Mahindra XUV500 150 49.18%
Toyota Fortuner 155 50.82%
Voters: 305. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 17th December 2013, 19:30   #286
BHPian

Re: New XUV or Pre-Owned Fortuner !!

Hi ashthedivx,

If I were given the choice between the two I would go for the used Fortuner any day. Why? Well you have already listed down a lot of the positives of buying the fortuner. I think:

- Obviously when you are buying a used car you take less of a depreciation hit
- If you are lucky, chances are you'll find a used fortuner fitted with a lot of accessories including touchscreen music and video player. Many people buying fortuners spend a good amount of money on accessories. You just have to be patient finding the right car.
- If you badly need GPS navigation you can simply get one from outside. They aren't that expensive. So you have that option.
- Resale values for Toyotas are insane and I think even a few years down the line people will be interested in the first model Fortuner. (Personally if I prefer the menacing looks of 09-11 Fortuner than the new model)
- Snob value is higher for a Toyota
- You will have peace of mind. It gives you the confidence to take it anywhere and you'll love that.

By the way, in the local market White/Black colored fortuners are costlier by 50k to 1L compared to other colors. I do not know if it is the same there.

Keep us updated on what you decide and take your time. Also use the fact that it is year ending now to your advantage when bargaining.

Cheers.
Old 17th December 2013, 19:41   #287
Senior - BHPian

let me add one more perspective to it

If you are taking a loan, 1st hand is better. Used cars' interest rate is 17% for SBI Finance. First hand car loan is cheaper, in the tune of 12% or less.

If you have 15 lacs in cash, you might as well go in for a 13 lacs loan and take the brand new fortuner
Old 22nd December 2013, 10:04   #288
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashthedivx View Post

Looking at +ves and -ves I am utterly confused between two choices hence wanted word of wisdom from team.

Kindly suggest !!
So did you arrive at any decision? Any updates on your hunt?
Old 22nd December 2013, 10:28   #289
BHPian

Vote goes for Toyota Fortuner FB4*4
Not be littleling the other like pajero or xuv500w8 .

* 1% in 1 lac km being probable 4*4 hl or ll scenario and overall being awd would be very beneficial reducing even the need to put HL over mild slippery terrain

Ofcourse there will be doubts as to why 4*4 over 4*2 and why not cheaper brands.
Well its a perceived value and a choice one needs to make.

* reliable engine and cheap service than competitions.

* good service network

* good resale value. ( you never know...)

Attached is the latest svc cost.

Name:  ForumRunner_20131222_102705.png
Views: 3282
Size:  766.0 KB
roadjourno is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th December 2013, 16:23   #290
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 vs Toyota Fortuner

Thanks to the job, was a bit tied up in travelling !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by over.drive View Post
Hi ashthedivx,

If I were given the choice between the two I would go for the used Fortuner any day. Why? Well you have already listed down a lot of the positives of buying the fortuner. I think:

- Obviously when you are buying a used car you take less of a depreciation hit
- If you are lucky, chances are you'll find a used fortuner fitted with a lot of accessories including touchscreen music and video player. Many people buying fortuners spend a good amount of money on accessories. You just have to be patient finding the right car.
- If you badly need GPS navigation you can simply get one from outside. They aren't that expensive. So you have that option.
- Resale values for Toyotas are insane and I think even a few years down the line people will be interested in the first model Fortuner. (Personally if I prefer the menacing looks of 09-11 Fortuner than the new model)
- Snob value is higher for a Toyota
- You will have peace of mind. It gives you the confidence to take it anywhere and you'll love that.

By the way, in the local market White/Black colored fortuners are costlier by 50k to 1L compared to other colors. I do not know if it is the same there.

Keep us updated on what you decide and take your time. Also use the fact that it is year ending now to your advantage when bargaining.

Cheers.
Whole heartedly agree with your view points, we are on the same page.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
let me add one more perspective to it

If you are taking a loan, 1st hand is better. Used cars' interest rate is 17% for SBI Finance. First hand car loan is cheaper, in the tune of 12% or less.

If you have 15 lacs in cash, you might as well go in for a 13 lacs loan and take the brand new fortuner
Had taken up the thought intially, but wasn't very much happy to invest more in cars (liability on wheels) apart from cash in hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadjourno View Post
Attached is the latest svc cost.
Thanks for the svc cost picture, that further re-intiates my research.

Tried some fortuners this morning..

Grey color, 53k kms, 2010, Asking 16.5
White color, 79k kms, 2010, Asking 16.5 - VIP No
White color, 20k kms, 2011, Asking 19 - VIP No
Silver color, 80k kms, 2010, Asking 16.5
Grey color, 79k kms, 2010, Asking 16
ashthedivx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2013, 16:49   #291
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Grey color, 53k kms, 2010, Asking 16.5
White color, 79k kms, 2010, Asking 16.5 - VIP No
White color, 20k kms, 2011, Asking 19 - VIP No
Silver color, 80k kms, 2010, Asking 16.5
Grey color, 79k kms, 2010, Asking 16
How was the condition of the cars you mentioned above? Personally I would stay away from the 80k kms run cars. The 53k km run car sounds little interesting. The best is surely the 2011 piece if you can negotiate the price a little more. I would not hesitate in paying a little extra for a less run car. On the other hand then difference between this and the new Fortuner comes to around 6-7L which then makes one want to opt for the new car.
Old 29th December 2013, 20:34   #292
Senior - BHPian

Grey color, 53k kms, 2010, Asking 16.5 - Top notch condition.
White color, 79k kms, 2010, Asking 16.5 - VIP No - Top notch condition, tight and great
White color, 20k kms, 2011, Asking 19 - VIP No - Good condition, tires didn't supported meter readin, have asked my toyota SE to investigate further regarding service history. Mirror batch codes were also different from each other.
Silver color, 80k kms, 2010, Asking 16.5 - So so condition
Grey color, 79k kms, 2010, Asking 16 - So So condition

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
How was the condition of the cars you mentioned above? Personally I would stay away from the 80k kms run cars. The 53k km run car sounds little interesting. The best is surely the 2011 piece if you can negotiate the price a little more. I would not hesitate in paying a little extra for a less run car. On the other hand then difference between this and the new Fortuner comes to around 6-7L which then makes one want to opt for the new car.
You bet, very hard to control situation. Every time I think of shelving out 15-18 Lakh for a used car, mind starts over coming and asking me "Let's go new XUV", still heart condolences mind and say cool down
Old 29th December 2013, 22:25   #293
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
You bet, very hard to control situation. Every time I think of shelving out 15-18 Lakh for a used car, mind starts over coming and asking me "Let's go new XUV", still heart condolences mind and say cool down
Are these all individual sellers or dealers? Why I am asking is because a friend's friend recently picked up a current generation Fortuner 4x2 AT done less than 10k kms for approx 21k. The car was bought from a known person and is genuine. So you might want to wait a little more in search of that perfect car.

And yes I would still maintain that I am not comfortable paying so much money for a used car having done more than 30-40k kms. Would rather buy a new one or stick to XUV.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2013, 00:53   #294
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Are these all individual sellers or dealers? Why I am asking is because a friend's friend recently picked up a current generation Fortuner 4x2 AT done less than 10k kms for approx 21k. The car was bought from a known person and is genuine. So you might want to wait a little more in search of that perfect car.

And yes I would still maintain that I am not comfortable paying so much money for a used car having done more than 30-40k kms. Would rather buy a new one or stick to XUV.
Arey, he got 4*4 MT for 21l, only 7k kms done.
Old 31st December 2013, 01:00   #295
Senior - BHPian

I am always open for such awesome deals :-)
Old 31st December 2013, 01:03   #296
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That deal just happened in a moment, infact when he told me that he got this deal, I offered him even 22 for same car, but his dad said no for selling.

The seller was family, so no dealer involved in this.
Old 5th January 2014, 20:23   #297
BANNED

Quote:
Are these all individual sellers or dealers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerg001 View Post
Arey, he got 4*4 MT for 21l, only 7k kms done.
Quote:
I would always take such "awesome" deals with a pinch of salt. There's nothing like a free lunch, we all know it. A great deal might always be a cover up for something that the seller wants to hide ?

Someone earlier mentioned that the plus points of a Toyota were snob value, comfort that you can take it anywhere and quality and reliability and related stuff. Why this pondering over the condition, kms done and other factors ? It's a Q class ain't it ? It's bullet-proof reliable than the XUV (that's being compared here) no ?

Moral of the story : When one has to spend his own money, he would even have a look into the underpants properly. Toyota or TATA is only to decide on the price you have to pay for, a used car is after all a used / abused one.
Old 5th January 2014, 21:17   #298
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifebuoy View Post
I would always take such "awesome" deals with a pinch of salt. There's nothing like a free lunch, we all know it. A great deal might always be a cover up for something that the seller wants to hide ?
Sometimes you do get genuine run cars at very attractive rates. And most of these cases including the above mentioned Fortuner were bought from known owners. I bought my Lancer, Honda City and Innova at really attractive prices. All form known owners ( via a friend or relative) and both Lancer and Honda had run only 2-3k kms at the time I bought them.

Quote:
Someone earlier mentioned that the plus points of a Toyota were snob value, comfort that you can take it anywhere and quality and reliability and related stuff. Why this pondering over the condition, kms done and other factors ? It's a Q class ain't it ? It's bullet-proof reliable than the XUV (that's being compared here) no ?
Didn't understand your point here. Agreed that Toyota vehicles are very well built. But still the interiors and all the mechanical parts do take a beating specially depending upon the way the previous owner treated the car. So I am not comfortable paying 16L+ for a used car which has done 70-80k kms. I have always kept my vehicles with me for 6-7 years or around 1L kms. Only my Innova has covered 1.2L kms and still with us. It runs trouble free but ofcourse when you sit in a brand new Innova or one which has run only 20-30k kms, you do tend to feel a difference in the ride quality, NVH levels, interior freshness and overall feel of ownership.
Old 7th January 2014, 22:11   #299
BANNED

Quote:

It runs trouble free but of course when you sit in a brand new Innova or one which has run only 20-30k kms, you do tend to feel a difference in the ride quality, NVH levels, interior freshness and overall feel of ownership.
Mind explaining that in simple terms ? Are these virtues not applicable universally across any mechanical component / machine ? I could say the same for a Sumo or a Safari or a Bolero that has done 2+ lakh kms , no ? So where is the difference then ?
Old 7th January 2014, 22:53   #300
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifebuoy View Post
Mind explaining that in simple terms ? Are these virtues not applicable universally across any mechanical component / machine ? I could say the same for a Sumo or a Safari or a Bolero that has done 2+ lakh kms , no ? So where is the difference then ?
What I mean to say is that due to the above mentioned things which are going to grow old even in Toyota, it doesn't make sense to me to pick up a used car which has already done 70-80k kms. Even though the car is fundamentally sound and the engine would go on running for 2-3L kms or more but the interiors and other mechanical parts do get old with each km. So even after paying 16-17L which is a lot money, one may not get that new car feeling. But Fortuners are atrociously priced in the used car market. But I personally don't see a point in spending 17L and buying a car run 70k kms due to the above reasons.

Hence my advice to stick to cars that have done less number of kms. My figure for the same thing is less than 40k kms.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks