Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th June 2013, 19:25   #7561
BHPian

Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk View Post

But still, I could see(at an angle), the marks where the mud splashes were before. And now I can't seem to lose them whatever I do.

They are mainly on the hood and black plastic trim on the hood.

How can I get rid of these spots? Help!

P.S: I own a tuscan wine (maroon) Punto.
Is a common problem with the Punto trims. They get dirty too fast, because of the grainy texture. Clean it using a cloth moistened with ONR QD (thats what you have ready in hand) and spray copious amount of trim protectant. People have used Cherry blossom black shoe polish as well. For the water marks, use ONR detailer, spray it on, leave it for 30-40 seconds, and wipe off with a clean microfiber. Repeat twice thrice and it will go away. I did this to my punto this morning. It should work.
lapis_lazuli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2013, 23:12   #7562
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkh View Post
http://www.carware.in/ stocks them and they are hyderabad based. Make sure you buy from geniune re-sellers and not anyone claiming to be one. Meguiars india site also has a list
http://www.meguiars.co.in/stockist-l...mageField.y=16
This is the right place to check where to buy as you will get proper products with support.

Disclaimer: I am in no way associated with any of the above listed entities.
Do 3M outlets sell APC or Hyperdresser? Last time(4-5 months back) i had visited the 3M shop in Pune, i could not find the APC or hyperdresser on the shelf for sale.
Old 1st July 2013, 01:01   #7563
BHPian

hello

I wanted 3m micro fiber cloths and came across this website http://emahendra.com/home-cleaning-s...ber-cloth.html Can anyone tell me how are these and if the website is reliable? Though i see that the website majorly has 3m products only.

Secondly, what would be the best way to take care of leather seat covers? I have Type-I model 800 that came with leather seats. Now the leather has developed cracks though the leather is soft itself. However, it has got white lines all over and light cracks. I was thinking of going for Meguiars gold class leather cleaner and conditioner. I had bought Mr. leather but that didn't give me satisfaction. So will meguiars be a good option to treat such seats?
Old 1st July 2013, 02:07   #7564
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torque18 View Post
...Secondly, what would be the best way to take care of leather seat covers? I have Type-I model 800 that came with leather seats. Now the leather has developed cracks though the leather is soft itself. However, it has got white lines all over and light cracks. I was thinking of going for Meguiars gold class leather cleaner and conditioner. I had bought Mr. leather but that didn't give me satisfaction. So will meguiars be a good option to treat such seats?
Meg's leather conditioner is a good quality product indeed. However, leather will not crack up so easily in the first place if taken care of regularly. You can clean it with something like ONR and then follow it up with Megs.
Old 1st July 2013, 02:23   #7565
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarnava.m View Post
Meg's leather conditioner is a good quality product indeed. However, leather will not crack up so easily in the first place if taken care of regularly. You can clean it with something like ONR and then follow it up with Megs.
ONR on leather? Are you sure about this? It mite be used or art leather but I am not sure if it could be used on pure leather also. And meguiars description says its a cleaner and conditioner both.
Old 1st July 2013, 09:07   #7566
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
hello

I wanted 3m micro fiber cloths and came across this website http://emahendra.com/home-cleaning-s...ber-cloth.html Can anyone tell me how are these and if the website is reliable? Though i see that the website majorly has 3m products only.

Secondly, what would be the best way to take care of leather seat covers? I have Type-I model 800 that came with leather seats. Now the leather has developed cracks though the leather is soft itself. However, it has got white lines all over and light cracks. I was thinking of going for Meguiars gold class leather cleaner and conditioner. I had bought Mr. leather but that didn't give me satisfaction. So will meguiars be a good option to treat such seats?
I too have looked at that site, they are selling 3M only, but the cloth i am not sure is of what quality and grade. If its that small one - we anyways get that in shops also. Why not try and get some and see the quality?
As for cracked leather, it needs restoration which means dedicated restoration systems. Normal cleaners and protection will not work on that, basically good quality dedicated leather cleaners and protect ants will prevent this from happening.
Old 1st July 2013, 11:22   #7567
BHPian

Quote:
hello

I bought a 3M microfiber and safety glasses from them. Delivery was quick, within 2 days. Did not have any problems with the order process. The microfiber however is very thin if you compare it with Jopasu one, but seems to be ok. Have used it only once.
Old 1st July 2013, 16:48   #7568
BHPian

I read through the previous 15 pages but couldn't find a solution.

Recently my neighbor had his metal gates painted and the stupid painter had painted whole day while i was away. As usual there are black paint marks on the back hatch and right side doors (the sides which were exposed to the gate and the metal post). These paint marks (sort of drops) are round and pearl shaped and mostly 2mm X 2mm in size. The paint is now dried and set. What is the best way to remove these?

I have these available with me now:
Car Pro Tar X
Instant Detailer (prepared by mixing ONR with water)
New Clay Bar

Would any of these help. Would WD40 help in anyway?

N.B. I could not use the search function, since i had to search using "paint" and it returns all the posts in this thread.

Last edited by hyper-VTEC : 1st July 2013 at 16:49.
Old 1st July 2013, 16:59   #7569
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper-VTEC View Post
What is the best way to remove these?
If this was water soluble paint, you are lucky. Else, ummm ! Read on.

Try the humble ear bud and the nail polish remover. Wet one side of the ear bud in the NPR and start rubbing over one dot at a time. And if you have a million dots, good luck.

The next best is to take it to a professional cleaners/polishers, who will use a DA/rotary, and use some abrasive compounds to remove the marks.

If you got some pictures of these dots, post it here. That could help.
Mudhalaipatti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2013, 17:30   #7570
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Recently my neighbor had his metal gates painted and the stupid painter had painted whole day while i was away. As usual there are black paint marks on the back hatch and right side doors (the sides which were exposed to the gate and the metal post). These paint marks (sort of drops) are round and pearl shaped and mostly 2mm X 2mm in size. The paint is now dried and set. What is the best way to remove these?

Car Pro Tar X
New Clay Bar

N.B. I could not use the search function, since i had to search using "paint" and it returns all the posts in this thread.
Which clay bar do you have? I have removed such paint marks with clay bar very easily but of higher grade. Using any paint solvents etc is good but then you also risk ending up causing minor damage to your paint. It may dull your surface a little, which can also be addressed by a follow up polishing by hand or machine.
mkh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2013, 17:30   #7571
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudhalaipatti View Post
If this was water soluble paint, you are lucky. Else, ummm ! Read on.

Try the humble ear bud and the nail polish remover. Wet one side of the ear bud in the NPR and start rubbing over one dot at a time. And if you have a million dots, good luck.

If you got some pictures of these dots, post it here. That could help.
I dont think it is water based paint, beacuse the gate was smelling like regular paint. Will try the nail polish remover technique, luckily there are less than 20-25 dots. Hopefully this works and i do not have to spend money and go to a professional to remove these

Will post pictures tomorrow.
Old 1st July 2013, 18:36   #7572
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Recently my neighbor had his metal gates painted and the stupid painter had painted whole day while i was away. As usual there are black paint marks on the back hatch and right side doors (the sides which were exposed to the gate and the metal post). These paint marks are round and pearl shaped and mostly 2mm X 2mm in size. The paint is now dried and set. What is the best way to remove these?

Car Pro Tar X
New Clay Bar

Try Tar X + claying.
If that does not work, try nail polish remover (the cheaper ones with acetone).

I have removed paint over spray (thousands of minuscule drops) with claying, but that was water based paint I believe.

Last edited by blackasta : 1st July 2013 at 18:38.
blackasta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st July 2013, 21:58   #7573
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone tried the scratch removal pens being advertised in TV and in magazines ? Are they worth using or an eyewash ?
Old 1st July 2013, 22:43   #7574
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
Has anyone tried the scratch removal pens being advertised in TV and in magazines ? Are they worth using or an eyewash ?
The pens work at times, what they do is to thin the paint around the scratch and it moves into the scratch to fill it. I have used a pen obtained from the US and it works on fresh scratches only.
Old 4th July 2013, 09:40   #7575
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini
I have used a DuPont pen from the US. These pens have clear coat, they just cover up the scratch with clear coat so it doesn't rust. It won't reduce the appearance of the scratch, just fills it up a little.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks