Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 24th November 2016, 10:09   #601
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Hey thanks for the logical explaination! I do have the VIN decoded with me and checked it today. There is an option "S8KM - Oil Service interval 12,000kms/ 12 months". So it is indeed set at 12,000 kms for Indian conditions. It might have reduced to 9,000 kms due to higher sulphur content in our diesel. But my running being 95% on smooth highways, I would have thought I could have atleast eeked out 12,000 kms between every oil change.

I am OK with oil every 9k kms if that's what's required to keep the engine happy. But my problem is that every time I go for this oil change they take a reading from the key and change AC filter and air filter. I resisted last time, but the guy said that it may cause problems with warranty if I opt out of system recommended changes. I asked them to just clean the air filter and fit it back as it had run only 9k kms, but the guy categorically told me " NO, at BMW we don't clean filters, we only replace"
A couple of years ago, the standard setting used to be 15k kms, which was then reduced to 12k kms, and now 10k kms. And even the 10k kms does reduce if you push the car (to about 7k-8k kms).

Also it is better to just replace the other filters at the time of oil change.
Akshay1234 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2016, 10:23   #602
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by #enzowho View Post
I cannot live with the dynamics of the car which is hampered due to the rough road package.
The grip levels are still enormous and one really can't hit the dynamic limits of this car on public roads. It can handle crazy speeds.

I value the ground clearance as it enables me to take the car anywhere & everywhere, including parts of rural India. It's a good balance.

Quote:
GTO, just wanted to check with you at what intervals is your iDrive recommending oil change?
About the same as yours which is the maximum I'd go anyway. See my post on this thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The quality of oil is key to a smooth, efficient & powerful engine. Simply put, if there is only one thing you'll do for your engine, use good oil & change it on time.

What oil change interval do you stick to? I think 10,000 kms is the sweet spot. Not too early, nor too late. I stick to 10,000 kms for a synthetic oil change on my cars. I don't use mineral oil, but if I did, I'd probably change earlier.

15,000 kms oil change recommendations have become popular in the last decade. Sorry, but I don't agree with them. If I ever buy a car with a 15k service interval, I'll change the oil at my own cost at the 7.5k mark (thus keeping the interval even). 15,000 kms is simply too much for India's stressful driving conditions (short distances, stop & go traffic, low average speeds, dusty environment, extreme heat etc.). 15k intervals were introduced mainly by European manufacturers to shed that 'high on maintenance' image they suffer from.
Quote:
Originally Posted by surgvij View Post
GTO sir the tyre mechanic had suggested me not to repair the bent rims as they might get weak and more prone for developing cracks.
Would suggest taking a second opinion from another professional wheel shop. I wouldn't change the rims just like that. If replacement is required, go with Turbanator's suggestion. I'd gotten one damaged rim of my C220 replaced under insurance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeamerBoy View Post
Bhat! If you decode the vehicle VIN, you will find an option code SA0988 (for Petrol engine it is SA0984). This stands for reduced service interval. Market specific.
Thanks! Learn something new on Team-BHP everyday.

Quote:
But my problem is that every time I go for this oil change they take a reading from the key and change AC filter and air filter.
He's upselling! See this invoice from my last service:
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2016, 10:40   #603
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The grip levels ....

He's upselling! See this invoice from my last service:
Yes. He is up selling but by keeping the buyer not 100% informed.

GTO, that's a very neat invoice. You got a good service advisor.

If you notice, oil change on a BMW is just 15 minute job. It is invoiced at 3 FRU (one FRU is 5 minutes work time)

Regarding oil, the dealer is obligated to mention oil spec on the invoice. It is buyer's choice therefore to pick an oil that could be cheaper but with the same spec. Like from Castro. Should meet LL04 requirements.

Logic of filters:

AC Filter, only change when it is necessary. May be in 1 to 1.5 years. It is activated carbon filter, highly sophisticated and therefore very pricey. It's criminal waste to dump such a beautifully engineered part just for the name of upwelling. It does not void warranty.

Air filter, it depends upon the environment. If the air filter is choked, it creates a suction in between the air filter and turbo charger. Badly choked filter may lead to the oil seal on the turbocharger to give away. This would result in the impeller wheel shattering and debris entering the combination chamber. Disaster for engine. RIP.
However, it's not so scary. Just check the Air Filter visually. It has serrations. If it is choked, distorted etc...go ahead and change it. Lest retain it.
BeamerBoy is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2016, 11:02   #604
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay1234 View Post
A couple of years ago, the standard setting used to be 15k kms, which was then reduced to 12k kms, and now 10k kms. And even the 10k kms does reduce if you push the car (to about 7k-8k kms).

Also it is better to just replace the other filters at the time of oil change.
You are right Akshay. I actually did my first Oil Change at 7,800 kms (about 1,500 earlier than required) as I had a long trip coming up. Now the next one is coming up at 18,000 kms. 10,000 kms is about right I suppose. Oil filter change is standard with every oil change, no arguements. I was only concerned about the cabin filter and air filter which come at about 4.5k each. Of course, I went with their recommendation and changed all filters they wanted to change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeamerBoy View Post
Air filter, it depends upon the environment. If the air filter is choked, it creates a suction in between the air filter and turbo charger. Badly choked filter may lead to the oil seal on the turbocharger to give away. This would result in the impeller wheel shattering and debris entering the combination chamber. Disaster for engine. RIP.
However, it's not so scary. Just check the Air Filter visually. It has serrations. If it is choked, distorted etc...go ahead and change it. Lest retain it.
Scary!

I believe they go by the readings given out by sensors which are then downloaded into the key. Nice system actually so that dealers don't indulge in foul play. I've got 5 years warranty and no BSI. I've decided to go by their recommendation to keep the records clean.
Santoshbhat is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote