. No amount of food or calorie is helping me here. My body gets normal after a day off from the gym. Any advise?

Last edited by v_2rahjo : 29th April 2016 at 10:41.
v_2rahjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2016, 15:12   #4200
BHPian
 
Piyadassi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: NCR Delhi
Posts: 52
Thanked: 63 Times
Default Re: Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nareshov View Post
@Piyadassi:
Two methods I've heard of are: a. carb cycling (the scooby person on youtube has a video on this) and b. intermittent fasting (my brother-in-law reports positive results from this after having followed Kris Gethin's book for over a year)
Thanks. That's something I have in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Why? You are in a better shape than most 40+ year old guys. And I am sure you are past the phase where you want to impress girls with six pack abs
LOL. Just want to see whether I can do it. Not even sure I have those ab muscles for the packs to show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v_2rahjo View Post
With so many brands of Whey protein supplements out there which one is the best and genuine? I am not looking at building bulk but something to help in muscle recovery to get to through the day post workout. I recently started working out after a gap of 6 years and my body is not accepting the exercises well. I feel weak after or even during the workout and have no energy left. This after just 1 hr in the gym is sad. No amount of food or calorie is helping me here. My body gets normal after a day off from the gym. Any advise?
Optimum Nutrition, Dymatize and many more. Just make sure that you are picking them up from a reputed store.

But more than that give yourself time. Starting after 6 years is akin to starting it all over again. A month or so and you will be good to go.
Piyadassi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Corporate Team Building Exercises - In a Rally Car! GTO Indian Motorsport 1 26th May 2014 15:11
Evolution and History of Mercedes models over years - C, E, S and SL Class and more v12 The International Automotive Scene 52 13th September 2010 12:06
Safari GX 4x4 Mineral Red - Booked and waiting and waiting and waiting and waiting... HappyWheels Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 166 9th August 2009 11:54
Happy Vishu! And Baisakhi, and Bihu and Paila Baisakh Steeroid Shifting gears 17 16th April 2008 18:43
Street and drag racing in and around LA (Illegal and legal).. chetanhanda Street Experiences 0 8th October 2007 07:20


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 19:16.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks