Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th July 2011, 00:38   #121
vak
BHPian

Finally Thar A/C as per SOP

Dear All,

Full A/c kit specifically made for Thar by Mahindra has arrived at TVS, Cochin. First Thar was fitted with the same last week. The fitment is clean and no relocation of intercooler is required. The fitment is as per SOP and the best part is, it is Rs15,000/- cheaper. A new grill is send from Mahindra, and it is painted as per the vehicle's colour and fitted in place of the old grill. The new condensor with double fan sits behind the intercooler inside the grill.

Regards

Vinshad Aziz
Old 6th July 2011, 01:15   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vak
Dear All,

Full A/c kit specifically made for Thar by Mahindra has arrived at TVS, Cochin. First Thar was fitted with the same last week. The fitment is clean and no relocation of intercooler is required. The fitment is as per SOP and the best part is, it is Rs15,000/- cheaper. A new grill is send from Mahindra, and it is painted as per the vehicle's colour and fitted in place of the old grill. The new condensor with double fan sits behind the intercooler inside the grill.

Regards

Vinshad Aziz
Could you share the final cost of installation pls?
Old 6th July 2011, 11:00   #123
Senior - BHPian

Re: Finally Thar A/C as per SOP

Quote:
Originally Posted by vak View Post
Dear All,

Full A/c kit specifically made for Thar by Mahindra has arrived at TVS, Cochin. First Thar was fitted with the same last week. The fitment is clean and no relocation of intercooler is required. The fitment is as per SOP and the best part is, it is Rs15,000/- cheaper.
Vinshad, intercooler is moved forward (along X axis) and also down (along Z axis) for AC application, if this is not done then IT IS WRONG! Now that you say a new grille was used I can confirm, it must be in the new position . Hope they used the new hoses for Intercooler.

A few questions

1. How much gas filled?
2. How much did you pay?
3. What about the wirings?
4. How is the AC performance?
5. How is the drive-ability?
6. How is the FE?
7. How is the RD Bottle mounted?

Spike
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2011, 11:23   #124
BHPian

Re: Advice on fitting an air-conditioner in the Mahindra Thar

I called up TVS Cochin and they are still clueless , and I believe they are doing it the ugly way ( intercooler outside ),If it's done as per SOP why the new grill
Now that BD is gone ,Spikey you are the only hope ...
Old 6th July 2011, 11:38   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by slalom View Post
I called up TVS Cochin and they are still clueless , and I believe they are doing it the ugly way ( intercooler outside ),If it's done as per SOP why the new grill
New grille may or may not be used. If old grille is to be used, cutting and welding of sheet metal / brackets will be required. The new grille assembly will come with all this bracketories and provisions. That is the only difference.

BTW Slalom, I'm no longer with any OEM, I have moved on from my earlier role to pursue my higher studies. Although, I am no official spokesman now, I can still guide you partially . I will be keeping any eye, so that wrong practices are highlighted and brought to peoples notice.

Spike
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2011, 11:48   #126
vak
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by slalom View Post
The new grill is a part of the a/c fitment kit send from Mahindra. As spikey said, the new grill is having all the brackets, holes and space for the fitment of a/c.

Please call up TVS located at Kaloor (near Deshabhimani Junction), not the showroom at Marad, Cochin. People at Marad TVS showroom may not have any clue on these matters.

The service centre at Kaloor is where all these a/c fitment on Thar and other Mahindra Vehicles are done.

It will cost ~ Rs65,000/- for the fitment.

Regards,

Vinshad Aziz
vak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2011, 15:30   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vak View Post

It will cost ~ Rs65,000/- for the fitment.

Regards,

Vinshad Aziz
@vak, you had mentioned it cost 15,000 less. was is supposed to be costing 80,000 earlier? or did you end up paying 50,000? Request your clarification.

Regards
Old 6th July 2011, 19:19   #128
AWD
BHPian

65k for A.C. fitment is way OTT! 25 or 30K is all what there should have been.

Will have to wait & see this install in some vehicle. By the way it sounds, looks like another jugaad...
Old 7th July 2011, 01:03   #129
nnn
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD View Post
65k for A.C. fitment is way OTT! 25 or 30K is all what there should have been.
I agree. The cost as per SOP is too high. My A/cwhich operates without any engine overheating cost me 35K. If I did not retain the heater as is the standard fitting it would have cost only 25K.

nnn
Old 10th July 2011, 23:31   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nnn View Post
I agree. The cost as per SOP is too high. My A/cwhich operates without any engine overheating cost me 35K. If I did not retain the heater as is the standard fitting it would have cost only 25K.

nnn
@nnn, could you give us more details on your installation, including the key parts that wre used.

Photographs of the installation if possible.

Thanks
Old 11th July 2011, 02:31   #131
nnn
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRaven View Post
@nnn, could you give us more details on your installation, including the key parts that wre used.
Thanks
Blackraven,

Please see page 3 of this thread.

nnn
Old 15th July 2011, 14:31   #132
BHPian

Hi Spike,

I wish to get my Thar customised to look 'partially' like the Thar Adventure (especially the front inset headlights and front grill).

Could you advise if that grill has the required brackets and sockets to fit the AC kit? or do I have to trade-off that customised grill with the one which is tagged along with the AC kit?

Cheers
Old 15th July 2011, 17:13   #133
AWD
BHPian

This finally proved out to be a hoax thread, work on Thar A.C. is still incomplete. The fitment stated here is neither final nor the best. Ofcourse not recomended either.

I think for now consumers will be better off fitting a couple of fans in the Vehicle. Like those fitted on pre-historic times when A.C. in a car was a far fetched idea. Some Amby/Fiat taxis & MM540/UV's can be now also seen having these.
Old 15th July 2011, 19:11   #134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invader View Post
Hi Spike,

I wish to get my Thar customised to look 'partially' like the Thar Adventure (especially the front inset headlights and front grill).

Could you advise if that grill has the required brackets and sockets to fit the AC kit? or do I have to trade-off that customised grill with the one which is tagged along with the AC kit?

Cheers
The grille does not come with the required brackets but can be made to. The front part of the grille which gives it a unique look is an add on AFAIK, so your requirement is do-able, get in touch with Mr. Jaggi of Mahindra Customisations team for the same.

Spike

Last edited by SPIKE ARRESTOR : 15th July 2011 at 19:14.
Old 15th July 2011, 21:33   #135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
BTW Slalom, I'm no longer with any OEM, I have moved on from my earlier role to pursue my higher studies.
Thar - The orphan?

Which course did you choose?

Regards
Sutripta

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks