Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2015, 18:36   #46
Senior - BHPian

re: Frankmehta's VW Polo GT TSI! EDIT: Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
The Cruze also turned out to be heavier on the pocket wrt maintenance. That huge diesel took almost 6.3 litres of fully synthetic oil and considering that I like changing the oil at 7.5k km in diesel cars, that's steep. Also, all other consumables and spares were super expensive! P2 in the RD box is explosive, but somehow felt like it was too much power for my torque converter to handle and I did feel the transmission slip, in the last few days of her life with me.

GT. Expensive?
Another FE click (must admit this was a Project Drive under controlled conditions solely to achieve a magical number). Left most lane with windows up, A/C off and minimal throttle inputs with maximum coasting. Jokes aside, 20 kmpl and above very easily achievable with a sedate cruise @ 70 km/hr especially aided by the 7th gear ratio.
Attached Thumbnails
Frankmehta's VW Polo GT TSI! EDIT: Sold!-fe.jpg  

GeeTee TSI is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 11th August 2015, 22:38   #47
BHPian

Another day another GT TSI review on the forum and the most interesting one by far! Boy if you ever want to change the GT TSI the rate at which you have changed other cars do give me a shout and I will happily pick it up.

I almost forgot congratulations on the latest acquisition! One of these days the GT TSI threads will cost me a lot of money. The reason i like your thread is that even i have the same mods planned whenever i day dream about the GT TSI.

The wheel with the paddles looks OH SO LOVELY! Any plans to upgrade to the Euro headlights?

Does the Auto function on the headlight switch work?

Looking forward to details on installation and review of the Android Head Unit. Seems like a decent deal given how much basic Pioneer ones cost nowadays.

I will keep an eye out for this thread and trouble the hell out of you if I ever get down to buying one. Its your fault you are in Mumbai!

Have fun mate and drive safe!

P.S. Does the name Dr. Reshamvala ring a bell (my cousin who is a prosthodontist [hope i got the spelling right])? I believe you are acquainted!
miharbe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2015, 10:37   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawan_pullarwar View Post
Keep pressed boot unlock button for few second, boot should release and raised.

Also try this - Keep pressed unlock button for few second, dont release, all window will roll down, and if you keep pressed lock button, all window will roll up.

This feature is present in my Skoda Laura, guessing it should be same for VW Polo.
I know about the unlock click. The button in the Indian Polo doesn't raise the boot on it's own. It only activates the electromagnetic lock and unlocks the boot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrome6Boy View Post
I drive a 2011 Cruze LT and am looking for a replacement. I test drove the Polo TSI GT on Sunday and liked it a lot, especially the gearbox was brilliant. While I didn't get a chance to drive it too far, I really missed the Cruze's torque while accelerating hard. I would like your perspective on this since you've moved from a Cruze to a Polo TSI.

It is interesting to note that the 0-100 timings of the Cruze and Polo TSI are comparable despite the enormous differences in the power and torque.

I am now waiting to test drive the Punto T-Jet and am also hopeful of seeing the Polo GTI this year to see if they are comparable.
The Cruze was a monster. Period. The RD box in P2 literally catapulted the car, and it cannot compare to any car below 20 lakhs if raw power is all you're looking for!
Well, the GT does have a lot of shove if you downshift (using the paddles, of course!) and turbo in the GT, despite being small, provides a lot mid-range shove. It's almost diesel-like, the mid-range and I love that aspect. You're always in the right RPM range when you're pottering around in the city.
I've driven the Linea T-Jet and though I loved the shove at 1800 rpm, I hated the ergonomics and the notch, pathetic gearbox!
0-100 and in gear acceleration times are NOT an indicator of how the car is going to drive in the city. Don't go by them, much. Unless you're a numbers guy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeTee TSI View Post
Another FE click (must admit this was a Project Drive under controlled conditions solely to achieve a magical number). Left most lane with windows up, A/C off and minimal throttle inputs with maximum coasting. Jokes aside, 20 kmpl and above very easily achievable with a sedate cruise @ 70 km/hr especially aided by the 7th gear ratio.
WOOW! That's amazing! I shall try to do this in my next tankfull!
But yes, 18 kmpl is highly possible at D7 on the highway at constant speeds hovering between 60 and 70 in non-test conditions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miharbe View Post
Another day another GT TSI review on the forum and the most interesting one by far! Boy if you ever want to change the GT TSI the rate at which you have changed other cars do give me a shout and I will happily pick it up.

I almost forgot congratulations on the latest acquisition! One of these days the GT TSI threads will cost me a lot of money. The reason i like your thread is that even i have the same mods planned whenever i day dream about the GT TSI.

The wheel with the paddles looks OH SO LOVELY! Any plans to upgrade to the Euro headlights?

Does the Auto function on the headlight switch work?

Looking forward to details on installation and review of the Android Head Unit. Seems like a decent deal given how much basic Pioneer ones cost nowadays.

I will keep an eye out for this thread and trouble the hell out of you if I ever get down to buying one. Its your fault you are in Mumbai!

Have fun mate and drive safe!

P.S. Does the name Dr. Reshamvala ring a bell (my cousin who is a prosthodontist [hope i got the spelling right])? I believe you are acquainted!
Thanks for the kind words.
Euro Headlights are not on the list, purely because a BCM upgrade becomes important as it has AUTO levelling and focusing. And with such an expensive light cluster, I would love to use it optimally. So yes, headlight bulb upgrade is imminent, but not a complete headlight upgrade.

I am sorry for the link, but I have no bought the AUTO headlight switch. I have purchased the NON-Auto switch. AUTO works if you have the requisite sensors, which our car lacks. But you can always retrofit them. It's easy to do so. There are kits available for the same.

Dr Aqeel is a good friend! I am glad to be acquainted to you this way! Cheers!

Keep in touch!

In other news, I received this today:
https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Initial impressions are very nice, and the seat is super-comfortable. The memory foam supports the back well, and resting your back on it gives you a good feeling. Let's hope this is the final word in comfort, so I don't feel uncomfortable driving long distances. In all, a good buy from Amazon.

Highly recommended!
Frankmehta's VW Polo GT TSI! EDIT: Sold!-img20150812wa0016.jpg

Frankmehta's VW Polo GT TSI! EDIT: Sold!-img20150812wa0017.jpg

Frankmehta's VW Polo GT TSI! EDIT: Sold!-img20150812wa0018.jpg

Frankmehta's VW Polo GT TSI! EDIT: Sold!-img20150812wa0019.jpg

Frankmehta's VW Polo GT TSI! EDIT: Sold!-img20150812wa0020.jpg
frankmehta is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th August 2015, 13:49   #49
BHPian

Great report as always Frank sir and wanted to ask, how much does it cost to maintain this beast? What's the average service cost like? Will help prospective buyers.
coolmel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2015, 19:18   #50
BHPian

Fabulous review. Duly rated the thread five stars.

Wishing you thousands of happy and safe mile on this new ride of yours.
Baddychat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2015, 23:41   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeTee TSI View Post
Jokes aside, 20 kmpl and above very easily achievable with a sedate cruise @ 70 km/hr especially aided by the 7th gear ratio.
Actually you can stay at the 7th gear at just above 50-52km/h if you use the manual mode. Similarly, you can stay at 6th gear @ 40-42km/h, 5th gear @ 35-37km/h. Not a bad thing to try if the road is decent, all cars are moving at a constant speed (probably under some speed limit).
deb_majumdar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th August 2015, 09:52   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmel View Post
Great report as always Frank sir and wanted to ask, how much does it cost to maintain this beast? What's the average service cost like? Will help prospective buyers.
I have just clocked 1300 km. So I wouldn't know how much it costs to maintain. But I predict Rs. 10000 every 10000 km in the first 30000 km, and Rs. 15000 upwards every 10000 km after that. Reasonable, if nothing major goes wrong in the car. My 2 year old Estilo CNG went in for 20000 km service, and came back with a bill of Rs. 8500.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baddychat View Post
Fabulous review. Duly rated the thread five stars.

Wishing you thousands of happy and safe mile on this new ride of yours.
Thank you for your rating and your wishes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deb_majumdar View Post
Actually you can stay at the 7th gear at just above 50-52km/h if you use the manual mode. Similarly, you can stay at 6th gear @ 40-42km/h, 5th gear @ 35-37km/h. Not a bad thing to try if the road is decent, all cars are moving at a constant speed (probably under some speed limit).
I do a similar thing when I don't have to reach a place in a hurry. But 50 kmph in 7th gear might just be lugging the engine. The next time, accelerate gradually in D mode and take a note of the speed at which the transmission shifts to D7. You can do it manual mode at that same speed, as the transmission has been engineered not to shift too early to cause any damage.
frankmehta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2015, 11:54   #53
BHPian

Congrats on this beauty...The android unit looks great and thinking of getting one myself.Anxiously waiting for your review on this one. This is much better and cheaper option than the Blaupunkt unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmel View Post
My first 1 year service cost me about 7K. So its quite reasonable since the service interval is 1 year

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 13th August 2015 at 12:06. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please edit your post within the 30 minute edit window to add/edit your posts.
crazyro is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th August 2015, 17:35   #54
BHPian

Wonderful review Frank, rated the thread five stars. Ze German beauty is truly impressive inside outside and its even more enriched with those accessories esp GTI steering.

Quote:

Initial impressions are very nice, and the seat is super-comfortable. The memory foam supports the back well, and resting your back on it gives you a good feeling. Let's hope this is the final word in comfort, so I don't feel uncomfortable driving long distances. In all, a good buy from Amazon.

Highly recommended!
Slightly OT, thank you for pointing to this memory foam support seat. A question though, looking at the thickness, will it not push the driver so that it compromises under-thigh support? Eagerly looking forward for your review on this seat as I am also planning for the same.
girish.r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2015, 21:16   #55
BHPian

Quote:
List of Modifications:

3. Interior Auto Dimming Mirror
Very useful because I do drive a lot at night. Connected it. And it's awesome. The whole mirror has a crystal layer, which changes it colour to opaque, when an electric current is passed through it. There are two sensors on the two sides of the mirror. So when the mirror detects a headlight or a bright light, it dims automatically. It's magic. And it's effective. And safe. Should have not been skipped by VW.
Attachment 1400902
Hello

Wanted to check how easy or difficult installing this mirror was ? I see from Aliexpress its a universal one. Was planning to fit it in my Punto.
anand.shankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2015, 23:14   #56
BHPian

@Frankmehta
Mods on your Polo GT are amazing. Especially the paddle shifters. I am sure you are having a great time with them.

Do they void warranty? Or do you intend to restore the stock steering wheel before sending it for regular maintenance?

Quote:
The next time, accelerate gradually in D mode and take a note of the speed at which the transmission shifts to D7. You can do it manual mode at that same speed, as the transmission has been engineered not to shift too early to cause any damage.
Btw I observed that D7 comes up around 58 kmph when driving with light foot in D mode. But I sometimes wonder if it is purely staying in 7th cog and maintaining constant speed that helps FE most or whether it is quickly accelerating upto say 70 kmph and then letting the car coast till it decelerates to 60 kmph and then again pushing it quickly to 70 kmph better.

Just last weekend I drove Mumbai-Nashik in the GT. On the way back while driving with a light boot but realistic conditions of overtaking with AC on and few bouts of spirited driving I achieved 18.1 kmpl as per MID. Even with a 10% error it would be > 16 kmpl which is pretty awesome for the machine.

I have a scheduled trip to Bangalore later in August so we will see how the car fares there.
pratika is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2015, 10:38   #57
BHPian

What a review, man..!

Every element of your review - the decision making, the vehicle assessment - mirrors my thoughts as I went through market assessment and then booked the GT TSI. Now awaiting for my baby.

Wish you the best of times with the white beauty.

Quote:
In a nutshell:
If you separate the 1.2 TSI engine and 7 speed DSG gearbox combination, the Polo becomes a below-average car which I wouldn't have even cared to consider buying.
Here's why:
1. Absolute lack of legroom in the rear
2. Unexciting looks ( to say the least)
3. Poor levels of equipment as compared to it's immediate competition (the i20 and Jazz)-- Touchscreen, Folding mirrors, Keyless entry, split seats etc.
4. Cost cutting in a few places (lack of leather covered handbrake, no spare alloy wheel, no central armrest, no boot light, India-specific cost-cutting-- More on that later)
5. Lacklustre alloy wheel design
6. No cruise control (a must-have, if you drive long distances)
7. Stiff suspension
8. No visual differentiation between a 6 lakh rupee Polo (entry-level Petrol) and a 10 lakh rupee Polo (the GT twins)
9. Apparent lack of lower-back support in the front seats
10. Unexpected rattles from day 1.
11. Overinflated dealer egos and high service costs (apparently, the Sales Reps are trained to sprinkle in "..because it's a Volkswagen!" a bit too often in their sales manifestos.
12. Deletion of important safety features like a double horn, baby-seat ready (ISOFIX) seat belts, deleted cornering lights in the fog light, leaving a blank for the bulb there)

So, if THIS is my review in a nutshell, and I knew all this before buying this car, then WHY did I decide to lay 10 big ones for this?!?!?!?
ipsanand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2015, 20:40   #58
Senior - BHPian

Got Osram Nightbreaker Unlimited 55w bulbs installed in the low Beam today.
Have not experienced it yet, as I haven't driven at night.

Also installed Roots Windtones in place of the stock horn. Used a Bosch relay and my electrician 'made' the wire. He's used nice, thick quality wire and inserted it into a good, tight fitting sleeve. The job is done very professionally. Also, he's mounted the horns in the stock position and they sound fabulous! Not original VW /Skoda sound, but very very loud and almost makes you cringe if you're too near the car. Good effect and much needed. It's not like I use the horn too much, but when I use it, it has to be loud and irritating.
The only thing the electrician hasn't installed is a fuse, and I doubt you need one for a horn as horns don't pull much current unless you keep them stuck for a long time.

Some photos..

Stock vw horn photos
Frankmehta's VW Polo GT TSI! EDIT: Sold!-1439564879147.jpg
Frankmehta's VW Polo GT TSI! EDIT: Sold!-1439564907991.jpg

New horn photos Frankmehta's VW Polo GT TSI! EDIT: Sold!-1439564666098.jpgFrankmehta's VW Polo GT TSI! EDIT: Sold!-1439564690737.jpg
Frankmehta's VW Polo GT TSI! EDIT: Sold!-1439564733010.jpg
Frankmehta's VW Polo GT TSI! EDIT: Sold!-1439564752471.jpg
Frankmehta's VW Polo GT TSI! EDIT: Sold!-1439564801151.jpg
Frankmehta's VW Polo GT TSI! EDIT: Sold!-1439564856941.jpg
frankmehta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2015, 00:30   #59
Senior - BHPian

Here's what came in the mail today. I won't say much, but I will surely let the photos do the talking!
Attached Thumbnails
Frankmehta's VW Polo GT TSI! EDIT: Sold!-20150814_235259.jpg  

Frankmehta's VW Polo GT TSI! EDIT: Sold!-20150814_235834.jpg  

Frankmehta's VW Polo GT TSI! EDIT: Sold!-20150815_000027.jpg  

Frankmehta's VW Polo GT TSI! EDIT: Sold!-20150815_000032.jpg  

Frankmehta's VW Polo GT TSI! EDIT: Sold!-20150815_000042.jpg  

Frankmehta's VW Polo GT TSI! EDIT: Sold!-20150815_000124.jpg  

Frankmehta's VW Polo GT TSI! EDIT: Sold!-20150815_000129.jpg  

Frankmehta's VW Polo GT TSI! EDIT: Sold!-20150815_000157.jpg  

Frankmehta's VW Polo GT TSI! EDIT: Sold!-20150815_000209.jpg  

Frankmehta's VW Polo GT TSI! EDIT: Sold!-20150815_000217.jpg  

Frankmehta's VW Polo GT TSI! EDIT: Sold!-20150815_000227.jpg  

Frankmehta's VW Polo GT TSI! EDIT: Sold!-20150815_000237.jpg  

Frankmehta's VW Polo GT TSI! EDIT: Sold!-20150815_000303.jpg  

Frankmehta's VW Polo GT TSI! EDIT: Sold!-20150815_000356.jpg  

Frankmehta's VW Polo GT TSI! EDIT: Sold!-20150815_000420.jpg  

Frankmehta's VW Polo GT TSI! EDIT: Sold!-20150815_000533.jpg  

Frankmehta's VW Polo GT TSI! EDIT: Sold!-20150815_000702.jpg  

Frankmehta's VW Polo GT TSI! EDIT: Sold!-20150815_000552.jpg  

Frankmehta's VW Polo GT TSI! EDIT: Sold!-20150815_000730.jpg  

Frankmehta's VW Polo GT TSI! EDIT: Sold!-20150815_000954.jpg  

Frankmehta's VW Polo GT TSI! EDIT: Sold!-20150815_001003.jpg  

Frankmehta's VW Polo GT TSI! EDIT: Sold!-20150815_001032.jpg  

Frankmehta's VW Polo GT TSI! EDIT: Sold!-20150815_001051.jpg  

Frankmehta's VW Polo GT TSI! EDIT: Sold!-20150815_001101.jpg  

Frankmehta's VW Polo GT TSI! EDIT: Sold!-20150815_001123.jpg  

Frankmehta's VW Polo GT TSI! EDIT: Sold!-20150815_001135.jpg  

Frankmehta's VW Polo GT TSI! EDIT: Sold!-20150815_001222.jpg  

frankmehta is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th August 2015, 00:49   #60
BHPian

Quote:

Thank you for the update. Can I ask a small favor?
Can you please post a pic as to how it looks on your car seat.

Thank you very much

Regards
Rachit
Rachit.K.Dogra is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks